Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can you imagine Hulk Hogan on bass instead of Darryl ?? (Read 1,257 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Can you imagine Hulk Hogan on bass instead of Darryl ??
Nov 18th, 2014 at 1:32pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Hulk Hogan Really Wanted to Join the Rolling Stones and Metallica
by Jeff Giles November 18, 2014

Mark Metcalfe / Dimitrios Kambouris / Ian Gavan, Getty Images

Darryl Jones of the Rolling Stones and Robert Trujillo of Metallica are two of the better rock bassists on the planet, but they’d look pretty silly if they tried to pull off a leg drop in the wrestling ring. Hulk Hogan, on the other hand, can hold a groove down and win a match with his signature finishing move.

As Stones and Metallica fans are likely already aware, Hogan tried to bring his bass-playing skills to the table with both bands at different points in his wrestling career — first in the early ’90s, when Bill Wyman quit the Stones and Hogan was thinking about hanging up his leotard, and then again in 2001, after Jason Newsted departed Metallica. He’s taken plenty of flak for suggesting either of those efforts could have amounted to anything, but as he reiterated during a recent interview with Noisey, he was always sincere.

Recalling an awards show where he’d been presented with an honor by Mick Jagger‘s longtime partner Jerry Hall, Hogan said he overheard her talking to the Stones singer about how they needed to find a bass player, and quickly put his plan in action: “She had already told me that her kids are big fans, and she wanted merchandise, so I was like, ‘All right, let’s reel her in.’ I was like ‘Look, I used to play bass. I know all the Rolling Stones songs. Tell Mick if you guys need a bass player for the Rolling Stones, I swear to God I could show up. I could rehearse one day and play everything they play. Please tell Mick, please tell Mick.’”

Sadly, although Hogan sent the Jaggers plenty of Hulk merchandise, he never heard back — but to his credit, that didn’t keep him from trying again when he heard Metallica were looking for a new bassist. “Brother, I was writing letters, made a tape of myself playing and sent it to their management company. Kept making calls trying to get through,” he lamented. “I tried for two weeks and never heard a word back from them either.”

If you ask us, the Stones hiring Hogan would have been worth it just for the sight of the 6’7″ wrestling legend prowling the stage alongside Jagger (5’10″), Ron Wood (5’9″) and Keith Richards (5’9″). Alas, it wasn’t meant to be, but you can still have a look at Hulk’s live bass prowess courtesy of this clip of him sitting in with King Diamond. Not bad, right?

Watch Hulk Hogan Play Bass

Read More: Hulk Hogan Really Wanted to Join the Rolling Stones and Metallica | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/hulk-hogan-rolling-stones-metallica/?trackback=ts...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Re: Can you imagine Hulk Hogan on bass instead of Darryl ??
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2014 at 2:33pm
This is actually a fun story. If there's ever another huge charity concert, someone needs to get Hulk involved with it.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2014 at 8:12am
What next?  Stones managed by Bobby The Brain Heenan?

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2014 at 9:12am
There's going to be a whole lot of figure four leg locks happening onstage.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2014 at 11:38am
Disregarding Keith's declaration that they are a "British band," can you just picture a gorilla-sized, bombastic, obnoxious, overly-opinionated, attention-whoring fuckwit like that trying to pull in all the attention on stage?

Puke all over me (wait that is BLEED) Waka Jawaka Oh no! not you again Blank Frigging Stare What the fuck? Have you no fucking shame? Stinky post Don't suck my cock

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

munichhilton
Rocks Off Regular

The bell tolls for thee

Texas
Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2014 at 3:27pm
I can't imagine the Stones wrestled with the decision for very long...

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2014 at 5:01pm
munichhilton wrote on Nov 19th, 2014 at 3:27pm:
I can't imagine the Stones wrestled with the decision for very long...

Yeah, it was less than 60 seconds:

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #7 - Nov 20th, 2014 at 5:50pm
Thought this thread was another Steely special.  Nanker

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)