Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rolling Stones' Charlie Watts speechless over Jagger the 11-year-old drummer (Read 3,893 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Rolling Stones' Charlie Watts speechless over Jagger the 11-year-old drummer
Nov 12th, 2014 at 8:52pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Rolling Stones' Charlie Watts speechless over Jagger the 11-year-old drummer

November 13, 2014

Peter Vincent
National Music Editor

The Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts with fan Jagger Alexander-Erber, who gifted his rock idol with a cymbal once owned by Jackie Dougan.

No-one gets near the Rolling Stones, still one of the world's hottest (and most protected) bands 50 years on. No-one except a precocious 11-year-old Sydney boy called Jagger, who calls the band's drummer, Charlie Watts, his mentor.

Jagger Alexander-Erber is the Australian drumming prodigy first seen on Australia's Got Talent in 2012, and he has three drumming heroes: The Who's Keith Moon, Led Zepplin's John Bonham and Watts.

He just kept saying 'Jackie Dougan! Jackie Dougan' over and over. He was surprised, his eyes were really wide open and he said 'How did you get this? It's amazing'

On Wednesday he managed to leave speechless the only one of those three drumming legends still living, before the Rolling Stones wowed Sydney at Allphones Arena.

Jagger Alexander-Erber onstage at the Rolling Stones concert at Sydney's Allphones Arena on Wednesday night.

He gave Watts, 73, a gift, a rare cymbal - once owned by Watts' own hero, Jackie Dougan. He was repaid by being allowed to sit for photos at Watt's 1963 Gretsch drum kit in front of a packed Allphones Arena minutes before the Stones four-star show began. Watts told Jagger the only other people allowed to sit there were his grandchildren.

Jagger wasn't permitted to play the kit and didn't because he didn't want to annoy Watts' security guard or Watts himself - a quiet man with a legendary reputation. Watts is rumoured to have once punched Mick Jagger in the face for suggesting Watts was "my f---ing drummer".

"I was tempted [to play], I had the sticks in my hand sitting at the kit and I thought 'why not?' But the drum tech said 'do not play it!'"

Jagger Alexander-Erber, with Mick Jagger after whom he was named and Charlie Watts at their LA gig in 2012.

Jagger says Watts looked amazed by the gift. "He just kept saying 'Jackie Dougan! Jackie Dougan' over and over. He was surprised, his eyes were really wide open and he said 'How did you get this? It's amazing'."

Jagger, who was named after Rolling Stones' frontman Mick Jagger, has been invited backstage with the Stones before at the Staples Centre in Los Angeles last year, when he also met Kiss and Motley Crue. Watts saw a segment on Jagger on an American television network, AXS, and the Stones' camp tracked down Jagger's father, Mark Alexander-Erber.

"The best thing is Jagger will now have Charlie Watts as a mentor. The connection he made was incredible … [although] Charlie doesn't have a phone or use email. [My son] is now known to the Stones camp. Keith Richards walked past and patted him on the shoulder and said 'G'day Jagger," Mr Alexander-Erber said.

How will Jagger cope with the relative boredom of school on Thursday after his brush with rock royalty? "I got to bed about 11.30pm. I'm tired. Tell dad I need a day off school."

Jagger studies music at The McDonald College, North Strathfield - and last week was awarded a junior scholarship, which reduces his tuition fees.

What will he say to his classmates? "My mates at school are not really into Rolling Stones at all, they are into that pop rubbish.

"If they ask I'll say it was an amazing night and we got to meet one of the most famous drummers in the world."

Jagger is these days a fast-rising star himself. He has a Facebook page with 66,000 likes and his YouTube videos have been watched hundreds of thousands of times. He has appeared with several rock bands - including Limp Bizkit and Rose Tattoo,  - and will join the Choirboys on stage at the Cherry Bar in Melbourne on Saturday night.

Jagger's band, Moon, also has a song out called Sidewinder, and it plans to release an album in February - in time for Jagger's 12th birthday.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/rolling-stones-charlie-watts-speechles...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Re: Rolling Stones' Charlie Watts speechless over Jagger the 11-year-old drummer
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2014 at 8:57pm
Amazing little boy, and generous too!

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Re: Rolling Stones' Charlie Watts speechless over Jagger the 11-year-old drummer
Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2014 at 7:06am
Cool

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

munichhilton
Rocks Off Regular

The bell tolls for thee

Texas
Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2014 at 8:01am
I was celebrating the fact that I could dress myself at 11 years old...well mostly no help

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2014 at 8:08am
When I was eleven I couldn't tell shit from Shinola.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2014 at 8:43am
wonder if Charlie gave little Jagger one of HIS cymbals (auto-penned, of course)?

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #6 - Nov 13th, 2014 at 9:15am
Great read!!
Thanks EG.

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - Nov 13th, 2014 at 10:41am
That kid rocks in his WHO tee-shirt, hanging out with Jagger and Watts.  Austrailians are the new blacks.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

AngieBlue
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #8 - Nov 13th, 2014 at 3:16pm
The kid says Pop Rubbish at 11!  Love it!

IP Logged

nankerphelge
Rocks Off Regular

Maybe being bad is more
fun than being good...

Sweet Virginia
Reply #9 - Nov 13th, 2014 at 5:02pm
How the hell did this kid get such a cymbal?

Counterfeit likely, and Watts probably knew it from the Guitar Center sticker on the back.

IP Logged

Egon
Rocks Off Regular

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLLING
STONES

A Dutchy in Marseille, France
Reply #10 - Nov 18th, 2014 at 8:50am
he ain't never gonna let that thing go ever again.

My precious!

Let the Good times Rolling Stones! - Proud member of Rocks off since 2001 ...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #11 - Nov 18th, 2014 at 12:04pm
" Counterfeit likely, and Watts probably knew it from the Guitar Center sticker on the back.   "

FUNNY !!!! Smiley

Nanky   ...... you make young Joeykins giggle .

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)