Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
In memory of Tom Layhue (TomL, Sai Wong, Willie Dixon)
With Jini telling the truth to the world © Don't remember!

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Karl Denson to tour with Rolling Stones (Read 13,267 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Karl Denson to tour with Rolling Stones
Oct 13th, 2014 at 6:58pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Karl Denson to tour with Rolling Stones

Veteran San Diego saxophonist signs on for 9 concerts this month and next in Australia & New Zealand with Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and company.

By George Varga  OCT. 13, 2014

Karl Denson

Karl Denson has a very sound reason for abruptly canceling the six shows he was scheduled to perform between Friday and October 25 with his funk-jazz band Tiny Universe, including an Oct. 24 date at the North Park Theatre.

The veteran San Diego saxophonist has just been selected to tour with the biggest band in the universe, the Rolling Stones, who have hired Denson to perform nine concerts in Australia and New Zealand. He flies out Friday to begin rehearsing down under with the Stones. His first date with the band will be Oct. 25 stadium date in Adelaide, Australia.

Denson is no stranger to big-name gigs. He embarks on annual amphitheater tours as a member of San Diego jam band Slightly Stoopid and has also worked with Lenny Kravitz, the Allman Brothers Band, Steve Winwood and such jazz greats as guitarist John Scofield, bassist Dave Holland and drummer Jack DeJohnette.

But doing a Rolling Stones' stadium tour with Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Ron Wood and the band's elite touring lineup will take him into a rarefied performing world that few musicians get to experience. He'll be joining a sax section that includes longtime band collaborator Bobby Keys and Tim Ries, who has been on board for tours by the Stones since the 1990s.

"This is way beyond my wildest dreams, for sure!" Denson, 57, said Monday, speaking from his Scripps Ranch home. "I wouldn’t have even put it on my bucket list, because I would have considered it ludicrous (to contemplate)."

Denson is the co-founder of the San Diego band Greyboy Allstars. His upcoming tour with the Stones is the result of a recommendation from Lenny Kravtiz, with whom he toured and recorded in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and again in 2008.

Kravitz phoned Denson several times on Oct. 2, while the saxophonist was rehearsing at home with fellow Slightly Stoopid saxophonist DeLa. Since Kravitz was calling from a blocked number, Denson didn't know who the missed calls were from, let alone why Kravitz was contacting him.

"When he called a fourth time, I answered," Denson said. "Lenny told me he had received a call, and that: 'Somebody needs a sax player to go on road.' My initial response was: 'I don't think I'm the right guy. I just finished my summer tour (With Slightly Stoopid) and I'm doing weekend warrior stuff for the rest of the year, so I can be home with my family.'

"Then, Lenny said: 'I think you'll want to take this,' and that it was the Stones and he'd recommended me.

After that, I sent out some of my music to them. They got it, liked it took it committee (for a band vote). A week later, I was on a Skype conference with Mick. That was this past Thursday; it all transpired pretty quickly."

Asked what it was like talking music and business with Jagger, Denson replied: "You know, it was pretty mellow. He'd already decided to hire me and asked me about what I'd been doing. He said: 'You were with Lenny from this time to that time?' I said: 'Yeah. I left to do my own thing.' Then he said: 'Have you been doing your own stuff since then?' I said: 'Yes.'

"He explained to me about the nine shows we'd be doing and the logistics of getting together with the other sax player and sussing out the material. It was, like, a 10-minute Skype call."

By coincidence, Denson did a North American concert tour in 2012 billed as "Karl Denson's Tiny Universe presents the Rolling Stones' album, 'Sticky Fingers,' in its entirety." He threw in a recording from that tour, including his version of the Stones' sax-happy "Can't You Hear Me Knocking," with the samples of his music that he sent to the legendary band before they hired him.

"Mick mentioned that when we spoke," Denson said. I asked him if he wanted me to play Bobby Keys' (original) sax solo, verbatim. He said I'd get some chances to play alongside Bobby on other stuff, where I could quote or not quote (the original recordings).

"I told Mick that when I was in college when I was 18, and had just started playing nightclub gigs, it was a regular occurrence where these random, drunken guys would stumble up to me, and go: 'Hey, man, can you play some Bobby Keys?' I didn’t really know who Keys was at time. After the third third or fourth inebriated patron hit me up to 'Play some Keys,' I figured out who he was. 'Oh, he's the guy with the Stones.' So I've been familiar with him for a long time."

Since none of the Stones' touring band members use sheet music, Denson will need to memorize all his sax parts. Before he flies to Australia for rehearsals, he has been glued to YouTube, watching as many recent concerts by the band as he can find.

"I've been listening to their concerts in their entirety to get the vibe," said Denson, who slyly added: "since I couldn't afford to go to any of their (2013 U.S.) shows!"

Did the saxophonist share that tidbit about high ticket prices with Jagger?

Denson roared with laughter.

"No!" he replied, before assuming a more serious tone.

"I had to cancel some (Tiny Universe) shows and the Stones were kind enough to help me out with a signing bonus, so I won't lose my shirt to get out of town (to go to Australia). I feel honored they were that interested in me doing the gig."

At 57, Denson is too old to be a fan boy, even when dealing with the world's most famous rock band. But he does have a topic he hopes to discuss, should the opportunity arise.

"I know what my first question for Mick and Keith and the guys will be," he said . It's: 'What was it like as a kid to hear (blues pioneer) Howlin' Wolf for the first time?'

"Because I remember what it was like when I first heard certain music when I was young. I know, for myself, that when I discovered Howlin' Wolf 10 years ago, it was the most mind-blowing thing, ever. And I want to pick the brains of the guys in the Stones about that. Because it must have been insane for a little English kid to hear Howlin' Wolf!"

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/oct/13/karl-denson-to-tour-with-the-rolling-...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: New sax player added for the Australian tour
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2014 at 4:11pm

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Re: New sax player added for the Australian tour
Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2014 at 6:16pm
we predicted this.

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity
Unholy Trinity Admin

ROCKS OFF RULES

Belfast/Santander/Mexico City
Re: Karl Denson to tour with Rolling Stones
Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2014 at 6:48pm
Edith Grove wrote on Oct 14th, 2014 at 4:11pm:

Cheers. Threads spliced.

The Administrators' account
IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2014 at 6:53pm
we must stand together or we will fall apart.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2014 at 4:43am
from the Stones' official facebook and twitter account :

Due to being a bit under the weather, Bobby Keys will not be joining the Stones on the Australian and NZ tour dates... Bobby is under doctor's orders to take it a bit easy for the next month and hopes to see everyone soon.

get well soon, Bobby.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2014 at 5:38am
Some Guy wrote on Oct 14th, 2014 at 6:53pm:
we must stand together or we will fall apart.

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2014 at 9:57am
I'm sorry Bobby is ill, but I'm looking forward to hearing this cat do his thing.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #8 - Oct 15th, 2014 at 10:36am
Steel Wheels wrote on Oct 15th, 2014 at 9:57am:
I'm looking forward to hearing this cat do his thing.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 5:03pm
Frenchmen Theatre moves forward without Karl Denson, and other Frenchmen Street notes

Patrons enter the Frenchmen Theatre, also called the Festival Hall Theatre, through an entrance that leads down a hallway along the side of Bamboula's, at 514 Frenchmen Street. (Photo by Keith Spera, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune)

Keith Spera, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
on October 17, 2014

Rounding up recent developments along the ever-evolving, increasingly crowded Frenchmen Street entertainment district. ... Operators of the Frenchmen Theatre, the multi-use space behind Bamboula's in the 500 block of Frenchmen, had hoped to boost the venue's profile as a live music destination with two free Halloween weekend concerts featuring jam-band saxophonist Karl Denson's Tiny Universe. But this week, Denson backed out after receiving a better offer: to fill in for ailing Rolling Stones saxophonist Bobby Keys during a tour of New Zealand and Australia.

Denson's last-minute cancellation didn't sit well with the theatre's Vaughn Mordenti. The club had already spent money to advertise what would have been Tiny Universe's Frenchmen Street debut, including a full-page ad in OffBeat magazine.

In Denson's place, Mordenti has booked a local double bill for the Frenchmen Theatre on Oct. 31: Spyboy at 9:30 p.m., followed by the Pentones around midnight. Admission is free. No replacement show is as of yet scheduled for Nov. 1.

Since opening this spring, the Frenchmen Theatre has presented live music only sporadically. The space has also billed itself as Festival Hall Theatre when hosting theatrical shows, comedy shows, murder-mysteries and corporate and private events.

Along with Bamboula's, the Frenchmen/Festival Hall Theatre occupies the former home of Laborde Printing Company. The building, which included a residence on its second floor, dates to at least the 1870s. Like the Maison next door, it was once used as a stable for mules.

It had been vacant for years when developers Joseph Ascani and Guy Olano III, looking to expand their entertainment empire to Frenchmen Street, secured a long-term lease from building owner Andre Laborde. Ascani and Olano own numerous businesses in the French Quarter and beyond, including Fiorella's, Last Call Sports Bar & Grill, Temptations and the Dock bars in Slidell and Pensacola, Fla.

Mordenti says he spent a couple of months pondering the dilapidated Laborde space, with its blackened floors, leaky roof and crumbling walls, before sketching out two separate venues within the same building.

Bamboula's is a combination bar/music club that also serves food. Mostly local bands play on a modest stage in the corner. The building's original tile floor was restored, as was the pressed tin that lines the ceiling and a column; a team of a half-dozen craftsman with wire brushes spent two months cleaning the ceiling tin.

The larger, rear space, the Theatre, is accessed via a separate Frenchmen Street entrance and a hallway that runs along Bamboula's left side. It can accommodate around 500 people for a standing-room-only concert, less when tables and chairs are in place.

The room was built to Mordenti's specifications. The ceilings and walls are soundproofed. The stage is especially sturdy, framed by 4" x 4" and 2" x 6" planks. Layers of plywood, soundproofing material and sand prevent sound waves, especially bass, from escaping, and ensure the stage doesn't bounce. "I could put 50 people up there jumping up and down, and it won't budge," Mordenti said.

Additionally, the stage's cypress-board face is concave, so patrons can't lean up against it; a raised lip is intended to discourage the setting of drinks on the stage.

A separate circuit powers the stage, to isolate performances from electrical problems that may crop up elsewhere. Mordenti spent hours adjusting the sound board to the room's acoustics, so as to minimize feedback and distortion.

Upstairs, the former Laborde residence was converted into a green room for musicians, as well as a party room that accesses a newly constructed balcony overlooking Frenchmen Street.

"The object was to make this place right," Mordenti said. "This went above and beyond what I ever expected."

Mordenti is another colorful addition to Frenchmen Street's cast of characters. He first came to New Orleans in 1971. That same year, he was the production manager for the infamously chaotic Celebration of Life music festival near McCrea, in rural southwest Louisiana. For years, he spent most of his time on the road, traveling with various productions. In the latter part of his career, he worked with traveling Bollywood productions that originated in India's film capital.

Along the way he obtained leases on eight Bourbon Street balconies and built a private business renting them for members-only parties via BourbonBalcony.com.

After retiring from the road, he wanted to run a venue of his own, and got his chance thanks to Olano's and Ascani's latest project.

"I want to do it all right here," says Mordenti, who, proudly, does not have a title. "I'm the guy who hangs out. I pretty much live in here."

He books most of the nighttime shows; the late-afternoon Bamboula's bookings are handled by John Saavedra, a guitarist in gypsy jazz ensemble the New Orleans Swinging Gypsies.

Given the operators' resumes, the Bamboula's/Frenchmen Theatre project "had a reputation of being a 'Bourbon Street venue,'" Saavedra said. "That's something we're trying to change. We're becoming a legitimate part of Frenchmen Street."

Before the end of the year, Bamboula's should have a new neighbor immediately to its right, at 520 Frenchmen St. A new, three-story structure, erected on what was the parking lot of Laborde Printing Company, is nearing completion.

The as-yet-to-be-named project reportedly will feature a restaurant/bar with table seating and a small stage on the ground floor; a rear courtyard; a second floor to accommodate overflow from the first-floor restaurant and to host private functions; and three apartments on the third floor. The brick structure was designed to look like a historic New Orleans building, with balconies and Spanish cedar millwork on the doors.

The Blue Nile sits to the new club's right. In addition to Bamboula's, that block also boasts Maison, the Praline Connection restaurant and the Three Muses restaurant/bar.

The three partners in the venture are C.J. Minor and Guy Paternostro of C&G Construction and former 2nd District assessor Claude Mauberret. Minor and his partners, who will use an outside operator to actually run the club, originally wanted to open in 2013. Construction was delayed, he's said, due in large part to permitting issues, especially with the city's Historic District Landmarks Commission.

This spring, they still held out hope that they would be in business this summer. They now hope to open in the coming weeks.

In the months since the owners of Maison acquired the Dragon's Den, they have overseen an extensive renovation of the two-story club at 435 Esplanade Ave., just around the corner from the foot of Frenchmen Street.

The main second-floor space has been opened up, and the stage moved against the front wall. The courtyard has been revitalized, and bathrooms totally rebuilt.

And the proprietors of Three Muses are now in charge of the Dragon's Den menu.

Music writer Keith Spera can be reached at [email protected] or 504.826.3470. Follow him on Twitter @KeithSpera.

http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2014/10/frenchmen_theatre_looks_ahead.html#i...

IP Logged

Deathgod
Rocks Off Regular

The Artist Formerly Known
as Daethgod

Ocean Grove Australia Earth
Reply #10 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 7:18pm
Phil Kauffman has posted on FB that Bobby is in hospital ICU

RO old skool : Posts: 1170 | Registered: Nov 2002

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #11 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 7:21pm
Very bad news, thanks for posting

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #12 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 11:15am
" Phil Kauffman has posted on FB that Bobby is in hospital ICU  "

Get Well Soon Bobby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #13 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 1:42pm
Hope Bobby gets well soon!

FotiniD  
IP Logged

AngieBlue
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #14 - Oct 19th, 2014 at 12:29am
Get Well Soon Bobby!

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #15 - Oct 19th, 2014 at 1:00pm
Yeah I too am sorry to hear about Bobby, I hope he pulls through. I'm also a little excited t hear the new guy. My question is, why was Lenny Kravitz in a position to recommend someone? I don't get the Kravitz-Stones connection on this, since wen is Lenny involved in the Stones decision making process?

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #16 - Oct 19th, 2014 at 3:49pm
Bitch wrote on Oct 19th, 2014 at 1:00pm:
Yeah I too am sorry to hear about Bobby, I hope he pulls through. I'm also a little excited t hear the new guy. My question is, why was Lenny Kravitz in a position to recommend someone? I don't get the Kravitz-Stones connection on this, since wen is Lenny involved in the Stones decision making process? 

He is not...but he is in a position to make a recommendation to the band, or more specifically, to Mick.
The established, branded, music community is very well connected, especially thru agents and such. I could see in this case, Chuck may have had a short list and when Denson's name and resume came up, eyebrows raised, and Jagger took to Lenny's recommendation.

Once feelers are put out there, the response can be quick and solid. It's not like putting out an ad in the trades...

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #17 - Oct 19th, 2014 at 4:19pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Oct 19th, 2014 at 3:49pm:
Bitch wrote on Oct 19th, 2014 at 1:00pm:

He is not...but he is in a position to make a recommendation to the band, or more specifically, to Mick.
The established, branded, music community is very well connected, especially thru agents and such. I could see in this case, Chuck may have had a short list and when Denson's name and resume came up, eyebrows raised, and Jagger took to Lenny's recommendation.

Once feelers are put out there, the response can be quick and solid. It's not like putting out an ad in the trades...

This makes sense but I didn't know MICK and Lenny are in the mutual admiration club.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #18 - Oct 19th, 2014 at 6:45pm
Bitch wrote on Oct 19th, 2014 at 4:19pm:
This makes sense but I didn't know MICK and Lenny are in the mutual admiration club.

« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2014 at 2:44pm by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #19 - Oct 20th, 2014 at 9:43am
Glad we don't have news, in this case no news are good news (I guess so)

This was the header for Bobby

The suffering bastards at the Highline Ballroom, NYC - August 23, 2012. © Brian Hineline/Retna Ltd

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

AngieBlue
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #20 - Oct 20th, 2014 at 2:09pm
I'm with you Voo.  Hoping no news is good news.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #21 - Oct 20th, 2014 at 8:43pm
Does anyone know what's wrong with Bobby? RS.com's "under the weather" comment doesn't sound too serious...

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #22 - Oct 20th, 2014 at 9:30pm
There was a report on Twitter that he's in the ICU. I saw it on one of the other forums...I think it was IORR.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #23 - Oct 20th, 2014 at 9:40pm
Steel Wheels wrote on Oct 20th, 2014 at 9:30pm:
There was a report on Twitter that he's in the ICU. I saw it on one of the other forums...I think it was IORR.

Probably here, it was posted in this thread on Friday, just check above the post by Deathgod that's why we made a three-day header with "get well" wishes

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #24 - Oct 21st, 2014 at 5:19am
You know it HAS to be serious for Bobby to miss any gigs.
I'm worried.

SENDING PRAYERS AND HEALING THOUGHTS TO BOBBY KEYS!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)