Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
This day in 1963 - the Stones' first tour begins (Read 3,947 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
This day in 1963 - the Stones' first tour begins
Sep 29th, 2014 at 7:04pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
THE ROLLING STONES FIRST TOUR

When the Rolling Stones began gigging seriously, in early 1963, they played in and around London, mostly clubs and pubs. In mid July they drove the 268 miles north to play the Alcove Club in Middlesbrough, their first gig away from their home, and over the ensuing 76 days they went on a whirlwind of clubs and ballrooms throughout the UK. All this was in support of their debut single, ‘Come On’ that came out in early June and it paid off because at the end of August the band reached No.20 on the NME chart. But these were just random gigs, opportunistically put together by their managers who were eager to get them as much exposure as possible.

It was in June that the band heard from their co-manager, Eric Easton that he had secured them a slot on a prestigious package tour in the autumn, which was to star the Everly Brothers, they had already had 4 No.1 records, and Bo Diddley. According to Brian Jones in an interview for a pop paper at the time, “This is a wonderful break for us and we’re looking forward to meeting the American duo. For the present we are coping with plenty of dates in and around the London area. We don’t hear enough about the London scene in these days of Liverpool domination, but we’re hoping we’ll fly the flag of the Capital when we get on our tour”

The Rolling Stones first tour – 30 dates in 36 days – got under way on Sunday 29 September at London’s New Victoria Theatre and according to a report in the NME, the week before the opening night, the band was really looking forward to one thing more than anything else. “For us, the big thrill is that Bo Diddley will be on the bill! He’s been one of our great influences. It won’t be a case of the pupils competing with the master, though. We’re dropping from our act on the tour all the Bo Diddley numbers we sing”

Package tours were very much a 60’s phenomenon, with as many acts packed onto the bill as a promoter could squeeze into two hours; two hours that included an interval so that fans could cool down with an ice cream. Stage managing such a fast paced show was no mean feat and for this tour promoter Don Arden, father of Sharon, the future Mrs Ozzy Osbourne, hired one of the best in the business, Peter Grant, who would a few years later manage Led Zeppelin.

Compered by comedian, Bob Bain the opening act was a long forgotten band called The Flinstones, followed by Mickie Most, who had made No.45 on the charts in July with a song called ‘Mr Porter’ (he became a very successful record producer, among his hits was the Animals, ‘House of The Rising Sun’), then the Stones and Bo Diddley who closed the first half of the show. The Flintstones and then Bob Bain got the second half underway and prior to the bill topping Everlys, British singer Julie Grant who had a couple of minor hits earlier in the year did her turn; she was only on the bill because Eric Easton managed her.

Tour programme

Even in the first week it became clear that the Everlys, whose star had waned since the coming of the Beatles and the other beat groups, were not selling enough tickets. According to Don Arden, “The Everly Brothers had definitely had it. I phoned up Little Richard and said ‘Richard you’ve gotta help me out’ He said ‘Ok’.” And he did and by the time the tour reached Watford’s Gaumont cinema, its seventh date, the American was added to the bill.

The stones set lasted barely 10 minutes and to begin with they played ‘Poison Ivy’, ‘Fortune Teller’, ‘Come On’ and ‘Money’. As the tour progressed they substituted ‘Roadrunner’ and ‘Memphis Tennessee’, quickly dropping ‘Come On’ which none of the band liked.

On 6 October after the Stones did their ten minute set at the second show in Cardiff they all jumped in their new VW van and drove to London to record what was to be their new single at De Lane Lea Music in Soho. It was a cover of the Beatles’ ‘I Wanna Be Your Man’, and soon afterwards the Stones introduced it into their set.

According to Bill Wyman it was in Cardiff that Little Richard went down a storm. “Little Richard brought the house down, when he jumped off-stage, went up the centre aisle followed by members of the audience, out the front doors, then back in through a side exit and back onstage. He then proceeded to partly undress and throw pieces of clothing into the crowd. He performed way past his scheduled time. His manager would stand side-stage and yell to him ‘Richard! Stop preaching’, to get him off.” His set was normally ‘Long Tall Sally’, ‘Rip It Up’, ‘Tutti Frutti’, and ‘Lucille’ – it doesn’t come more high-octane than that!

Most people who witnessed this tour were not there to see the Stones and that included the journalists. A few days after the opening night the NME’s reporter noted, “I can freely admit to bewilderment at recognition of the Rolling Stones. They won great appreciation for ‘Poison Ivy’, ‘Fortune Teller’, their hit parade success ‘Come On’ and ‘Money’. But not from me”. By the time the Stones got to Southend, the 5th night of the tour, the local paper decreed, “We couldn’t really give a verdict on the Stones, the up and coming young group with the caveman hairstyles, because we hardly understood a word they sang, but the teenage girls screamed, and they are the ones who put such groups on the recording map”

The Stones certainly had fun. According to Mick Jagger at the time, “We all used to bowl along to the Everly’s dressing room and sort of join forces, just for kicks. Can you imagine it? That night we were singing numbers like ‘La Bamba’, and going mad with tambourines and maracas at the same time! It really was fantastic. The Everlys, really are artists. The first thing that strikes you about them is their professionalism – and that Don is the most talkative of the two.” Bill Wyman later said, “On Friday 4 October Little Richard flew in from America to join the tour the following day, while we played two shows in Guildford. In the interval we jammed backstage with Bo Diddley, the Everlys and their band. We played a lot of Elmore James songs, with Brian playing slide. You should have seen Bo’s face when Brian pulled off the licks perfectly.”

In the souvenir programme for sale on the tour Mick was quoted as saying, “I give the Stones about another two years”

Fifty plus years later the Stones are still touring, although these days their set is a little longer than 10 minutes…and they still don’t play, ‘Come On’...

http://www.udiscovermusic.com/rolling-stones-first-tour
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2014 at 7:05pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Re: This day in 1963 - the Stones' first tour begins
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2014 at 8:15pm
Cool! I wanna be back in time to be a witness!

Dis anybody here attend shows in 1963?

Ulf?? As far as I remember he attended the very first one in 1962!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2014 at 8:18pm
anybody complain about the setlist?

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2014 at 8:20pm
LOL

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2014 at 8:21pm
Today's header is to honour this day in music history

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #5 - Sep 29th, 2014 at 8:58pm
mojoman wrote on Sep 29th, 2014 at 8:18pm:
anybody complain about the setlist?

Their second year in the business, and already a warhorse-laden setlist:    stu-smiling

Mona

Route 66

Ain't That Lovin' You Baby

Poison Ivy

Talkin'Bout You

Tiger In Your Tank

Little Egypt

Bright Lights Big City

Fortune Teller

I'm A King Bee

Cops And Robbers

Poison Ivy

Close Together

Come On

You Can Make It if You Try

No Money Down

I'm Alright

Soon Forgotten

Money

Honest I Do

Dimples

I'm A King Bee

Shame,Shame,Shame

Route 66

Can I Get A Witness

Pretty Thing

You Better Move On

Talkin' Bout You

Roll Over Beethoven

Bye Bye Johnny

Bright Lights,Big City

Nadine

Memphis Tennessee

Talkin' Bout You

You Better Move On

Honest I Do

You Can't Judge A Book

I Just Want To Make Love To You

Bye Bye Johnny

Memphis Tennessee

Around & Around

Honest I do

I Want You To Know

Beautiful Delilah

I Want To Be Loved

I'm Bad Like Jesse James

Jaguar & The Thunderbird

Beautiful Delilah

Little Egypt

Memphis Tennessee

I'm Alright

Walking The Dog

Pretty Thing

Hey Crawdaddy

.......copied from Gazza's setlist 1963 page. Couldn't get it to link for some reason. Smiley

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #6 - Sep 29th, 2014 at 8:59pm

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 5:36am

Was Stu already out of the line up by this time??

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #8 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 5:45am
Paranoid Android wrote on Sep 30th, 2014 at 5:36am:
Was Stu already out of the line up by this time??

From Wikipedia:

Among strategies devised and executed by Oldham to propel the group to success:

firing or demoting Ian Stewart from onstage keyboard player in May, 1963 to studio-only play. This was to keep their public appearance as a five man group of slender young men; Oldham said that six was too many and Stewart was five years older, stockier with a square jaw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Loog_Oldham

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #9 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 9:25pm
I asked Andrew about it, this was his answer

“Gerardo, I did not fire Stu, that was not within my power to do. I just told the Stones that I did not think the English public, because that's all we were dealing with at the time, were capable of being sold an image factor that contained six people. If the band had said, "Andrew, you can't do that" then Stu would have stayed in the band. This would have made a great difference as to what their future would have been and raises the question of whether you'd have been writing me a letter today on any issue on the Stones, had Stu stayed.

"I don't know but I was right at the time. How do I feel as a man in his mid-fifties with knowledge now about decisions that cause pain to others? Obviously different, but we were teenagers or in our early twenties, well, all except Bill, and at that age youth is invincible and does not know the meaning of hurt, except in matters of the teenage heart. It remains a good decision. If you saw a member of Supertramp or Los Lobos down on the corner I doubt you'd recognise more than one or two members. Life's got a short attention span when you work from nine to five and need to be entertained. Pop music is not a memory test, it's an escape and an entertainment. Over the years the Stones have got away with "Andrew fired Stu" - life is not as simple as they'd like that statement to be."

Andrew Loog Oldham June 2001

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #10 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 9:30pm
That was taken from our very old space for Stu here at Rocks Off

http://www.rocksoff.org/ian.htm

Then go to the "Stu on the Road" section

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #11 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 9:39pm
Thanks Voodoo for asking Andrew that important question. I often thought MICK/KEEF agreed with his comments about Stu and went along with it believing it was the right course of action. I also think Stu was OK with it. So now I know it wasn't just about Stu's looks, it was also about a 5 person band is easier for the fans to remember than a 6 person band. There is a truth to that. Damn after all these years I thought he was wrong, and now I finally understand it! 

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #12 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 10:10pm
Thank you, Gerardo.  stu-smiling

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #13 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 10:23pm
Thanks for the history lesson...VooDoo...your information is so much better than Wiki......you can't just google that shit, now can you?!?

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #14 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 10:26pm
LOL now yes, you can do that

Thanks!

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #15 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 9:28pm
Everybody seems to be ready... Are you ready? - The Rolling Stones ready to start a new show © 1963 Gus Coral (?)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)