Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Keith to appear on 'Tonight Show' (NBC) on 9th September (Read 14,254 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Keith to appear on 'Tonight Show' (NBC) on 9th September
Sep 3rd, 2014 at 6:20pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/filters/guests/11016

Presumably to promote his upcoming book, "Gus and Me".

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Re: Keith to appear on 'Tonight Show' (NBC) on 9th September
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 6:52pm
http://youtu.be/8v1hYzu09yo.
hopefully we'll get more than the jimmy page visit

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 8:20pm
I'll be watching - thanks for the heads up!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 11:17am
Keith will also be on the 'Today' Show tomorrow morning.

He must be taking this book seriously if he's getting up THAT early...

... ... ...
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 11:23am
Gazza wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 11:17am:

Dude's old.

Don't old people wake up early anyway, and didn't Keith miss Mick's birthday party to go home & go to sleep?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 1:24pm

Gotta be taped.......lol

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

patioaintdry
Rocks Off Regular

the pools in but the patio
ain't dry

Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 2:46pm
The Replacements, or at least 1/2 of them, are also appearing Tuesday on the Tonight Show. They were once a mighty band and did a great version of Gimme Shelter during their 1987 tour. One of the best concerts I've ever attended.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #7 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 3:06pm
Do the Replacements have replacements ?

Sorry, couldn't resist....... That was clever

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #8 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 3:15pm
patioaintdry wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 2:46pm:
The Replacements, or at least 1/2 of them, are also appearing Tuesday on the Tonight Show. They were once a mighty band and did a great version of Gimme Shelter during their 1987 tour. One of the best concerts I've ever attended.

And Westerberg is a *huge* Keefaholic.

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #9 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 4:44pm
today and tonight, thank the man who invented the DVR!!!

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #10 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 4:48pm
Edith Grove wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 11:23am:

Dude's old.

Don't old people wake up early anyway, and didn't Keith miss Mick's birthday party to go home & go to sleep?

yep don't think he's doing those all nighters anymore

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #11 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:08pm
This is hugely exciting enough having the 'Mats play (I'll be seeing them in St. Paul in a few days. It's been about 30 years!), but could be downright historic if Keith sits in with them.

Keith asked them to open for the Winos for his 45th birthday gig at the Meadowlands in '88. And when Westerberg's first solo album came out in '92, Keith supposedly played the opening track - "Knockin' On Mine" - really loud as warm up music for the 'Voodoo Lounge' sessions in Dublin.

You gotta remember, from '84 to '91 the Replacements took the mantle of Greatest Rock n' Roll Band In the World from the Stones, and Keith obviously knew this. This could be some legendary TV. Hope someone's recording.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #12 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:15pm
Paul and the 'Mats lead the audience in singing "Happy Birthday" to Keith at the December 17, 1988 show opening for the Expensive Winos. (followed buy a typically harrowing "Unsatisfied").

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #13 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:21pm
A couple of new interviews. Keith confirms his album is finished, but he doesnt want to put it out while the Stones are touring

First up, USA Today with Elysa Gardner :

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2014/09/08/keith-richards/15128343/?4qL...

NEW YORK — Keith Richards has a hearty, throaty chuckle, rather like a cartoon villain who's had his soft spot tickled, and he uses it often when the subject of family comes up.

Take Theodore Augustus Dupree, the Rolling Stone's maternal grandfather and hero of his new children's book, Gus & Me: The Story of My Granddad and My First Guitar. Also a musician — he gave Richards his first guitar, as the story reveals — Dupree "was a bit of an all-'rounder. He used to play saxophone, but then in the first World War he got gassed," while serving as a baker in the British army.

Richards, 70, pauses here, a wry smile further crinkling his famously weathered face. "There's two stories about this. One is it was the enemy's gas. But my father's take on this is that he gassed himself."

The laugh comes slowly and deeply, hovering in the downtown studio where Richards — who published a best-selling memoir, Life, in 2010 — now perches on a sofa, puffing a cigarette. "Anyway, Gus got gassed enough to get a pension from the army to keep him going, but he couldn't play saxophone anymore. So he took up violin instead."

Dupree also played piano and guitar, obviously inspiring his grandson's love of the latter, and of American roots music in general. Now a grandfather of five himself, Richards sustains a schedule and enjoys a lifestyle that Gus himself could hardly have imagined; the Stones will resume their latest world tour in Australia this fall, and Richards has a new solo album — his first in more than 20 years — pretty much wrapped up.

"We cut the tracks right here," says Richards, who worked with the X-Pensive Winos, his colleagues on two previous albums. "It'll probably be out next year. I'm really just waiting now for the Stones not to be working; I don't want to put it out while we're on the road."

Cover of "Gus & Me" by Keith Richards, art by Theodora Richards.(Photo: Little, Brown and Co.)

Don't expect Richards' new music to be a departure into, say, electronica. Asked for his take on contemporary pop music, he says, "Technology has run away with itself a bit, I think. It's a little manufactured and stuck in a rut, like it was for a while in the '50s. But I think things run in cycles. There are great bands and players out there, and always somebody about to break through."

He quips, "It's just a matter of timing — and my timing is always impeccable."

Indeed, after 50 years of recording and touring, Richards insists he's never wearied by the rigmarole. Performing is "exhausting the way a tennis game is exhausting; by the next day you're recovered, so you can get exhausted again. And I love traveling. If I'm in one place for more than a couple of weeks, I think, 'I'm supposed to be somewhere else, surely!' "

He credits his wife of more than 30 years, model Patti Hansen, with providing a sense of stability. "It's quite simple: We happen to love each other, and she can put up with me. It's difficult to find a woman, especially one as beautiful as that, who will put up with the nature of my job, where I'm disappearing for months. You have have to adjust life and keep the family together, and my wife's made that easy for me."

His fellow Stones remain another support system, he admits, without irony. "We wouldn't have been around this long otherwise. Things are left unsaid, because you just need a nod and a wink. You're amazed that you're still here, and still together."

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #14 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:24pm
and from the Star Tribune, with Mesfin Fekadu

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/274342261.html?page=all&prepage=2&c=y#conti...

Q&A: Keith Richards talks about his children's book, more Rolling Stones dates and solo album

Article by: MESFIN FEKADU , Associated Press Updated: September 8, 2014 - 3:05 PM

NEW YORK — There's one person who knew Keith Richards would become Keith Richards: his grandfather.

The Rolling Stone member said Augustus Theodore Dupree introduced him to the guitar and taught him about music as a child growing up in England.

"I think in a way he sort of had plans for me I wasn't aware of," Richards said. "He turned me on to the guitar and he did it in a subtle way."

The rock icon details his relationship with his grandfather in "Gus & Me," his children's book out Tuesday.

"He was a saxophone player. He got gassed in the First World War and he couldn't blow anymore, so he went to fiddle. He was playing way into his 60s — so am I," 70-year-old Richards said, laughing.

Richards has four children and five grandchildren. His daughter Theodora Dupree Richards — named after Gus — worked on the illustration for the book.

In a recent interview at Germano Studios — where he recorded his upcoming solo album — Richards talked about writing books, new music, touring with the Stones in 2015 and social media.

____

AP: Why did you decide to write this book?

Richards: My publishers first came up with this idea. They said, "There's certain chapters about your grandfather that could make a great children's book." Children's book? This is not my line (laughs). ... And just about that same time my eldest daughter ... she said, "Guess what?" And I know that look in a woman's eyes. "Don't tell me you're pregnant, which means fifth grandchild." ... I thought, "Hey, there's something to be said for this" and I've always wanted to give my ole grandfather Gus, bless him, a little more memorial than he's had.

AP: Your 2010 memoir, "Life," was a commercial and critical success. Was there any pressure to match it with "Gus & Me"?

Richards: The initial idea did come from the publishers, so you know, "Maybe Keith can sell a few more books." That's their business after all. Nine times out of 10 I would have said forget about it. I'm not going there. But because of the circumstances and having another grandchild, everything was sort of falling into place. I said, "Damn it. Go for it."

AP: Do you want to write more books?

Richards: I don't know. There's been plenty of talk about doing volume two (to "Life") because a lot of stuff got left out. I may save that for a little later. ... I had no intention of doing "Life," but they kept bugging me, "C'mon, you've got to tell the story. Here's a lot of money." OK, twist my arm. And I found out I could articulate things pretty well (and) tell a good story.

AP: The Stones are heading to Australia in October. Are you excited?

Richards: The first thing is the jetlag. I figured it out, I'm going to go via Fiji, where I'm going to chop down the tree that I fell out of the last time I was there (he got a concussion in 2006 after the fall) and spend a few days getting rid of the jetlag, and then I can pop down to Australia. Because the jetlag is the hardest thing around trips like that. Everybody's waking up and tripping over each other and falling asleep in rehearsals.

AP: Are you going to tour more dates?

Richards: They've got South America lined up in February, Buenos Aires, Peru. And after that, I know what the Stones tours are like, they tend to get extended.

AP: So could the band potentially tour most of 2015?

Richards: It sounds like that.

AP: Are you working on music?

Richards: I have a solo record finished, but I don't want to put it out while the Stones are working, so I'm thinking next June.

AP: What was the process like?

Richards: We had no rush. I think we spent a couple of years. (Producer) Steve (Jordan) and I are always working somewhere else, but every month or two we'd come down here and do a couple a day and knock off a couple of tracks. ... Nearly every record I've made is ... 'You've got another five days,' but this one we're taking our time.

AP: How's recording music today different compared to years ago?

Richards: Technology — it's changed enormously. ...I find that some of the technology is very confusing, especially the digital stuff.

AP: Speaking of technology, are you a fan of social media?

Richards: I stay well away. I have no computer at all. I have a little tablet that I knock around with. No passwords. I mean, I don't want to be hacked to death.

AP: Have you heard about the recent leaking of photos of nude celebrities?

Richards: The more I hear about it the more I'm sure I'm right.

___

Online:

http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/titles/no-author/gus-me/9780316320658/

http://www.rollingstones.com/

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #15 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:31pm
gimmekeef wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 1:24pm:

Gotta be taped.......lol

It is. Matt Lauer just posted a photo of him and Keith doing the interview on facebook.

We should have known better!

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #16 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:40pm
Another interview tomorrow (Tuesday)

BBC Radio 4's "Today" show at 7.40 am UK time

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/programmes/schedules/fm/2014/09/09

... ... ...
IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #17 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 9:29pm
OK thanks for he news on KEEF's TV shows tomorrow. I'll try to catch them both. Its exciting!

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #18 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 5:41am
I guess we can officially rule out any Stones activity after June of 2015. I was hoping they'd keep the show on the road and do what McCartney is doing.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #19 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 6:14am
Huh? This tour's been going for a couple years now, a bit of time off for a death in the family. It's starting up again next month. Two archive releases on tap.
What's McCartney doing with his very young band that Dylan hasn't been doing with his young-ish band for a decade?
This is actually a pretty exciting time for Stones fans. Revel in it...
EDIT: oh, and Keith's upcoming solo album and possible tour.

« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2014 at 6:20am by Mr. Yeats »  

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #20 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 6:19am
I was hoping they'd stay on the road. It's so hard for them to get rolling after a layoff.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #21 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 6:25am
I was hoping I'd stay 27 for a while longer. It's so hard for me to get rolling at 50...(just bustin' your balls, Steel Wheels. I hear ya. But I think things are looking up in Stones World i.e. for us, the fans).

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #22 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 6:55am
Listen here to Keith's BBC Radio interview from this morning

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04g8fqf

... ... ...
IP Logged

AngieBlue
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #23 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 9:19am
Keith said the Stones could potentially tour most of 2015.  Which is great!  Maybe some more American dates.

Given the hubbub he and Mick got into, I'm willing to bet that releasing a solo album in mid Stones activity is a no go.  Keep the peace to keep the Stones working.  That said, whenever Keith is ready to release that album I'm willing to buy it.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #24 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 9:34am
Watch the Keith 'Today' show interview with Matt Lauer here :

http://www.today.com/entertainment/keith-richards-writing-childrens-book-its-tim...

... ... ...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)