Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Keith and Theo (Read 1,672 times)
LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Keith and Theo
Aug 14th, 2014 at 6:01pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

FAMILY VALUES: KEITH AND THEODORA RICHARDS

Rolling Stone Keith Richards and his daughter Theodora have joined forces to create a new children's book, 'Gus & Me: The Story of My Granddad and My First Guitar.' Here, they weigh in on their collaboration.

KEITH RICHARDS: My granddad Gus was a musician. He was the one who turned me on to music. He had some daughters too, so he was al-ways looking for guys to hang with. [Laughs] But this book didn't come from me. It was put forward as an idea that some other guys had come up with about certain chapters in Life [Richards's 2010 memoir]. They said, "These would make a great kids' book." So I said, "Yeah." I was about to become a grandfather for the fifth time, and I had a daughter who likes to do illustrations, and I felt I could keep it in the family, and I did also want to bring Gus to life again.

Theo has always been a little illustrator, and she did a lot of research. She also wanted to know more about her great-grandfather. She would call me up frantically some nights saying, "What hat did Grandpa wear?" and "Where the hell is Primrose Hill?" So it sent her on a little journey.

I suppose there's a reflective part of it—although my life and career hasn't really lent itself to much reflection. But, you know, I've done my gig, and you get to live to the end of the string as far as I've got, and certain other things take on more importance than they did when you were younger. The parenting is real hands-on stuff, but as a grandparent you are greatly removed—and once the kids start to realize that you're actually their daddy's daddy, you sort of rise in their estimation. [Laughs] But grandkids and grandparents can be connected in a special way. Gus kicked me into music, and I found out what I loved to do. He let me hold the guitar and showed me the notes to "Malagueña." So I thought this story was something to pass on, maybe turn a few kids on—and a few grandpas on.

Now I search for talent in my grandkids—and some of them have got some. They probably listen to what most kids listen to because I don't influence them in any way. Maybe only through their parents because their parents still play some good soul music and some blues. They play that to keep them grounded. But I am not there to judge musical tastes or anything. I just observe.

"Gus kicked me into music. … So I thought this story was something to pass on, maybe turn a few kids on—and a few grandpas on."

THEODORA RICHARDS: I've always been a daddy's girl. I'm also named after my great-grandfather—Theodore Augustus Dupree. That's why it was so wonderful that my dad asked me to do this book. I literally stayed inside for months doing drawings of London and Dad's face and his grandpa's shoes and the dogs and armchairs and cakes and the landscape. In the beginning, my drawings were really, really dark. I drew a woman with a baby in her arms and a cigarette hanging out of her mouth. They were like, "Darling, this is a children's book. We can't have that." Also, the English smog where you couldn't see two feet in front of you—I had to fluff up 1940s England a bit. It was a challenge, but I loved it, and I loved that it all was coming from my head and Dad's words.

I love seeing Dad now with his five grandkids. You know, 10 years ago my dad would never have watched a musical. He'd make such fun of them. You'd think that somebody who is so into music would love musicals, but he'd be like, "That guy's asking for directions and the other person just bursts into song?" But now he'll watch Frozen and all the Disney stuff with his grandchildren.

It wasn't like that when I was a kid. The way I was brought up, it was classical music in the morning, reggae in the afternoon, and rock 'n' roll all night. It was the Everly Brothers, Anita O'Day, Louis Prima. When I started to fall in love with Justin Timberlake, my dad definitely let me know that he had a stink about it. He was like, "It sounds so tinny." It wasn't his style. So I would either lower it or I wouldn't listen to it around him. Then, of course, I was a teenager, so I'd stand up for myself and I'd be like, "You've got to get with the times, Dad." [Laughs] But I think he's simmered down now to the grandfatherly ways of being like, "Oh, I'm going to see what the kids are interested in …" Poke his head in.

It just makes me smile because my dad has become the ultimate grandfather, sitting there with a pipe—although, it's not a pipe, it's a cigarette.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Re: Keith and Theo
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2014 at 12:21pm
Cool.....nice they could collaborate on this project. I'm ordering one for Joey.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 8:30pm
Theodorable! But I wont buy this.

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2014 at 7:46pm
I'm starved for anything Keef.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 9:23pm
Win a Keith Richards Signed Guitar and a Copy of His Book ‘Gus & Me’

by Ultimate Classic Rock Staff September 5, 2014 1:56 PM

Read More: Win a Keith Richards Signed Guitar and a Copy of His Book ‘Gus & Me’ | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/keith-richards-guitar-giveaway/?trackback=tsmclip

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 10:07pm
She kinda looks like she could be Mick's daughter...DOH!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)