Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
20 Years Ago: The Rolling Stones Kick Off ‘Voodoo Lounge’ Tour (Read 2,296 times)
moy
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Mars
20 Years Ago: The Rolling Stones Kick Off ‘Voodoo Lounge’ Tour
Aug 1st, 2014 at 3:34pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
20 Years Ago: The Rolling Stones Kick Off ‘Voodoo Lounge’ Tour

by Corbin Reiff August 1, 2014 9:30 AM

It was the beginning of what would become the biggest and most financially successful rock and roll tour to date. On Aug. 1, 1994, the Rolling Stones opened their massive ‘Voodoo Lounge’ world tour.

The first seeds of what would come were planted in Dec. 1992, when, after spending nearly 30 years in the band, Bill Wyman, the Stone’s bedrock bass player officially announced that he was out. In a later interview, Wyman explained the circumstances of his departure saying, “Playing with the Stones there was always such a lot of pressure,” he said. “The next album or single always had to be the best, or at least sell more. When we got together to play it was a great moment. Working with Charlie [Watts] was fantastic, and we’re still really close. But when I toured with the Stones it would take a month to practice all these songs we’d been playing for 30 years.”

Almost immediately, speculation began that Wyman’s departure presaged the eventual demise of the group as a whole. It was a notion the band put to rest categorically nine months later when the Stones entered the studio to begin work on their latest album with new bassist Darryl Jones, whom they announced as his official replacement a few months before the July 1994 release of ‘Voodoo Lounge.’

Mick Jagger expounded about the thought that went into the tour in the book, ‘According to the Rolling Stones,’ “What the audiences want are a lot of lights and pizzazz with bangs and whistles,” he said. “On the ‘Voodoo Lounge Tour’ we had this huge lamp-post structure stuck in the middle of the stage. It was very good-looking, but by the time we got 25 minutes into the show, and then an hour, the lamp-post was still standing there doing nothing. We had to invent a whole feature with these Mexican inflatables…done in a way that made them look as though they were dolls in some strange kind of religious shrine.”

In his autobiography, ‘Life’ Keith Richards explained the necessity of size when it comes to Rolling Stones tours. “It wasn’t Mick any more than the rest of us who conceived these megatours: ‘Steel Wheels,’ ‘Voodoo Lounge,’ ‘Bridges to Babylon,’ ‘Forty Licks,’ ‘A Bigger Bang’…It was basically public demand that expanded them to that size. People say, why do you keep doing this? How much money do you need? Well, everyone likes making money, but we just wanted to do shows. And we’re working in an unknown medium.”

Even with a performance of that scale, at the end of the day, it’s still supposed to be a cohesive show with real thought behind it, which is something that matters a great deal to Jagger. “We always feel that the shows must make some sort of sense to us intellectually,” he continued. “We don’t care if nobody else ever gets the concept, but it has to work for us, so that should we have to explain the staging to a real serious critic – someone who might come up and say, ‘OK, what is this show really about? What the hell is the lamp-post doing there? Then we’ve got the answer ready.”

The tour officially kicked off, lamp-post, inflatables and all at RFK Stadium in Washington, DC. After an opening set by Counting Crows, who were riding high on the success of their debut album, ‘August and Everything After,’ the Stones took the stage. They wasted no time in going right to the start of the story, opening with their first major British hit, a cover of Buddy Holly’s ‘Not Fade Away.’ But as the video above from MTV News, who was on the scene to cover the concert, shows, the band quickly hit a snag, with Keith Richards breaking a string and needing a replacement guitar.

The setlist shows exactly what you would expect from a Stones tour at the time: a good dose of their classic hits interspersed with key tracks from the new album, plus a few surprises. These came mostly in the middle, with one of their less-successful disco hits, ‘Hot Stuff,’ followed by a cover of the Temptations’ ‘I Can’t Get Next To You.’ And while those songs threatened to sink the show a bit, the rarely played ‘Memory Motel’ and the surprise world premiere of ‘Monkey Man’ — which featured an appearance by a stagehand in a surreal voodoo-themed costume — more than made up for it.

After two nights in the nation’s capital, the Stones spent the remainder of the year and the beginning of the next winding their way across North America before taking off to every continent on Earth with the exception of Antarctica. Their stop at Joe Robbie Stadium in Miami was filmed live and saw release a year later on VHS as ‘The Rolling Stones: Voodoo Lounge Live.’ It was later reissued on DVD in 1998.

When all was said and done, the Rolling Stones ‘Voodoo Lounge’ tour proved to be a success unlike anything that had come before it. Across two years and 124 shows, the band performed for 6,336,776 people and raked in $320 million. To this date, it still ranks as the 10th highest grossing concert tour of all time and the second most well-attended, bested only by U2’s hyper-massive 360 Tour.

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Re: 20 Years Ago: The Rolling Stones Kick Off ‘Voodoo Lounge’ Tour
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2014 at 3:35pm

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2014 at 4:02pm
Last time the Stones played New Orleans:

10 October, 1994

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Teiz
Rocks Off Regular

Almere, Amsterdams ugly twin
Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2014 at 5:47pm
Ah...what a time that was. I was 20, fucked up my bachelor in economics - wrong choice - and had a job at Heineken in the HR department until I figured out what I did want. Times with little worries and lots of friends who were equally carefree and liked to party. Everyone loved the Stones.

So that tour was a blast for me. Saw all the Dutch gigs save the ones for Stripped in Paradiso - though I did see one of them gigs on a video wall they put there on the Museum Square. Back in those days the Stones were so immensely popular in the Netherlands that 20.000 people came down to watch a video wall.

The gigs in Nijmegen, Landgraaf and the final European gigs in Rotterdam were amazing. I saw them play Shine A Light in a stadium that year.

In Landgraaf - the boys returned there for Pinkpop this year - we almost missed the start of the show because we got drunk with a bunch of locals and were invited for a bbq. We were almost kicked off the field that night because we climbed on the roof of container - I think it was a merchandise stand - because of the poor view we had because of our late arrival.

The Stones made the soundtrack for one of the best summers in my life that year, and Voodoo Lounge will Always be special for me because of that tour.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2014 at 6:25pm
Those first 2 night in DC were so much fun!!

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #5 - Aug 5th, 2014 at 3:07pm
FUCK U2

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #6 - Aug 5th, 2014 at 5:14pm
I was at the Voodoo Lounge opener (8/1) and the second DC show (8/3) back in 94.   Damn, it was 20 years (almost) today.   Feels like 20 lifetimes ago, it was very very special and mindblowing.

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #7 - Aug 5th, 2014 at 7:06pm
Wow 20 years already? I was married and my ex spent $325 a ticket and we went to 4 shows, 2 in NJ and 2 in NY. He spent over $2500 for our tickets, and I was so mad at him at the time! But now that I look back, we had GREAT seats for all 4 shows and had the BEST time! I think that tour is when the Stones started getting greedy with the ticket prices. My ex's argument was "We will always have bills but we might not get another chance to see The Stones!" Even then we were thinking that and 20 years later they are still touring! Amazing!

IP Logged

Roostah
Rocks Off Regular

I've found my bastard
children !!

Portland, Oregon
Reply #8 - Aug 6th, 2014 at 3:01pm
My avatar is the photo that I took from the 1st row at BC Place
at the end of the Voodoo Lounge Tour in Vancouver BC Canada.

If you see my little red rooster won't you pleeze drive 'em home!! ...

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #9 - Aug 6th, 2014 at 6:28pm
row twenty
do not recall the event

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #10 - Aug 6th, 2014 at 10:43pm
I was there and it still may be my favorite Stones show, only because the set list was amazing. They will NEVER EVER do a set list like that again so I feel privileged. We got the war horses but we also got a load of new tracks and then little gems like Memory Motel and Can't Get Next to You. That show and a few shows after that were the last time I really remember them really being excited about playing the new stuff.

Great recounting of your summer Teiz. I enjoyed reading it.

Not Fade Away
Undercover of the Night
Tumbling Dice
Live with Me
You Got Me Rocking
Rocks Off
Sparks Will Fly
Shattered
Satisfaction
Beast of Burden
Memory Motel
Out of Tears
All Down the Line
Hot Stuff
I Can't Get Next to You
Brand New Car
Honky Tonk Women
Before They Make Me Run
The Worst
Love Is Strong
Monkey Man
I Go Wild
Start Me Up
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
Street Fighting Man
Brown Sugar
Encore:
Jumpin' Jack Flash

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #11 - Aug 6th, 2014 at 11:10pm
The Wick wrote on Aug 6th, 2014 at 10:43pm:
I was there and it still may be my favorite Stones show, only because the set list was amazing. They will NEVER EVER do a set list like that again so I feel privileged. We got the war horses but we also got a load of new tracks and then little gems like Memory Motel and Can't Get Next to You. That show and a few shows after that were the last time I really remember them really being excited about playing the new stuff.

Great recounting of your summer Teiz. I enjoyed reading it.

Not Fade Away
Undercover of the Night
Tumbling Dice
Live with Me
You Got Me Rocking
Rocks Off
Sparks Will Fly
Shattered
Satisfaction
Beast of Burden
Memory Motel
Out of Tears
All Down the Line
Hot Stuff
I Can't Get Next to You
Brand New Car
Honky Tonk Women
Before They Make Me Run
The Worst
Love Is Strong
Monkey Man
I Go Wild
Start Me Up
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
Street Fighting Man
Brown Sugar
Encore:
Jumpin' Jack Flash

PREACH!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)