Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
In memory of Tom Layhue (TomL, Sai Wong, Willie Dixon)
With Jini telling the truth to the world © Don't remember!

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bill Wyman:'Getting a band together is like a football team' (Read 595 times)
moy
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Mars
Bill Wyman:'Getting a band together is like a football team'
Jul 25th, 2014 at 10:42am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Bill Wyman:'Getting a band together is like a football team'

By Western Daily Press
Posted: July 25, 2014

Bill Wyman's analogy that getting a band together is a bit like naming a football team seems very topical in a World Cup year.

Famous for being part of one of the world's greatest rock bands, Bill spent 30 years living the rock'n'roll lifestyle before leaving to indulge other interests.

One of those has been forming rhythm and blues band the Rhythm Kings, who will be heading for Cheltenham Town Hall on Tuesday July 29 as part of their latest tour.

Bill has a top line-up of musicians in the band, including Andy Fairweather Low, who's played with the likes of Eric Clapton and Roger Waters, and Hamish Stuart, of the Average White Band, who's come in to replace Albert Lee, who's busy in the US.

"Getting a band together is like a football team; you get red cards or injuries and you have to get another player to take their place," he said.

"We're like a little family; everybody gives up their careers for short periods during the year to play a few gigs. It's just a lovely thing about the band."

Everyone has a turn at the mic, including a slightly reluctant Bill who usually sings You Never Can Tell by Chuck Berry. Other old favourites they may play include Harlem Shuffle, Nutbush City Limits, Dancing in the Street and some Dylan too.

As bass guitarist of the Rolling Stones, Bill enjoyed worldwide fame and fortune alongside Jagger, Wood, Watts and Richards.

But since walking out in 1993, he admits he has never had a second's regret, despite probably kissing goodbye to several more millions.

"When we started the Stones we thought we'd have two or three years of it before it would be over," admitted Bill, who amazingly is now 77.

"It was the same for all of us around at that time – the Beatles, the Searchers, the Animals – we all thought the same.

"That suited me fine as I had lots of other things I wanted to do; I would have liked to have been a museum curator or a librarian.

"Then suddenly you look around and it's 30 years later and I realised, if I didn't get out now, I wouldn't be able to do all those other things."

So Bill left and now he spends his time on a diversity of activities; he holds photography exhibitions and has a collection of around 30,000 photographs; he's written "seven or eight" books and he has his own restaurant in London called, of course, Sticky Fingers.

"These things were the reason I left when I did; because I didn't want my whole life to pass me by and not to be able to have done all the other things I wanted," he said.

"I had two failed marriages while I was in the Stones because it's so difficult to have personal relationships when you are travelling all the time around the world, open to temptation.

"I knew it was time to move on. I loved every moment of it but it was time for a change and I have never regretted it, not in a million years."

If anything his life is busier now than it's ever been, although Bill admits it's a less stressful, more relaxing kind of busy.

"This summer the band is doing about four or five festivals and then heading out on an European tour in November for about five and half weeks," he said.

"I keep an eye on the Stones' tours and have noticed whereas they do a concert every three or four days, we do one every night," Bill laughs.

"Charlie Watts rings me, asking if I can manage it at my age, but it's all very relaxed and good fun with the Rhythm Kings – there's no stress or anyone playing prima donna, we just have a good time."

Although Bill's departure didn't go down too well with some of his fellow Stones at the time, he says he has stayed closely in touch with them.

"I'm still great friends with the guys and we still buy each other birthday presents," he says, making me wonder what on earth you buy a rock star who presumably has everything he needs?

As well as the performing, Bill spends time taking hundreds of photographs to add to his already extensive collection.

"I take photos of everything from nature and wildlife to celebrities and ordinary people on the street, including taxi drivers. They are always a great subject to photograph," he said.

A confessed history fanatic, Bill lives in a 1480 manor house in Suffolk, with a moat and a drawbridge.

"I'm really interested in archaeology and history and have found a couple of previously unknown Roman sites where I live," he said. "This kind of thing absolutely fascinates me. I've also done a lot of charity work, including all the cricket matches – I must have played with all the great cricketers in the world."

And if all that wasn't enough, he's also putting the finishing touches to his solo album, which he plans will be out in October. "That's pretty amazing at my bloody age and I'm really excited about it," he laughs.

Bill was born and brought up in south London during the Second World War – right in the heart of the bombing during The Blitz.

"We lived in a place called Doodlebug Alley because it was bombed so many times," he said. "Even a V2 rocket exploded in our street.

"We used to go to school and sometimes some of the other pupils would never return. There were two little girls who sat next to me in class and one day they weren't there any more; they had been killed by a bomb. I guess I was incredibly lucky."

All this adds up to a quite remarkable life lived by one of our most famous and successful musicians, who has an amazing zest for life and an almost child-like interest in anything that crosses his path.

Tickets for the 7.30pm gig cost £34 and £29 from 0844 576 2210 or visit www.cheltenhamtownhall.org.uk

IP Logged

munichhilton
Rocks Off Regular

The bell tolls for thee

Texas
Re: Bill Wyman:'Getting a band together is like a football team'
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 10:51am
Its good for Bill that the Rhythm Kings have this sort of revolving door membership to keep the show on the road...

The Stones have no such doors...or windows. Not even a fire escape for Chuck!

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Re: Bill Wyman:'Getting a band together is like a football team'
Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 2:50pm
You have to hand it to Bill for sticking to his guns and being his own man.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)