Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Will the Aussie/NZ tour celebrate the 31st anniversary of UNDERCOVER?? (Read 8,481 times)
Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Will the Aussie/NZ tour celebrate the 31st anniversary of UNDERCOVER??
Jul 21st, 2014 at 8:10pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
My buddy Richard and I were talking and could not believe it has been 31 years since Undercover had been released. Yes...that is right...they have only released 5 albums since then.

I am a proud member of the Undercover FanBoy Coalition...I really love the album. All the departures from a traditional Stones album are not only daring, but also on target.

I am not sure why folks are so down on it all the time...It has some great songs on it...( I love all of them)...She Was Hot is a fun song and is great live (Finally)...Wanna Hold You is Keef at his Tops!! Pretty Beat Up is a stellar Woody composition, and the Title track is very welcome live IMO.
Even the campy Too Much Blood is a fantastic song with the CHOPS Horns and the 12 inch club mixes it spawned was amazing then and still sound awesome.

So...will we see an Undercover tribute on Nov 5th or 8th? I doubt it...hell...I know we won't...

What are your thought about Undercover??

Give it a listen...tell me what you think of it now.
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2014 at 8:11pm by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: Will the Aussie/NZ tour celebrate the 31st anniversary of UNDERCOVER??
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 12:50am
Me-me-me-me meanwhil', back in the jungl'

31 years? It feels like only Tuesday week.
It would be dandy if they could conjure up the (the Voltairean-esque?) 'It Must Be Hell' live, or (the trousery) 'All The Way Down'.

IP Logged

Teiz
Rocks Off Regular

Almere, Amsterdams ugly twin
Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 3:14am
I had the privilege to see them take She Was Hot to the stage in 2007. Awesome tune live. Crowd loved it.

As for the album. I like it a lot, but I'm not in love with it. It's a good piece of work like most of the Stones albums and I agree that it has it's own attitude.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 6:55am
31 years is a very significant milestone and landmark.

I would therefore expect 'Undercover' minisets at least, especially to coincide with the hotly rumoured upcoming deluxe box set of multiple 'Feel On Baby' dub versions.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 7:13am
'Feel On Baby' is one of their mosu underrated choons, in all seriousness.

The obsession with remixing and dubbing the life out of pretty much every single released from the early 80s up to the late 90s (when they pretty much decided to give it up as a bad job as presumably the penny had dropped that as most of their fans hated them and the wider public werent interested) was something that bewildered me personally. Lots of collectors, like me, who bought every single and every format just because it was the Stones, just ended up with bleeding ears.

However, the ones they did for a couple of the Undercover singles (the title track and Too Much Blood) were generally pretty good. They were however topped by the wonderful instrumental dub of 'Feel On Baby' which ONLY appeared on the b-side of the 12' vinyl 'Undercover of the Night (Cheeky Mix').

True to form, the gimps at EMI who assembled the wasted opportunity that was 'Rarities' in 2005 chose to omit this long-lost vinyl-only gem and instead treated us to stuff like pointlessly edited versions of easier to find remixes and songs that were taken from still-available live albums which were so 'rare' that they'd sold 4 million copies.  Shit!

... ... ...
IP Logged

AngieBlue
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 8:08am
Oh yes, the album I got grounded for a month for having in the house.  I love Undercover!

Too Much Blood is under rated and is one of my favorite tracks.  Wanna Hold You, Too Tough (which I have always thought would be great live), Must Be Hell, She Was Hot....love 'em.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 7:01pm
Tie You Up - Pain of Love is one of my favorite Stones songs! Whenever I am in a bad mood about a relationship I play this song LOUD and sing it loud and after a few times of playing the song, I feel really good! I'll be back next season with a bang!

The whole album is hot and dirty! I like it!

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #7 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 8:58pm
I love 'Undercover', a personal fave up there with 'Black and Blue'. I think it's aged very well, the programmed drum effects don't scream "'80s!" like so many other contemporary albums. Every song is great for me. The last true Stones album before they became a great Stones tribute band ('Dirty Work' , of course, being essentially an album of glorified demos).

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #8 - Jul 22nd, 2014 at 10:23pm
Bitch wrote on Jul 22nd, 2014 at 7:01pm:
The whole album is hot and dirty! I like it!

I knew you had a certain sparkle about ya Bitch!!

Mr. Yeats wrote on Jul 22nd, 2014 at 8:58pm:
The last true Stones album before they became a great Stones tribute band ('Dirty Work' , of course, being essentially an album of glorified demos).

Very Generous...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #9 - Jul 23rd, 2014 at 6:49am
I love 'Undercover', a personal fave up there with 'Black and Blue'. I think it's aged very well, the programmed drum effects don't scream "'80s!" like so many other contemporary albums. Every song is great for me. The last true Stones album before they became a great Stones tribute band ('Dirty Work' , of course, being essentially an album of glorified demos).

this is pretty spot-on. Undercover tends to get lumped in with Dirty Work as evidence of the Stones' 80's malaise. Its probably done more because neither album was followed by a tour and so both have been largely forgotten together.

They're like night and day. Dirty Work is a Stones album in name only - band relationships were appalling, Jagger was missing for much of the time and contributed relatively little by his standards, and they had to rely a lot on guest musicians to get it finished. 'Undercover' is a bit uneven at times but is a coherent collection of songs that work well thematically and are absolutely dripping with attitude and edginess.

It also had a monster of a lead single and the three videos made for the album (all of which ended up being banned in either the UK, US or both!) were pretty ground-breaking for the time.
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2014 at 6:51am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #10 - Jul 23rd, 2014 at 7:05pm
It makes this Paranoid Android cry to see so much love for Undercover!!!

And for those of you keeping score at home...

Dirty Work...28 years old
Steel Wheels...25 years old (The half way point of the bands career)
Voodoo Lounge 20 Years old
Bridges To Babylon...17 Years old
A Bigger Bang...but a mere child at 9 Years old

« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2014 at 6:11am by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

Rocks Off Regular

Belo Horizonte
Reply #11 - Jul 24th, 2014 at 12:37am
I love the whole album. It's them finally getting off their asses and writing new songs instead of reusing old outtakes and trinmg something new for a change. And I Wanna Hold You rules. The videos are fuckin great too.

683261035 rochaf319 twentythreeskidoo  
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #12 - Jul 24th, 2014 at 6:15am
Gazza wrote on Jul 23rd, 2014 at 6:49am:
It also had a monster of a lead single and the three videos made for the album (all of which ended up being banned in either the UK, US or both!) were pretty ground-breaking for the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW9czZfH_EM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP1UbJ2iKLw ; (tame version for delicate audience members)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVJkfXeTs9Q&list=RDDVJkfXeTs9Q ; (original banned version)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQh8oh0rj3s

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #13 - Jul 24th, 2014 at 6:30am
Thats just put me in the mood to 'dance with a one legged woman'.......

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #14 - Jul 24th, 2014 at 6:47am
Sagawa in Paris

Sagawa the Restaurant Critic (no, honestly - he is!)

The victim - Renée Hartevelt

Issei Sagawa (佐川 一政, Sagawa Issei?, born April 26, 1949 is a Japanese man who in 1981 murdered and cannibalized a Dutch woman named Renée Hartevelt in Paris. After his release, he became a minor celebrity in Japan and made a living through the public's interest in his crime.

Early life
Sagawa was born in Kobe, Hyōgo Prefecture, Japan, to wealthy parents. He was born prematurely, reportedly small enough to fit in the palm of his father's hand, and was immediately afflicted with enteritis, a disease of the small intestine. He eventually recovered, after several saline injections of potassium and calcium.

In 1977, at the age of 28, Sagawa emigrated to France to pursue a Ph.D. in literature at the Sorbonne Academy in Paris.

Crimes
Murder of Hartevelt

Sagawa served time in French prison for the murder of Dutch student Renée Hartevelt, a classmate of Sagawa's at the Sorbonne. On June 11, 1981, Sagawa, then 32, invited Hartevelt to dinner at his 10 Rue Erlanger apartment under the pretext of translating German poetry for a class he was taking. Upon her arrival, after convincing her to begin reading the poetry, he shot her in the neck with a rifle while she sat with her back to him at a desk. At that point he began to carry out his plan to eat her. His first attempt to bite into her buttocks met with failure so he went out to buy a butcher knife. Sagawa has stated he chose Hartevelt for her health and beauty, characteristics Sagawa believed he lacked. Sagawa describes himself as a "weak, ugly, and inadequate little man" (he is just under 5 ft (1.52 m) tall) and claims that he wanted to "absorb her energy".

Sagawa said he fainted after the shock of shooting her, but awoke with the realization that he had to carry out his plan. He did so, beginning with her buttocks and thighs, after having sex with the corpse. In interviews, he noted his surprise at the "corn-colored" nature of human fat. For two days, Sagawa ate various parts of the body. He described the meat as tasting like raw tuna. He then attempted to dump the mutilated body in a remote lake, but was seen in the act and later arrested by French police, who found parts of the deceased still in his refrigerator.

Sagawa's wealthy father provided a lawyer for his defense, and after being held for two years without trial Sagawa was found legally insane and unfit to stand trial by the French judge Jean-Louis Bruguière, who ordered him held indefinitely in a mental institution. After a visit by the author Inuhiko Yomota, Sagawa's account of the murder was published in Japan under the title In the Fog. Sagawa's subsequent publicity and macabre celebrity likely contributed to the French authorities' decision to have him extradited to Japan. Upon arrival in Japan, he was immediately taken to Matsuzawa hospital, where examining psychologists all found him to be sane, stating that sexual perversion was the sole motivation for the murder.Japanese authorities found it legally impossible to detain him because the French government refused to release court documents (which remain secret) to Japan, claiming that the case had already been dropped in France. As a result, Sagawa checked himself out of the mental institution on August 12, 1986, and has been a free man ever since. Sagawa's freedom has been questioned and criticized by many.

Post-release

Sagawa now lives in Tokyo and is a minor celebrity in Japan. He was often invited as a guest speaker and commentator between 1986 and 1997. He has also written restaurant reviews for the Japanese magazine Spa. In 1992, he appeared in Hisayasu Sato's exploitation film Uwakizuma: Chijokuzeme (Unfaithful Wife: Shameful Torture) as a sadosexual voyeur.

Along with books about the murder he committed, Sagawa has written Shonen A, a book on the Kobe child murders of 1997, in which a 14-year-old the media called "Seito Sakakibara" and "Boy A" ("Shōnen A") killed and decapitated a child and attacked several others.

Despite this early freelance work, Sagawa can no longer find publishers for his writing and has been rejected from over 500 different places of employment. Each job application requires writing his résumé out in longhand. He was nearly accepted by a French-language school because the manager was impressed by his courage in using his real name, but employees protested and he was rejected. In 2005, Sagawa's parents died. He was prevented from attending their funeral, but he repaid their creditors and moved into public housing. He received welfare for some time but no longer does.In an interview with Vice magazine in 2009, he expressed suicidal thoughts and said that being forced to make a living while being known as a murderer and cannibal was a terrible punishment.

In popular culture

A 1986 short film by Olivier Smolders called Adoration is based on Sagawa's story. In the same year, the TV channel Viasat Explorer released a 47-minute documentary film called Cannibal Superstar. In 2010, VBS.tv did a short documentary about him, titled VBS Meets: Issei Sagawa.

The noise/drone metal band Gnaw Their Tongues produced an EP in 2007 titled Issei Sagawa with tracks based on his crime.

Too Much Blood, a song on the Undercover album by The Rolling Stones, is about Sagawa.

Sagawa's story inspired the 1981 Stranglers song "La Folie".

'Paris Cannibal' Sagawa still hungers for attention

"I invited her to join me for some Japanese food. But Japanese restaurants [in Paris] were expensive, so I said I'd prepare sukiyaki at home. No one else came along, and usually a girl would be on her guard to be alone with a man at his place, but Renee was completely at ease.

"The sukiyaki got burnt and stuck to the pot, and while she stood at the sink washing it, I got this feeling while looking at her from behind --- I don't know why --- that she looked like a whore, and I was overcome with this compulsion to eat her."

So he did. With a completely detached mien, as if he were talking about another person, Issei Sagawa conveys to writer-photographer Noboru Hashimoto in Jitsuwa Knuckles (October) the details of the 1981 crime that got him enshrined in the Hall of Gustatory Infamy along with Dr. Hannibal Lecter.

His victim was 25-year-old Renee Hartevelt, a literature student from the Netherlands of Jewish background, who was, like Sagawa, enrolled at the Sorbonne. The murder weapon was a small-caliber rifle fired at the back of her head from close range. After having sex with her corpse, he then carved up portions of her body and ate them. He described the taste of the raw flesh as resembling "tuna sashimi." Other parts were stored in the refrigerator and cooked after garnishing with salt and pepper. And sorry, but any further descriptions of this creepy cook's macabre meal will have to be entrusted to another translator, folks. In fact, I'm shutting down until the urge to regurgitate subsides.

[Okay, I'm back.]

By his own account, Sagawa loaded the unconsumed remains of Hartevelt's corpse into two suitcases and transported them into a park. While discarding the evidence of his grisly crime in the shrubbery, he was spotted by an amorous couple, who informed the police, describing the perpetrator an Asian, standing 160cm tall and almost emaciated in appearance (Sagawa weighed just 35 kilograms at the time.) He was tracked down and arrested soon thereafter.

Found not guilty by reason of insanity, he was confined to a mental hospital but expelled from France and allowed to return to Japan after a year.

While members of the public reacted to Sagawa's antics with a kind of morbid curiosity, the reaction by some of those who encountered him personally was more visceral. They found him not only dislikable, but loathsome to the extreme.

To get out of the job, one cameraman ordered by a weekly photo magazine to cover Sagawa was even said to have feigned alcoholism and hospitalized.

More than 10 books were published about him. One was an autobiographical, self-illustrated account of his crime. Another was a compendium of letters between the hospitalized Sagawa and a famous dramatist that was awarded the prestigious Akutagawa literary prize. This, Hashimoto writes, helped to solidify Sagawa's identity as an eater of human flesh, while at the same time encouraging him to engage in buffoonery.

And engage he did. After his discharge from a Tokyo hospital, Sagawa subsequently worked at earning a well-deserved reputation as Japan's "celebrity cannibal," with an appearance in an adult video, as a guest on TV talk shows and in the print media.

"His sole claim to fame," Hashimoto tells Jitsuwa Knuckles readers, "was one that no one else could make: that he had eaten another human being."

Sagawa currently lives on an inheritance from his father and his writings. Most Japanese media avoid him now, but he still earns stipends from foreign camera crews that come to Japan to request him to appear in tabloid-style documentaries.

A photo in Jitsuwa Knuckles shows the bespectacled Sagawa standing outside a store window, admiring the legs of a female mannequin.

"When I see a beautiful girl while riding the train, I feel like eating her," he confesses.

There's no explaining the madness --- the cowardice and desires --- that drove him to cannibalism. His twisted sexual urges toward women. It is here, Hashimoto writes, where Issei Sagawa's sole existence is to be found. (By Masuo Kamiyama, contributing writer)

(Mainichi Japan) October 2, 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BosZxa1bYcE
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2014 at 6:51am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #15 - Jul 24th, 2014 at 5:34pm
I never made that connection between TMB and Sagawa...I spent much of that summer in Paris (and much of France) and recall that story when word of his release came about...but still...the Stones connection was never made.

there were no calls of "Trop de Sang"...

IP Logged

jaxx
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Aug 4th, 2014 at 6:22pm

Just today I was discussing Undercover with my teenage son. It was a cd I played frequently while taxiing my kids around. I love this one, but never listen to the first track.

When he was three he asked me, " mom, how can she be hot if she's in the snow."

And ,  " how come he he put a body in the refrigerator and ate it piece by piece?"

I promptly quit playing that cd in the car with young ones in tow. Back to Raffie for my little parroting sponges.  He's 18 now and repeated that rap ending from Too Much Blood verbatim today after not hearing it for 15 years. Yup. Blew me away.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #17 - Aug 5th, 2014 at 5:57am
Great story JAXX...you sound like a cool mom!

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #18 - Sep 24th, 2014 at 8:20pm
Stones 'Undercrackers' gold disc discovered on sale...

http://encorecollectibles.com/award.aspx?ID=538

IP Logged

Crazyhorse
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #19 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 7:03pm
Undercover...Fucking love this album. I was 14 yrs old and a hardcore fan already pissed off that I didn't see them in '82 at Leeds, Newcastle or London. Where do you start? Undercover of the Night Jagger singing about the militia in South America, kidnapping and political corruption. Great subject matter for the early 80s when Dylan had found God and the shitty 80s pop music of Culture Club, Spandau Ballet...the punk years had died miserably. So much going on in this song, Charlie drumming along to the electronic drums and his timpani percussion. All hi hat and snare for Watts. The girls are dressed up in lace and rubber. Reverse sounding 60s guitar riffs. Man, fantastic opening song letting you know you made the right decision buying this album.
On a cold and rainy night She Was Hot. The Stones at their best singing about pussy, tongue in cheek just like the Julienne Temple promo video. A great slice of rock n roll. Keith with his Chuck Berry guitar licks and Mick salivating the lyrics.
If I cracked another bottle of red I could pontificate forever on this wonderful album...Cheers

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #20 - Sep 26th, 2014 at 6:55am
they will play it in its entirety.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #21 - Sep 26th, 2014 at 6:50pm
It warms this
Paranoid Android
's heart to see this thread back and with 1200+ hits...
You guys RAWK!!!

« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2014 at 6:52pm by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #22 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 10:09am
Rehearsal spies...where are you????

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #23 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 4:55pm

Spot on. It's also the last album with a truly Rolling Stones sound because every album after that has been polished and fiddled with enough to lose that sound.

That murderer Sagawa was on an HBO documentary about cannibals and it showed people in Japan taking pictures with him because he's a celebrity. I don't know who is sicker, the cannibal or the people who want to hug and take pictures with a murderous cannibal.

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #24 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 10:13pm
Undercover is great.  I think one problem was that it lacked obvious radio playlist songs, other than "She Was Hot."

It's second problem was reputational: the cover was looked at as dated sexism and misogyny.  Being a Stones fan...I couldn't give a shit.  But, being a Stones fan, I also have to say that it's a crappy, boring cover with dumbass stickers on it.  Everybody I tried to play the record for immediately slammed the cover on either of these two grounds, and it affected how they responded to the music.

While the song "Undercover of the Night" has obvious merits, Undercover as an album title sounds like Hall & Oates.  The title (taken out of context of the song) and the oh-so-shocking porno cover photo and stickers are the most lame 1980s things here.  They should have either retitled the album or put a undeniably striking band photo on the front. The floral inner sleeve is also lame and makes an uncertain statement, unless it's that they really dug Purple Rain

Killer packaging could have saved it, and gotten the songs better airplay.  Dirty Work would have gotten farther as well with a better cover.

Here's a thought: Why didn't they put red cellophane over the Undercover cover, keeping a better cover photo...undercover.  Slap one ID sticker on the cello that reads "Rolling Stones Undercover," and don't even bother to print the band name or title on the cardboard front - that's the way to keep a nude on the cover if one had to be there.  But it would need to be a better nude.

Is there red cello on Dirty Work because that cover's an underachiever, or because they later wished they'd done that for Undercover?
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2014 at 10:51pm by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)