Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Stones in 5.1 surround sound? (Read 6,412 times)
Tom
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

US
Stones in 5.1 surround sound?
Jul 1st, 2014 at 5:44pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Many reissues are being released in BluRay pure audio in 5.1 surround sound, what about the Rolling Stones?

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Stones in 5.1 surround sound?
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 10:04pm
Is that anything like Quadrophenia ?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

MRD8
Rocks Off Regular

Melbourne, Florida
Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 9:46am
I just got the Quadrophenia Pure Audio bluray off of Pirate Bay, didn't have to buy the boxset.
The Stones have released Exiles and Let It Bleed in Pure Audio but neither one has a 5.1 mix...I have upsampled versions of Brussels Affair, Hot Rocks and Satanic Majesties which sound incredible on my OPPO bluray player.

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 8:39pm
I have GRRR! in High Fidelity BluRay Pure Audio, with the legend "Ultra high quality audio - no video content"

It's really of great audio quality but the formats are all in stereo, no 5.1 or other surround options:
  • 2-0 PCM 24-bit/96 kHz
  • 2.0 DTS-HD Master audio 24-bit/96 kHz
  • 2.0 Dolby TrueHD 24-bit/96 kHz
Love it but I would love to have something in 5.1 Surround

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 8:51pm
MRD8 wrote on Jul 2nd, 2014 at 9:46am:
The Stones have released Exiles and Let It Bleed in Pure Audio but neither one has a 5.1 mix...I have upsampled versions of Brussels Affair, Hot Rocks and Satanic Majesties which sound incredible on my OPPO bluray player.

Knew about Exile but not Let it Bleed, are you sure Sir? The first song I heard in BluRay pure audio was "Gimme Shelter" from the above mentioned BR, I really wanted in 5.1 surround to be in the middle while listening pure raw, crude rock!

I want this one in surround!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

MRD8
Rocks Off Regular

Melbourne, Florida
Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2014 at 7:32am
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Jul 2nd, 2014 at 8:51pm:

Knew about Exile but not Let it Bleed, are you sure Sir? The first song I heard in BluRay pure audio was "Gimme Shelter" from the above mentioned BR, I really wanted in 5.1 surround to be in the middle while listening pure raw, crude rock!

I want this one in surround!

I think I might be wrong about LIB on Pure Bluray Audio...I don't see it on Amazon. I have GRRRR on Pure Audio too...not sure why there no 5.1 mixes, I have Tommy and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and they are both in 5.1 surround. Think I'll ask my friend who did Brussels in 5.1 to tackle Exile for me.

IP Logged

MRD8
Rocks Off Regular

Melbourne, Florida
Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 10:09am
Here's the reply I got from him yesterday:
Hey bob,

That is without a doubt a great stones album. I have been auditioning sources for that one as well as goats head and a few other stones albums for some time now. The problem with the stones is almost all of their stuff was mastered in what I like to refer to as expanded mono. Extremely limited use of the stereo field. Which makes it tough for me to expand it to 5.1 without major manipulations which to my ear screw with the Sonics too much and create anomolies that I can hear. Probably part of the reason why you like the stuff I do is that I keep it clean.
I will tell you this though, I have not given up on the stones. I keep looking as I like the stones alot too. I have experimented with a couple of sources on that album in p articular and it just didn't come out very well. If you run into a source for it with some kind of decent seperation please let me know. I have auditioned; the hdtracks, pbthal vinyl rip, my own redbook, the 200? Remaster, and none are very good as far as seperation goes.

IP Logged

riffkeither
Rocks Off Regular

Gimme Some Neck !!

France Marseille
Reply #7 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 10:40am

I've dealt with my ghosts and I've faced all my demons...
I'm movin' on

IP Logged

Tom
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 8:30am
Thanks everyone!

IP Logged

riffkeither
Rocks Off Regular

Gimme Some Neck !!

France Marseille
Reply #9 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 2:14pm
Just got my Grrr one today.
I don't think  there is a big difference with my Cd.
Good marketing , i buy one but i'm doubful about this new support , nothing better instead of my olds Vinyls !!!

Just listen now to my 1972 Exile Vinyl , really it's a dream !!

I've dealt with my ghosts and I've faced all my demons...
I'm movin' on

IP Logged

Rocks Off Regular

Belo Horizonte
Reply #10 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 3:43pm
I just got the Quadrophenia Pure Audio bluray off of Pirate Bay, didn't have to buy the boxset.

you mean you don't actually have the brussels affair in quad to dvd? just an upmix? the world has ended.

683261035 rochaf319 twentythreeskidoo  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #11 - Jul 11th, 2014 at 8:04pm
twenty four seven

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #12 - Jul 12th, 2014 at 6:13pm
It seems that the next Stones release will be the 'duets' album from the 2013 tour that I half-jokingly speculated might be in the works over a year ago (based on the fact that so many of the artists chosen to sing with them were on UMG labels).

http://rocksoff.org/cgi-bin/messageboard/YaBB.pl?num=1368303027/33#33

No doubt they'll find some gimmick similar to this to make it more marketable.
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2014 at 6:18pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #13 - Jul 12th, 2014 at 6:21pm
Gazza wrote on Jul 12th, 2014 at 6:13pm:
the 'duets' album from the 2013 tour

this things gonna be bigger than walmart

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #14 - Jul 12th, 2014 at 8:27pm
Gazza wrote on Jul 12th, 2014 at 6:13pm:
It seems that the next Stones release will be the 'duets' album from the 2013 tour that I half-jokingly speculated might be in the works over a year ago (based on the fact that so many of the artists chosen to sing with them were on UMG labels).

Is this really going to happen, mate? I agreed that it seemed likely back then with the five UK and US gigs, and it's actually not a bad idea at all from a marketing standpoint. Can't recall and vids of guest songs being very remarkable other than Springsteen on "Tumbling Dice" (better more recently), Tom Waits on "Little Red Rooster", and, what I consider to be an amazing performance, with Florence Welsh on "Gimme Shelter". If this album comes off, they bloody well better use her performance (though they'll likely opt for Gaga for sales or Mary J. Blige for the diva factor).

« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2014 at 8:29pm by Mr. Yeats »  

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #15 - Jul 12th, 2014 at 8:53pm
Yes. Download-only release, according to our friend Soldatti/georgelicks. According to him, its all done and dusted, and just subject to some of the acts getting clearances from their labels.

Some of the duets were top-notch - Waits, Fogerty, Welch, Taj Mahal - and some were beyond horrid.

No doubt the track listing will be carefully chosen to appeal to the sort of market that likes Gaga, Katy Perry and Taylor Swift more so than the actual quality of the performances, although no doubt a few Protools overdubs can paper over a few cracks.

Its a horrible fucking concept IMO. This is usually what washed-up lounge acts lower themselves to at the arse end of their career in a last desperate attempt to stay 'relevant'.

With a live album already having come out from 2013, I thought this may have been kicked into touch, but seemingly not.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #16 - Jul 12th, 2014 at 10:21pm
Gazza wrote on Jul 12th, 2014 at 8:53pm:
Yes. Download-only release, according to our friend Soldatti/georgelicks. According to him, its all done and dusted, and just subject to some of the acts getting clearances from their labels.

Some of the duets were top-notch - Waits, Fogerty, Welch, Taj Mahal - and some were beyond horrid.

No doubt the track listing will be carefully chosen to appeal to the sort of market that likes Gaga, Katy Perry and Taylor Swift more so than the actual quality of the performances, although no doubt a few Protools overdubs can paper over a few cracks.

Its a horrible fucking concept IMO. This is usually what washed-up lounge acts lower themselves to at the arse end of their career in a last desperate attempt to stay 'relevant'.

With a live album already having come out from 2013, I thought this may have been kicked into touch, but seemingly not. 

I'd forgotten about Fogerty and Taj - must YouTube those.

I see your point about it being an embarrassing idea, and I reckon Mick's got no shame about this sort of thing anymore, and this is sort of his MO. But I can understand how they would approve such a project for the imagined generational cross-over of some guests and just the novelty factor for older folk. I'm guessing it'll be Katy Perry, Gaga, Mayer, Taylor Swift, etc.
It would actually make more sense to release just a DVD of these tracks, as a big part of the amusement was often visual.
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2014 at 10:58pm by Mr. Yeats »  

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #17 - Jul 12th, 2014 at 10:43pm
The especial groovers were Big Mary and Little Flo, shirley?

IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #18 - Jul 12th, 2014 at 10:56pm
WaiteringOnAFiend wrote on Jul 12th, 2014 at 10:43pm:
The especial groovers were Big Mary and Little Flo, shirley?

Flo easily aced Mary, who seemed she didn't know the song very well on the first night, and anyway isn't a terribly captivating presence onstage anyway (lovely though she is).
Plus she over-sang it, maybe thinking 'oh I'll just do what Lisa does'.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #19 - Jul 13th, 2014 at 11:47am
I was at the first 02 show and really enjoyed Mary J Blige's performance (I think she's an amazing singer, anyway. That Grammys rendition of 'No More Drama' a few years back is one of my favourite performances by anyone. Ever)

Florence though just tore the roof off the place. It takes a special stage presence for anyone to go toe to toe with Jagger, especially on that song, but for a young white girl - who doesnt really have the pipes that Merry, Lisa or Mary J would have - to do it takes some....well, balls, to put it mildly.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #20 - Jul 13th, 2014 at 11:55am
Mr. Yeats wrote on Jul 12th, 2014 at 10:21pm:
Gazza wrote on Jul 12th, 2014 at 8:53pm:

I'd forgotten about Fogerty and Taj - must YouTube those.

If they include this, it would be the third Stones live album that Taj has sang on!

I'd buy it just for a high quality recording of this. I thought it was fantastic. Plus, the Stones have never performed the song before or since, so it'd be a song theyve never released before.

Here's the duet with Fogerty :

and Tom Waits :

... ... ...
IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #21 - Jul 13th, 2014 at 2:00pm
Gazza wrote on Jul 13th, 2014 at 11:47am:
I was at the first 02 show and really enjoyed Mary J Blige's performance (I think she's an amazing singer, anyway. That Grammys rendition of 'No More Drama' a few years back is one of my favourite performances by anyone. Ever)

Florence though just tore the roof off the place. It takes a special stage presence for anyone to go toe to toe with Jagger, especially on that song, but for a young white girl - who doesnt really have the pipes that Merry, Lisa or Mary J would have - to do it takes some....well, balls, to put it mildly.

Cheers for the other video posts G. And this clip of Flo guesting on Gimme Shelter still makes me choke up a bit.

She sings it far more in the spirit of Merry Clayton - plain, unbridled emotion, without the vocal gymnastics of Lisa, Mary J, etc.
This isn't a "party" song; this is combat rock. This isn't a song for showing off musical chops, this is a song of fear and longing. Florence seems to get that - with her limited white English girl voice, her body language, her facial expressions, her obvious love and gratitude for the band (other clips show her giving Charlie a big kiss as she exits the stage. This is one cool young woman).

My eldest brother Chris still maintains that when Merry's part opens up in the original, it still makes the hair on the back of his neck stand up and moves him to tears. Being a more intense (or jaded) Stones freak than he, the song doesn't quite move me that way anymore, but Florence Welch's version, at least on the crummy YouTube clips, does move me that way. i think it's a far more emotional take than any other singer I've heard tackle it (barring of course Merry Clayton).

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #22 - Jul 13th, 2014 at 6:19pm
So, I wonder can we guess what songs might be on this proposed release

UMG & UMG subsidiary artists :
Gimme Shelter - Lady GaGa
Its All Over Now - John Fogerty
Beast of Burden - Katy Perry
Wild Horses - Gwen Stefani
As Tears Go By - Taylor Swift
Respectable - Keith Urban

Decent chance that all six of these (or most of them) will be on it.

Most of the others I suppose depends on labels giving the OK.

And also, whether the songs are covers or not. The Stones have a habit of 'bumping' covers from albums to maximise the publishing royalties they'll get from more Jagger-Richards compositions.

... ... ...
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #23 - Jul 13th, 2014 at 6:25pm
Edith Grove wrote on Jul 1st, 2014 at 10:04pm:
Is that anything like Quadrophenia ?

no there is nothing like that record
best who ever!
hit me ronnie!

IP Logged

MRD8
Rocks Off Regular

Melbourne, Florida
Reply #24 - Jul 16th, 2014 at 6:37pm
Talk about a thread being hijacked, I thought I was on IORR...had to check just to make sure...Wink

IP Logged

rogerriffin
Rocks Off Regular

MEXICO DF.
Reply #25 - Jul 17th, 2014 at 9:09am

i have these 5.1 DTS bootlegs cds:

AfterMath
Beggars Banquet
Their Satanic Majesties
Through The Past Darkly
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main St
Brussels Affaire  - Quadraphonic 4.0
Love You Live
Voodoo Lounge

really would be great were released Officially!!! 

GRRR, EOMS & LIB blu-rays has only 2.0 sound...

"Rock`n`Roll, Let`s Go! Keith-Mexico`95
WWW rogerriffin rogerriffin@yahoo.com.mx  
IP Logged

Tom
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #26 - Jul 18th, 2014 at 7:33am
Bootlegs in 5.1? DVD or BR? How can I get them?

IP Logged

rogerriffin
Rocks Off Regular

MEXICO DF.
Reply #27 - Jul 18th, 2014 at 8:56am
Tom wrote on Jul 18th, 2014 at 7:33am:
Bootlegs in 5.1? DVD or BR? How can I get them?

look for them in torrents.. are cds.

IP Logged

Tom
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #28 - Jul 18th, 2014 at 11:04am
As far as I know 5.1 surround is only available in DVD and Blur-Ray, am I right?

IP Logged

rogerriffin
Rocks Off Regular

MEXICO DF.
Reply #29 - Jul 18th, 2014 at 12:58pm
all that i have are cd-r, you can find full catalog of TOUP here:

http://www.bootlegzone.com/files.php?section=0&pub=222&words=&sort=0&letter=&fil...

IP Logged

Rocks Off Regular

Belo Horizonte
Reply #30 - Jul 24th, 2014 at 12:42am
Heck, Ican make better upmixes than these TOOLS on bootlegzone, in Dolby or DTS, whichever suits you best. In 2.1 of course, because upmixes SUCK RAW DONKEY DILDO. Keep the LFE/Subwoofer, and you're done.

683261035 rochaf319 twentythreeskidoo  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)