Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Poll closed Poll
Question: Do we still hate the Eagles?
*** This poll has now closed ***

Hate them like either chlamydia and/or Joey's posts    
  14 (28.6%)
Hate them but not so much    
  5 (10.2%)
Meh    
  11 (22.4%)
Like them    
  12 (24.5%)
LOVE them like America, Apple pie and Fryday night Couchchat    
  7 (14.3%)

Total votes: 49
« Last Modified by: Voodoo Chile in Wonderland on: Aug 22nd, 2018 at 7:38pm »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14
Send Topic Print
Do we still hate the Eagles? (nsc) (Read 140,538 times)
sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Re: Do we still hate the Eagles? (nsc)
Reply #250 - Nov 29th, 2016 at 3:36pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Joey wrote on Nov 28th, 2016 at 4:45pm:
Edith Grove wrote on Nov 28th, 2016 at 4:38pm:

Randy Meisner , Bernie Leadon and Don Felder will NOT attend .

Henley will not hear of it  .

" This should have been a time to celebrate. On Sunday, the three surviving members of the final edition of the Eagles - Henley, guitarist Joe Walsh, bassist Timothy B. Schmit, all of them 69 - will receive Kennedy Center Honors. But Frey's death in January, from complications brought on by years of battling rheumatoid arthritis and colitis, has cast a bittersweet cloud over the proceedings. Cindy Frey will be given her late husband's medallion.  "

Henley is an asshole.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #251 - Nov 29th, 2016 at 9:40pm

<  --------------- Emotional !!!!!

Very Big Night coming up this Sunday me Stonesian Kins   :

« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2016 at 9:55am by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #252 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 8:11am

<  ------------ Emotional !!!!!!   :

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7597404/the-eagles-james-taylor-mavis-sta...

" The Eagles were originally selected to be honored last year, but the band opted to delay participation because of founding member Glenn Frey's poor health. Frey died in January at age 67, making the event a bittersweet one for the surviving Eagles, who were joined by Frey's widow, Cindy Frey. Henley has said the band will never perform again. Bob Seger, Vince Gill and Kings of Leon performed the Eagles' music on Sunday.

"I want to dedicate this evening to our brother Glenn," Henley said as the band accepted its honors Saturday night at the State Department. "He was so much a part of our success. He was the driving force in this band. He believed in the American dream."

The band's longtime manager, Irving Azoff, sobbed as he raised a glass to Frey.

"For our Eagles family," he said, "2016 couldn't have had a harder beginning or a more appropriate ending."

When will The Rolling Stones receive THEIR award ?!
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2016 at 10:14am by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #253 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 10:51am

<  -----------------------  http://www.cbs.com/shows/kennedy_center_honors/news/1006335/2016-kennedy-center-...

" The 39th Annual Kennedy Center Honors, airing on Tuesday, Dec. 27 at 9/8c on CBS and CBS All Access, is just around the corner—which means highlights from the event are starting to roll out!

The annual ceremony, which was hosted by The Late Show's own Stephen Colbert and attended by President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama on Dec. 4, paid tribute to the 2016 honorees: pianist Martha Argerich, rock legends the Eagles ( ....... for Sir Moonie ) , actor Al Pacino, gospel and blues singer Mavis Staples, and singer-songwriter James Taylor.

Now, watch as each honoree gives a backstage interview describing his or her experience at the Kennedy Center Honors. "

« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2016 at 10:52am by Joey »  

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #254 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 9:16pm
I'm so giddy, I'm typing this with a dead man penis.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #255 - Dec 25th, 2016 at 11:42am
munichhilton wrote on Jul 17th, 2015 at 9:46pm:
Hey! Have you guys heard about the Eagles collaboration with the Stones? This is gonna be awesome...

Its like a Memory Hotel Victim Of Love Is Strong

<   --------------- http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv/tv-guy/os-kennedy-center-honors-...

" The Eagles: Linda Rondstadt narrates a loving film tribute to Henley, Timothy B. Schmit, Joe Walsh and the late Frey. Ringo Starr provides an amusing spoken tribute. There are first-rate performances by Kings of Leon on "Take It Easy"; Vince Gill on "Peaceful Easy Feeling"; and Juanes on "Hotel California" with Steve Vai and Steuart Smith. They all come together for "Life in the Fast Lane." But do not miss Seger on "Heartache Tonight." Wow. ( Even Sir Moonie will be proud )  .   "

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #256 - Dec 27th, 2016 at 11:11am

"  ..... young joey  ...... how do we watch tonight's induction ceremonies ?  "

Right HERE Sir Moonie !!!!!   :

|
|
|
V

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-to-watch-the-kennedy-center-honors-2016/

" Notably missing, of course, is the Eagles’ Glenn Frey, who passed away earlier this year at 67. The band was selected to be honored last year, but they postponed participation because of Frey’s declining health. This year, the surviving Eagles, Frey’s widow and the band’s manager gathered at the event, which Henley dedicated to the late musician.

Virtuoso pianist Martha Argerich on her enduring career

Here’s how to watch the 39th annual Kennedy Center Honors:

Tune into CBSN at 8/7c to watch profiles and interviews with the honored artists before the ceremony.

Watch the ceremony at 9/8c on CBS or stream it on CBS All Access.   "
« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2016 at 11:13am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #257 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 9:25pm
lavendar wrote on Jul 19th, 2015 at 10:46am:
They were RITE on last nite!!!

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #258 - Dec 31st, 2016 at 1:16am
hashtag #eaglesfanssuckondickalldaylong

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #259 - Dec 31st, 2016 at 10:23am
sirmoonie wrote on Dec 31st, 2016 at 1:16am:
hashtag #eaglesfanssuckondickalldaylong

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #260 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 9:22am

Well, so much for what Henley says:

The Eagles to tour despite Glenn Frey’s death

http://myconnection.cox.com/article/trending/e15efc2c-46cb-11e7-87ec-e0dc9437b5f...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #261 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 10:00pm
45 years today

« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2017 at 10:03pm by mojoman »  

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #262 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 11:25pm
Edith Grove wrote on Jun 1st, 2017 at 9:22am:

Well, so much for what Henley says:

The Eagles to tour despite Glenn Frey’s death

http://myconnection.cox.com/article/trending/e15efc2c-46cb-11e7-87ec-e0dc9437b5f...

Henley is just like Trump. Another lying ass whore trying to milk every buck he can out of innocent people.

IP Logged

tauk
Rocks Off Regular

DUMBEST STONES FAN ON
EARTH

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #263 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 2:35am
My answer to this topic's question:

Somewhere between Hate Level #2) "hate them but not so much" and Hate Level #3) "meh".

But this answer makes me feel like a hypocrite since I have to admit I sang along to "Hotel California" along with everyone all 550 times a day any radio station played it. BUT IT WAS BETTER THAN DISCO

"I need a...I need a bohemian atmosphere" ("Performance", 1970, Warner Brothers Film)

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #264 - Jul 16th, 2017 at 9:56am

<   ----------- Emotional !!!!   :

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevebaltin/2017/07/16/the-eagles-turn-classic-west...

" The Eagles Turn Classic West Into A Powerful Memorial For Glenn Frey   "

" When the Classic West and East, two two-day concerts in Los Angeles and New York headlined by the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac, were announced earlier this year, comparisons to last year’s wildly successful Desert Trip were immediate and inevitable. Like that once in a lifetime bill bringing together six iconic acts of one era, Classic West and East featured six bands from one era, in this case the ‘70s, joining together for a special bill.

That is really where the comparisons end though. Unlike Desert Trip, which was much more about the event, night one of Classic West, held at Dodger Stadium last night (July 15), was all about the headliner, the Eagles, in their first full-scale performance since the death of Glenn Frey in January of 2016.

Don Henley had said in March of 2016 the band would never perform again without Frey, calling their Grammy Awards tribute to their fallen band mate “A fitting farewell.” Indeed, it might have been a fitting farewell for the band.

But one thing that was missing for a performer so much a part of popular culture for the last four decades was a proper memorial for the fans. Frey and the Eagles were not just one of the most commercially successful rock acts of all time with over 150 million albums sold, they were the soundtrack of millions of lives, especially in Southern California, where they are a massive part of the community and culture.

Last night, though, at Dodger Stadium, Frey was given the moving and compelling sendoff the fans who loved his music clearly wanted. The band, joined by Frey’s son, Deacon, and country star Vince Gill, both of whom fit in superbly, took the stage at around 8:45, opening with a harmonious “Seven Bridges Road.”

Immediately after, Henley spoke of his late band mate. “This one’s for you, Glenn. You’re in our hearts tonight and the music goes on,” he said, introducing Frey’s signature song, “Take It Easy.”

The Eagles, famously over the years, have been criticized for how perfectly their live sound replicates the albums. Henley once joked with me about the lambasting, commenting, “It’s not easy to do.” This is a band that strives for virtual audio perfection on stage. So there was little doubt that musically, with Frey’s son Deacon and Gill, the band would strike the right chords. And, as expected, musically it was almost perfect throughout the night.

There were countless highlights, led by a rare version of the epic “The Last Resort,” the sweeping closing track of Hotel California. But that was just one standout moment. Joe Walsh’s guitar work on “Life’s Been Good” and “Rocky Mountain Way” ignited the crowd. Timothy B. Schmidt leading the soulful “I Can’t Tell You Why” was a beautiful moment. Whether it was “Best Of My Love,” “Life In The Fast Lane,” “Tequila Sunrise,” “New Kid In Town,” or “In The City,” practically every song was a hit.

While Henley rightly said the fans were there for the songs, it was the between songs moments that made this night so poignant. It was impossible not to be swept up in emotion when Deacon Frey, clad in a Dodgers jersey, introduced “Peaceful Easy Feeling.” “This is unbelievable,” he said, remarkably composed for a 23-year-old playing his father’s songs in front of 50,000 plus fans. “The last few years have been rough. The only remedy for that is love and I’m feeling it from you tonight. This is my medicine.”

Then during the song, which he delivered with precision, he said, “Anyone out there miss my dad?” The huge cheer that greeted a large photo of his father on the video screen behind him answered the question with a resounding and heartfelt yes.

The elder Frey was also honored when surprise guest Bob Seger, who recorded “Rambling Gambling Man” with Frey in 1968, came out to a massive ovation and took lead vocals on “Heartache Tonight.” The introduction of Seger, who Henley called, “One of the most beloved figures in rock,” of course injected the crowd with a burst of adrenaline.

As much as the show felt like a celebration of Frey at times, it was still a concert, and the Eagles did a superb job of balancing the two, making the emotion part of the show instead of letting it override the night.

That was never more evident than in the closing moment, “Desperado.” Following a rousing encore of “Hotel California,” which of course had the whole stadium singing and featured more stellar guitar by Walsh, and “Rocky Mountain Way,” the opening notes of “Desperado” played.

One of the most beautiful and touching songs ever written in rock, it took on so much added depth tonight. Early in the night, Henley addressed the fact this might be the band’s last hometown show. “In case this is our last dance, we want to thank all the fans in Southern California,” he said. “It all started here in Los Angeles.” And if tonight was indeed the finale in Los Angeles, which I doubt even the band knows at this point, so caught up in emotion, then there was no more perfect way for one of Los Angeles’ greatest bands ever to go out than singing in front of a hometown crowd, “You better let somebody love you before it’s too late.”

With that line, they took a final curtain call and walked off the stage, having said, perhaps, the goodbye that the band and fans had earned after more than four incredible decades together. "
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2017 at 9:58am by Joey »  

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #265 - Jul 16th, 2017 at 10:43am
Joey wrote on Jul 16th, 2017 at 9:56am:
<   ----------- Emotional !!!!   :

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevebaltin/2017/07/16/the-eagles-turn-classic-west...

" The Eagles Turn Classic West Into A Powerful Memorial For Glenn Frey   "

" When the Classic West and East, two two-day concerts in Los Angeles and New York headlined by the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac, were announced earlier this year, comparisons to last year’s wildly successful Desert Trip were immediate and inevitable. Like that once in a lifetime bill bringing together six iconic acts of one era, Classic West and East featured six bands from one era, in this case the ‘70s, joining together for a special bill.

That is really where the comparisons end though. Unlike Desert Trip, which was much more about the event, night one of Classic West, held at Dodger Stadium last night (July 15), was all about the headliner, the Eagles, in their first full-scale performance since the death of Glenn Frey in January of 2016.

Don Henley had said in March of 2016 the band would never perform again without Frey, calling their Grammy Awards tribute to their fallen band mate “A fitting farewell.” Indeed, it might have been a fitting farewell for the band.

But one thing that was missing for a performer so much a part of popular culture for the last four decades was a proper memorial for the fans. Frey and the Eagles were not just one of the most commercially successful rock acts of all time with over 150 million albums sold, they were the soundtrack of millions of lives, especially in Southern California, where they are a massive part of the community and culture.

Last night, though, at Dodger Stadium, Frey was given the moving and compelling sendoff the fans who loved his music clearly wanted. The band, joined by Frey’s son, Deacon, and country star Vince Gill, both of whom fit in superbly, took the stage at around 8:45, opening with a harmonious “Seven Bridges Road.”

Immediately after, Henley spoke of his late band mate. “This one’s for you, Glenn. You’re in our hearts tonight and the music goes on,” he said, introducing Frey’s signature song, “Take It Easy.”

The Eagles, famously over the years, have been criticized for how perfectly their live sound replicates the albums. Henley once joked with me about the lambasting, commenting, “It’s not easy to do.” This is a band that strives for virtual audio perfection on stage. So there was little doubt that musically, with Frey’s son Deacon and Gill, the band would strike the right chords. And, as expected, musically it was almost perfect throughout the night.

There were countless highlights, led by a rare version of the epic “The Last Resort,” the sweeping closing track of Hotel California. But that was just one standout moment. Joe Walsh’s guitar work on “Life’s Been Good” and “Rocky Mountain Way” ignited the crowd. Timothy B. Schmidt leading the soulful “I Can’t Tell You Why” was a beautiful moment. Whether it was “Best Of My Love,” “Life In The Fast Lane,” “Tequila Sunrise,” “New Kid In Town,” or “In The City,” practically every song was a hit.

While Henley rightly said the fans were there for the songs, it was the between songs moments that made this night so poignant. It was impossible not to be swept up in emotion when Deacon Frey, clad in a Dodgers jersey, introduced “Peaceful Easy Feeling.” “This is unbelievable,” he said, remarkably composed for a 23-year-old playing his father’s songs in front of 50,000 plus fans. “The last few years have been rough. The only remedy for that is love and I’m feeling it from you tonight. This is my medicine.”

Then during the song, which he delivered with precision, he said, “Anyone out there miss my dad?” The huge cheer that greeted a large photo of his father on the video screen behind him answered the question with a resounding and heartfelt yes.

The elder Frey was also honored when surprise guest Bob Seger, who recorded “Rambling Gambling Man” with Frey in 1968, came out to a massive ovation and took lead vocals on “Heartache Tonight.” The introduction of Seger, who Henley called, “One of the most beloved figures in rock,” of course injected the crowd with a burst of adrenaline.

As much as the show felt like a celebration of Frey at times, it was still a concert, and the Eagles did a superb job of balancing the two, making the emotion part of the show instead of letting it override the night.

That was never more evident than in the closing moment, “Desperado.” Following a rousing encore of “Hotel California,” which of course had the whole stadium singing and featured more stellar guitar by Walsh, and “Rocky Mountain Way,” the opening notes of “Desperado” played.

One of the most beautiful and touching songs ever written in rock, it took on so much added depth tonight. Early in the night, Henley addressed the fact this might be the band’s last hometown show. “In case this is our last dance, we want to thank all the fans in Southern California,” he said. “It all started here in Los Angeles.” And if tonight was indeed the finale in Los Angeles, which I doubt even the band knows at this point, so caught up in emotion, then there was no more perfect way for one of Los Angeles’ greatest bands ever to go out than singing in front of a hometown crowd, “You better let somebody love you before it’s too late.”

With that line, they took a final curtain call and walked off the stage, having said, perhaps, the goodbye that the band and fans had earned after more than four incredible decades together. "

Don Felder should have been there.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #266 - Jul 16th, 2017 at 11:17am

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #267 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 9:00pm
Hate is such a Strong Word!
It takes as much energy to hate as it does love. IMO
I Have one Album The Eagles ever did.

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #268 - Jul 17th, 2017 at 10:44pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Jul 16th, 2017 at 10:43am:
Don Felder should have been there.

word

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #269 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 8:22am

<  --------------   They Should Tour with Deacon and Vince  .

Great Reviews !!!!   :

http://variety.com/2017/music/news/concert-review-classic-west-dodger-stadium-ea...

" Concert Review: Classic West Hits a Home Run at Dodger Stadium Debut, but Is It the Eagles’ Last L.A. Waltz?  "

" Were fans at the inaugural Classic West festival at Dodger Stadium seeing the Eagles’ local last hurrah Saturday night? Don Henley, who’d be first to admit he’s made false prophecies about afterlives and temperatures before, wasn’t predicting one way or another, but he did strongly hint that there might not be a future for the band after they play the counterpart Classic East fest in New York later this month. “In case this is our last dance, I want to thank all our fans in southern California,” Henley told the full house. “It all started right here in Los Angeles 46 years ago… Who knew?”

But if this was a test run for whether a post-Glenn Frey version of the Eagles could pass muster, it augured well on that front, thanks to some smart choices about fill-ins for the late co-frontman. The most obvious live ringer was Frey’s 24-year-old son, Deacon, who was wearing a Dodgers jersey laden with meaning beyond just a mere nod to the concert’s Chavez Ravine setting. It was a Kenley Jansen jersey, honoring the Dodger who is arguably the top bullpen pitcher in baseball right now — a choice that hardly seemed coincidental, since Deacon was acting as a reliever of sorts for his dad in for the Eagles’ first full concert since Glenn’s 2016 passing, along with fellow closers Vince Gill and (for just one song) Bob Seger.

It was the night of a thousand fill-ins, seemingly, as not only the Eagles but middle-billed Steely Dan were faced with doing a show without half of the original dynamic duo. Early on in Steely Dan’s set, attendees might have been wondering if co-leader Walter Becker had shaved his head since last year’s Hollywood Bowl show, only to finally have Donald Fagen explain that Becker “took ill [just] before he was supposed to come to L.A.” and offer a “wish for a speedy recovery.” In Becker’s place was legendary guitarist Larry Carlton, who’d played the solos on some seminal Steely Dan recordings like “Kid Charlemagne.”

Here, as with the Eagles’ set, there was the bittersweet sense of an unfortunate absence resulting in a possibly one-of-a-kind show rife with different chemistry and creativity. Sometimes, mortality truly is the mother of invention.

In some key ways, Saturday night’s set was much like a typical Eagles show from before Frey’s passing, with pretty much the same chestnuts performed (minus a few very early album cuts that’d been added to the “History of the Eagles” tour). Every Eagles concert may end with “Desperado,” but the half-hour before that will always see the group turning into the Joe Walsh Band, with even Henley well realizing that non-Eagles picks like “Rocky Mountain Way,” “Funk #49,” and “Life’s Been Good” and Walsh’s solos on “Life in the Fast Lane” and “Hotel California” outdo weightier fare like “The Best of My Love” as the kind of fireworks that send the fans in the top deck home happy.

But for aficionados of deep tracks, there was a unique addition to the Dodger Stadium show, one that Henley maybe felt he couldn’t forego if this really could be the Eagles’ last waltz in L.A. That was the “Hotel California” album closer “The Last Resort,” one of the finest pieces of writing from one of rock’s best lyricists, although, as Henley noted, “We never did it much back in the day.” (Indeed, setlists.fm has this show down as possibly only the seventh time the Eagles ever played it in a regular concert setting, not counting the “Hell Freezes Over” sessions.) “It requires some personnel. But we brought some personnel,” Henley further explained, a nod to a five-piece string section enlisted specifically for “Resort” on top of the horns that adorned a few other numbers. A meditation on land grabs, religion, and the California dream, “The Last Resort” is even more elegiac now than it was in 1976, whether it now put you in mind of global warming or the recent passing of a certain California dreamer.

It was to Deacon Frey, however, to get elegiac on a more profoundly prosaic level: “Anyone out there miss my dad?” he asked. His father was, of course, the real star of this particular show, as evidenced by the remaining band’s choice to employ three substitutes in his stead.

Seger was the surprise of the evening, brought out for “Heartache Tonight,” the barn-burner on which he is co-credited as a writer. (Henley mentioned that one of Frey’s first recording credits was as backup singer on Seger’s 1968 “Ramblin’ Gamblin’ Man,” too.) Deacon was the sentimental favorite, looking and sounding spookily like the family patriarch in his most heartthrobbish post-Troubadour days — and also put on some of the rowdier, earlier songs his father sang, like “Take It Easy” and “Already Gone,” since the ballads benefit from a more experienced hand.

That hand came in the form of country great Gill, who provided as assured a recreation of Frey’s slick soulfulness on “Tequila Sunrise,” “Lyin’ Eyes” and “New Kid in Town” as anyone could (along with assuming Randy Meisner’s high, lonesome sound on “Take It to the Limit”). Henley introduced Gill as “one of the finest singers, the finest songwriters, and the finest guitarists America has ever produced.” It would have been nice to hear more of that guitar playing, but Gill is a naturally humble personality in the presence of other legends, and it’s probably tough to reassign solos in a band that already has Walsh and Steuart Smith in it. But if you’re a fan of both the Eagles and Gill, it’s hard not to fantasize about a future for the group that has Gill involved as a full partner not just in eulogizing Frey but for future collaborative recordings… unlikely as that surely is at this late stage.

Steely Dan’s 75-minute middle set was surely the most purely musical thing that has ever transpired in Dodger Stadium… or at least since Nancy Bea retired, anyway. Just like the Dodgers have the best players money can buy, so do Steely Dan, even if trombone monster Jim Pugh probably isn’t getting paid quite as much as Kershaw. The horn soloists were all responsible in turn for multiple moments of jazz nirvana. And while it might seem disrespectful to say that Becker’s illness created a welcome opening, having Carlton on stage as the sole guitarist for a full set (Fagen also gave Becker’s usual guitar counterpart, Jon Herrington, the night off) made for a highly bootleggable show. Carlton was reading from charts as he recreated the work of some of the other greatest guitarists of the 20th century, but also stepped out and let loose with his own improvisations at appropriate moments — like on “Time Out of Mind” (maybe recognizing that Mark Knopfler’s playing was so buried on the studio mix of that song, no one would remember how it goes anyway).

Steely Dan remain the least rock ‘n’ roll great rock ‘n’ roll band of all time… which is to say, they can be a hard sell to millennials with yacht-rock preconceptions. When Fagen and Becker played Coachella, they were accused, fairly or unfairly, of acting like they didn’t necessarily want to be there. That clearly wasn’t the case with Fagen’s exuberant presence here, where he knew he was playing to his demo and didn’t have to take “Hey Nineteen” quite so literally. He even exited the stage with an exaggerated spring in his step, possibly marking the first time Steely Dan members have ever been associated with actual skipping.

The Doobie Brothers also brought a high level of musicianship, if not contemporary relevance, to their opening set. (For a while, it seemed as if their 1989 track “The Doctor” might be the newest song performed on stage all day, until the Eagles finally bettered it by playing an even fresher track, 1994’s “Love Will Keep Us Alive.”) Tom Johnston doesn’t just have rock’s greatest unironic porn-star ‘stache, but some enduringly slamming chops to help make the nostalgia go down. Also standing out instrumentally was Little Feat’s Billy Payne, who got repeated shout-outs from other Doobies, presumably not just because of his excellence, but as a warning to fans in the top deck that just because they see gray hair behind a keyboard, not to expect Michael McDonald’s voice coming out when they got to “Takin’ It to the Streets.”

“You gotta celebrate, man!” exclaimed Johnston. “This is the Classic! This is the first one of these!” With that, he firmly established whether the nascent festival should be known as “Classic West” or “the Classic West,” counterintuitive as the real answer may seem. (Whether it should rightfully be “the Eagles” or just “Eagles,” we can still eternally debate.)

But satisfying as the first of the fest’s two days may have been, it’s difficult not to mourn the lost opportunity of Steely Dan failing to perform “Everything You Did,” with its sarcastic “Turn up the Eagles” line…. or the Eagles neglecting to bring out anyone from Steely Dan to mime stabbing motions during the reciprocal lyrical homage in “Hotel California.” Maybe at the Classic East?
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2017 at 8:23am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #270 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 12:33pm
We still hate this thread.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #271 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 3:56pm

<  --------------   They Should Tour with Deacon and Vince 
They probably will and charge more than ever.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #272 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 1:59pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 3:56pm:
<  --------------   They Should Tour with Deacon and Vince 
They probably will and charge more than ever.

<  -------------  Say No More S.C.L.  :

http://variety.com/2017/music/news/classic-north-west-seattle-eagles-doobie-brot...

" After a successful inaugural run at Dodger Stadium on July 15 and 16, Classic West will head north to Seattle for Classic Northwest. Topping the bill for September 30 at Safeco Field are The Eagles and Doobie Brothers. An official announcement arrives on Monday.

At opening night of Classic West in Los Angeles, The Eagles shared the bill with Steely Dan in addition to the Doobie Brothers. Filling in for the late Glenn Frey on guitar and vocals was his son, Deacon; Vince Gil and Bob Seger also joined the Eagles in their first show since Frey’s 2016 death. The lineup for night two included Fleetwood Mac, Journey, and Earth, Wind & Fire. That same combination heads to New York’s Citi Field on July 29 and 30.

Tickets prices for the Classic series, a Live Nation production, start at $99 for single-day entry and top out at $2,950 for the two-day front row VIP package in New York.

Safeco Field has a seated capacity of 47,000 and is the home stadium of the Seattle Mariners.  "
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2017 at 2:00pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #273 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 2:39pm
Some Guy wrote on Jul 18th, 2017 at 12:33pm:
We still hate this thread.

Me Arse   !!!!!:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/concerts/7882089/classic-east-eagles-stee...

" Eagles Are Their Own Special Guests at Day One of Classic East Festival  "

" Timothy B. Schmit, Vince Gill, Don Henley, Deacon Frey and Joe Walsh perform onstage with The Eagles during The Classic East - Day 1 at Citi Field on July 29, 2017 in New York City. 
"I may be older, but at least I got to see all the cool bands." So read a T-shirt worn by multiple attendees of Saturday night's (July 29) Classic East festival at Citi Field in Queens, New York, encapsulating the generational pride the fest is meant to exemplify with its lineup of '70s legacy acts.

The half-dozen Classic bands first appeared over two nights at the concert's West Coast incarnation two weeks earlier, and the East swing kicked off on Saturday with The Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan and the Eagles -- the latter making their second appearance with next-gen Eaglet Deacon Frey, replacing his father, the late co-founder Glenn Frey.

Of course, if "cool" was really the objective, it's debatable whether these are the bands to make the case. The three groups were arguably cool in the '70s, definitely not cool in the late '80s or '90s, and at least potentially cool again in the 21st century, as their songs have outlasted any other meaningful cultural associations the bands once had. Nonetheless, those squaring to be hip would certainly have been better served last night about seven miles west at the Panorama Festival on Randall's Island, where Tame Impala headlined a day's worth of cutting-edge underground rock favorites.

Panorama may have had the cred, but Classic East definitely had the hits: Over 40 combined top 40 Hot 100 hits for the three acts on Saturday night, far more than the 73 acts over three nights at Panorama put together. The Doobie Brothers kicked off the night with one of 'em, "Jesus Is Just Alright," revving up what turned out to be an impressively blistering set from the California rockers. The band was locked in and absolutely pumped to be there, and frontman Tom Johnston remains the picture of '70s prosperity: fat moustache, luxurious black hair, and muscular, finger-pointing swagger.

Sadly, as at Classic West, longtime DoobBro Michael McDonald (who replaced Johnston in the band largely for health reasons in the mid-'70s) was nowhere to be found. That meant no "It Keeps You Running," "Minute By Minute," or of course, "What a Fool Believes" -- arguably the band's biggest hit, though one strictly untouchable without McDonald's singular blubbering. (The Doobies did perform his "Taking It to the Streets," however, with founding guitarist Patrick Simmons and newer bassist John Cowan combining for a respectable vocal facsimile.)

It would've been great to see McDonald, who left the group decades ago but still pops up with them occasionally -- could've stuck around to reprise his backing vocals on Steely Dan's "Peg," too! -- but the set may have been more coherent for his absence, since the synth-soul jams of his Doobies era would've fit oddly around the group's tighter, bluesier early material. And when a band can close out a pre-encore with a troika of stone FM classics like "Black Water," "Long Train Coming" and "China Grove," it's hard to really grouse at them for the songs they left on the table.

Pivotal members missing would be a recurring theme throughout the evening, however: One song into their expert 13-song set, Steely Dan frontman Donald Fagen addressed the absence of the band's guitarist and co-founder, Walter Becker, who also missed Classic West, both with illness. Fagen said Becker's recovering and you certainly hope he is; in the meantime, his contributions were ably covered -- in large part by the band's old instrumentalist friend Larry Carlton -- and Fagen remained in high spirits, swaying goofily at the piano and grinning widely from behind his comically loose tie.

Steely Dan's set was marvelous -- energetic, proficient and predictably virtuosic, with solos zooming from every direction, courtesy of trombones, melodicas, drums and most instruments in between. The band played at least one song from each of their seven original studio albums (no luck, Two Against Nature Grammy voters) but leaned most heavily on the last three; the two hits from 1980's original farewell Gaucho ("Hey Nineteen" and "Time Out of Mind") sounded especially limber. The band skipped breakthrough smash "Do It Again" but played their debut's David Palmer-sung classic-rock staple "Dirty Work," giving backing vocalists "The Danettes" an opportunity to prove the song could've been a dynamite Rufus and Chaka Khan ballad in another life. And Fagen had the best stage banter of the night, at one point asking the crowd to "Give one of those 'millennial whoops'." (Hey, he must be a Billlboard.co reader!)

The Dan's portion of the gig ended 20 minutes ahead of schedule -- which, combined with Bob Seger's surprise appearance during the Eagles' set at Classic West, had the crowd buzzing about who the band's special guest could possibly be this time. (John Mellencamp? John Fogerty? Post-Panorama Frank Ocean doing "American Wedding"??) The answer: Nobody! The Eagles' nearly two-and-a-half-hour set came and went without a single unexpected visitor. Sorry, NY fans -- hopefully it means twice the surprise guests during Fleetwood Mac on Sunday?

Regardless, the Eagles brought more than enough of their own firepower to make up for their lack of supplementary celebs. Of course, the band already has two solo stars in Don Henley and Joe Walsh (apologies, Timothy B. Schmit), and they've added a third in country legend Vince Gill -- who also helped fill in for Glenn Frey at Classic West, and who the band introduced on Saturday as "one of the best singer-songwriters and guitarists this country has ever produced." Gill acquitted himself admirably on Frey country-rock standards "Lyin' Eyes" and "Tequila Sunrise," and even played the Randy Meisner part on proto-power ballad "Take It to the Limit" -- though he couldn't quite commit to the song's trademark falsetto squeals on the outro.

But again, all eyes were most squarely on young Deacon, a positively eerie dead-ringer for his younger pops (with perhaps a touch of Eli Manning thrown in), who seemed humbled, but not overwhelmed by the opportunity to step into dad's shoes in front of many thousands of long-time fans. He handled it like a pro, and he sounded awesome -- not that replacing Glenn Frey's plaintive twang is as high a degree-of-difficulty ask as mimicking Michael McDonald, but it was still stunning how quickly his crooning became inconspicuous. "It's all a little tender," Deacon admitted of being back in New York, where his father passed back in January 2016. "But with all you guys, and these guys behind me supporting me, it should be pretty good."

It wasn't only the roster that packed no surprises at the show last night -- the set list was also identical to the Eagles' rundown from Classic West, with the sole addition of Don Henley's 1990 minor solo hit "New York Minute," presumably for geographic reasons. Still, the songs chosen left little to argue with, providing a couple well-selected deep cuts (sweeping Hotel California closer "The Last Resort" and funky Long Run talkbox exercise  "Those Shoes") and otherwise just hammering the hits.

As the band serpentined through their classics, you really got a sense of just how many things they did well: They might be most frequently recalled as paragons of laid-back California country rock, but they were similarly adept at widescreen arena rock, smooth pop-soul and even blue-eyed disco, their combination of gorgeous harmonies, scorching guitar leads and a swinging rhythm section making them one of the most crossover-capable bands of the '70s. Not many groups could go from "Take It Easy" to "One of These Nights" in three years' time; that the Eagles played the songs back-to-back on Saturday without it even seeming weird was just a testament to how much we take their versatility for granted.

If one were to find fault with the Eagles' set list, it would be that it took too extended a dip into Joe Walsh's solo and James Gang material -- four of the band's final eight songs, including "Rocky Mountain Way" to kick off the second encore. Great songs, all, and it was especially righteous hearing "In the City" in The Warriors' hometown, but it felt like a lot of Iso Joe, especially without much solo Henley (or solo Frey, natch, though it would've been a treat to hear the kid take on "You Belong to the City") to balance. Nonetheless, the night ended the right way: With Henley leading an elegiac "Desperado," the first song he and Frey ever wrote together. Don's voice sounds a little pinched after 45 years, but that only adds hard-earned pathos to the song's "You ain't getting any younger" message. Elaine Benes' boyfriend woulda loved it.

Unlike at West, when Henley & Co. seemed to hint that the two Classic concerts could represent the band's last ride, there were fewer moments of finality at East -- mostly just gratitude. And with Deacon and possibly Gill in tow, there's no real reason the group shouldn't be able to continue on: The band sounds about as on-point as ever, and festivals like Desert Trip and Classic East/West are proving there's still a market for headliners of the Eagles' age and stature. The kids at least deserve a chance to try to catch up to the older folks, right?  "
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2017 at 2:42pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #274 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 12:28pm
MrPleasant wrote on Dec 23rd, 2016 at 9:16pm:
I'm so giddy, I'm typing this with a dead man penis.

https://www.pollstar.com/article/eagles-books-fall-run-132698

" Eagles Books Fall Run "

“The Classic Northwest” isn’t the only place to catch the Eagles on stage this fall. The band announced a handful of performances today, with tickets going on sale this week.

“The Eagles concert at Citi Field Saturday was so poignant and well-executed there was no way to tell whether it was the legendary band’s final East Coast appearance or the start of its next chapter,” Newsday’s Glenn Gamboa wrote in his review of the “Classic East” event in late July.

The concert at New York’s Citi Field was the East Coast edition of the summer extravaganza featuring Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan, Journey and more. In addition to the fantastic lineup, the concerts were significant for being the first shows for the Eagles since founding member Glenn Frey died in January 2016.

Like Classic East and West, the lineup for the new fall headline dates will feature Vince Gill and Deacon Frey – the son of Glenn Frey – joining Eagles’ Don Henley, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit.

The first concert takes place at the Greensboro Coliseum in North Carolina Oct. 17.

The other stops are booked at Philips Arena in Atlanta Oct. 20; KFC Yum! Center in Louisville, Ky., Oct. 24; and Little Caesars Arena in Detroit, Mich., Oct. 27.

An American Express card member presale starts Oct. 15 at 10 a.m.

A limited number of VIP ticket packages will be available, including premium seats and access to a preshow VIP lounge.

Tickets go on sale to the general public Aug. 19 at 10 a.m. All times local.   "

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)