Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Playing For Change Announces 3rd Album: Songs Around The World with Keith Richards (Read 4,228 times)
Tom
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

US
Playing For Change Announces 3rd Album: Songs Around The World with Keith Richards
Mar 26th, 2014 at 10:06am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:01pm by Unholy Trinity »  

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Re: Playing For Change Announces 3rd Album: Songs Around The World with Keith Richards
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2014 at 10:52am
wow...that sounds like a great collection! thanks for posting

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

AngieBlue
Rocks Off Regular

Re: Playing For Change Announces 3rd Album: Songs Around The World with Keith Richards
Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2014 at 11:21pm
I'll be on the lookout for this disc.  Thanks for posting Tom.

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
World Exclusive: Keith Richards Plays 'Words of Wonder / Get Up Stand Up' video
Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 6:36am
http://www.nme.com/nme-video/world-exclusive-keith-richards-plays-words-of-wonde...

Keith sounds like he's having fun...and looking good - minus the skull ring!

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: World Exclusive: Keith Richards Plays 'Words of Wonder / Get Up Stand Up' video
Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 6:44am
Wonderful stuff

'Words of Wonder' is a fantastic song.

Hadnt noticed the skull ring being missing. This is actually a good sign, because as far back as the late 90s the talk was that the digit in question was so arthritic that he couldn't remove it.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Re: World Exclusive: Keith Richards Plays 'Words of Wonder / Get Up Stand Up' video
Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 6:47am
Loving this!!!!

Here's a still shot from the vid shoot

--Dirty Rock Magazine

IP Logged

munichhilton
Rocks Off Regular

The bell tolls for thee

Texas
Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 8:48am
Not bad at all Keith...not certain what the anti-Christian Wailers song has to do with change but it's got a great groove!

This is a nice primer for the solo cd coming up...

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 3:21pm
munichhilton wrote on Apr 29th, 2014 at 8:48am:
Not bad at all Keith...not certain what the anti-Christian Wailers song has to do with change but it's got a great groove!

This is a nice primer for the solo cd coming up...

Depends of course on the kind of change you're looking for!

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 4:56pm
Mighty fine stuff.....some outstanding musicians and singers....can we add this to the "who has most inner happiness" thread? Keith lovin life and even though mostly strumming along his presence will bring attention to this work.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Right here in the USA
Reply #9 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 5:11pm
Best solo Stone project in years...although hardly a full-fledged Keef project, it seems to have pulled off what Jagger's lame SuperHeavy thingy was trying to achieve - a truly global groove. He's doing a lot more than just strumming along, too. He sounds GREAT, vocally and instrumentally, and fits into the groove effortlessly.

I'm betting they had to cut the ring off.

...&&&&
IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #10 - Apr 29th, 2014 at 10:17pm
Let's not forget (and even prefer) the super 'Shine Eye Gal'...

(here with the odd jingle added by JBC's Mikey Dread?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6FvLvb1yes

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #11 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 9:17am

It's not "anti-Christian," unless you consider any non-Christian act of religious homage (e.g. putting a Star of David on your car as opposed to a "Jesus fish") to be anti-Christian.  Considering the song Get Up Stand Up to be anti-Christian is to say that all religions are anti-all-other-religions.  It's inherent.  At least the song is an attempt to duke or suss out which religion, if any, is ultimately the correct one?

But you are right, I don't see what material or practical change substituting Rastafari for Christianity would have on the issues of the day, other than the legalized marijuana issue.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

munichhilton
Rocks Off Regular

The bell tolls for thee

Texas
Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 2:54pm
sirmoonie wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 9:17am:

It's not "anti-Christian," unless you consider any non-Christian act of religious homage (e.g. putting a Star of David on your car as opposed to a "Jesus fish") to be anti-Christian.  Considering the song Get Up Stand Up to be anti-Christian is to say that all religions are anti-all-other-religions.  It's inherent.  At least the song is an attempt to duke or suss out which religion, if any, is ultimately the correct one?

But you are right, I don't see what material or practical change substituting Rastafari for Christianity would have on the issues of the day, other than the legalized marijuana issue.

Heres where I get confused

In this groovin' song, the mighty Peter Tosh says of Christianity "We're sick and tired of the ism-schism game dying to go to heaven in Jesus name. We know and we understand that mighty god is a living man...you can fool...etc etc"

Even Bob feels like bombing a Church in "Talking Blues"...

Its ok...I don't take offense to the Rastafarian defensiveness towards Christ. I put it in the same category as Texas A&M mentioning UT in each of its school fight songs and UT couldn't give a rip...

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #13 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 4:04pm
From the official website, ready to download/convert/etc

http://youtu.be/biGm7nUgisA

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #14 - Apr 30th, 2014 at 11:17pm
munichhilton wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 2:54pm:
sirmoonie wrote on Apr 30th, 2014 at 9:17am:

Heres where I get confused

In this groovin' song, the mighty Peter Tosh says of Christianity "We're sick and tired of the ism-schism game dying to go to heaven in Jesus name. We know and we understand that mighty god is a living man...you can fool...etc etc"

Even Bob feels like bombing a Church in "Talking Blues"...

Its ok...I don't take offense to the Rastafarian defensiveness towards Christ. I put it in the same category as Texas A&M mentioning UT in each of its school fight songs and UT couldn't give a rip...

Yes, I moogled the lyrics before I posted because, in decades of listening to the Wailers and reading books, magazines, watching documentaries, all the usual rock journalism, I had never heard any of their songs characterized as "anti-Christian" until now.  Rastafari is considered by many Rastafarians and others who follow this stuff to actually be a Christian religion.  Its a lot closer to mainstream American Christianity than Mormonism, for example (and obviously much less fraudulent, creepy, and joyless).

I don't see anything anti-Christian in those lyrics (assuming person with stable sensitivities).  I think my point is understandable - asserting a faith in one version of unprovable events is an inherent challenge to the truth of every other version - but that surely can't be considered "anti-".  Merely taking the next step and expressing that disbelief can't be "anti-" either.

I also don't see anything defensive in those lyrics.  Defensiveness implies a degree of abrasiveness in an attempt to cover up a known weakness in one's position.  From all I've read and observed of Rastas, they are just as convinced that their favorite supernatural events took place (e.g., Jesus/Jah reincarnating in Haile Sellassie) as you are that yours did (e.g., virgin birth, reanimation of the deceased Jesus, Lazarus, Dorcas, etc.).  If anything, the lyrics express frustration that the only story they hear is clearly the wrong one.  Hopelessly biased maybe, but no way are the Rastas ambivalent about where Jesus/Jah went for the second coming.  To the contrary, your challenge to the lyrics to Get Up Stand Up seems more defensive than the Wailers could reasonably be accused of being in the first instance.  Keep in mind, they were probably stoned.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #15 - May 5th, 2014 at 8:49pm
The session in Metepec, near Toluca, 30 minutes from Mexico City lasted 3-4 hours

More here http://www.elvigia.net/cultura/2014/5/5/ritmo-danza-keith-richards-157424.html

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)