Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
AC/DC 1973 to 2014 (Read 18,379 times)
TomL
Rocks Off Regular

Change the Fucking sets

Sweet Virginia
AC/DC 1973 to 2014
Apr 15th, 2014 at 1:10pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2014 at 9:05pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

...Her love is ecstasy When her arms enfold me I hear her tender rhapsody But in reality, she doesn't Fucking know me...JMI once again..... running away with me...........

IP Logged

nankerphelge
Rocks Off Regular

Maybe being bad is more
fun than being good...

Sweet Virginia
Re: AC/DC 1973 to 2014
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 1:55pm
That is a shame.  But it is certainly understandable.

Ironic that I am wearing that AC/DC shirt you got me for my birthday!

IP Logged

TomL
Rocks Off Regular

Change the Fucking sets

Sweet Virginia
Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 1:58pm
lets hope he gets better. they were planning a world tour.

...Her love is ecstasy When her arms enfold me I hear her tender rhapsody But in reality, she doesn't Fucking know me...JMI once again..... running away with me...........

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 2:24pm
Not so fast...................

From Billboard:

AC/DC Not on Cusp of Retirement: Sources

By Gary Graff

Rumors of AC/DC's imminent demise appear to be exaggerated.

Reports surfaced Monday in the group's native Australia that the quintet was on the verge of announcing its retirement due to one band member's (presumably guitarist Malcolm Young's) serious illness. But insiders tell Billboard that there's no truth to the rumor, though the group's management and Columbia Records, its current label, have chosen not to comment on the matter.

Australia's Noise11.com adds that the source of the retirement rumor was an email sent to Perth radio station 6PR from an anonymous tipster using the handle Thunderstruck. The station subsequently spread the word, setting off a flurry of reports first throughout Australia and then worldwide.

This is hardly the first time AC/DC has been rumored to be on the verge of calling it quits. Frontman Brian Johnson set off a furor in 2011 when he spoke of retirement, though he subsequently claimed to have been quoted out of context.

In fact, he told Billboard at the time that, "A journalist asked me once, 'What do you think about retirement, Brian, seeing as you're getting older?' I said something honest and quite naive; I said, 'Well, I'll retire when I can't do it anymore and as soon as I feel I can't do it anymore, then I'll retire.' Next thing I now there's a headline, 'Brian Johnson's gonna retire' and I'm like, 'Y'know, what a piece of shit that guy is.' And it came out all wrong so you got to be careful what you say. Retirement is like anything... There's a time when you have to call it quits. I don't want to do it, and if we can get out and (do) the album and do another short little tour or something, have a bit of fun, I'm your man. I'll be right there."

In fact, the retirement speculation ran counter to yet another report that will likely please fans more. According to The Australian, AC/DC has booked six weeks of studio time in Vancouver, to work on a follow-up to 2008's chart-topping, double-platinum "Black Ice, which was recorded there with producer Brendan O'Brien. Nobody in the band's camp is commenting on that, either, but earlier this year Johnson predicted that AC/DC would indeed be working on a new album as well as playing a 40-date tour to commemorate the group's 40th anniversary.

IP Logged

polytoxic
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 2:35pm
Rumours flying.

Jesse Fink, who has written a book on AC/DC, has started a twitter war with the original reporter in Australia who went with the story, however even his rebuttals aren't all that encouraging.

AC/DC The Youngs ‏@JesseFink·9 hrs
@mrpford @ACurrentAffair9 AC/DC deserves respect. They are entitled to make an announcement on their own terms. You've shown no respect.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 2:42pm
Blast from the past:

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

nankerphelge
Rocks Off Regular

Maybe being bad is more
fun than being good...

Sweet Virginia
Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 4:06pm

And the music was good and the music was loud....

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #7 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 4:22pm
what's the serious illness?

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #8 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 4:36pm
Pdog wrote on Apr 15th, 2014 at 4:22pm:
what's the serious illness?

Supposedly, a stroke that left a blood clot on the brain.

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #9 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 7:06pm
Well If Malcolm Young cant perform maybe they could try using his younger brother to take his place but it wont be the same. I remember when Bon Scott died nobody thought they could go on but they did it and they did it well.
What a drag it is getting old.

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #10 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 8:02pm
I dig AC/DC music.  Rock and roll.  They will be back.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

lavendar
Rocks Off Regular

Buffalo,NY
Reply #11 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 3:35am
Fu==In Shit

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #12 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 6:08am
Malcolm's younger brother is already in the band.

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #13 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 8:57am
Christians here are happy about the retirement of ACDC, who have been a nail in their cross since the Dirty Deeds days, culminating in the anti-Christian rock opera "Highway to Hell."  I mean for Chrissake, ACDC even put little devil horns and and a little devil tail on the cover photo of Angus Young (while Bon Scott beamed on), in a deliberate attempt to praise The Fallen Angel/Satan, and challenge listeners.  See Sons of Perdition at John 17:12 ("While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.").

The die was cast.  Alea jacta est.  ACDC drew lines in the smelch.  See Revelation 20:7-8.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

nankerphelge
Rocks Off Regular

Maybe being bad is more
fun than being good...

Sweet Virginia
Reply #14 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 8:59am
As if further proof is needed:

How could you not want to rock out with them in Buenos Aires????!!!!!

I spotted a bunch of us at the show:

moonie - 2:37
Voodoo - 2:21
Joey - 2:31
Mr. Pleasant - 2:59
Edith - 3:10
Gazza 0:57, bottom left
LJ - 1:45
TomL - 2:45
nanky - 4:33

« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2014 at 9:11am by nankerphelge »  

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #15 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 9:18am
Nanky, you were easy to spot!

IP Logged

nankerphelge
Rocks Off Regular

Maybe being bad is more
fun than being good...

Sweet Virginia
Reply #16 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 9:22am
Not just another pretty face!

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #17 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 9:26am
Not just another CHIBA face, you mean!!!!!

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #18 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 9:30am
Argentinians love their rock-n-roll.

I once read that The Ramones used to consistently play stadiums there, only to return home and play clubs.

IP Logged

polytoxic
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #19 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 9:36am
From the AC/DC Facebook page:

After forty years of life dedicated to AC/DC, guitarist and founding member Malcolm Young is taking a break from the band due to ill health. Malcolm would like to thank the group’s diehard legions of fans worldwide for their never-ending love and support.

In light of this news, AC/DC asks that Malcolm and his family’s privacy be respected during this time. The band will continue to make music.

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #20 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 9:37am
From The Telegraph:

AC/DC: We are not retiring

Exclusive: Brian Johnson, the frontman of the rock band AC/DC, tells Jake Wallis Simons that rumours that the band are about to split up following concerns for the health of Malcolm Young are not true

Brian Johnson, the flamboyant frontman of the rock band AC/DC, has debunked rumours that the band are about to split up following concerns for the health of one of the members. Instead, he revealed that the band are still planning to get together and write material for a prospective new album.

"We are definitely getting together in May in Vancouver," he told the Telegraph. "We're going to pick up some guitars, have a plonk, and see if anybody has got any tunes or ideas. If anything happens, we'll record it."

He confirmed that one member of the band – thought to be rhythm guitarist Malcolm Young, the older brother of school-uniform-wearing lead guitarist Angus Young – has been suffering from ill health, but denied that this meant the end of the road for the band.

"I wouldn't like to say anything either way about the future," he said. "I'm not ruling anything out. One of the boys has a debilitating illness, but I don't want to say too much about it. He is very proud and private, a wonderful chap. We've been pals for 35 years and I look up to him very much."

It has been reported that AC/DC are planning a tour to mark their 40th anniversary, which would involve 40 concerts in 40 different venues. "That would be a wonderful way to say bye bye," said Johnson. "We would love to do it. But it's all up in the air at the moment.

"AC/DC is such a tight family. We've stuck to our guns through the Eighties and Nineties when people were saying we should change our clothes and our style. But we didn't and people got it that we are the real deal."

Earlier, Young's difficulties were discussed by his friend Mark Gable, the frontman of fellow Australian band Choirboys who said it appeared the 61-year-old "is unable to perform any more". There were suggestions that Young had suffered a stroke.

Speculation about his health led to suggestions the band were on the brink of retirement, a rumour Johnson has now scotched.

The band has previously survived the death of its singer when Scottish-born frontman Bon Scott died in 1980 after a night of heavy drinking in London, to be replaced by Johnson, who has remained as vocalist ever since.

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #21 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 10:27am

SYDNEY, April 16 (UPI) -- AC/DC founding member Malcom Young announced his retirement on Wednesday amid rumors that the band is breaking up.

The band writes in an announcement on their Facebook that "after forty years of life dedicated to AC/DC," Young will be "taking a break from the band due to ill health."

"Malcom would like to thank the group's diehard legions of fans worldwide for their never-ending love and support," the statement continues. "In light of this news, AC/DC asks that Malcom and his family's privacy be respected during this time. The band will continue to make music."

Rumors of a breakup began to swirl Monday night after Australian radio station 6PR tweeted that Young had moved back to Australia due to illness. AC/DC frontman Brian Johnson denied a breakup on Wednesday just hours before the band's announcement on Facebook, and said that the group still plans to reunite and write a new album.

"We are definitely getting together in May in Vancouver," Johnson told The Daily Telegraph. "We're going to pick up some guitars, have a plonk, and see if anybody has got any tunes or ideas. If anything happens, we'll record it."

Johnson acknowledged that "one member" of the band is sick, but said he "wouldn't like to say anything either way about the future."

"I'm not ruling anything out," the musician conceded. "One of the boys has a debilitating illness, but I don't want to say too much about it. He is very proud and private, a wonderful chap. We've been pals for 35 years and I look up to him very much."

Johnson said the band "would love" to do a 40th anniversary tour, but "it's all up in the air at the moment."

IP Logged

nankerphelge
Rocks Off Regular

Maybe being bad is more
fun than being good...

Sweet Virginia
Reply #22 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 2:35pm
Sad to hear that his health is poor.

I wish Malcom the best, and hope for a recovery over whatever is ailing him.

Hope AC/DC can still get the groove without him -- must be a horrible let down for everyone involved.

Here's a little something for Malcom fans everywhere:

IP Logged

Bluzdude
Rocks Off Regular

I'm here-that's all that
matters. Rocks Off Rules!

Los Angeles
Reply #23 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 11:09pm
nankerphelge wrote on Apr 16th, 2014 at 2:35pm:
Sad to hear that his health is poor.

I wish Malcom the best, and hope for a recovery over whatever is ailing him.

Hope AC/DC can still get the groove without him -- must be a horrible let down for everyone involved.

Here's a little something for Malcom fans everywhere:

Totally agree, and I'm sure Malcolm would want the band to continue...

...It's great to be here...It's great to be anywhere!

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #24 - Apr 17th, 2014 at 8:30pm
These people may be rejoicing about the ACDC retirement news.

Whatever their faults, ACDC had fortitude.  They came to the U.S., a country where 80% of citizens self-identify as believers in the divine origins of the Bible and the virgin birth of god's son (Nazareenian Jesus Christ) for the ostensible purpose of salvaging all human beings from a fate worse than death (i.e. eternal damnation).  And a lot of other stuff too.  Yet, ACDC entered this market mocking, deriding, disparaging, besmirchalizing and completely degrading the core beliefs of that 80%, with songs such as Highway to Hell, Hell's Bells, Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be, Back in Black, and Big Mondo Balls.  That is not a top notch marketing plan, and Atlantic Records had to know that.  Yet, they stuck to it, believing they could reach the 20% minority, and you can't challenge their $$$,$$$,$$$ success in the niche anti-Christian fan market.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)