Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
20 Years Ago: Darryl Jones Joins the Rolling Stones (Read 1,699 times)
Tom
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

US
20 Years Ago: Darryl Jones Joins the Rolling Stones
Mar 19th, 2014 at 8:48am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
20 Years Ago: Darryl Jones Joins the Rolling Stones
by Bryan WawzenekMarch 18, 2014 11:45 AM

Getty Images
After almost 30 years as a Rolling Stone, Bill Wyman was done. In December of 1992, the band’s founding bassist publicly announced he was parting ways with the group. No more tours. No more records. The search was on to replace this key Stone.

Immediately, Chicago-born bass player Darryl Jones put out the word that he was interested in auditioning for Mick Jagger and company. Although Jones wasn’t a high-profile musician, he had spent the last decade backing some of the most respected artists in music. Jones, born in 1961, cut his teeth as part of Miles Davis’s band in the early ’80s. He played in Sting’s “blue turtles” band. And he had done session work with an A-list roster of talent, from Herbie Hancock to Madonna to Peter Gabriel. It also didn’t hurt that he had met Jagger while touring with Sting and became acquainted with Keith Richards because two of his pals were in Keef’s solo band, the X-pensive Winos.

So Jones got an audition in June, where he played some of the Stones’ greatest hits with the band in New York. He felt good about the session and, reportedly so did drummer Charlie Watts who favored playing with Jones again. A few weeks later, he was invited to Ireland to record some of the new material Mick and Keith had started to assemble for the band’s next record. Although Jones’s basslines would become part of 1994’s ‘Voodoo Lounge,’ his future in the band was not set in, ahem, stone.

One night, as the Stones were putting the finishing touches on the new album in Los Angeles, Jones was called down to the studio. There he met Richards, who said, “Charlie asked me if we were going to play with you? We’ve auditioned all those guys, chose you to play on the record – I don’t think we’re now gonna go choose someone else.” Keith went on to tell Jones about the conversation he’d just had with Watts: “Charlie said, ‘Maybe someone should tell him!’ So I’m telling you, you’re gonna go with us.” The bassist was overjoyed and an announcement was made on March 18, 1994 that Darryl Jones would play on the Stones’ new album and world tour, set to begin that summer. Jones has played on every Stones album and tour ever since.

Of course, there’s a bit of fine print to the arrangement. Jones is not a full-fledged member of the group (like Jagger, Richards, Watts and Ron Wood). He is reportedly a salaried member on tours, akin to saxophonist Bobby Keys and keyboardist Chuck Leavell – a fact that many Stones fans remain unhappy about.

Jones has never complained about this in public – instead focusing on his love of playing with the Stones, particularly with Watts, who shares a love of jazz with the bassist.

IP Logged

munichhilton
Rocks Off Regular

The bell tolls for thee

Texas
Re: 20 Years Ago: Darryl Jones Joins the Rolling Stones
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 10:01am
I love Darryl...I followed him around in 1985 and 86 just watching him and Omar Hakim work together...

I was thrilled when he became a Stone. They have yet to use even 38% of his abilities! but perhaps his greatest ability is fitting in with Charlie and just being the bottom line everybody needs...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 11:19am
That tour with Hakim - was that the Sting tour?

I was at the last show of that tour, in Belfast in 1986. I met Darryl almost a decade later backstage at a Stones show in Paris and he told me he remembered that gig really well. Have met him again a few times since and he really is one of the most likeable, approachable guys in the business you could ever wish to encounter.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

munichhilton
Rocks Off Regular

The bell tolls for thee

Texas
Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 12:07pm
Gazza wrote on Mar 19th, 2014 at 11:19am:

I was at the last show of that tour, in Belfast in 1986. I met Darryl almost a decade later backstage at a Stones show in Paris and he told me he remembered that gig really well. Have met him again a few times since and he really is one of the most likeable, approachable guys in the business you could ever wish to encounter.

Yup, thats the one. I didn't want to mention the name after the moonie/Eagles debacle but it really was a fantastic tour.

Sting was out to prove himself and I already liked the Police...but that band was intense. Kenny Kirkland, Omar, Darryl, B Marsalis...

I loved it up and down the California coast and then inland

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 12:13pm
Maybe He'll become a member of The band? it took Ronnie a long time.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

munichhilton
Rocks Off Regular

The bell tolls for thee

Texas
Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 12:50pm
Heart Of Stone wrote on Mar 19th, 2014 at 12:13pm:

Wait...Ronnie's a member now? When the hell did that happen?

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 1:05pm
munichhilton wrote on Mar 19th, 2014 at 12:50pm:

One day when you weren't looking.  smoking more weed is good for your health

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

munichhilton
Rocks Off Regular

The bell tolls for thee

Texas
Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 2:36pm
Edith Grove wrote on Mar 19th, 2014 at 1:05pm:
munichhilton wrote on Mar 19th, 2014 at 12:50pm:

One day when you weren't looking.  smoking more weed is good for your health

What about Lisa?  Chuck?
I'm next....

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 2:55pm
munichhilton wrote on Mar 19th, 2014 at 12:07pm:

Yup, thats the one. I didn't want to mention the name after the moonie/Eagles debacle but it really was a fantastic tour.

Sting was out to prove himself and I already liked the Police...but that band was intense. Kenny Kirkland, Omar, Darryl, B Marsalis...

Great album. Great tour. Great band. Best thing he ever did, either with The Police or solo.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

munichhilton
Rocks Off Regular

The bell tolls for thee

Texas
Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2014 at 5:03pm
Gazza wrote on Mar 19th, 2014 at 2:55pm:
munichhilton wrote on Mar 19th, 2014 at 12:07pm:

Great album. Great tour. Great band. Best thing he ever did, either with The Police or solo.

Yessir those were the days...Ghost In The Machine guy myself...but I love some Blue Turtles...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)