Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Led Zeppelin Readying Unreleased Material For New Box Sets (Read 83,005 times)
munichhilton
Rocks Off Regular

The bell tolls for thee

Texas
Re: Led Zeppelin Readying Unreleased Material For New Box Sets
Reply #50 - May 20th, 2014 at 9:02am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I read somewhere that Zep had written something called the 'Star Spangled' something or other ...but before they could record it, Hendrix stole it and played it at an outdoor festival...

So they've been victims too

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #51 - May 20th, 2014 at 9:08am
Bingo wrote on May 20th, 2014 at 7:51am:
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Mar 16th, 2014 at 3:34pm:
Gazza wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 6:27pm:
There's a delicious irony in stealing Led Zeppelin's music!

LOL

It was really hard to me assimilate that Led Zeppelin one of my fav bands was not a cover band but the band with most plagiarism in the history of rock, they even made plagiarism of plagiarism... Why? It was just to give proper credits and then “Arr. Page-Plant”

You know what gets over-looked. Is someone going to tell me that not one record industry person or sound man never heard those songs Zeppelin lifted? C'mon, the Record Companies are just as guilty.

Good point, but are the record companies responsible for policing the artists, or does the responsibility lie solely with the artist?

Has there ever been a case where a record company has been sued for an artist's plagiarism?
Has a record company ever sued one of it's own artists for such a case?

I'd imagine when an artist signs with a record company, the artist assumes all responsibility for possible actions that might take place along these lines.

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #52 - May 20th, 2014 at 9:40am
Edith Grove wrote on May 20th, 2014 at 9:08am:
Good point, but are the record companies responsible for policing the artists, or does the responsibility lie solely with the artist?

Has there ever been a case where a record company has been sued for an artist's plagiarism?
Has a record company ever sued one of it's own artists for such a case?

I'd imagine when an artist signs with a record company, the artist assumes all responsibility for possible actions that might take place along these lines.

AGAIN...I am not an entertainment expert...seriously...

but you are correct....it all lays in the publishing, not the recording/distro area...
Unfortunately, it is not as easy as doing a deed research on a piece of land

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #53 - May 21st, 2014 at 5:42am
Jimmy Page Says He ‘Left No Stone Unturned’ While Crafting Led Zeppelin Box Sets
by Ultimate Classic Rock Staff May 14, 2014

Michael Putland, Getty Images

Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page told us he “left no stone unturned” while remastering and expanding the legendary group’s studio albums for their upcoming deluxe edition re-releases, and said his goal was to offer listeners “a window into when they were recorded.”

Page hosted an intimate listening event to preview songs from the expanded versions of Led Zeppelin’s first three albums yesterday in New York City. He shared alternate or newly unearthed live performances of seven of the band’s classics — including a version of ‘Whole Lotta Love’ with a completely different vocal take, and a ‘Gallows Pole’ demo that removes the mandolin and banjo in order to put the focus squarely on Page’s acoustic guitar work. He also played us one of the collection’s most anticipated treasures, an acoustic version of the blues standard ‘Keys to the Highway / Trouble in Mind,’ which featured just himself on acoustic guitar and Robert Plant on harmonica and vocals.

Our initial impressions were something like “holy (word we can’t use)!,” but to be more professional about it, these alternate versions sound refreshingly raw and original.
They’re not so radically different that you can’t easily reassemble the more famous versions in your head — we kept adding the guitar slide back into the chorus of this version of ‘Whole Lotta Love,’ for example. But hearing first-hand the effects of the different track and mixing choices Page and his bandmates made back in the day does indeed accomplish their stated goal of offering exciting new perspectives on songs we’ve all enjoyed hundreds of times.

The fit-looking, sharply dressed and quick-witted Page also participated in a highly entertaining Q&A following this listening session. He took us all the way back to the band’s formative days, recalling that when he, Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham first played together, “We knew we’d never heard anything like this before.”

He went on to praise both the individual talents of his former bandmates (“each of us were musical equals”), and Led Zeppelin’s collective chemistry, noting “we played so well as a band and that’s what’s reflected” on these new collections. Page also revealed that no actual restoration was needed for the tapes of the first three albums, as the masters were still in good condition.

As far as the painstaking amount of work Page put into this massive project, he said that he listened to every single one of the group’s recorded tracks and used only complete takes for the new versions of songs. That means there was no after-the-fact Beatles ‘Anthology’ cut-and-pasted “jiggery-pokery” to create the illusion of completed tracks out of different partial versions. “They’re all the real deal,” he assured us.

Which doesn’t mean we’re not in for some big changes. For example, ‘Since I’ve Been Loving You’ has what Page called “a completely different drum take,” while the guitars used on the new versions of that track and ‘Heartbreaker’ are “much cooler” and laid back than their fiery original album counterparts. Page sees these different versions as a natural reflection of the band’s musical open-mindedness. “I recall having many different approaches to the guitar. … We pushed things. … Everything was supposed to sound different.”

Always known for his innovative producing skills as well as his songwriting and guitar-playing wizardry, Page told us that the music of Led Zeppelin is now as prepared as possible for whatever the future of audio playback brings. Although he wouldn’t give away his “trade secrets,” he assured us that his work was done in such a cutting edge, high-resolution format that it’ll be ready for future formats Apple and Neil Young haven’t even dreamed of yet.

Page summed up his thoughts by saying that the overall experience of going back through Led Zeppelin’s recorded work was “so joyous,” and that he’s excited for fans to hear the treasures that await them on the expanded versions of the rest of the band’s catalog: “There’s lots of good things to come.” Among them are an alternate version of ‘Bonzo’s Montreaux,’ a percussion solo Page included on 1982′s ‘Coda’ as a tribute to his fallen friend. You can expect those albums sometime in 2015.

Read More: Jimmy Page Says He 'Left No Stone Unturned' While Crafting Led Zeppelin Box Sets | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/jimmy-page-interview-2014/?trackback=tsmclip

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

polytoxic
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #54 - May 29th, 2014 at 3:46pm
Here's that La La track. Interesting instrumental. Kinda sounds like four different ones stitched together.

https://soundcloud.com/wyatt-brake/la-la-unreleased-1969-led-zeppelin-instrument...

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #55 - Jun 9th, 2014 at 9:06pm
WOW! I pre-ordered the three super deluxe box sets, they were shipped separately, first LZ III in one big box and then LZ I and II in another, today I received LZ III and it’s really a great production, the LPs are separated one is a replica of the original LZ III gatefold cover with the rotating art and the die cuts and the same for the CD, it’s a replica of the original, great production!!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #56 - Jun 10th, 2014 at 11:40pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Jun 9th, 2014 at 9:06pm:
WOW! I pre-ordered the three super deluxe box sets, they were shipped separately, first LZ III in one big box and then LZ I and II in another, today I received LZ III and it’s really a great production, the LPs are separated one is a replica of the original LZ III gatefold cover with the rotating art and the die cuts and the same for the CD, it’s a replica of the original, great production!!

Voo do you have a warehouse to store your music collection?  You rock! Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #57 - Jun 11th, 2014 at 8:10am
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Jun 10th, 2014 at 11:40pm:
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Jun 9th, 2014 at 9:06pm:

Voo do you have a warehouse to store your music collection?  You rock! Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

and a bank account to afford it…

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #58 - Jun 24th, 2014 at 2:36pm
Led Zeppelin deluxe reissues spark critical reevaluation of the band's legacy

An early Led Zeppelin publicity photo, with guitarist/mastermind Jimmy Page front and center. He personally remastered the first three Led Zeppelin albums for a new set of reissues.

Keith Spera, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
on June 24, 2014

If you're a music critic younger than age 50, you are too young to have written about the great British rock bands of the 1960s and '70s – the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Beatles, Pink Floyd – in their heyday. You never had the chance to expound at length on the merits and meaning of a new album from these acts, when their new albums actually mattered.

Deluxe reissues, happily, afford writers an opportunity to re-assess the greats and riff on not just the original material, but the legacy of the band in question.

Case in point: Atlantic Records' brand new reissues of the first three Led Zeppelin albums. Zeppelin guitarist and mastermind Jimmy Page personally remastered the original albums; he also combed through the tape vaults to discover much of the previously unreleased material on the bonus discs included with deluxe reissues of "Led Zeppelin," "Led Zeppelin II" and "Led Zeppelin III." (Singer Robert Plant, perhaps not surprisingly given his commitment to making new music with new bands -- his new album, "lullaby and...The Ceaseless Roar" is coming out Sept. 9 -- was apparently less interested in trolling through the band's past. Not that he's above trotting out the old songs, as his set at the 2014 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival demonstrated.)

That bonus material includes alternate takes and rough mixes of anthems that, in their finished form, are now part of rock's DNA. The expanded "Led Zeppelin" also contains a live recording of the band in Paris in 1969 that, up to this point, had been available only as a bootleg. All three reissues recently debuted in the Top 10 of Billboard's album chart -- 34 years after drummer John Bonham's death signaled the end of Zeppelin's remarkable 12-year run.

Zeppelin was the sort of band that critics of the day reflexively loved to hate. The reissues have sparked some critical backtracking. In his review of the reissues, Rolling Stone senior writer David Fricke notes that "this magazine is still living down 1969 pans of 'Led Zeppelin' and 'Led Zeppelin II' as brutal blues ham." Fricke's 4.5 out of 5 star review concludes that "the music is now beyond reproach."

The Houston Press rated all of the bonus tracks on the three albums, scoring some as long-lost gems (the previously unreleased instrumental "La La," a rough mix of "Gallows Pole") and some as nothing special (the familiar album version of "Friends" sans vocals).

An epic analysis by Jack Hamilton, Slate's pop music critic and a University of Virginia assistant professor of media studies and American studies, uses the three new reissues – the rest of the Zeppelin catalog will eventually receive the same treatment – to reconsider not only the original albums, but Led Zeppelin's proper place in the whole of popular music.

His premise is apparent in the headline: "Modern rock didn't start with Dylan or the Beatles. It started with Zeppelin."

That said, Hamilton's essay is by no means the work of a slavish fan-boy. He delivers some barbs. "The only way 'Immigrant Song' could have sounded more like a parody of Led Zeppelin," Hamilton writes, "is if it were seven minutes long as opposed to a mere (blessed) two and a half."

But he goes on to praise the remainder of "Led Zeppelin III" as "an album of real songs, enormous eclecticism, and startling beauty. The album's second side contained the finest collection of unplugged rock music this side of (the Rolling Stones') 'Beggars Banquet.'"

He succinctly runs down landmark moments in the post-mortem extension of the Zeppelin mystique, including the 1985 publication of the decidedly unauthorized biography "Hammer of the Gods." Hamilton correctly describes it as "as seminal a ninth-grade text as 'Of Mine and Men,' despite the band insisting its tales of occult hijinks and hotel debauchery were grossly exaggerated."

The reissues, especially the previously unheard, unfamiliar practice takes of now codified songs like "Ramble On," "Whole Lotta Love" and "Gallows Pole," are the real revelations. These peeks-behind-the-curtain, Hamilton asserts, "give us the opportunity to rediscover this band as they were, four absurdly gifted young people making music together, as opposed to the rock deities they'd forever after be imagined as."

The Slate essay reconsiders Page, Plant, Bonham and bassist John Paul Jones in the present tense. In a lengthy assessment for Pitchfork, Mark Richardson reiterates that that is exactly how Zeppelin should be considered. "I'm very glad these new remasters and the attendant publicity push exist," Richardson says, "to get us all listening to and talking about Led Zeppelin again, where they stand and what they might mean. However you feel about them and their brand of ultra-huge arena rock, there has never been another band like them, before or since."

And, thanks to the reissues, a new generation of writers are able to say so.

http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2014/06/reissues_of_first_three_albums.html#...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #59 - Jun 26th, 2014 at 4:31am
"   .......... But he goes on to praise the remainder of "Led Zeppelin III" as "an album of real songs, enormous eclecticism, and startling beauty. The album's second side contained the finest collection of unplugged rock music this side of (the Rolling Stones') 'Beggars Banquet.'"

Been listening to the " Led Zeppelin III ( " Deluxe "  ) CDR[s]  " in the car the past few days .   Lovely .

" I LOVE YOU ALL !!!!!   "

'kins ™ 

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #60 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 3:40pm
Next releases IV and Houses of the Holly!!!

October 28, 2014... can't wait to the release of Physical Graffiti

« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2014 at 4:20pm by Unholy Trinity »  

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #61 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 3:42pm
Led Zeppelin Announces ‘IV’ and ‘Houses of the Holy’ Box Set Date and Details

by Nick DeRiso July 29, 2014 10:46 AM

Led Zeppelin has released the track listings for the next two projects in its well-received album-by-album reissue campaign, ‘IV’ and ‘Houses of the Holy.’ As with ‘I-III,’ each will again be offered in deluxe editions with a bonus disc of unreleased material as well as a “Super Deluxe” box set edition.

Additional audio for the 23-times platinum ‘IV’ includes alternate mixes of ‘Misty Mountain Hop,’ ‘Four Sticks,’ ‘The Battle Of Evermore,’ ‘Going To California’ and, most notably, ‘Stairway To Heaven.’ The 11-million-selling follow up ‘Houses of the Holy,’ meanwhile, will feature seven unreleased tracks on the companion audio disc — including rough and working mixes for ‘The Ocean’ and ‘Dancing Days,’ a guitar mix backing track for ‘Over The Hills And Far Away’ and a version of ‘The Rain Song’ without piano. Complete track listings for both are below.

‘IV’ and ‘Houses of the Holy,’ due on October 28 via Atlantic/Swan Song, will again be available in a variety of formats. Those choices include single disc (without the bonus audio) and two-disc deluxe editions, as well as single vinyl and two-LP deluxe edition vinyl, digital downloads and a super deluxe box set that includes the remastered album, bonus disc, remastered vinyl, high-def audio download, hard-bound 80-page book and album-cover print.

Jimmy Page again personally oversaw the remastering process, and collected each reissue’s unreleased material. The earlier sets devoted to ‘I-III’ each debuted in the Billboard Top 10 in June.

Complete Track Listing for the New Led Zeppelin Reissues:

Led Zeppelin ‘IV’
1. ‘Black Dog’
2. ‘Rock and Roll’
3. ‘The Battle of Evermore’
4. ‘Stairway to Heaven’
5. ‘Misty Mountain Hop’
6. ‘Four Sticks’
7. ‘Going to California’
8. ‘When the Levee Breaks’

Companion Audio Disc
1. ‘Black Dog’ (basic track with guitar overdubs)
2. ‘Rock and Roll’ (alternate mix)
3. ‘The Battle of Evermore’ (mandolin/guitar mix from Headley Grange)
4. ‘Stairway to Heaven’ (Sunset Sound mix)
5. ‘Misty Mountain Hop’ (alternate mix)
6. ‘Four Sticks’ (alternate mix)
7. ‘Going to California’ (mandolin/guitar mix)
8. ‘When the Levee Breaks’ (alternate UK mix)

‘Houses of the Holy’
1. ‘The Song Remains the Same’
2. ‘The Rain Song’
3. ‘Over The Hills and Far Away’
4. ‘The Crunge’
5. ‘Dancing Days’
6. ‘D’yer Mak’er’
7. ‘No Quarter’
8. ‘The Ocean’
Companion Audio Disc
1. ‘The Song Remains the Same’ (guitar overdub reference mix)
2. ‘The Rain Song’ (mix minus piano)
3. ‘Over The Hills and Far Away’ (guitar mix backing track)
4. ‘The Crunge’ (rough mix; keys up)
5. ‘Dancing Days’ (rough mix with vocal)
6. ‘No Quarter’ (rough mix with John Paul Jones keyboard overdubs; no vocal)
7. ‘The Ocean’ (working mix)

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #62 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 3:47pm
BTW... Rock and Roll was inspired by Stu

“This track came out of a jam with The Stones’ mentor Ian Stewart on Piano. Bonzo played the intro of “Good Golly Miss Molly/Keep a Knokin’”, and Page added a riff. Fifteen minutes later the nucleus of R&R was done on a tape – displaying the full benefits of recording on location with the tapes ever running” From “Led Zeppelin – A Celebration” by Dave Lewis.  The whole album and outtakes were recorded in the Headley Grange Studios with The Rolling Stone Mobile and Stu present.

http://www.rocksoff.org/ian-stuinthestudio.htm

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #63 - Nov 5th, 2014 at 9:25pm
My sweet boxes! Just got Houses of the Holy yesterday

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #64 - Nov 6th, 2014 at 9:26am
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Nov 5th, 2014 at 9:25pm:

bastardo!!!
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2014 at 9:27am by mojoman »  

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #65 - Nov 7th, 2014 at 9:35pm
mojoman wrote on Nov 6th, 2014 at 9:26am:
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Nov 5th, 2014 at 9:25pm:

bastardo!!!

They look nice. How do they sound?

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #66 - Jan 8th, 2015 at 9:56pm
Next one is the best... the Exile of Led Zeppelin

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #67 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 11:46am
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Jan 8th, 2015 at 9:56pm:

damn straight brother!!

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #68 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 12:29pm
Only took 16months since original post!!

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #69 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 3:24pm
I love Led Zepplin. 

Pagey's playing cannot be described with mere words. 

In my view, Pagey is underrated as a guitarist. I've seen Page and Plant, and the Black Crowes with Jimmy Page.  The term "Guitar-God" is a short-changer.

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #70 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 5:32pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Jan 8th, 2015 at 9:56pm:

Happy 71st Pagey!  You rock! Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #71 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 6:43pm
happy birthday mr page!!
hoping to see you on tour this century!!

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #72 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 7:15pm
I can't wait for Physical Graffiti and Presence.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #73 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 7:38pm
i cant wait for CODA

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #74 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 8:19pm
One of the coolest thing here is the Sunset sound mix of Boogie With Stu

With our own Stu... by coincidence today's header

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)