Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The "All Hendrix" thread (Read 21,006 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
The "All Hendrix" thread
Jul 10th, 2013 at 9:41pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
46 YEARS AGO: JIMI HENDRIX JOINS MONKEES TOUR
by Dave Swanson July 8, 2013

What do you get when you cross a psychedelic guitar genius with one of the world’s bestselling pop bands? A frustrated guitarist, a disappointed band and a bewildered and confused audience.

As unlikely as the match-up sounds, the Jimi Hendrix Experience joined the Monkees during the summer of 1967 for a short run of concerts. The rising guitarist joined the tour on its first date in Jacksonville, Fla., on July 8, and stuck it out for six more shows, exiting after a run of three concerts at the Forest Hills Tennis Stadium in New York City on July 14, 15 and 16.

Both Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork had attended the Monterey International Pop Festival in June and saw Hendrix’s groundbreaking performance. Like everyone else, they were knocked out. “Micky said, ‘We gotta get this guy,’” recalled Tork in the documentary ‘The Monkees Story.’ “Micky was just enthusiastic about his music.”

“You can’t imagine what it must have been like for an act like Jimi Hendrix opening for the Monkees,” Dolenz wrote in his autobiography ‘I’m a Believer.’ “It was evident from the start that we were witness to a rare and phenomenal talent. I would stand in the wings and watch and listen in awe.”

Tales from the tour reveal that everyone involved got along great. “He was such a sweet guy,” said Tork. “It was really just a pleasure to have him around for company.” But the group’s young audiences, as well as their parents who often accompanied them at shows, didn’t feel the same way.

“[The parents] were probably not too crazy about having to sit through a Monkees concert,” said Dolenz, “much lees see this black guy in a psychedelic Day-Glo blouse, playing music from hell, holding his guitar like he was f—ing it, then lighting it on fire … Jimi would amble out onto the stage, fire up the amps and break into ‘Purple Haze,’ and the kids in the audience would instantly drown him out with, ‘We Want Davy!!’ God, it was embarrassing.”

Tork said that “it didn’t cross anybody’s mind that it wasn’t gonna fly.” But rumors began to surface that Hendrix was asked to leave the tour after the Daughters of the American Revolution complained about his “lewd and indecent” conduct during performances.

Legend has it that Hendrix flipped off the audience as he left the stage on that final date. Either way, Hendrix decided enough was enough, and asked to be released from his contract. “I was sorry to see him go,” wrote Dolenz. “We did have some great times, running around the New York City psychedelic scene like kids in a candy store, tripping at the Electric Circus and jamming until all hours of the night in the hotel room.”

Shortly after Hendrix left the tour, both ‘Purple Haze’ and ‘Are You Experienced?’ started to climb the charts, revolutionizing modern music in the process. And in certain parts of the world, the Monkees were viewed with just as much respect. While they were considered mostly a disposable pop band in the U.S., in the U.K. the Monkees were seen in a different, more kaleidoscopic light. A Melody Maker critic wrote about the band’s tour of England in 1967: ”I suddenly realized the Monkees were actually freaking out properly and much better than many of the much vaunted psychedelic groups.”

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/jimi-hendrix-joins-monkees-tour/
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2018 at 4:31pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Re: 46 Years Ago (Hendrix content)
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 10:43pm
Waka Jawaka Oh no! not you again Blank Frigging Stare Shit!

This is something I can't believe since this happened 46 years ago, one of the best rock musicians ever with one of the worst pop acts ever

Well--- here's Jimi with the clowns

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2013 at 1:50am
Quote:
This is something I can't believe since this happened 46 years ago, one of the best rock musicians ever with one of the worst pop acts ever

Well Voodooo I must disagree on a couple of points.

First :"one of the best rock musicians ever " - for me Jimi was much more than that - he was the most important (if not influential) musician of the 20th Century whatever the genre. the only rock musician that deserves the epithet "genius".

Second , "one of the worst pop acts ever". As far as pop bands go they weren't too bad (imho) see Last Train to Clarkesville, I'm a Believer, Daydream Believer, Listen to the Band and You Just Maybe be the One. Also their tripped out movie "Head" (with jack nicholson) was pretty hip/out there (although it did border on the incomprehensible) for a manufactured pop group.

Following on I think Mike Nesmith with the First National Band had some excellent stuff. see Joanne and Different Drum.

There's a lot more pop groups worse than the Monkees even amongst the "manufactured" ones like The Archies (not even real people) and let's not forget The Partridge Family - although as a "manager" Rueben Kincaid was hilarious. 
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2013 at 10:01pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2013 at 10:02pm

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2013 at 12:00am
Ha!! Let's go get drunk

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2013 at 9:09pm
Hendrix was largely unknown in the U.S. until Monterrey Pop, so I guess it figures that he'd have to be an opener on his first tour of the States. It happened to the Who in the same year. They opened for Herman's Hermits!

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2013 at 10:40pm
I am drunk.

Therefore I say that the Monkees were awesome when they were good, tiresome when they bad and awful very few of the times. They were a marketed band: try to picture a marketed band as that, today; impossible. I love them Monkees.

C'mon. Not everybody in this life has to be like Hendrix.

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 8:01am
Honky Tonk Man wrote on Aug 22nd, 2013 at 9:09pm:
Hendrix was largely unknown in the U.S. until Monterrey Pop, so I guess it figures that he'd have to be an opener on his first tour of the States. It happened to the Who in the same year. They opened for Herman's Hermits!

You're absolutely right HTM, I was around back then & I remember it quite well.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #8 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 12:38pm
stonedinaustralia wrote on Jul 11th, 2013 at 1:50am:
Quote:

Well Voodooo I must disagree on a couple of points.

First :"one of the best rock musicians ever " - for me Jimi was much more than that - he was the most important (if not influential) musician of the 20th Century whatever the genre. the only rock musician that deserves the epithet "genius".

Second , "one of the worst pop acts ever". As far as pop bands go they weren't too bad (imho) see Last Train to Clarkesville, I'm a Believer, Daydream Believer, Listen to the Band and You Just Maybe be the One. Also their tripped out movie "Head" (with jack nicholson) was pretty hip/out there (although it did border on the incomprehensible) for a manufactured pop group.

Following on I think Mike Nesmith with the First National Band had some excellent stuff. see Joanne and Different Drum.

There's a lot more pop groups worse than the Monkees even amongst the "manufactured" ones like The Archies (not even real people) and let's not forget The Partridge Family - although as a "manager" Rueben Kincaid was hilarious. 

Thank you for your response I totally agree, and do not have anything to add, except
this was the weirdIEST combination of acts i think i have ever heard of!
Love you Voo!
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2013 at 12:40pm by Kilroy »  

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #9 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 1:43pm
On an early U.K. Package Tour, Hendrix shared the bill with Cat Stevens and Engelbert Humperdinck. The headliners were the, err, Walker Brothers.

On a latter U.K. Package Tour towards the end of 1967, he'd progressed to sharing the bill with The Move and Pink Floyd. Slightly more credible, I guess!

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #10 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 8:09pm

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #11 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 8:35pm
What a great thread.

Sorry I had nothing more to contribute than that.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #12 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 10:06pm
Honky Tonk Man wrote on Aug 23rd, 2013 at 1:43pm:
On a latter U.K. Package Tour towards the end of 1967, he'd progressed to sharing the bill with The Move and Pink Floyd. Slightly more credible, I guess!

WOW, The Move, the early Pink Floyd and Jimi on the same bill!!!!

Pure "sike-ay-delia" you B&B

wanna go bak in time and space to be there

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #13 - Aug 23rd, 2013 at 10:16pm
I have an original (big and in museum quality) picture from this session in my studio... the first guy is Carl Wayne from "The Move" all others are well known (Steve Winwood, Jimi Hendrix, John Mayall and Eric Burdon)

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #14 - Aug 24th, 2013 at 2:05pm
Quote:

Pure "sike-ay-delia" you B&B

wanna go bak in time and space to be there

Yes, very cool indeed. This tour included a stop in my hometown, too. On December 1 1967, The Jimi Hendrix Experience performed at the Central Theatre in Chatham, Kent. Setlist :-

- Sgt.Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
- Hey Joe
- Purple haze
- Wild Thing

Being such a short set, one can tel he was part of a package!

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2013 at 12:07am by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

IP Logged

philgood
Rocks Off Regular

Cologne Area, Germany
Reply #15 - Aug 25th, 2013 at 4:08am
Honky Tonk Man wrote on Aug 24th, 2013 at 2:05pm:
[quote]

... This tour included a stop in my hometown, too. On December 1 1967, The Jimi Hendrix Experience performed at the Central Theatre in Chatham, Kent.

Going a bit OT Honky Tonk Man.
You are from Chatham, Kent?
Tony Zemaitis, who built many guitars for Ronnie as well as for many other great Rockstars lived in Chatham, Kent.
His house, called "The Myrtles" was in Walderslade Road.
Don't know if his widow and son are still living there.
Did you know him?

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #16 - Aug 25th, 2013 at 8:47am
philgood wrote on Aug 25th, 2013 at 4:08am:
Honky Tonk Man wrote on Aug 24th, 2013 at 2:05pm:
[quote]

... This tour included a stop in my hometown, too. On December 1 1967, The Jimi Hendrix Experience performed at the Central Theatre in Chatham, Kent.

Going a bit OT Honky Tonk Man.
You are from Chatham, Kent?
Tony Zemaitis, who built many guitars for Ronnie as well as for many other great Rockstars lived in Chatham, Kent.
His house, called "The Myrtles" was in Walderslade Road.
Don't know if his widow and son are still living there.
Did you know him?

I was born in Chatham, Kent, but raised in a neighbouring town called Gillingham. I think Stewed n Keefed - a friend and Gillingham neighbour - may have mentioned the Zemaitis connection with the area, actually. I didn't know the gentleman, but I certainly do know where Walderslade Road is!

IP Logged

philgood
Rocks Off Regular

Cologne Area, Germany
Reply #17 - Aug 25th, 2013 at 8:59am
Thanks for your reply, Honky Tonk Man.
Have a nice Sunday.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Re: (Hendrix content)
Reply #18 - Sep 9th, 2013 at 8:58pm

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #19 - Oct 12th, 2013 at 6:36pm
With Linda Keith talking and the footage from MSG 69 with Keith Richards

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Re: 46 Years Ago (Hendrix content) - The "All Hendrix" thread
Reply #20 - Oct 12th, 2013 at 10:07pm

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #21 - Oct 13th, 2013 at 3:37am
I never cared about Hendrix. So he could play the guitar with his teeth. So what? Noise is most of what I hear. God bless him. I'd rather hear some boring fart like Mile Davis, and I'm no jazz aficionado. Cross that. I'd rather listen to a Brian Eno ambient album and at least not having to worry about anything at all. I admire Hendrix; but his music bores me for the most part.

I like "Angel," though.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #22 - Oct 14th, 2013 at 2:38pm
nice little shout out from Jeff Beck last night doing LITTLE WING......developing

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #23 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 7:36pm
47 YEARS AGO: JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE MAKES THEIR LIVE DEBUT
by Dave Swanson October 15, 2013

Express Hulton Archive, Getty Images

The Jimi Hendrix Experience made their live debut 47 years ago this week with four dates in France.

Upon his arrival in England, the guitarist’s manager, former Animals bassist Chas Chandler, introduced Hendrix to drummer Mitch Mitchell and bassist Noel Redding, the duo who would become the Experience. After only a week of rehearsals, Chandler put the band on the road supporting French singer Johnny Hallyday.

The opening date was at the Novelty in Evreux, France on October 13, 1966 and the trek wound up on the 18th at the Olympia Theater in Paris. Also on the bill were Long Chris, The Blackbirds and for the final date, the Brian Auger Trinity. Less than a week later, the Experience would make their debut in the UK.

Their opening night set was short, but sweet, and included ‘In The Midnight Hour,’ ‘Have Mercy,’ ‘Land of a Thousand Dances,’ and ‘Hey Joe.’ In his autobiography, ‘Inside The Experience,’ Mitchell recalled the changes that took over Hendrix once he got onstage: “It was on this first gig that we saw the whole other person, completely different from anything I’d seen before” he said. “I knew he played really tasty guitar, but I didn’t know about the showmanship that went with it. It was like, Whoosh! This man is really out-front!”

Hear Jimi Hendrix Perform in Paris, October 1966:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/jimi-hendrix-experience-live-debut/

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #24 - Dec 4th, 2013 at 10:11am
The last photo ?

This photo of Jimi Hendrix was taken the day before his death on September 17, 1970.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)