Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Happy Birthday JAMES BROWN!! (Read 1,200 times)
FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Right here in the USA
Happy Birthday JAMES BROWN!!
May 3rd, 2013 at 11:00am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
So now ladies and gentlemen it is star time, are you ready for star time? Thank you and thank you very
kindly. It is indeed a great pleasure to present to you at this particular time, national and international known
as the hardest working man in show business, the man that sings "I'll Go Crazy" ... "Try Me" ... "You've Got
the Power" ... "Think" ... "If You Want Me" ... "I Don't Mind" ... "Bewildered" ...the million dollar seller, "Lost
Someone" ... the very latest release, "Night Train" ... let's everybody "Shout and Shimmy" ... Happy Birthday
to Mr. Dynamite, the amazing Mr. Please Please himself, the star of the show, the immortal James Brown!!

I don't think it's any exaggeration to say
that Mick Jagger would be a very different
performer if he had never seen James Brown.

http://youtu.be/oLmZRyUbgFI

James Brown arrived at the Civic Center and was promptly informed of what the Stones already knew. “I remember James coming up and saying ‘Of course I’m the last act on the bill, right?’ ” says Steve Binder, director of the T. A. M. I. Show. “I told him, ‘No, actually you’re going to be followed by the Rolling Stones.’ James looked at me and smiled and said, ‘Nobody follows James Brown.’ ”

“The Rolling Stones from Liverpool are gonna be there— the fab-looking guys with the moppy long hair,” went the lyrics to the “T.A.M.I. Show Theme,” sung by hosts Jan and Dean. If nothing else, this underscores just how difficult it was to delineate yourself from the Beatles in ’64. Every band with a British accent might as well have been from Liverpool.

The Beach Boys, one of the biggest acts on the bill, delivered their standard set, highlighted by their new single, “I Get Around.” Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas followed, then the Supremes, and finally the Barbarians, a negligible but fun garage-rock blues band (who would have their only major hit with a British Invasion novelty track, “Are You a Boy or Are You a Girl,” which would appear on the monumental Nuggets compilation). Shortly after that . . . history.

“Ladies and gentleman, James Brown,” Dean announced. Backstage the five Rolling Stones, weary from endless touring and miles from home, looked like criminals about to face a firing squad. They exchanged a few wordless glances, a second language at this point, then decided to boldly face it, to walk as a group to the wings and face their fate.

“We did a bunch of songs, nonstop, like always. . . “ Brown writes in his memoir, James Brown, The Godfather of Soul. I don’t think I never danced so hard in my life, and I don’t think they’d ever seen a man move that fast.” Brown knew the Stones were watching from the wings. Everyone was watching; all eyes were on him. Sliding in his patent leather shoes, putting his pinkie-ringed hand on his hip, he dropped to his knees in his checked jacket and vest, then jerked up again like a piston.

But he wasn’t finished. He got up and did his “good foot” dance back to the mic, then dramatically collapsed to the floor again, a signal for his band to pick him up and try to help him offstage. It was all a ruse, of course. Defiantly, he ran back to the mic, milking the crowd, which screamed even louder. The band picked him up again. And again he ran back to the mic. “When I was through, the audience kept calling me back for encores. It was one of those performances when you don’t even know how you’re doing it,” Brown writes.

A mere fifteen feet away, Mick Jagger was as covered in sweat as Brown was, and he hadn’t even begun to sing. He felt light in his shoes; dizzy. “The Stones [were] standing between all those guards,” Brown remembered. “Every time they got ready to start out on the stage, the audience called us back. They couldn’t get on— it was too hot out there.”

“After James there was just enough time for the technical crew to get a smoke or a breather and to reconfigure the stage with the microphone setup or if they had their own drummer like the Stones did, bring their instruments on, twenty minutes,” Binder says. Twenty minutes . . . to follow that.

Jagger lit a final cigarette and warmed his voice with a little Jack Daniels as the crew prepped the stage for the Stones. The sound of the fans clamoring for the band only made him worry about the challenge ahead: How does one justify following what just happened out there?

Jan and Dean returned to the stage to welcome “those fine fellows from England, the Rolling Stones.” Looking nervous but resigned, the brave young men from South London assumed their headlining position. And they pulled it off. The Rolling Stones did the impossible and made the viewer forget Brown’s epochal spot. They were something so different, ironically derived from the same beat, but after a half dozen TV appearances they were adept at presenting a new breed of energy — and of making a viewer believe that they were watching some sexed-up space invasion. That’s how they matched James Brown. Surprise and sex. The Stones were like nothing anybody had ever seen before: male and female, familiar and strange, coming right at the viewer, leaving them no time to think, only to surrender themselves. Patti Smith, in the pages of Creem magazine (where she was a contributor), recalled the sensation years later:

“The singer was showing his second layer of skin and more than a little milk,” she wrote. “Five white boys sexy as any spade . . . Blind love for my father was the first thing I sacrificed to Mick Jagger . . . masculinity was no longer measured on the football field.” At the time, Smith was a closet rebel teen from Jersey, a good Catholic girl. The T.A.M.I. Show performance presented options.

They started right into “Around and Around” with skinny Mick dressed in a sweater and clapping along to the beat at the mic. He looked much amused at all the sexed-up chaos; soon that old smirk returned to his lips as if to say, “This wasn’t so bad after all.” They played “It’s All Over Now.” Mick, finally having fun, changed a lyric from “She hurt my eyes open” to “She hurt my nose open.” He repeatedly jumped into the air as if trying to use the stand as a pole-vaulting stick. He danced a bit more than usual; you can see him experimenting with his own body. Here, perhaps, the Mick Jagger of ’69 was truly born — out of necessity and, in a way, an innate sense of morality. He kept up with James Brown by becoming . . . James Brown. It wasn’t perfect. “Mick cloned himself into James — with all the dancing and jumping,” Binder agrees. For the finale, the Stones launched into “It’s Alright,” an under-rehearsed Bo Diddley beat, with Mick shaking a pair of maracas as the rest of the cast of the T.A.M.I. Show and the dancers joined them onstage for a singalong, everyone together, black, white, young, slightly less young, a symbol for the times. James Brown was again conspicuously absent, but later in his memoir, the Godfather of Soul would be magnanimous, offering words of brotherhood to the Stones and confessing that when he saw them, he “saw the future.”

http://youtu.be/AkAwdDWLi1E

A film based on the life of soul legend James Brown is in the works, with Mick Jagger on board as co-producer.

Jagger’s production partner on the project, Brian Grazer, recently told Rolling Stone he’s had the rights to the project for 12 years.

Grazer’s previous production credits include Apollo 13 and A Beautiful Mind. “I like to make movies about mastery and genius,” he said, “and it's hard to find great subjects. James Brown is a visually dynamic subject.”

Grazer went on to say no decision has been made regarding who will play Brown. “We're going to have to test lots of actors and be determined to pick the right one,” he explained.

The producer also expressed admiration and gratitude towards Jagger. “…Mick is so amazing,” he said. “For him to decide he's going to participate and split half the money – he's a man of integrity, and I feel pretty good about that.”

« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2013 at 11:03am by FPM »  

...&&&&
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Happy Birthday JAMES BROWN!!
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2013 at 11:14am

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2013 at 2:58pm

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2013 at 3:30pm
funny, I was just watching "Third Rock From The Sun" (T.V. Troplis, equal to the U.S. De Javu) & their in their car listening to the radio & their trying to figure out what This James Brown Sex Machine is all about, maybe we should talk to him? Happy Birthday Mr. Brown, how old would he be?

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

nankerphelge
Rocks Off Regular

Maybe being bad is more
fun than being good...

Sweet Virginia
Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2013 at 3:54pm
Saw him in the 9:30 club in DC back in 2001 or 2002, I think.

It was amazing.

Happy B'day James.
Papa don't take nooooo mess.

IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Right here in the USA
Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2013 at 4:23pm
James would be 80 today.

I saw him at the Lone Star Cafe in NYC in the mid 80s. Tiny split-level club.  Most of the Mets were upstairs.
(It was the year they won the Series and they were really whooping it up.) I couldn't believe James could fit
his whole band on stage, but he did.  James walked right past me on his way to the stage and I patted him
on the back. I watched the whole show from a few feet away.

I didn't take this photo but it's from the show I saw. Someone upstairs must have taken it. Maybe Keith
Hernandez!   You can see how tiny the stage is.

That was a night to remember. Well, I don't remember ALL of it, but still.

I saw him at the R&R Hall of Fame concert in 1995 too, but that was
in a stadium and I had cheap seats. And he only did two songs.
http://www.setlist.fm/widgets/setlist-image-v1id=53dd5bc1

Still great, but no comparison.

...&&&&
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)