Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Rolling Stone Article. (Read 5,312 times)
LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

New Rolling Stone Article.
Oct 24th, 2012 at 6:55am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Inside the Rolling Stones' Reunion

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards tell all about the band's 50th-anniversary blowout

By Brian Hiatt
October 24, 2012

After half a century of hits, addictions, mayhem and enough bad blood to flood the Thames, the Rolling Stones have gotten it together just in time to celebrate their latest anniversary onstage. But Mick Jagger isn't inclined to get all mushy about the achievement. "I wanted to call the tour 'Fuck Off,'" Jagger says. "But no one went for that."

Adds Keith Richards, "To keep a band together this long, let alone a rock & roll band, is probably unique in musical history. After all, that's what I was born for: to make musical history." What the Stones have announced so far is not quite a tour: They're playing four shows this year, on November 25th and 29th at London's O2 arena, and on December 13th and 15th at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey. But Richards doubts they'll end there. "My experience with the Rolling Stones," he says, "is that once the juggernaut starts rolling, it ain't gonna stop. So without sort of saying definitely yes – yeah. We ain't doing all this for four gigs!"

The Stones expect former guitarist Mick Taylor (who quit in 1974) and founding bassist Bill Wyman (gone since '93) to come on board for the four shows, but only as guests on a few songs. Richards emphasizes that longtime touring bassist Darryl Jones isn't going anywhere. "Darryl doesn't get enough recognition," says Richards. "He and Bill can talk about songs they want to step in and out of." For the final show in Newark (to be broadcast live on pay-per-view), more guests are likely to pop by – Ron Wood drops names like Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck as possibilities. The band shrugs off grumbling about the $800-plus it's charging for the best tickets. "As Keith said, 'Sounds about right,'" says Wood. "I'd pay it! We already spent, like, a million on rehearsing, and we're not even halfway through. And the stage is going to cost millions and millions."

The Stones also have a new career-spanning documentary, Crossfire Hurricane, directed by Brett Morgen, that debuts on HBO on November 15th. In less than two hours, the film races through history from the band's earliest shows at the Marquee Club to the arrival of Wood, keeping a relatively light tone throughout. "I never wanted to make a nostalgic movie," says Jagger. "It's got to be kind of irreverent."

One prerequisite for the Rolling Stones' reunion was an apology from Richards to Jagger for the stream of insults the guitarist included in Life, his bestselling 2011 memoir. "He did apologize, to my face," says Jagger quietly. "So you have to put all that sort of stuff away. Water under the bridge, really. Hopefully, you know, we can carry on working."

Adds Richards, "It was something to get out of the bloody way so we could get the band on the road. You know, I'll say sorry to God if you like. I don't give a shit. I said, 'Look forward, brother, look forward.' If you was married to somebody for 50 years, you can have your little spats here and there, and we don't mind having them in public occasionally. We can't get divorced – we're doing it for the kids!"

"Doom and Gloom," the newly recorded single from the band's latest greatest-hits collection, GRRR!, sounds more or less like classic Stones, albeit with modern production tweaks. But that doesn't mean that Jagger and Richards have revived their songwriting partnership quite yet. The song began as a demo that Jagger made on his own, and even the opening guitar riff turns out to be Jagger playing, not Richards. "I don't give a damn," says Richards. "He'd never have learned how to play that without me teaching him how to do it."

Another factor in the long hiatus since the 2007 finale of the Bigger Bang tour was Wood's struggle with alcohol addiction. He's now in his third year of sobriety, and he expects to keep it up on the road, though previous tours were always a challenge. "Looking back," says Wood, "there was always that secret vodka, like the one before I'd go onstage. Which was never just one, anyway."

Richards is also drinking significantly less. "I don't get ridiculous," he says. "I like a glass of wine with my meal and everything, but I've given up sort of waking up and having a drink, you know? I gave up smack, I can give up anything. No big deal to me, I do it to impress other people. But if they come up with a great new drug, I'll be the first one on it, believe me."

Richards argues that his substance use, or lack thereof, has little effect on his playing, but Wood disagrees. "Keith is a pleasure to play with now," Wood says. "It was a pain on the last tour toward the end, because he was really going for it on the drinking and denial. But now he's realized that he has gotta look after himself." Since Richards isn't completely sober, Wood is inclined to keep an eye on him. "I'm not going to preach to him," he says. "I will step in if I see any danger."

The Stones seem genuinely excited about their recent rehearsals in Paris, which have included rarely played songs such as the Lennon-McCartney-penned "I Wanna Be Your Man" and the Aftermath ballad "Lady Jane." "Going in, one thinks, 'Oh, my Christ, I'm a doddering old man,'" says Richards. "But it's not true! The payoff from the energy that's been wound up over the five years is incredible."

For Jagger, performing with the Stones means living up to a reputation as an ageless physical marvel, which he insists is highly exaggerated. "Everyone's human," he says, "and you can't really expect it to last forever. On the other hand, you try to keep yourself in shape. Obviously you can't do the same things [onstage] you did when you were 19, so you have to do other things. There's no miracles in life." But he knows that fans expect him to somehow be an exception: "It's a bit of a burden, really, isn't it? I better be OK, at least."

If anything, the physical burden is even harder on 71-year-old Charlie Watts, who has a masseuse on hand for his back after every rehearsal. "It takes a heavy toll playing them drums," says Wood, "to make it look like he's doing nothing, and to make it sound like those firecrackers going off. It all goes to his back, you know? He suffers terribly."

The Stones are bracing themselves to be asked yet again if this could be the last time. But even if it was, they'd never tell you. "That's not a card, in my opinion, that should be played," says Jagger, who says he'd like to record another Stones album eventually. "I know lots of people do play that card, but it nearly always backfires on them."

It's not lost on the Rolling Stones that they won't be alone on the road this winter, with so many of their peers – Bob Dylan, the Who and Paul McCartney, to name a few – also playing to huge audiences at this very late date. "What can you say?" Richards says. "It's a hell of a generation."

This story is from the November 8th, 2012 issue of Rolling Stone.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Re: New Rolling Stone Article.
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 7:09am
Thanks LJ.

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 7:11am
You're welcome.

Wonder how Mick feels about many of US renaming the Tour "Fuck Off"???  Ouch!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 7:13am
LadyJane wrote on Oct 24th, 2012 at 7:11am:
You're welcome.

Wonder how Mick feels about many of US renaming the Tour "Fuck Off"???  Ouch!

or Keith's doing it for the kids.

IP Logged

Moonisup
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 7:28am
"The band shrugs off grumbling about the $800-plus it's charging for the best tickets. "As Keith said, 'Sounds about right,'" says Wood. "I'd pay it! We already spent, like, a million on rehearsing, and we're not even halfway through. And the stage is going to cost millions and millions."

What a band,

IP Logged

straycatuk
Rocks Off Regular

Northern England
Reply #5 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 7:31am
Thanks for posting. So Keith was hitting the bottle at the end of the last tour............explains a lot !

Maybe we should offer a bit more money the rehearsals and stage are costing an arm and leg ?  Roll Eyes

sc  uk

outcasts all their lives

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #6 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 7:37am
Rolling Stone should have provided a free pinch of salt for everyone reading that.

Wonder how Mick feels about many of US renaming the Tour "Fuck Off"??? 

I fucking spat my coffee out at that.....  Grin

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

scope
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 7:43am
Great read - what a way to start the day.  Is it December yet?

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #8 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 8:11am
I wonder what Keith's family does to deal with Keith's demons. He seems all too ready to take drugs - but that just might be part of the image. Patti didn't tour with him the last go round from what I understand. I'd really like to know the innter workings in the Richards household.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #9 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 8:26am
so Mick plays the starting of Doom on guitar.....tells me the entire song was Mick's and Keith and Ronnie play some fills. Live we'll see if they can take it to a new level and make it a classic Stones tune. Keith and Ronnie sober and more focused also is good news.....but guys really? we've shelled out a million for Paris so far.....GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Keith's "apology" on paper sounds hollow but who knows what really went down. My hunch is Mick put him through the ringer made him sweat it out........for me the PPV is it......been ripped off enough in my 60 yrs to know not to walk head first into another.
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2012 at 8:28am by gimmekeef »  

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Bingo
Rocks Off Regular

Exiled from IORR

Reply #10 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 8:44am
It's going to be interesting to see what these fckrs charge for the PPV.

The over/under is $45....what do you think? Over or Under?

I think OVER...$49.99

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #11 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 8:48am
" I think OVER... "

Concur  !

$ 59.99 + Taxes / Fees

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #12 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 9:00am
This years Wrestlemania by McMahon was $69.99 for the HD version......thats the price we'll pay folks......That event got 1.1 million buys...Stones?....maybe 250,000?

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

scope
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #13 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 9:47am
Bingo wrote on Oct 24th, 2012 at 8:44am:

I think OVER...$49.99

$50 for 50 years

IP Logged

Patrick
Rocks Off Regular

Northern Ireland
Reply #14 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 10:21am
As Keith said, 'Sounds about right,'" says Wood. "I'd pay it! We already spent, like, a million on rehearsing, and we're not even halfway through. And the stage is going to cost millions and millions."

Hasn't this been the case for years? (minus the extortionate ticket prices)

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #15 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 10:49am
Doing It to Fuck The Kids Tour!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeCmwcuhC4E

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #16 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 10:54am
Keith used to refer to the songs as their children. I think that's what he was talking about.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #17 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 11:04am
gimmekeef wrote on Oct 24th, 2012 at 8:26am:
so Mick plays the starting of Doom on guitar.....

I was thinking it sounded like Faces-era Ronnie myself.  Ouch!

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #18 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 11:07am
Thanks for the article. Much better interviews than the one Jagger did with Uncut.

What a knob Keith is and I hope people will stop with pure heart and soul of music crap that's attributed to him. He's also a twat for that book. I know we've been through it a thousand times but it reveals that his whole thing in the 80s about keeping the Stones together was a load of total crap. He put that awful stuff about Mick in there because he wanted to sell tons of copies and he was probably advised by his publisher or manager to put it in.

I did find it interesting though that Ronnie's alcohol problems played a role in the long break. I don't know how true that is but I just never thought that it would stop anything. I suspect they say alcohol but the problems were probably far more severe with some nasty drugs.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #19 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 11:35am
The Wick wrote on Oct 24th, 2012 at 11:07am:
Thanks for the article. Much better interviews than the one Jagger did with Uncut.

What a knob Keith is and I hope people will stop with pure heart and soul of music crap that's attributed to him. He's also a twat for that book. I know we've been through it a thousand times but it reveals that his whole thing in the 80s about keeping the Stones together was a load of total crap. He put that awful stuff about Mick in there because he wanted to sell tons of copies and he was probably advised by his publisher or manager to put it in.

I did find it interesting though that Ronnie's alcohol problems played a role in the long break. I don't know how true that is but I just never thought that it would stop anything. I suspect they say alcohol but the problems were probably far more severe with some nasty drugs.

It unquestionably was his alcohol problem. There was talk in 2009 of the band going on the road maybe later that year or in 2010 but that was around the time Ronnie had left Jo for a teenager and it seemed that he had spiralled on to a one way ticket to the morgue.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #20 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 11:38am
800...sounds about right...

Looks about right
=============================================================
...says Wood. "I'd pay it! We already spent, like, a million on rehearsing, and we're not even halfway through. And the stage is going to cost millions and millions." ...

It isn't so much as money spent as it is money INVESTED...to the guaranteed tune of 25 million pound payout

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #21 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 11:42am
Bingo wrote on Oct 24th, 2012 at 8:44am:

I think OVER...$49.99

$44.95, I believe.

Amazed at what they charge in the US for Pay Per View events. They rarely do it here, and usually its for boxing, but even then the going rate on Sky Box Office is around £15 ($24) and has been around that for years.

... ... ...
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #22 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 11:58am
How about not spending millions on the stage and saving the fans a few bucks. Since when does rehearsing cost a million dollars

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #23 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 1:10pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Oct 24th, 2012 at 11:58am:
How about not spending millions on the stage and saving the fans a few bucks. Since when does rehearsing cost a million dollars

Yeah, I'm wondering about that! a million to rehearse????? Ronnie said he'd pay to go, well, if I had his money, I would too!
The stage is going cost millions & millions? what are they going do, a big theatrical show.
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2012 at 1:14pm by Heart Of Stone »  

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

AngieBlue
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #24 - Oct 24th, 2012 at 1:40pm
Patti mentioned in an article that she spent quite a long time tending to her sister that was terminally ill during the time of the last tour and then she had her own illness to deal with.  I think that was in People magazine; but I know it was from around the time she launched her handbag line.  Keith heavily drinking during the last tour doesn't surprise me especially after the head injury.  He went back on the road way too soon after such a trauma.  I'm sure it was part self medication and part denial of what damn near happened to him.

At least they are owing up to what has kept them off the road for so long.  Other than the 80's Mick/Keith battle have they done that before? 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)