Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
In memory of Tom Layhue (TomL, Sai Wong, Willie Dixon)
With Jini telling the truth to the world © Don't remember!

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
CROSSFIRE HURRICANE : A NEW ROLLING STONES FILM (Read 31,314 times)
Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Re: CROSSFIRE HURRICANE : A NEW ROLLING STONES FIL
Reply #125 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 7:54am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Hey everyone. I'm back! Here's my story of the event.

For many, many years I have been a fanatical fan of the Rolling Stones. They have been the one constant in my life from a young boy until present day. I cannot stress this enough - it's more than just music - and it always will be. Through all the good times and bad times, fun times and not so fun times, I can rely on the Rolling Stones to carry me through it. And going to see them in concert is more than just a concert experience. It's my electric church to paraphrase Hendrix.  I suspect some of my fellow fans can relate to my feelings. 

I showed up around 530-ish. The press, some 12 or 13 year old female fans and onlookers littered the sidewalks. The girls were on cell phones trying to figure out what hotel the Stones are in.That was funny. It's 2012 and 50 years in, young chicks are still trying to get into hotel rooms.  A bunch of suit and tie types were at the end of the red carpet – which just so happened to be the front door of the theater. I recognized one of the HBO execs but no one from the Stones camp.

The atmosphere was that of a concert. People were all but running you over to get their ticket from a booth behind the red carpet. With ticket in hand I ask an usher where to go. At this point I'm just on the other side of the end of the red carpet – fans were already glommed around the opening near the front door. He points me to a side door.

I go upstairs to the reception room, off to the side of the escalator, and wait. It’s packed. I decide I can't hang with this packed nonsense - I'm stepping back out to the escalator area. And then someone comes up the escalator.

Short guy, long hair, velvet clothes and light on his feet. He’s looking around for where to go and he’s right in front of me. Close enough to be in my space. He is waiting for someone on the steps, and meanwhile he’s right in front of me! It’s Mick Jagger! I wanted to faint like those girls on Ed Sullivan. Up next comes L’Wren Scott. They walk past me to another room. Mick Jagger walking is unreal. It's like he floats quickly with a head of thick, dark touring hair. I resisted the urge to touch his cool looking velvet jacket.

Up next comes Charlie Watts - the most daper man in any room anywhere in the world. He’s right in front of me just like Mick was. He then makes a beeline to someone in the reception room. They hug/kiss etc. and meanwhile the room is packed with fans and nobody knows Charlie is in the room, just like they didn’t know Mick was just on the other side of the door.

I take a look down the steps and see Keith’s head of security. Here we go. Up the steps comes Keith Richards. Keith is now right in front of my face. I’m smiling.  And he’s smiling too. Here I am face to face with my hero. How often does that happen? He looked FANTASTIC. They all did. He also sounds nothing like he does in interview. He speaks clean and clear, is personable and a real joy to be around.

Face to face with my Gods.  Un-fucking-real. I'm still trying to put my brain around that evening. It wasn't like it was in the flash of an eye either - everything went into slow motion and I was able to enjoy every moment.

Long Live The Rolling Stones!!!

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #126 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 7:59am
OMG!!! I am THRILLED for you SW. THRILLED.
Did you speak to any of them??!!

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #127 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 8:06am
THANK YOU!

I didn't want to bother them so I kept my mouth shut.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #128 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 8:08am
Best Steel Wheels Ever!

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #129 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 8:17am
Thanks! 

And Make No Mistake - Stones are going to be out of this world on stage. The future is bright for these lads. They are united and focused and on top of their game. Keith looked like he was ready to take the stage and riff the night away. Sobriety. That's all I can say.

IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Right here in the USA
Reply #130 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 12:28pm
LA Times Review: Rolling Stones myth, fact swirl in 'Crossfire Hurricane'

'Crossfire Hurricane' on HBO has the Rolling Stones telling their own story in an energetic, streamlined form.

By Robert Lloyd, Los Angeles Times Television Critic

November 14, 2012, 2:35 p.m.

If you needed another reminder of the implacability of time, the Rolling Stones are currently celebrating 50 years in show business — a fact that might blow the minds of people old enough to use the phrase "blow my mind" and at the same time mean less than nothing to people young enough to regard 50 years as an imponderable abstraction.

As part of the band's several-pronged multimedia anniversary — a two-year party, dating either from the initial 1962 confluence of blues fans Brian Jones, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards or to the January 1963 addition of last original Stone Charlie Watts — HBO will premiere Thursday a new documentary, "Crossfire Hurricane." The title, taken from the song "Jumpin' Jack Flash," reflects the film's temperament: It pictures their life together as a swirling maelstrom that sucks them up out of the London clubs in the early '60s and spits them out, a decade and a half later, as the stadium attraction they remain to this day, when they feel like it.

Director Brett Morgen (co-director, with Nanette Burstein, of the visually fanciful 2002 Robert Evans documentary "The Kid Stays in the Picture") begins with a series of voice-overs from his panel of somewhat contradictory narrators, as if to say, This cannot be definitive: "It's almost a fairy story, you know," says Keith. Charlie "can't remember much of it, to be honest" and Mick can remember some of it but says that it's all written down somewhere, and Bill Wyman, the last man to quit the Rolling Stones, quotes the old adage that one shouldn't "let the truth spoil a good story."

Like the Evans film, which was a kind of illustrated memoir, "Crossfire Hurricane" relies almost exclusively on the voices of its subjects. (This is an authorized biography.) Given that there are seven of them, however, including former members Wyman and Mick Taylor and the late Jones, heard in archival clips, there is a certain amount of self-correction and myth-busting.

The principals, who sat for a reported 80 hours of interviews, are heard but not, in their present forms, seen, avoiding the cognitive dissonance that results from the World's Greatest Rock & Roll Band also being perhaps its oldest. (Mick turns 70 next year; Charlie is 71, Wyman 76.)

It is, for all its two and a half hours, a streamlined retelling, organized more around energy and atmosphere than facts and figures. (As have chroniclers before him, Morgen discerns in the Stones' clubhouse and career a dialogue between truth and fiction, playacting and authenticity, as embodied most obviously, though not categorically, in "Glimmer Twins" Mick and Keith, the theatrical superego and the dedicated id.)

Some major events zip by in dependent clauses; some important supporting players, like pianist-turned-road manager Ian Stewart, might as well never have been born. The band's private lives, except as regards the unavoidable matter of drug use, do not come into it at all. But the essential essentials are essentially here.

My quibbles with it as a film are minor. It feels a little visually overstuffed here and there and inevitably loses a little steam toward the end. But viewers without much prior knowledge of the band may well be intrigued; fans with too much knowledge may whine a little over what was left out, but should be pleased by what has made it in, and what they haven't seen or heard. There is a healthy amount of little-to-unseen footage, some alternate takes of famous songs, and at least one late-date revelation.

From reupholsterers of American blues and R&B, to louche chroniclers of Swinging London, to revolutionists for the hell of it, to jet-set tax exiles, and finally to beloved old grandpas of rock — the irony of their evolution is not lost on them, that a band so perfectly expressive of its times now exists out of time, as perpetual purveyors of what might be called The Rolling Stones Experience.

But the music, at least, has remained unruly. They may be an institution, but they remain just crummy enough to keep from ever seeming slick.

"You can't be young forever," are the last words Mick speaks in the film, and are followed immediately by footage from the 2005 Beacon Theatre concerts Martin Scorsese shot for his "Shine a Light," as if to say: Not forever, no, but 50 years, just maybe.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-crossfire-hurricane...

...&&&&
IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #131 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 12:40pm
Hey Wheels thats awesome!!! Good for you

But in these situations you always need to ask yourself: "What Would Joey Do?"

Thats right!! YOU SHOULD OF TOUCHED THE JACKET

rain-man.jpg (33 KB | )
rain-man.jpg

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #132 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 12:41pm
Interview from this morning's Today show:

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/49836837#49836837

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #133 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 12:53pm
LadyJane wrote on Nov 15th, 2012 at 12:41pm:

Thanks for posting, LJ, but can't these guys just walk into a broadcast studio and do a live interview ?

What, is Mick scared that Keith or Ronnie might say something embarrassing ?  Oh no! not you again

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

uncleson
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Reply #134 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 2:53pm
Thanks SW, FPM and LJ.

IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Right here in the USA
Reply #135 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 3:09pm

I saw that this morning before I left for work...made me giddy! I love those guys!!!!

...&&&&
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #136 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 4:41pm
Great story, young Wheels. Delighted for you.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #137 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 5:03pm
FPM wrote on Nov 15th, 2012 at 3:09pm:

I saw that this morning before I left for work...made me giddy! I love those guys!!!!

Great stuff with some excellent one-liners.

Funny that Mick forgets that Ronnie has not only been arrested, but that he and Jo actually spent five days in jail (in St Martin in the Caribbean) in early 1980 when they got busted for cocaine.  So, even Ronnie's WIFE has spent more time in jail than Mick and Keith combined!

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #138 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 5:12pm
Gazza wrote on Nov 15th, 2012 at 5:03pm:

Great stuff with some excellent one-liners.

Funny that Mick forgets that Ronnie has not only been arrested, but that he and Jo actually spent five days in jail (in St Martin in the Caribbean) in early 1980 when they got busted for cocaine.  So, even Ronnie's WIFE has spent more time in jail than Mick and Keith combined!

Mick remembers everything.  Smiley

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #139 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 7:15pm
who says were making it out of wood... perfect pun, for a joke that might have gone astray!!! nice save keef!

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #140 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 8:26pm

Yep. I know EXACTLY howe you felt Mr Monkey. We are all just geeky Stones mutants!!!  Perverted Mick  Ouch!  Are you fucking serious?

Still thinking about my friend Steel Wheels and his experience at the premiere. Standing at the top of an escalator JUST as the Stones arrive and ascend for the film. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

The TINGLE is definitely in the air!  Who stole this one? (Seriously)  really?

IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #141 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 8:42pm
I'm enjoying "Crossfire Hurricane" on HBO now.
Love these guys.

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #142 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 8:42pm
Steel Wheels wrote on Nov 15th, 2012 at 7:54am:

For many, many years I have been a fanatical fan of the Rolling Stones. They have been the one constant in my life from a young boy until present day. I cannot stress this enough - it's more than just music - and it always will be. Through all the good times and bad times, fun times and not so fun times, I can rely on the Rolling Stones to carry me through it. And going to see them in concert is more than just a concert experience. It's my electric church to paraphrase Hendrix.  I suspect some of my fellow fans can relate to my feelings.  

I showed up around 530-ish. The press, some 12 or 13 year old female fans and onlookers littered the sidewalks. The girls were on cell phones trying to figure out what hotel the Stones are in.That was funny. It's 2012 and 50 years in, young chicks are still trying to get into hotel rooms.  A bunch of suit and tie types were at the end of the red carpet – which just so happened to be the front door of the theater. I recognized one of the HBO execs but no one from the Stones camp.

The atmosphere was that of a concert. People were all but running you over to get their ticket from a booth behind the red carpet. With ticket in hand I ask an usher where to go. At this point I'm just on the other side of the end of the red carpet – fans were already glommed around the opening near the front door. He points me to a side door.

I go upstairs to the reception room, off to the side of the escalator, and wait. It’s packed. I decide I can't hang with this packed nonsense - I'm stepping back out to the escalator area. And then someone comes up the escalator.

Short guy, long hair, velvet clothes and light on his feet. He’s looking around for where to go and he’s right in front of me. Close enough to be in my space. He is waiting for someone on the steps, and meanwhile he’s right in front of me! It’s Mick Jagger! I wanted to faint like those girls on Ed Sullivan. Up next comes L’Wren Scott. They walk past me to another room. Mick Jagger walking is unreal. It's like he floats quickly with a head of thick, dark touring hair. I resisted the urge to touch his cool looking velvet jacket.

Up next comes Charlie Watts - the most daper man in any room anywhere in the world. He’s right in front of me just like Mick was. He then makes a beeline to someone in the reception room. They hug/kiss etc. and meanwhile the room is packed with fans and nobody knows Charlie is in the room, just like they didn’t know Mick was just on the other side of the door.

I take a look down the steps and see Keith’s head of security. Here we go. Up the steps comes Keith Richards. Keith is now right in front of my face. I’m smiling.  And he’s smiling too. Here I am face to face with my hero. How often does that happen? He looked FANTASTIC. They all did. He also sounds nothing like he does in interview. He speaks clean and clear, is personable and a real joy to be around.

Face to face with my Gods.  Un-fucking-real. I'm still trying to put my brain around that evening. It wasn't like it was in the flash of an eye either - everything went into slow motion and I was able to enjoy every moment.

Very cool! Glad you got in and as luck would have it, in the right place at the right time! I saw L'Wren for the first time at The Ziegfeld for the Shine A Light Premiere and shes quite stunning to look at. Seeing the Stones close enough up to touch is as good as excitement gets! So happy they are in fine form too!

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #143 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 8:46pm

Thanks LJ, I missed this on TV today. Really good to see them looking great and and still having fun too, after only 50 years, and counting!

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #144 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 9:09pm

Extra has a 2 minute clip of The Stones on the Red Carpet at the Ziegfield Theater from last night. Its so funny!
Here's the link:
http://wildfire.gigya.com/facebook/preview.aspx?fb_sig_api_key=f7667e9ebccf2157d...

« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2012 at 9:11pm by Bitch »  

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #145 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 9:18pm
Bitch wrote on Nov 15th, 2012 at 9:09pm:
Extra has a 2 minute clip of The Stones on the Red Carpet at the Ziegfield Theater from last night. Its so funny!
Here's the link:
http://wildfire.gigya.com/facebook/preview.aspx?fb_sig_api_key=f7667e9ebccf2157d...

Charlie Watts is the coolest cat in this band, man !  Are you fucking serious? really?

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #146 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 9:48pm
Steel Wheels wrote on Nov 15th, 2012 at 7:54am:

For many, many years I have been a fanatical fan of the Rolling Stones. They have been the one constant in my life from a young boy until present day. I cannot stress this enough - it's more than just music - and it always will be. Through all the good times and bad times, fun times and not so fun times, I can rely on the Rolling Stones to carry me through it. And going to see them in concert is more than just a concert experience. It's my electric church to paraphrase Hendrix.  I suspect some of my fellow fans can relate to my feelings.  

I showed up around 530-ish. The press, some 12 or 13 year old female fans and onlookers littered the sidewalks. The girls were on cell phones trying to figure out what hotel the Stones are in.That was funny. It's 2012 and 50 years in, young chicks are still trying to get into hotel rooms.  A bunch of suit and tie types were at the end of the red carpet – which just so happened to be the front door of the theater. I recognized one of the HBO execs but no one from the Stones camp.

I take a look down the steps and see Keith’s head of security. Here we go. Up the steps comes Keith Richards. Keith is now right in front of my face. I’m smiling.  And he’s smiling too. Here I am face to face with my hero. How often does that happen? He looked FANTASTIC. They all did. He also sounds nothing like he does in interview. He speaks clean and clear, is personable and a real joy to be around.

Face to face with my Gods.  Un-fucking-real. I'm still trying to put my brain around that evening. It wasn't like it was in the flash of an eye either - everything went into slow motion and I was able to enjoy every moment.

that's the shit!

IP Logged

gorda
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #147 - Nov 15th, 2012 at 11:56pm
Micky said, "Blimey!"

Ha!  Ha!  Ha!

I love British slang.

Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Right here in the USA
Reply #148 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 6:58am
Watched it last night...what a cool document.  Certainly wouldn't stand alone as THE history of the band, but that's obviously not what they were going for. Kudos to Mick for steering this into more interesting territory...a treatise on fame and youthful rebellion.

...&&&&
IP Logged

SweetVirginia
Rocks Off Regular

I know it's only rock
'n roll but I like it

NY
Reply #149 - Nov 16th, 2012 at 7:38am
I agree. It's hard to please us die-hard fans, because most documentaries and media features are too general and are filled with stuff we have already seen and already know.

I found the whole tone of this spot on, and although we have seen much of the footage before, there was some that was new to me and it was well edited. The boy's comments on Brian's fall and death seemed really heartfelt and really moved me. The Altamont bit really conveyed the menacing atmosphere.

All in all, I thought it was great.

...&&&&&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)