Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bobby Keys new book, signing and tour! (Read 12,898 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Bobby Keys new book!
Reply #25 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 4:56am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Bitch wrote on Mar 5th, 2012 at 9:24pm:
gimmekeef wrote on Mar 5th, 2012 at 3:06pm:
Bobby is a buddy of Keith's...voila...Mick doesnt like or trust him.......

I thought Bobby was/is a buddy of RONNIE, not KEEF, therefore MICK really has no interest, even thought Bobby's musical contribution to the Stones is significant. Bobby ROCKS!

Keith & Bobby are (almost) famous partners in crime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOA3cJ8Y2As

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Reply #26 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 4:48pm
My copy just came in the mail from Amazon. Haven't started reading it yet.

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #27 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 8:57pm
Still waiting on a Friend to get me one! Blank Frigging Stare
Smiley

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #28 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 7:59am
Its on my wifes Kindle....and she is in middle of reading a damn vampire book...lol..guess I wait.....

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #29 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 10:23am
gimmekeef wrote on Mar 9th, 2012 at 7:59am:
Its on my wifes Kindle....and she is in middle of reading a damn vampire book...lol..guess I wait.....

Vampires suck.  Nanker

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #30 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 10:39pm
Bobby Keys: No Suffering Rock Star. This Guy’s Been Around!

Published: Friday, March 09, 2012
By Ken Kolasinski
Correspondent

Bobby Keys and the Suffering Bastards will deliver some good old-fashioned rock 'n' roll at the Keswick on March 10.

About 10 minutes into the conversation with Bobby Keys, it becomes almost impossible to stick to any sort of “linear” interview format.

That happens for a couple reasons.

First, and foremost, is probably the fact that the revered saxophonist has worked with just about every icon of rock ’n’ roll that you can name — from John Lennon to Elvis Presley to B.B. King to his possibly most recognized role: as “unofficial” longtime sax player for the Rolling Stones.

Second, is the fact that Keys has got such an arsenal of truly funny stories about virtually everyone he’s worked with — and a question about John Lennon, for instance, leads seamlessly into a funny story about racing Rod Stewart in Italian sports cars through the English countryside. The stories are so great for a music fan, it’s hard to not simply sit back and listen.

And third, Keys speaks in such an affable way, he makes you feel like you’re talking to an old friend. His Texas drawl and easy laugh only add to the conversation.

Plus, how often to you get to hear someone telling stories about Keith and Mick and John and George and realize you’re dealing with someone who was actually on a first-name basis with Keith, Mick, John and George?

Despite his many adventures with rock royalty, Keys comes across disarmingly humble, quickly thanking me for coming to a show he played with Keith Richards nearly 20 years ago that comes up in conversation and even asking if I had a good time.

That sort of sincerity is something Keys seems to pride himself on and is definitely a huge part of the rock ’n’ roll he’ll be playing when he brings his “Suffering Bastards” to the Keswick Theatre on March 10.

“Honest and sincere is the only way I know how to play,” said Keys, from his home n Nashville. “When I play the sax break on ‘Brown Sugar,’ I do it with as much inspiration and concentration in front of 10 people as I would in front of a stadium full of people.

“It’s the only way I know to do what I do.”

“Brown Sugar” is just one of the many songs to feature Keys’ work that will make its way into the setlist for the Suffering Bastards, an “all-star” band featuring drummer Steve Gorman of the Black Crowes, Dan Baird of the Georgia Satellites, Robert Kearns of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Michael Webb and Chark Kinsolving.

“We’re kind of a bunch of kindred spirits,” said Keys. “It’s pure spirit and we’re doing it because we love to play. It’s good ol’ spontaneous rock ’n’ roll that we love playing.

“And I really hope people love hearing,” he added before breaking into his infectious laugh.

The Keswick show promises to be a walk through Keys’ career history, something fans can explore in greater detail after the show by picking up his autobiography “Every Night’s a Saturday Night: The Rock ’n’ Roll Life of Legendary Sax Man Bobby Keys,” put together with Bob Ditenhafer.

“Sax players in Nashville are lonely people,” joked Keys. “When Bob got in contact with me about putting something together, I was interested to hear about what he had in mind.

“I didn’t want to do something sensationalistic, talking about all the drugs and women and stories that have been told to death. I really wanted to talk about the music.

“And that’s what we did.”

Keys and Ditenhafer would meet in a cafe, set up a tape recorder and start talking about his past.

“It’s kind of funny, but what helped me a lot was satellite radio,” said Keys. ìI’d put on the ’50s or ’60s channel and it would spark so many memories. I could remember where I was when I heard this or first heard that.”

And there is definitely no shortage of stories that Keys had to share. He had a ringside seat for so many great moments in rock ’n’ roll and saw rock music come of age and evolve into the business it is today.

Nothing illustrates that better than his long association with the Rolling Stones.

“Oh, man, I can remember when we were all riding together, packed in one paneled truck on the way to a show,” Keys said. “That’s not going to happen today.

“I do miss when it was a little more loose onstage with them. Now, when you’re playing stadiums, it’s strictly predetermined. The lights and such have to be just right with the songs.

“I guess it’s OK, as you want to give the fans more bang for the buck, but I love it more when you’re out there with the folks, playing a smaller place with the fans right up on the stage.

ìWe had that aspect with the Winos [Keith Richards’ backing band for his solo tours in the late ’80s and early ’90s]. Things were looser, a little more free.î

His ties to the Rolling Stones have made him a constant target this year as 2012 marks the 50th anniversary of the band. Despite numerous rumors of a tour, no firm plans have been announced.

“I hope they do,” said Keys. “I hope it happens. They’re one of the most significant, if not the most significant, bands of all time. Why not? I’d like to see them make a final tip of the hat.”

Despite his longtime association with the band, Keys insists he isn’t holding back on any inside word about what might or might not happen.

“Even though I’ve been around them for 40 some years, I’m not a board member,” he laughed. “I just work with the band. Keith always lets me know when something is going to happen.

“If I get the call, I’ll be ready.”

Bobby Keys & the

Suffering Bastards

will perform

at the Keswick Theatre,

Easton Rd. & Keswick Ave.,

Glenside, PA 19038,

Saturday, March 10, 8 p.m.

Tickets: $20 & $29.50.

Imnfi: 215-572-7650 or

www.keswicktheatre.com

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Highline Ballroom NYC, videos and setlist
Reply #31 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 6:04pm
Bobby was signing the books at his gig the other night and taking pictures, too bad I didnt buy the book. If he was smart he would of had a table set up selling his stuff just like Ian MacLagan does it, that way the fans who are at the shows can get the merchandise. Oh well I guess Bobby isnt much of a businessman. OK the show was really good, the setlist was great, and everyone had a good time, He took the stage at 8:30 and was done by 10. March 9, 2012, at The Highline Ballroom, NYC, a nice club show and you can get a table or stand. I took some videos! Hope you like them!

Setlist:

Live With Me
http://youtu.be/WSRayuSIrVg
The Letter
The Wanderer
Soul Seranade
Sweet Virginia
http://youtu.be/cfn_SzBa2hc
Brown Sugar
http://youtu.be/WSRayuSIrVg
Whatever Gets You Through the Night
http://youtu.be/7xhqIZTzd08
What is life? With Joan Osborne
http://youtu.be/QN8Krackfcs
Bitch
http://youtu.be/a8xNm1A-BtI
Delta lady
Encore:
CYHMK
http://youtu.be/rFvZvG8zCrQ
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2012 at 6:06pm by Bitch »  

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #32 - Mar 13th, 2012 at 12:10am

Jackie Greene Sits in with Bobby KeysPhotos by Dino PerrucciJackie Greene sat in with longtime Rolling Stones saxophonist Bobby Keys and his band The Suffering Bastards last night. The singer/songwriter emerged during the band’s set at New York’s Highline Ballroom to sing on the Stones classic “Brown Sugar.” The Uptown Horns also sat in during Keys’ performance. Keys’ Suffering Bastards features noted Southeast musicians like Dan Baird (Georgia Satellites), Steve Gorman (The Black Crowes), Robert Kearns (Lynyrd Skynyrd), Michael Webb (John Fogerty, Poco) and Chark Kinsolving (Mike Farris, Spoonful). Greene—who also performs with Gorman in Trigger Hippy—will perform at a Rolling Stones tribute at New York’s Carnegie Hall tomorrow.

« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2012 at 12:12am by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #33 - Mar 13th, 2012 at 12:30am

IP Logged

mrpitiful
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

NY
Reply #34 - Mar 13th, 2012 at 11:58am
On Sunday night at the Highline,it wasn't the full Uptown Horns sitting in.
The horn players included Arno Hecht from the Uptown Horns.
The other players were Tim Ries and Kent Smith.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #35 - Mar 13th, 2012 at 3:47pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Mar 13th, 2012 at 12:10am:

Jackie Greene Sits in with Bobby KeysPhotos by Dino PerrucciJackie Greene sat in with longtime Rolling Stones saxophonist Bobby Keys and his band The Suffering Bastards last night. The singer/songwriter emerged during the band’s set at New York’s Highline Ballroom to sing on the Stones classic “Brown Sugar.” The Uptown Horns also sat in during Keys’ performance. Keys’ Suffering Bastards features noted Southeast musicians like Dan Baird (Georgia Satellites), Steve Gorman (The Black Crowes), Robert Kearns (Lynyrd Skynyrd), Michael Webb (John Fogerty, Poco) and Chark Kinsolving (Mike Farris, Spoonful). Greene—who also performs with Gorman in Trigger Hippy—will perform at a Rolling Stones tribute at New York’s Carnegie Hall tomorrow.

Man,Jackie Greene gets around. He's going to be at the Stones tribute show tonight as well and just finished a bunch of west coast dates.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #36 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 11:32am
Bobby Keys Book Signing 
Bobby Keys Book Signing at Parnassus

When: Mon., March 19, 7-8:30 p.m.
Phone: 953-2243
parnassusbooks.net

In the arena of rock ’n’ roll sidemen, Bobby Keys is an outright legend. As longtime saxophonist for The Rolling Stones and best friend to Keith Richards, the Texas-to-Tennessee transplant has a life story of noted excess and stadium-sized adventure. And as a session man who’s accompanied artists ranging from Delaney & Bonnie to Joe Cocker, Marvin Gaye, John Lennon, Harry Nilsson and Lynyrd Skynyrd, Keys has a musical story of timeless, signature performances on seminally indelible records by the most famed faces in the storybook of rock.

While Keys’ excesses are uproariously detailed in Richards’ instantly infamous 2010 autobiography Life, it’s the musical story that Keys tells in his own memoir Every Night’s a Saturday Night, which he co-penned with Music City wordsmith Bill Ditenhafer. Keys’ promotional tour for the book — which came out at the end of last month — brings him to Parnassus Books in Green Hills this evening for a signing, following which the sax man will lead his band The Suffering Bastards — a musical justice league of local notables the likes of Dan Baird, Mike Webb, Steve Gorman, Dean Tomasek and Chark Kinsolving, which plays key cuts of the Keys-contributed canon — for a performance/reception at Mercy Lounge.

— Adam Gold
Parnassus Books
3900 Hillsboro Pike NASHVILLE
Be the first to review this location!

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #37 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 11:45am
Rolling Stones saxophonist Bobby Keys tells about his “Rock ‘N’ Roll Life’

http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/2012/03/18/rolling-stones-saxophonist-bobby-k...

Bobby Keys will tell you lots of things.

He’ll tell you the names of his saxophones, and he’ll tell you Mexican jails are not fun. He’ll tell you that Yoko Ono isn’t wild about people who drink and cuss and strip naked and holler.

He’ll also tell you “You’re So Vain” was about Mick Jagger, and that B.B. King is an absolute prince, and that Bonnie Bramlett’s version of “Piece of My Heart” blew Janis Joplin’s away. He’ll tell you about how J.I. Allison, who will soon join the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of The Crickets, is a super-nice guy.

He’ll tell you what it’s like to stand onstage with the Rolling Stones, and what it’s like to be Keith Richards’ running buddy (hint: way more fun than a Mexican jail).

He’ll tell you a bunch of stuff. Just don’t ask about the time he and Richards threw a television set out of a hotel room in 1972.

“If there’s one moment I could take back it would be that moment of throwing the damn television set out the window because, of all the music, of all the solos, of all the records I have played on, out of everything I’ve done in my life that had to do with rock ’n’ roll, that plummeting television set seems to be the most ingrained picture in people’s mind of what it is I do,” Keys writes in his new autobiography, the aptly titled Every Night’s a Saturday Night: The Rock ’N’ Roll Life of Legendary Sax Man Bobby Keys.

Yeah, that tube-tossing deal was captured on film, and the story wound up getting around. Not really much of a story to it, anyway. And there’s no sense in trying to replicate the throw: Flat screens don’t fly right.

Anyway, Keys’ story would be complete, unique and fascinating without hotel hijinks.

Correction: Not quite as fascinating without the tale of filling a bathtub with one French model and multiple bottles of expensive champagne. That incident cost him all his profits from a Rolling Stones’ tour.

“Kind of dumb,” writes Keys, 68, who has lived in Nashville for the past 20 years. “But, you know, man, I’d do it again.”

Keys’ co-writer, Bill Ditenhafer, offers further explanation:

“Bobby is an all-in guy. He’s an icon of fun and carefreeness. He’s played with more people than he can remember, and he’s an avatar of rock ’n’ roll. He’s played it, he’s lived it, and he embodies it.”

Love letter to music

Every Night’s a Saturday Night has plenty of party stories, but it’s mainly a love letter to music.

Keys grew up in straight-laced Lubbock, Texas, feeling ill-at-ease until he fell in with rockers such as Allison, Joe B. Mauldin and Buddy Holly.

From there, he went wherever the music took him, touring with the Stones, Delaney & Bonnie and Joe Cocker, and recording with a list of greats that includes John Lennon, George Harrison, Harry Nilsson, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marvin Gaye, Carly Simon, Chuck Berry and John Hiatt.

He never learned to read music. He just plays it like he feels it, and he feels it intensely enough for Richards to call him the hottest sax man on the planet. (In the book’s foreword, Richards also calls Keys “my most treasured friend.”)

Keys is a saxophone king in a guitar town. He’s a sideman who gets frontman-appropriate applause. He’s spent a lifetime relying on his ears and his instincts and his friends. And he’s achieved every goal he’s ever set.

“I always wanted to play rock ’n’ roll and make a lot of money and get a lot of chicks,” he writes.

Done. Done. And done.

Reach Peter Cooper at 615-259-8220 or [email protected].

If You Go

What: Bobby Keys book signing, with co-writer Bill Ditenhafer

When: 7 p.m. Monday, March 19

Where: Parnassus Books, 3900 Hillsboro Pike, Suite 14

Tickets: No charge for admission, and anyone who purchases a book will get free admission to the Mercy Lounge show later that night. For more information, call Parnassus at 615-953-2243.

What: The Suffering Bastards (Keys’ band, featuring Dan Baird, Mike Webb, Steve Gorman, Dean Tomasek and Clark Kinsolving)

When: 9 p.m. Monday, March 19

Where: Mercy Lounge, 1 Cannery Row

Tickets: TBA, available at the door. www.mercylounge.com

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Re: Bobby Keys new book, signing and tour!
Reply #38 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 7:47pm
Why does Bobby want a "final" anything in regards to the Stones? Enough already about the next tour being the last tour.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #39 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 9:09pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Mar 19th, 2012 at 11:45am:
Rolling Stones saxophonist Bobby Keys tells about his “Rock ‘N’ Roll Life’

http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/2012/03/18/rolling-stones-saxophonist-bobby-k...

Bobby Keys will tell you lots of things.

He’ll tell you the names of his saxophones, and he’ll tell you Mexican jails are not fun. He’ll tell you that Yoko Ono isn’t wild about people who drink and cuss and strip naked and holler.

He’ll also tell you “You’re So Vain” was about Mick Jagger, and that B.B. King is an absolute prince, and that Bonnie Bramlett’s version of “Piece of My Heart” blew Janis Joplin’s away. He’ll tell you about how J.I. Allison, who will soon join the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of The Crickets, is a super-nice guy.

He’ll tell you what it’s like to stand onstage with the Rolling Stones, and what it’s like to be Keith Richards’ running buddy (hint: way more fun than a Mexican jail).

He’ll tell you a bunch of stuff. Just don’t ask about the time he and Richards threw a television set out of a hotel room in 1972.

“If there’s one moment I could take back it would be that moment of throwing the damn television set out the window because, of all the music, of all the solos, of all the records I have played on, out of everything I’ve done in my life that had to do with rock ’n’ roll, that plummeting television set seems to be the most ingrained picture in people’s mind of what it is I do,” Keys writes in his new autobiography, the aptly titled Every Night’s a Saturday Night: The Rock ’N’ Roll Life of Legendary Sax Man Bobby Keys.

Yeah, that tube-tossing deal was captured on film, and the story wound up getting around. Not really much of a story to it, anyway. And there’s no sense in trying to replicate the throw: Flat screens don’t fly right.

Anyway, Keys’ story would be complete, unique and fascinating without hotel hijinks.

Correction: Not quite as fascinating without the tale of filling a bathtub with one French model and multiple bottles of expensive champagne. That incident cost him all his profits from a Rolling Stones’ tour.

“Kind of dumb,” writes Keys, 68, who has lived in Nashville for the past 20 years. “But, you know, man, I’d do it again.”

Keys’ co-writer, Bill Ditenhafer, offers further explanation:

“Bobby is an all-in guy. He’s an icon of fun and carefreeness. He’s played with more people than he can remember, and he’s an avatar of rock ’n’ roll. He’s played it, he’s lived it, and he embodies it.”

Love letter to music

Every Night’s a Saturday Night has plenty of party stories, but it’s mainly a love letter to music.

Keys grew up in straight-laced Lubbock, Texas, feeling ill-at-ease until he fell in with rockers such as Allison, Joe B. Mauldin and Buddy Holly.

From there, he went wherever the music took him, touring with the Stones, Delaney & Bonnie and Joe Cocker, and recording with a list of greats that includes John Lennon, George Harrison, Harry Nilsson, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marvin Gaye, Carly Simon, Chuck Berry and John Hiatt.

He never learned to read music. He just plays it like he feels it, and he feels it intensely enough for Richards to call him the hottest sax man on the planet. (In the book’s foreword, Richards also calls Keys “my most treasured friend.”)

Keys is a saxophone king in a guitar town. He’s a sideman who gets frontman-appropriate applause. He’s spent a lifetime relying on his ears and his instincts and his friends. And he’s achieved every goal he’s ever set.

“I always wanted to play rock ’n’ roll and make a lot of money and get a lot of chicks,” he writes.

Done. Done. And done.

Reach Peter Cooper at 615-259-8220 or [email protected].

If You Go

What: Bobby Keys book signing, with co-writer Bill Ditenhafer

When: 7 p.m. Monday, March 19

Where: Parnassus Books, 3900 Hillsboro Pike, Suite 14

Tickets: No charge for admission, and anyone who purchases a book will get free admission to the Mercy Lounge show later that night. For more information, call Parnassus at 615-953-2243.

What: The Suffering Bastards (Keys’ band, featuring Dan Baird, Mike Webb, Steve Gorman, Dean Tomasek and Clark Kinsolving)

When: 9 p.m. Monday, March 19

Where: Mercy Lounge, 1 Cannery Row

Tickets: TBA, available at the door. www.mercylounge.com

I'm sold I'm getting the book...........

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #40 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 11:23pm
Bobby Keys remembers 40 rollicking years with the Rolling Stones

By Gene Triplett
Published: March 23, 2012
Bobby Keys claims he taught Keith Richards a thing or two about partying like a rock star.
http://newsok.com

But of course, the Texas-born sax man had a couple of years more road experience than the Rolling Stones guitarist, even though both men were born on exactly the same day, Dec. 18, 1943.

Keys has been at it since he was a teenager, having convinced his grandfather to sign his guardianship over to former Buddy Holly drummer J.I. Allison in 1961 so he could go on tour with fellow Texas rocker Buddy Knox of “Party Doll” fame.
Keys even spent some time raising a bit of hell on the Tulsa music scene before finally becoming an auxiliary Stone — and fast friends with that band's legendarily indestructible party beast.

“I taught that boy (Richards) tricks he never knew,” Keys said with a deep Texas drawl and a mischievous chuckle during a recent phone interview from his Nashville home. “No, I'd say we both exploited each other's strengths. We were pretty strong partiers.”
New memoir

Keys tells (almost) all about his 40 years of touring and recording with the Stones, and the colorful years leading up to that association, in his new memoir, “Every Night's a Saturday Night,” cowritten with journalist Bill Ditenhafer with a forward by Richards.
It begins with his childhood and teen years in Slaton, Texas and nearby Lubbock, where he bribed his way into Buddy Holly's garage with burgers, fries and Cokes from the Hi-D-Ho Drive-In so that future pop star Holly and his band, the Crickets, would allow him to hang around and watch them practice.

Keys was raised by his grandparents in Slaton, but his aunt Aunt Leora lived in Lubbock, right across the street from Holly's parents' house. Holly was the first electric guitarist Keys had ever heard, and he was hooked like a little kid following the Pied Piper.
“It just stirred something inside of me,” Keys said.

As he grew into teen-hood, Keys became friends with Holly and the Crickets, particularly drummer Allison and bassist Joe B. Mauldin. The saxophone became Keys' instrument of choice because it was the only one unclaimed when he joined his school band, but he dedicated himself to learning how to play, seeing it as his ticket into the world of rock 'n' roll and R&B.

After Holly's short streak of success, which ended with his death in a plane crash on Feb. 3, 1959, the Crickets went on hiatus and Keys was spending more and more time in Lubbock, even living with Mauldin during his senior year in high school. The two eventually formed a band, the Hollyhawks, and were playing gigs as far away from home as Tucson, Phoenix and Albuquerque.
Then Knox, a native of Happy, Texas, who'd had a smash hit in 1957 with his original song “Party Doll,” told Allison he was looking for a sax player to take on tour with him. Allison recommended Keys and the young sax-blower kissed home and high school goodbye.

Right time, right place

He was immediately hooked on the road, which led to big cities such as New York, where his association with Knox landed him a recording session in 1961 with Dion, during which Keys recorded the sax accompaniment and solo on “The Wanderer.”

In 1962, Keys was once again in the right place at the right time in Los Angeles, when an old friend from Lubbock, now a songwriter in L.A., called Keys in as a last-minute replacement for a player who couldn't make a recording date. The kid found himself playing sax on the session for Elvis Presley's “Return to Sender.”

“I was a teenager, I was 18,” Keys said. “It's still one of the coolest things I've ever done.”
But later that year, Knox had to abandon the tour for family reasons, and Keys and the other band members found themselves stuck in Tulsa.

“We got sorta stranded there,” Keys said. “I remember we were playin' in a place called the Fondalight Club. … I was playin' with a guy named Jimmy Markham (singer, harmonica player), who still lives there to this day. Through Jimmy I met (fiddle player) Bill Boatman, (drummer) Jimmy Karstein and (bassist) Carl Radle and a whole bunch of people.”

This was a time when “the great Okie Musicians Migration to Los Angeles,” as Keys calls it, was well under way. Keys spent a few months playing clubs around Tulsa until Buddy Knox's booking agent got him a gig with a band that was going to back clean-cut teen idol Bobby Vee on Dick Clark's Caravan of Stars Tour, which also included Little Anthony & the Imperials, Freddie Cannon, Major Lance, the Shangri-La's and many others.

Stones connection

It was on that tour, when it stopped at the Teenage World's Fair in San Antonio in June 1964, that Keys first met the Rolling Stones. They were interested that Keys had known Buddy Holly, as the Stones' current single at the time was a cover of Holly's “Not Fade Away.”

Keys, in turn, was most impressed with Richards, because he reminded the sax-player of Holly.
In his book, Keys wrote, “even though they didn't look alike physically, they had a lot of the same qualities. They were both highly motivated people. I mean, Holly knew he was gonna make it … he had no fear. And that's what I saw right away in Keith Richards. It was one of those moments, like a chill-down-to-the-spine moment. He just had that same look in his eye.”
When the Dick Clark tour ended, Keys headed back to Tulsa, and ended up getting swept along in that “Okie Musicians Migration” to L.A., where “you couldn't throw a stick without hittin' an Okie — or maybe even two of 'em.”

“Man, they were in abundance,” Keys said. “They were all out there, I think, following my Texas buddies … Jerry Allison, Joe B. Mauldin, Sonny Curtis and, of course, Snuff Garrett. Texans and Okies just seemed to get together.”

Keys recalls becoming a regular at “West Coast Okies Headquarters,” which was Leon Russell's house in North Hollywood, and that's where Keys connected with the beginnings of Delaney and Bonnie Bramlett's band, which included Oklahomans Karstein on drums, Radle on bass, Johnny (later J.J.) Cale on guitar, and later Jim Keltner on drums.

It was through his stint with the Bramletts and his friendship with Russell that he met such British luminaries as Eric Clapton and George Harrison, which led to still more introductions — and gigs on record or onstage — with John Lennon, Joe Cocker (on the Mad Dogs & Englishmen Tour with Russell as band leader), Yoko Ono, Ringo Starr, Keith Moon, Warren Zevon and Sheryl Crow, to name a few.

Branching out

He was finishing sessions in London on Harrison's “All Things Must Pass” in 1969 when he ran into Mick Jagger at a nightclub.
“He was wanting to maybe branch out the Stones stuff and they had a couple of songs that were oriented more toward Otis Redding and the Memphis-Stax sound, and he saw the opportunity for Jim (Price, Keys' longtime horn section partner) and I to play there and see if it was what he was lookin' for. Apparently it was.”

Indeed, it was the beginning of a long and beautiful creative and personal friendship with the Stones. There are a few anecdotes in Keys' book about “whenever Keith and I would get drunk and rowdy,” smoke hash and mess with “drugs and chicks,” and stories about living with Jagger early on, when the singer was a bachelor, and they “caroused around London together. What can I say? It was not a bad time. We were a couple of bachelors, especially a guy from Texas, ridin' around in a Rolls-Royce with this internationally-known son of Satan.”

But in his memoir, Keys goes easy on the “sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll” aspects of his career, concentrating more on the music he's made, and the people with whom he's made it over the years — particularly the people he's become closest to, such as Richards.
“I just got a fax from Keith yesterday. He started readin' the book, and he says he likes it better than his,” Keys said.
“He's the best son of a bitch I ever met in my life, you know, in every way. You can depend on him. He's honest. He does not lie. He does not bull - - - -. And besides, he plays guitar just about as good as anybody I've every played with. And I just like him. I like his spirit. I like his heart.”

These days Keys is keeping busy with his own band, the Suffering Bastards, but he's ready for his next call from his friend in this 50th anniversary year of the Stones.

“I feel that if they do another tour, whatever they do, there's a good chance I'll be there,” he said.

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #41 - Mar 23rd, 2012 at 11:19am
BOOK SUCKS, JUS SAYIN.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #42 - Mar 23rd, 2012 at 12:05pm
BILL PERKS wrote on Mar 23rd, 2012 at 11:19am:
BOOK SUCKS, JUS SAYIN.

I read today that KEEF said Bobby's book was better than his book Life! Maybe thats just KEEF being humble?

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #43 - May 26th, 2012 at 3:26pm
EVERY NIGHT'S A SATURDAY NIGHT

Bobby Keys with Bill Ditenhafer 
Counterpoint
$25, 277 pages
http://www.oregonlive.com/books/index.ssf/2012/05/every_nights_a_saturday_night....

WHAT'S THE STORY? Keys is a good-time saxophone player from Texas who went from touring with Buddy Knox and Bobby Vee to playing with George Harrison, Eric Clapton, John Lennon and a long association with the Rolling Stones.

WHAT'S THE TONE? Endearing. Keys was a major party animal -- Keith Richards is a lifelong friend -- who's also a talented musician and a great guy.

BEST PART: For about four years, Keys lived in London and bounced from one superstar session to the next. The story about playing on Elvis Presley's "Return to Sender" as an 18-year-old is a classic.

COOLEST PHOTO: Keys on a Manhattan rooftop with Lennon and producer Jimmy Iovine in 1974.

CLOSE MUSICAL ENEMY: No one, really. Mick Jagger didn't like it when Keys quit a Stones tour in the 1970s because of a heroin problem and has been cool to him ever since, but they get along.

FUN FACT: Keys helped Richards write "Happy" by fooling around on a baritone sax. He also threw a TV out a hotel room window with Richards, a moment that was captured on the famous Robert Frank documentary of the 1972 tour.

KEY QUOTE: "There are rumors out there that I got kicked out of the Stones because I wouldn't get out of a bathtub filled with champagne and a French model, for instance. That is absolutely untrue. Yes, I got caught in a hotel bathtub filled with champagne and a woman, but that wasn't my point of departure."

-- Jeff Baker

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #44 - Jun 1st, 2012 at 1:27pm
Highline Ballroom

Legendary Rolling Stones Saxophonist : Bobby Keys & The Suffering Bastards

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 7:30 PM EDT (6:00 PM Doors)
Highline Ballroom, New York, NY

Exact seating is first come, first seated.

General Admission - $25.00

I'll probably go to this event and get his book signed, since someone was kind enough to send me the book! Thank you! I havent read it yet, but soon I'll be chillin' out in a beach chair with a margarita, now that summer is here!

IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Right here in the USA
Reply #45 - Jun 1st, 2012 at 3:22pm
Bitch wrote on Mar 5th, 2012 at 9:24pm:
gimmekeef wrote on Mar 5th, 2012 at 3:06pm:
Bobby is a buddy of Keith's...voila...Mick doesnt like or trust him.......

I thought Bobby was/is a buddy of RONNIE, not KEEF, therefore MICK really has no interest, even thought Bobby's musical contribution to the Stones is significant. Bobby ROCKS!

No..Keith and Bobby were VERY close, long before Woody joined the band. And they were both born on the same day - Dec 18, 1943.

...&&&&
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #46 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 8:51pm
Now a DVD with interviews, to be released in Japan on August 30

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #47 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 1:04pm

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #48 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 11:24pm
I know I've been gone for a bit. But Bobby Keys is touring? With Brian Jones?  Wink

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #49 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 10:52am
Yes they are touring!!! LOL

The original post was created on January 31, 2012 so Bobby was alive and touring with the bastards!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)