Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20
Send Topic Print
Upcoming Archival (Bootleg Series) Wishes (Read 67,503 times)
eric
Rocks Off Regular

Re: Upcoming Archival (Bootleg Series) Wishes
Reply #100 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 12:00pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
"Limiting the choice of archive releases commemorating and celebrating their 50th anniversary as a band to a four year period between 1969 to 1973 sort of defeats the entire point of the exercise, no?"

Exactly.  One must view this from the business standpoint of the Rolling Stones.  Business moves product, the main product for the Stones being concert attendance, merchandise, etc.

In my view, releasing these shows is a clever way of creating demand for the next tour.  They can't possibly be making money on these releases.  Sort of a marketing loss leader to generate the big income a tour will provide.

If I were to guess, I would say each release will cover a tour later than the previous release and most likely be from a different part of the world.  Next up, maybe the '90 Urban Jungle from London, then possibly a '95 South American show or Japanese show.

The Stones are a worldwide affair, they've got a big area to cover.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #101 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 12:06pm
Hampton '81 is now available on the archive store for non-US customers

$7 for mp3, and $9 for FLAC.

http://www.stonesarchivestore.com/

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

The-Worst
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #102 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 12:41pm
I'm loving Hampton.  I had it blasting in the car on the way to work & as pdog said the nice thing about this versus the bootleg is that it doesn't get distorted when it is blasted really loud.  The mix is also great, like Brussels Affair, I have gained a greater appreciation for Bill Wyman bass playing.

So with 2 down & 4 to go the question is what could be left.  The Stones seem to be very in touch with what the hardcore fans want to see released since Brussels Affair, Handsome Girls, & Hampton '81, arguably the three most popular boots have been released right out the gate.  Therefore, unless they are going strickly in chronological order I have to believe that El Mocambo will be one of the next four released.

After that, I have to believe there will be at least one release from the 1989-2006 period.  Since they seem to be going with popular boots or telecasts which probably have the best possible sound source I'm guessing the top three candidates are Atlantic City '89, & Paradiso '95.  I'm hoping they don't just take the audio off the Voodoo Lounge DVD show in Miami (although I love that tour) or the 2003 MSG telecast as much of it is already on Live Licks.  I actually hope they pull out some show from the No Security tour with some really different setlists. 

Assuming they only took one from the 89-06 period (probably not the case) however- what other shows would be left?  There are so many but I'm trying to think of the real popular boots/live broadcasts.  I think Marquee from '71 would be great.  I'd love to see a Brian Jones one but I don't know how realistic that is-Did they tour Europe in '67? Was that Brian's final tour with them & are there any quality boots of that out there?

I tthink LA '75 or Aux Abbitors from Paris in '76 would be other candidates but those are pretty close to Love You Live.  Anyway you cut it I think this is great!!!   Perverted Mick

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #103 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 1:22pm
Just downloaded it and listening now (on FLAC)

and...

It's a monster. Even to my ageing lugs (battered by years of listening to loud music), the sound absolutely blows the bootlegs out of the water.  Great job by Bob Clearmountain.

Highlights are the best live version ever of "Let It Bleed" and a riproaring "Just My Imagination"

... ... ...
IP Logged

rogerriffin
Rocks Off Regular

MEXICO DF.
Reply #104 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 3:54pm
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

I paid 9usd for the .flac, but when i try to download all sucks....

i do preffer 1000 times to buy at amazon or ebay....

"Rock`n`Roll, Let`s Go! Keith-Mexico`95
WWW rogerriffin rogerriffin@yahoo.com.mx  
IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #105 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 4:44pm
ON SAXOPHONE, ERNIE WATTS !!!!!
HELLS YEA !

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #106 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 5:51pm
CONCERT IS GREAT ,BUT CHRLIE'S PLAYING TOOK A SERIOUS STEP BACK FROM 1978.

IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Reply #107 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 7:42pm
Pdog wrote on Jan 31st, 2012 at 8:06am:
just remember, with whatever dissapointment you feel, with this and the next four releases... Most of us wanted Brussels, and we got it! If that was all we were to get, then that would've been alot...
Can We Get Satisfaction? I think most of us just never can get enough... and that they are even attempting this, and making it available in lossless downloads on the cheap, mastered great and getting the best mix, so everything sounds great, is an homage to us fans... Be Happy or or not... but I really think this is a great gesture by the band...

I totally agree, can never get enough. Keep these releases coming. I've been waiting for these for a looooonnnnnnngggggg time. really?

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Reply #108 - Feb 1st, 2012 at 7:45pm
I'm really hoping we get one of the No Security shows as well.

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #109 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 7:06am
Ernie 'no relation' Watts is my hero this week

...and he will kick ALL of your asses...

« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2012 at 7:32am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #110 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 7:18am
The-Worst wrote on Feb 1st, 2012 at 12:41pm:
I'm loving Hampton.  I had it blasting in the car on the way to work & as pdog said the nice thing about this versus the bootleg is that it doesn't get distorted when it is blasted really loud.  The mix is also great, like Brussels Affair, I have gained a greater appreciation for Bill Wyman bass playing.

So with 2 down & 4 to go the question is what could be left.  The Stones seem to be very in touch with what the hardcore fans want to see released since Brussels Affair, Handsome Girls, & Hampton '81, arguably the three most popular boots have been released right out the gate.  Therefore, unless they are going strickly in chronological order I have to believe that El Mocambo will be one of the next four released.

After that, I have to believe there will be at least one release from the 1989-2006 period.  Since they seem to be going with popular boots or telecasts which probably have the best possible sound source I'm guessing the top three candidates are Atlantic City '89, & Paradiso '95.  I'm hoping they don't just take the audio off the Voodoo Lounge DVD show in Miami (although I love that tour) or the 2003 MSG telecast as much of it is already on Live Licks.  I actually hope they pull out some show from the No Security tour with some really different setlists.  

Assuming they only took one from the 89-06 period (probably not the case) however- what other shows would be left?  There are so many but I'm trying to think of the real popular boots/live broadcasts.  I think Marquee from '71 would be great.  I'd love to see a Brian Jones one but I don't know how realistic that is-Did they tour Europe in '67? Was that Brian's final tour with them & are there any quality boots of that out there?

I tthink LA '75 or Aux Abbitors from Paris in '76 would be other candidates but those are pretty close to Love You Live.  Anyway you cut it I think this is great!!!   Perverted Mick

They toured continental Europe in spring 1967 - the final tour with Brian. There's a radio broadcast in circulation of the Paris gig from 11th April and somewhat primitive audience recordings of a few other shows, but nothing that I would think would be releasable, unless they have something that we don't know about.

IF this Stones Archives thing is solely a 6-show deal to cover their 50 years as a band, then - taking personal taste out of the equation - logic dictates that there should be a show from the era with Brian Jones and a couple from 1989 onwards. That would leave one and a mid-70's show would be the most likely, I would think - either a 1975 ToTA concert or an El Mocambo release.

Of course, if its an ongoing project which will continue beyond their 50th anniversary, then its a bottomless pit and it doesnt really matter what's next or in what sequence - we'll get every era eventually.

The Marquee 71 show is not a good performance. They were so dissatisfied with it that they wouldnt even let it be shown in the UK. Leeds is a much better gig, and as it was a radio broadcast (in mono) would be a more likely candidate for a 1971 release - ideally if it's in stereo and includes the first two songs, which were not broadcast and which have never circulated.

... ... ...
IP Logged

The-Worst
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #111 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 9:26am
Good stuff Gazza. I really hope they do even more then these 6 releases but regardless I'm very thankful for what we are being given.  When you think about it, with the exception of the cost to have these remixed & remastered by Bob Clearmountain the cost of putting these out is very little.  There is no production costs of manufacturing & distributing CDs.  They basically remaster them & upload them to a website.  That's why they can be provided for dirt cheap. 

The real question I have is is there a way for me to get lossless versions of these in the US without my computer filling up with viriuses when I go to download them?  you made a grown man cry

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #112 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 11:30am
I have a link to the FLAC version on a free file sharing service...it is working fine.....Gazza I wont post it here and let me know if there is a problem sharing it with others.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

The-Worst
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #113 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 12:16pm
gimmekeef, I don't want to rock the boat with the moderators of this site so I'll defer to them but if you have the link I'd appreciate it.  I paid for the MP3s & am willing to pay for the FLAC files as well, I just can't in the US.

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #114 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 12:21pm
RUDE,RUDE,RUDE I WISH I WERE NUDE.
TO YER EALTH' ,KEEF!

IP Logged

rogerriffin
Rocks Off Regular

MEXICO DF.
Reply #115 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 12:58pm
now i like that show, before i heard once by year i think, now i like it very much!!!

i also upload in .flac for share...if any need them...

"Rock`n`Roll, Let`s Go! Keith-Mexico`95
WWW rogerriffin rogerriffin@yahoo.com.mx  
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #116 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 1:20pm
The-Worst wrote on Feb 2nd, 2012 at 12:16pm:
gimmekeef, I don't want to rock the boat with the moderators of this site so I'll defer to them but if you have the link I'd appreciate it.  I paid for the MP3s & am willing to pay for the FLAC files as well, I just can't in the US.

I have no problem sharing as it was given to me...just want to wait for mods here to make a call on this.....a lot of concern lately regarding file sharing and I don't want to get the entire site in hot water....

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #117 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 2:16pm
Available in the newsgroups now.

Hampton_81.jpg (276 KB | )
Hampton_81.jpg

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #118 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 2:57pm
Just curiuos, is Hampton '81 the same show where Keith racked that stage-jumper with his guitar?  Are you fucking serious?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #119 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 3:01pm
Yep.

Keith 'chops the mother down' at 1:06 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMJqey4Qr2A

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #120 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 3:05pm
gimmekeef wrote on Feb 2nd, 2012 at 1:20pm:
gimmekeef, I don't want to rock the boat with the moderators of this site so I'll defer to them but if you have the link I'd appreciate it.  I paid for the MP3s & am willing to pay for the FLAC files as well, I just can't in the US.

I have no problem sharing as it was given to me...just want to wait for mods here to make a call on this.....a lot of concern lately regarding file sharing and I don't want to get the entire site in hot water....

If you want to pm each other, fine - but posting links for downloading it on here might be a problem. Thanks.

... ... ...
IP Logged

patioaintdry
Rocks Off Regular

the pools in but the patio
ain't dry

Reply #121 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 6:42pm
This release is really terrific - the Clearmoutain mix does lend a certain freshness to what is a very familiar 30 year-old recording - I first heard it on 12/18/81 while recording onto cassette off the radio.  A few observations:

-- great to hear the guitars from the very beginning on Under My Thumb.
-- Mick's guitar is all but gone from When the Whip Comes Down
-- a shame Keith's vocals are buried a bit, especially on LSTNT
-- it seems a sligh bit of trimming occurred on Neighbors, Let Me Go and a few other songs
-- Time is on My Side vocals are unmistakeably overdubbed - sound not quite the same as Still Life, but definitely not from the original recording
-- a couple of brief snippets of Miss You are also overdubbed

These don't seem to be recent overdubs, but rather from early 82 for Still Life/KBFH purposes?  Again, not a complaint, merely observing.  Finally, Keith is definitely louder in the mix.  This is not a complaint either as I feel this may be his best playing live - ever. Blasphemous to some I know, but he was amazing this entire tour.  In my opinion, the black telecaster custom guitar tone coupled with his evolution as a player by 1981 is his finest onstage period.  Overall, what a fantastic release.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #122 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 6:47pm
Gazza wrote on Feb 2nd, 2012 at 3:05pm:
gimmekeef wrote on Feb 2nd, 2012 at 1:20pm:

If you want to pm each other, fine - but posting links for downloading it on here might be a problem. Thanks.

I can niether confirm or deny the reports it is on Demonoid!

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #123 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 7:43pm

Has Wyman been cropped out again?? Or is that
HUGE
Jagger backdrop meant that
the other four are BW,CW,RW, and KR?

IP Logged

erikjjf
Rocks Off Regular

Sweden
Reply #124 - Feb 2nd, 2012 at 11:53pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Feb 2nd, 2012 at 7:43pm:
Has Wyman been cropped out again?? Or is that Jagger backdrop meant that the other four are BW,CW,RW, and KR?

Bill is one of the other four. This was a concert poster for the Pontiac Silverdome shows in 1981.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)