Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print
Today in Rock - Stones related (Read 156,336 times)
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Re: Today in Rock - Stones related
Reply #225 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 11:33am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
42 years ago today, the tragic plane crash with members of Lynyrd Skynyrd

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #226 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 11:35am
Providing backup vocals for the band's live performances were, from left, Cassie Gaines, Leslie Hawkins and JoJo Billingsley. Gaines and Van Zant were 29 years old when they died in the 1977 plane crash. Steve Gaines, Cassie's younger brother, was 28. Getty Images

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #227 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 11:41am
Well, since this is "Stones related", check the t-shirt Ronnie Van Zant is using on stage, then see this of Joey, yes, our Joey, drinking with Artimus Pyle and Allen Collins

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #228 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 11:49am
Here with Mick backstage at Knebworth 1976.(courtesy of Cucho Peñaloza)

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #229 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 11:50am
Another from the 75 tour, with the same t-shirt

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #230 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 6:20pm
Still remember hearing about the crash the next day.
Still got my Street Survivors album, with the flames.
Got tp see them in 1975

I think there's a group that treks out to the crash site every year.
They had good weather this time.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/entertainment/2019/10/19/lynyrd-skynyrd-plan...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

CS
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Hell
Reply #231 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 12:59pm
30 Years Ago: Rolling Stones Go Old-School for Last Top 40 Hit

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/rolling-stones-rock-and-a-hard-place/

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #232 - Nov 25th, 2019 at 10:35am
Lapointe: A Half-Century Ago, The Rolling Stones Played An Historic Show At Detroit’s Olympia Stadium

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/articles/23784/lapointe_a_half-century_ago_the_ro...

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #233 - Dec 3rd, 2019 at 11:53am
December 3, 1965, in Sacramento, Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards was knocked unconscious onstage because of an electric shock he received when his guitar made contact with his microphone.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #234 - Jul 11th, 2020 at 8:45am
Fifty-eight years ago, 12, July, 1962

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #235 - Jul 11th, 2020 at 10:48am
LOL today is July 11 but I will use that one tomorrow, thanks Edith

26 years ago today... Voodoo Lounge was released

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #236 - Jul 12th, 2020 at 9:28am
First recording found - and it's a bit earlier than we all thought.....

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #237 - Jul 12th, 2020 at 3:13pm
Gazza wrote on Jul 12th, 2020 at 9:28am:
First recording found - and it's a bit earlier than we all thought.....

Their first publicity photo:

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #238 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 5:18am
Today in Entertainment History

By The Associated Press
July 22, 2020 12:00 am       2 min read

On July 22, 1965, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones were fined five pounds for urinating on the wall of a London gas station. They were charged with “insulting behavior.”

In 1967, Vanilla Fudge made their concert debut in New York.

In 1969, singer Aretha Franklin was arrested for disorderly conduct after a disturbance in a Detroit parking lot.

In 1972, the variety show “The Bobby Darin Amusement Company” premiered on CBS.

In 1977, Elvis Costello’s first album, “My Aim Is True,” was released in the UK. It was released in the U.S. in October of that year.

In 1983, Diana Ross performed a concert in New York’s Central Park. A show the night before had been rained out.

In 1996, the parents of a teenage murder victim sued the band Slayer. The suit contended that the band’s lyrics were “satanic” and inspired three teen-age boys to rape, torture and stab the girl to death. The lawsuit was later dismissed.

In 2005, country singer Mindy McCready attempted suicide at a hotel in Indian Rocks Beach, Florida. She died by suicide in 2013.

Today’s Birthdays: Actress Louise Fletcher is 86. Singer Chuck Jackson is 83. Actor Terence Stamp is 82. Game show host Alex Trebek is 80. Singer George Clinton is 79. Singer-actor Bobby Sherman is 77. Actor Danny Glover is 74. Writer-director Paul Schrader is 74. Singer Don Henley is 73. Actor-comedian-director Albert Brooks is 73. Composer Alan Menken (“Little Mermaid,” ″Little Shop of Horrors”) is 71. Singer-actress Lonette McKee (“The Women of Brewster Place”) is 67. Musician Al Di Meola is 66. Actor Willem Dafoe is 65. Actor John Leguizamo (leh-goo-ZAH’-moh) is 60. Singer Keith Sweat is 59. Singer Emily Saliers (SAYL’-yers) of the Indigo Girls is 57. Actor-comedian David Spade is 56. Actor Patrick Labyorteaux (LAH’-bor-toh) (“JAG,” “Little House on the Prairie”) is 55. Bassist Pat Badger of Extreme is 53. Actress Irene Bedard (“Pocahontas”) is 53. Actor Rhys Ifans (EYE’-fanz) (“Elementary,” ″Notting Hill”) is 53. Actor-singer Jaime Camil (“Jane the Virgin”) is 47. Musician Daniel Jones (Savage Garden) is 47. Singer Rufus Wainwright is 47. Actress Franka Potente (poh-TEN’-tay) (“The Bourne Identity”) is 46. Actress Parisa Fitz-Henley (“Jessica Jones,” “Midnight, Texas”) is 43. Actress A.J. Cook (“Criminal Minds”) is 42. Actor Keegan Allen (“Pretty Little Liars”) is 33. Singer-actress Selena Gomez is 28.

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #239 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 7:30pm
56 years ago today: 12x5!  © David Bailey

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #240 - Oct 17th, 2020 at 7:31pm
46 years ago today: IORR!  © Guy Peellaert

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #241 - Dec 6th, 2020 at 9:12am
343: Greek Bishop St Nicholas, model for the modern day Father Christmas, dies aged 73.

1240: Mongols under Batu Khan occupy and destroy Kiev – out of 50,000 people in the city only 2,000 survive.

1421: Henry VI is born in Windsor Castle.

1534: Quito, Ecuador, is founded by the Spanish.

1735: The first recorded appendectomy is performed by Claudius Amyand at St George’s Hospital in London.

1745: Bonny Prince Charlie’s army of Jacobites retreats to Scotland.

1768: The first edition of “Encyclopedia Brittanica” is published in Scotland.

1841: Robert Schumann’s 4th Symphony in D premieres.

1865: The 13th Amendment of the United States constitution is ratified, abolishing slavery.

1877: Inventor Thomas Edison records himself reciting “Mary Had A Little Lamb”.

1882: Novelist Anthony Trollope dies aged 67.

1896: Lyricist Ira Gershwin is born in New York.

1897: London becomes the world’s first city to have licensed taxicabs.

1906: The British grant Transvaal self-government.

1914: German troops overrun Lodz in Poland.

1916: The Central Powers under General Mackensen capture Bucharest.

1917: French munition ship “Mont Blanc” explodes in Halifax, Canada killing 1,700. On the same day, taking advantage of the temporary relaxation of authority in Russia, Finland declares itself a republic.

1921: The Anglo-Irish Treaty is signed. Ireland receives dominion status and partition creates Northern Ireland.

1923: Calvin Coolidge makes the first US Presidential address to be broadcast on radio.

1929: Turkey introduces female suffrage.

1941: Dutch and British pilots see the Japanese invasion fleet at Singapore.

1949: Blues artist, Leadbelly (Huddie William Ledbetter) dies aged 64.

1956: Nelson Mandela and 156 others are arrested for political activities in South Africa.

1957:The first US attempt to launch a satellite fails when the Vanguard rocket blows up.

1961: The Beatles – John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Pete Best, meet with Brian Epstein for further discussions about his proposal to manage them. Lennon accepts on the band’s behalf.

1962: Thick fog, which has been affecting public health across London begins to spread across the country. On the same day, Bob Dylan recorded A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall and versions of Hero Blues, Whatcha Gonna Do, Oxford Town and I Shall Be Free, at Studio A, Columbia Recording Studios in New York City. Also, James Bond actor Sean Connery marries actress Diane Cilento on Gibraltar.

1965: The Rolling Stones record 19th Nervous Breakdown and Mother’s Little Helper at RCA’s Hollywood Studios in Los Angeles.

1969: The Rolling Stones headline a chaotic free festival at Altamont Speedway in Califormia. Hell’s Angels hired as security continually wade violently into the 300,000-strong crowd – one of them knocking out Jefferson Airplane singer Marty Balin when he remonstrates with them during the band’s set and audience member Meredith Hunter is stabbed to death in front of The Stones as they played. There were four deaths in total and the event is seen as the end of the flower power era.

1971: A woman dies trying to salvage property from the Salvation Army Citadel in Belfast after a bomb starts a large fire in an adjoining building.

1973: Gerald Ford is sworn-in as the first unelected Vice President, succeeding Spiro Agnew.

1975: Three armed IRA men on the run from police burst into a flat in Balcombe Street central London, holding couple John and Sheila Matthew hostage for six days. The “Balcombe Street Gang” – Martin O’Connell, Edward Butler, Harry Duggan and Hugh Doherty, were jailed for life but later freed under the terms of the Good Friday agreement.

1977: South Africa grants Bophuthatswana independence.

1978: Sid Vicious of The Sex Pistols smashes a glass in the face of Patti Smith’s brother Todd during a fight at New York City club Hurrah.

1982: 11 British soldiers and six civilians are killed by an Irish National Liberation Army (INLA) time bomb at the Droppin’ Well Bar in Ballykelly, Co Londonderry.

1983: Surgeons successfully complete the first heart and lung transplant operation to be performed in Britain at Harefield Hospital in north London.

1988: Nelson Mandela is transferred to Victor Vester Prison, Capetown. On the same day, singer-songwriter Roy Orbison dies of a heart attack aged 52.

1990: Saddam Hussein announces the release of all foreign hostages.

1992: A 200,000-strong crowd of Hindu militants tears apart a mosque in Ayodhya, northern India.

1994: The Queen gives the go ahead for oil drilling to take place in the grounds of Windsor Castle.

2003: Elvis Costello marries jazz artist Diana Krall in a ceremony at Elton John’s mansion in the UK.

2005: David Cameron beats David Davis to become leader of the Conservative Party.

2006: NASA reveals photographs taken by the Mars Global Surveyor suggest the presence of liquid water on Mars.

2008: US pin up Bettie Page, 85, is hospitalised in critical condition after suffering a heart attack.

2011: Singer Dobie Gray dies from complications of cancer surgery in Nashville at the age of 71.

2013: The Fender Stratocaster played by Bob Dylan at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival was sold at auction in New York for a record $965,000. On the same day, jazz pianist Stan Tracey dies aged 86.

2017: US President Donald Trump officially recognises Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, announcing plans to move US embassy there.

2018: Singer-songwriter and guitarist Pete Shelley of The Buzzcocks dies in Estonia of a heart attack aged 63. On the same day, Luxembourg is the first country to make all public transport free.

BIRTHDAYS: JoBeth Williams, actress, 72; Gerry Francis, footballer, 69; Steven Wright, comedian, 65; Rick Buckler, drummer (The Jam) 65; Peter Buck, guitarist (REM), 64; Nick Park, animator, 62; Dave Lovering, drummer (Pixies) 59; Ben Watt, musician/songwriter (Everything But The Girl) 58; Noel Clarke, actor/writer, 45; Andrew Flintoff, cricketer/TV personality, 43; Tim Cahill, footballer, 41; Alberto Contador, cyclist, 38;

https://www.yellowad.co.uk/it-happened-today-this-day-in-history-december-6-2/
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2020 at 9:16am by Edith Grove »  

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #242 - Dec 6th, 2020 at 11:06am
and in 1968 Beggars Banquet was released

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #243 - Dec 6th, 2020 at 11:41am
50 years ago the film "Gimme Shelter" was released

‘Gimme Shelter’ at 50: How The Rolling Stones Got Conquered By America

Rob Sheffield on how Mick, Keef, and the gang gave the world the ultimate rock & roll horror movie
By ROB SHEFFIELD

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-features/gimme-shelter-50th-anniversar...
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2020 at 11:52am by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #244 - Dec 6th, 2020 at 11:43am
and LOL 55 years and two days ago this gem was released, the day after The Who debut album "My Generation" and the Beatles "Rubber Soul"

we even had a header for this one

55 years ago today! © Gered Mankowitz

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #245 - Jan 20th, 2021 at 10:43pm
49 years ago

Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, January 21, 1972: Chuck Berry was the opening act for Black Oak Arkansas, Keith appeared as a surprise guest during Chuck's set and Chuck kicked Keith off the stage LOL  (unbelievable  but true... Two emblematic rock heroes opening for a good band who didn’t pass the "history test"; today Black Oak Arkansas is a cult act, I like their music and saw them live three times, but NOT at the level of Keith or Chuck and here was the opening act)

49 years ago today... Chuck Berry kicked Keith Richards off the stage! Hollywood Palladium - January 21, 1972 ©  Michael Ochs

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #246 - Jan 26th, 2021 at 11:27pm
Happy Birthday Eddie Van Halen  You rock! Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #247 - Feb 12th, 2021 at 10:18am
Today in 1967, police raided the English country home of Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards in a search for drugs. Singer Mick Jagger was there at the time. They were charged three months later.

IP Logged

CS
Rocks Off Regular

Hell
Reply #248 - Mar 26th, 2021 at 6:58pm
On This Day In 1965 The Rolling Stones Got The Shock Of Their Lives
By Jeff K
Mar 26, 2021

It was on this day In 1965, when members of The Rolling Stones, including Mick Jagger, Bill Wyman and Brian Jones all got electric shocks from faulty microphones during a gig in Denmark. Wyman was hurt so bad by the 220-volt shock he was unconscious for a few minutes. Full details are scarce but there are photos of Wyman knocked out on the floor, and Jagger upset and scared.

https://937theriver.iheart.com/content/2021-03-26-on-this-day-in-1965-the-rollin...

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #249 - Apr 17th, 2021 at 1:26pm
Lick the image to lisetn
55 years ago today in the UK © The Rolling Stones (well, not exactly), picture by Guy Webster

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)