Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Today in Rock - Stones related (Read 156,102 times)
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Re: Day in Rock - Stones related
Reply #150 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 8:45pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
mojoman wrote on Apr 16th, 2014 at 5:23pm:
Edith Grove wrote on Apr 16th, 2014 at 5:42am:
50 YEARS AGO TODAY THE STONES RELEASE THEIR FIRST ALBUM

Today in History for Wednesday, April 16, 2014

By - The Associated Press

■ On April 16, 1964, The Rolling Stones’ first album, eponymously titled “The Rolling Stones,” was released in the United Kingdom by Decca Records (a slightly different version debuted in the United States a month and a half later).

happy birthday!!
fifty and counting!!

Wrong date!!! The first album was released in the UK on April 26, 1964 Decca LK 4605

In fact I have in my calendar a reminder for this date to put a header commemorating such a significant date in the history of music

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #151 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 9:13pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Apr 16th, 2014 at 8:45pm:
mojoman wrote on Apr 16th, 2014 at 5:23pm:
Edith Grove wrote on Apr 16th, 2014 at 5:42am:
50 YEARS AGO TODAY THE STONES RELEASE THEIR FIRST ALBUM

Today in History for Wednesday, April 16, 2014

By - The Associated Press

■ On April 16, 1964, The Rolling Stones’ first album, eponymously titled “The Rolling Stones,” was released in the United Kingdom by Decca Records (a slightly different version debuted in the United States a month and a half later).

happy birthday!!
fifty and counting!!

Wrong date!!! The first album was released in the UK on April 26, 1964 Decca LK 4605

In fact I have in my calendar a reminder for this date to put a header commemorating such a significant date in the history of music

Oh, what's ten days ?

It's only rock-n-roll!  smoking more weed is good for your health

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #152 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 9:36pm
Edith Grove wrote on Apr 16th, 2014 at 9:13pm:
Oh, what's ten days ?

It's only rock-n-roll!  smoking more weed is good for your health

It depends...

Boss: WTF you have two weeks absent
Employee: Oh, what's ten days ?

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #153 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 10:37pm
Ok Boys which is it?
Today the 16th or the 26th?

« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2014 at 11:00pm by Kilroy »  

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #154 - Apr 26th, 2014 at 7:25pm
Today 50 years ago the first álbum is released in the UK, Decca LK 4605 April 26, 1964

A real highlight in music history you B&B

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #155 - Apr 26th, 2014 at 7:48pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Apr 26th, 2014 at 7:25pm:
Today 50 years ago the first álbum is released in the UK, Decca LK 4605 April 26, 1964

A real highlight in music history you B&B

long live the stones!!

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #156 - Apr 26th, 2014 at 9:09pm
any chance to get a scan of the back of the LP?

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #157 - May 6th, 2014 at 5:10am
Today in entertainment history: May 6

1965: Guitarist Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones came up with the riff that formed the foundation of the song “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction.” He was staying at a motel in Clearwater, Florida, at the time.

1971: Ike and Tina Turner received their only gold single, for their version of “Proud Mary.”

1977: Led Zeppelin broke their own world record for largest audience at a single-act concert when they attracted over 76,000 fans to the Silverdome in Pontiac, Michigan.

1991:A judge in Macon, Georgia, threw out a lawsuit claiming that Ozzy Osbourne’s music drove a 16-year-old boy to suicide. The parents of Michael Waller alleged that their son listened repeatedly to Osbourne’s “Suicide Solution,” then shot himself.

1992: Whitney Houston announced her engagement to Bobby Brown, during her first TV special, “This Is My Life.”

2004: The last episode of “Friends” aired.

Today’s Birthdays: Singer Bob Seger is 69. Singer Jimmie Dale Gilmore is 69. Actor Alan Dale (“Lost,” ”Ugly Betty”) is 67. Actor Ben Masters (“Passions”) is 67. Host Tom Bergeron (“Dancing with the Stars,” new “Hollywood Squares”) is 59. Singer John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants is 54. Actress Roma Downey (“Touched by an Angel”) is 54. Actor George Clooney is 53. Singer-bassist Tony Scalzo of Fastball is 50. Guitarist Mark Bryan of Hootie and the Blowfish is 47. Guitarist Chris Shiflett of Foo Fighters is 43. Actress Gabourey Sidibe (“Precious”) is 31. Comedian Sasheer Zamata (“Saturday Night Live”) is 28.

Tags: entertainment history, may 6
Story © 2014 Associated Press - Images © 2014 Associated Press
- See more at: http://kgmi.com/news/030030-today-in-entertainment-history-may-6/#sthash.MFgSbxm...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #158 - May 12th, 2014 at 10:37am
On this Day May 12, 1968 Brian Jones made his final live appearance with The Rolling Stones when they appeared at the New Musical Express Poll Winners Concert at the Empire Pool, Wembley, England.

On this Day May 12, 1968 Jimi Hendrix was arrested by police on his way to Toronto for possession of hashish and heroin. Hendrix claimed the drugs had been planted on him.

On this Day May 12, 1973 Led Zeppelin started a three-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with their fifth album Houses Of The Holy. The group's third US No.1 album went on to spend 39 weeks on the US chart. Houses Of The Holy has now been certified 11 times Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for US sales in excess of 11 million copies.

On this Day May 12, 2008  Singer-songwriter Neil Young had a spider named after him. US university biologist Jason Bond discovered a new species of trapdoor spider and decided to name it after his favourite musician. Myrmekiaphila neilyoungi was found in Jefferson County, Alabama, in 2007  LOL

http://www.basinsradio.com/On-This-Day-in-Classic-Rock-History-/18282348?pid=400...
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2014 at 10:39am by Edith Grove »  

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #159 - May 12th, 2014 at 11:12am
Edith Grove wrote on May 12th, 2014 at 10:37am:
On this Day May 12, 1968 Brian Jones made his final live appearance with The Rolling Stones when they appeared at the New Musical Express Poll Winners Concert at the Empire Pool, Wembley, England.

On this Day May 12, 1968 Jimi Hendrix was arrested by police on his way to Toronto for possession of hashish and heroin. Hendrix claimed the drugs had been planted on him.

On this Day May 12, 1973 Led Zeppelin started a three-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with their fifth album Houses Of The Holy. The group's third US No.1 album went on to spend 39 weeks on the US chart. Houses Of The Holy has now been certified 11 times Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for US sales in excess of 11 million copies.

On this Day May 12, 2008  Singer-songwriter Neil Young had a spider named after him. US university biologist Jason Bond discovered a new species of trapdoor spider and decided to name it after his favourite musician. Myrmekiaphila neilyoungi was found in Jefferson County, Alabama, in 2007  LOL

http://www.basinsradio.com/On-This-Day-in-Classic-Rock-History-/18282348?pid=400...

mick married?

http://youtu.be/0lNEPvmzugM

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #160 - May 12th, 2014 at 11:25am
mojoman wrote on May 12th, 2014 at 11:12am:
mick married?

That don't hold a candle next to Neil Young getting a trapdoor spider named after him.  Blank Frigging Stare

IP Logged

Tom
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

US
Reply #161 - Jun 3rd, 2014 at 7:49am
25 Years Ago: Bill Wyman Marries 18-Year-Old Mandy Smith

by Ken KelleyJune 2, 2014 12:02 PM

Bill Wyman spent almost three decades as the bassist for the Rolling Stones before leaving the group in the early-’90s, playing on their most celebrated albums and songs. Suffice to say that he never generated as many headlines for his mastery of the bass as he did when the-then 52-year old Wyman married 18-year old Mandy Smith on June 2, 1989.

‘It was kept from the press and strangers, of course,” Smith said in a 2010 interview. “For the first couple of years, I had to lie. If we were out in a club, I’d have to say I was doing a secretarial course. When it actually came out, I was 16, so I suppose it wasn’t as bad. Although it was still bad. All hell broke loose.”

It was reportedly at London’s Lyceum Ballroom where Wyman first laid eyes on Smith. She was 13 years old at the time; Wyman was 47. Wyman said that Smith made him feel as though he had been “whacked over the head with a hammer.”

Wyman helped Smith find work as a professional model. The two began spending time together, which led to dating. Despite the obvious age difference and Wyman’s reputation as being a serial womanizer, Smith’s mother reportedly supported the relationship.

The couple kept their relationship a secret for two-and-a-half years before making it official in a civil ceremony, then going on Terry Wogan’s television show shortly after. It was Wyman’s second marriage. His first, to Diane Cory, ended in 1969 after 10 years together.

Not long after the wedding bells had rung for Smith and Wyman, the wheels began coming off of the marriage. Smith’s mother reportedly joined the newlyweds on their honeymoon, and the scrutiny cast upon the couple was undoubtedly tough as well. They separated in 1991 and the divorce was finalized two years later, with Smith receiving a £580,000 payout.

For his part, Wyman defended his relationship with Smith, stating, “It was very emotional and special at the time. It wasn’t how it was reported to be and it was the only time it ever  happened in my life. A lot of people understood, but a lot didn’t, and the media certainly didn’t. They treated me like crap.”

Bill Wyman’s current spouse Suzanne Accosta and their three children are understandably not fond of bringing up Wyman’s marriage to Smith. However, the spotlight was cast upon the unlikely couple again in March 2013 after Smith claimed that she and Wyman had sex when she was 14 years old. Her sister responded by calling for the former Stone to be prosecuted. Wyman reportedly approached police over the claims that he had sex with a minor but was told police were not interested in speaking with him.

“I went to the police and I went to the public prosecutor and said, ‘Do you want to talk to me? Do you want to meet up with me, or anything like that?’ and I got a message back, ‘No,’” Wyman said. “I was totally open about it.”

These days, Wyman is still enjoying being retired from the Stones, although he did return to the stage in London in November 2012 to perform with the band. Last May, Wyman vowed that such a reunion would not happen again, voicing his disappointment regarding his limited stage time with the group during the aforementioned London show.

Mandy Smith turns 44 this year. In her 2010 interview with the Daily Mail, Smith shared that she was born-again in 2005, claiming her rediscovery of religion played a part in saving her life. “God is the only man in my life now,” Smith said.

Perhaps not surprisingly, Wyman and Smith are no longer in contact with each other. But just prior to the couple being divorced in 1993, things between the Wyman and Smith families took a bit of a left turn when Bill Wyman’s oldest son Stephen announced his engagement to Mandy Smith’s mother, Patsy. That couple’s marriage reportedly lasted two years, until their divorce in 1995

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #162 - Jun 4th, 2014 at 7:42pm
Perhaps not surprisingly, Wyman and Smith are no longer in contact with each other. But just prior to the couple being divorced in 1993, things between the Wyman and Smith families took a bit of a left turn when Bill Wyman’s oldest son Stephen announced his engagement to Mandy Smith’s mother, Patsy. That couple’s marriage reportedly lasted two years, until their divorce in 1995
That still boggles my mind!

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #163 - Jan 17th, 2015 at 6:39am
Today in Music History for Jan. 17:

In 1927, sultry nightclub singer Eartha Kitt was born in Columbia, S.C. Her real birth date wasn't known until 1997, when students at Benedict College in Columbia tracked down her birth certificate. She had picked her own birth date, Jan. 26, because she was adopted at age six when her mother died and did not know her father. She began her professional career in the troupe of famed dancer Katherine Dunham, with whom Kitt toured Europe and Mexico. Within a year, she was headlining at top European clubs with her singing and dancing. She also starred in three films in France. She returned to the U.S. in the early 1950s, playing such famous nightspots as the Village Vanguard in New York and the Mocambo in Los Angeles. She is best known for her 1953 recordings of "C'est Si Bon" and "Santa Baby." She died on Dec. 25, 2008.

In 1946, rock guitarist Domenic Troiano was born in Modugno, Italy, and became a naturalized Canadian in 1955. He catapulted to the top of the Canadian music scene in the 1960s, his impressive skill with the guitar landing him integral roles with bands such as "The Mandala," "Bush," "The James Gang" and "The Guess Who." It was dedication to his craft that earned him a spot in the Canadian Music Hall of Fame and inspired many of Canada's musicians. He died on May 25, 2005 after a 10-year battle with cancer.

In 1948, Mick Taylor, one of the great slide guitarists in rock music, was born in Welwyn Garden City, England. He left school at 15 and taught himself guitar, playing in a local group called "The Gods." Taylor sat in for Eric Clapton when Clapton missed a gig with "John Mayall's Bluesbreakers." Taylor later joined Mayall's group when Clapton left permanently. Taylor's playing on John Mayall's "Bare Wires" album led to him being selected to replace the deceased Brian Jones in "The Rolling Stones" in 1969. His highlight with "The Stones" is the album "Exile on Main Street." Mick Taylor left "The Stones" in 1974, played briefly with a band led by Jack Bruce, then began a solo career in '79.

In 1965, "The Rolling Stones" recorded "The Last Time" and "Play With Fire" in Los Angeles.

In 1966, Simon and Garfunkel released "Sounds of Silence."

In 1970, soul singer Billy Stewart and three members of his band died in a car accident in North Carolina. Stewart, who was only 32 when he died, had started as a member of "The Rainbows," who had a hit in 1955 with "Mary Lee." Also in the group with Stewart were future stars Marvin Gaye and Don Covay. Billy Stewart had 11 records that made the Billboard Hot 100 chart. His biggest hit was "Summertime," which made the top-10 in 1966.

In 1972, Elvis Presley Boulevard was dedicated in Memphis, Tenn. It was formerly part of Highway 51 South. The boulevard runs in front of Graceland.

In 1974, Dean Martin's son Dino, of "Dino, Desi and Billy," was arrested after police claimed he had attempted to sell a machinegun to an undercover agent. He was released on bail the next day.

In 1977, "The Marshall Tucker Band" and "The Charlie Daniels Band" headlined a benefit concert for Scooter Herring, an ex-roadie for "The Allman Brothers Band." Herring was facing a cocaine trafficking conviction based, in part, on testimony from Greg Allman. It was Allman's move to give evidence that caused the break-up of "The Allman Brothers Band." Herring was sentenced to 75 years in prison.

In 1979, Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris and Dolly Parton announced they would record together. They didn't get around to it until 1986. The result was the best-selling "Trio" album.

In 1981, heavy metal rockers "Motley Crue" performed together for the first time.

In 1985, the groups "Alabama" and "The Commodores" received achievement awards from Alabama Governor George Wallace.

In 1986, Apple Computers made a $200,000 donation to charity as the price for getting "Huey Lewis and the News" to play at the company's 10th anniversary party.

In 1989, Chuck Berry sued "High Society" magazine for $10 million after it published nude photographs of him. Berry said the photos were stolen from his office in St. Louis. He told reporters he had taken photos of himself and his female companions over the past 30 years in case the women tried to defame him.

In 1990, "The Four Seasons," "The Four Tops," "The Kinks," "The Platters," "Simon and Garfunkel" and "The Who" were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

In 1993, hundreds of thousands of people gathered in Washington for a free outdoor concert that was staged as part of the Presidential inaugural festivities. Performers included Michael Bolton and Aretha Franklin.

In 1994, two former child stars -- Donny Osmond and Danny Bonaduce of "The Partridge Family" -- slugged it out in a three-round charity boxing match in Chicago. The winner was Bonaduce, who bloodied Osmond's nose in the 2-1 decision. The match was set up after Osmond taunted Bonaduce at the gym where both men were working out.

In 1996, "Pink Floyd," David Bowie, "Gladys Knight and the Pips," "Jefferson Airplane," "The Shirelles," "Little Willie John and the Velvet Underground" were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

In 1997, Cliffie Stone, the country music executive credited with discovering Tennessee Ernie Ford, died at his home in Santa Clarita, Calif. He was 80. Stone was a pioneer in country music on the U.S. West Coast and his "Hometown Jamboree" radio and TV show was instrumental in developing the careers of Ford, Johnny Cash, Eddy Arnold, Jim Reeves and other country stars. From 1946 on, Stone was in charge of country music at Capitol Records and among those he signed to the label were Ford, Tex Williams, Hank Thompson and Merle Travis.

In 2001, "Metallica" announced bassist Jason Newsted had quit.

In 2011, Hamilton's Rita Chiarelli won the Blues With a Feeling Award for lifetime achievement at the Maple Blues Awards, while fellow Hamilton native Richard Newell — a.k.a. King Biscuit Boy — was recognized posthumously with a special lifetime achievement award as well. He died in 2003.

In 2011, rock promoter Don Kirshner, the man "Time" magazine once dubbed the "Man With the Golden Ear," died of heart failure at a Florida hospital where he was being treated for an infection. He was 76. He was behind the TV show "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert" in 1972, and gave national exposure to musicians including Billy Joel and "The Police." He also boosted the careers of comics, including Billy Crystal, Arsenio Hall and David Letterman.

In 2012, Johnny Otis, who made the 1958 R&B classic "Willie and the Hand Jive" and evangelized black music to white audiences as a bandleader and radio host, died in California at 90. He also wrote "Every Beat of My Heart," which was a hit for Gladys Knight and the Pips, and discovered such R&B artists such as Etta James and Big Mama Thornton.

http://www.mysask.com/portal/site/main/template.MAXIMIZE/?javax.portlet.tpst=264...

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #164 - Jan 17th, 2015 at 3:59pm
Edith Grove wrote on Jan 17th, 2015 at 6:39am:
In 1948, Mick Taylor, one of the great slide guitarists in rock music, was born in Welwyn Garden City, England. He left school at 15 and taught himself guitar, playing in a local group called "The Gods." Taylor sat in for Eric Clapton when Clapton missed a gig with "John Mayall's Bluesbreakers." Taylor later joined Mayall's group when Clapton left permanently. Taylor's playing on John Mayall's "Bare Wires" album led to him being selected to replace the deceased Brian Jones in "The Rolling Stones" in 1969. His highlight with "The Stones" is the album "Exile on Main Street." Mick Taylor left "The Stones" in 1974, played briefly with a band led by Jack Bruce, then began a solo career in '79.

Wrong year, it's not 1948, it's 1949, I'm sure he told me that in person when I booked him to play here

The origin of the wrong year was a British magazine in 1969 in a note about the Hyde Park show, since then a lot of sources have the wrong year

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #165 - Jan 19th, 2015 at 8:53pm

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #166 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 5:22am
Today in Music History - Feb. 24
The Canadian Press
Tue, 24 Feb 2015

Today in Music History for Feb. 24:

In 1897, Emile Berliner took out a Canadian patent on his gramophone talking machine. Manufacturing facilities were set up in Montreal. Berliner had built a crude model of his machine 10 years earlier at his home laboratory in Washington, D.C., and he applied for a U.S. patent on Sept. 26, 1887. Today the terms "gramophone" and "phonograph" mean the same thing. But in Berliner's day this was not so. "Gramophone" referred to a talking machine employing lateral-cut discs, while the "phonograph," invented by Thomas Edison, used vertical-cut cylinders. Berliner's discs eventually made Edison's cylinders obsolete.

In 1944, Nicky Hopkins, one of the foremost studio keyboard players in rock music, was born in London. He got his start with "Screamin' Lord Sutch's Savages" and "The Cyril Davies R&B All-Stars" -- two groups which included many soon-to-be-famous musicians. In 1964, Hopkins began working as a sessions player, recording with "The Beatles," "The Rolling Stones," "The Who" and other British bands. Hopkins was later a member of "The Jeff Beck Group" and "Quicksilver Messenger Service." He toured with "The Rolling Stones" in 1972. He was with the group "Night" for their 1979 hit single, "Hot Summer Nights." He died on Sept. 6, 1994, in Nashville of complications from abdominal and heart ailments.

In 1956, Cleveland, now the home of the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, invoked a 1931 law barring people under 18 from dancing publicly without an adult guardian.

In 1964, the Canadian music industry magazine "RPM" began publication in Toronto. "RPM" and its publisher, Walt Grealis, were major lobbyists for the Canadian content regulations imposed upon radio stations by the CRTC "RPM" also began the RPM Gold Leaf Awards in 1964 to honour Canadian talent. These awards later became known as the Junos, after then-CRTC chairman Pierre Juneau.

In 1969, "The Jimi Hendrix Experience" played their last concert at London's Royal Albert Hall. After the "Experience" broke up, Hendrix formed "Band of Gypsies."

In 1969, Johnny Cash recorded his second live prison performance, this one at San Quentin. It followed a concert the previous year at Folsom Prison. The LP "Johnny Cash at San Quentin" topped the Billboard pop and country charts.

In 1976, the "Eagles" "Greatest Hits" became the first LP in the U.S. to be certified platinum -- one-million copies sold.

In 1979, the "Sex Pistols" released the album "The Great Rock N' Roll Swindle."

In 1985, rock singer David Crosby bolted from a drug treatment centre during his first supervised exercise period. He was recaptured the next day.

In 1986, "The Rolling Stones" played a private gig at London's 100 Club in memory of pianist and sometime group member Ian Stewart, who had recently died.

In 1987, a spokeswoman for bandleader Lawrence Welk said some Welk fans who bought his "Polka Party" compact disc ended up with the punk rock soundtrack to the movie "Sid and Nancy." The CD's apparently were mislabelled at the factory in Japan.

In 1988, Peter Chatman, the blues pianist known as "Memphis Slim," died in Paris at the age of 72. Chatman wrote the standard "Every Day I Have the Blues," and helped spread blues music throughout the world.

In 1990, 1950s balladeer Johnnie Ray died in Los Angeles of liver failure at 63. He's known for his double-sided hit "Cry" and "The Little White Cloud That Cried."

In 1991, Webb Pierce, one of the biggest country stars of the 1950s and early '60s, died in Nashville at age 65.

In 1992, it was a marriage of lead vocalists as "Nirvana's" Kurt Cobain wed "Hole's" Courtney Love on a cliff overlooking a beach in Waikiki.

In 1992, Paula Abdul performed before 6,000 people in Guangzhou -- formerly Canton -- China, even though Chinese authorities had banned her album "Spellbound" for being too sexy.

In 1993, British rock legend Eric Clapton, who had been virtually ignored in the Grammy Awards for most of his career, won six Grammys, including the music industry's three major awards -- record, album and song of the year. Clapton was honoured for his album "Unplugged," and the song "Tears in Heaven." Clapton wrote it as a tribute to his young son Conor, who died in 1991 at the age of four when he fell out a window of Clapton's 53rd floor New York apartment.

In 1994, Dinah Shore, star of radio, TV, records and movies, died in Beverly Hills, Calif., of cancer. She was 76.

In 1998, Elton John became Sir Elton when he was knighted at Buckingham Palace by the Queen. John's recording of "Candle in the Wind 1997," the song he sang at Princess Diana's funeral in September of that year, had sold more than 35 million copies. John donated all proceeds to the Diana, Princess of Wales memorial fund.

In 1998, drummer Tommy Lee of "Motley Crue" was arrested for kicking his wife, actress Pamela Anderson Lee. She filed for divorce. He eventually served four months in prison.

In 1999, three Canadian singers won awards at the Grammys in Los Angeles. Celine Dion won best female pop vocal and record of the year for "My Heart Will Go On," Shania Twain won best country song and best country vocal performance for "You're Still the One" and Alanis Morissette took the best rock song award for "Uninvited."

In 1999, also at the Grammys, Lauryn Hill won five awards, including album of the year and best new artist, on the strength of her solo debut album, "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill."

In 2009, the "Barenaked Ladies" announced on their website that co-lead singer Steven Page had left the band to pursue solo projects including theatrical opportunities. Page had been the signature voice for the band, performing on hits including "One Week," "Brian Wilson," "If I Had $1,000,000" and "Jane." The news came months after drug charges against Page were dropped in the U.S.

In 2011, Suze Rotolo, the girl arm-in-arm with Bob Dylan on the 1963 album cover of "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan," died of lung cancer in New York at age 67. She was Dylan's girlfriend for three years and is credited with inspiring him to inject politics into his music.

In 2012, unable to fulfill a Facebook campaign to be his date to his June prom, country music crossover starlett Taylor Swift invited 18-year-old leukemia sufferer Kevin McGuire to be her date to the ACM award show in Las Vegas on April 1. He accepted.

In 2013, Adele won the Oscar for best original song for co-writing "Skyfall" (with Paul Epworth), a first for a James Bond theme song. Toronto composer Mychael Danna won best original score for his work on "Life of Pi." Anne Hathway won best supporting actress as Fantine in the movie musical "Les Miserables." Also, a film about a musician won best documentary, "Searching for Sugar Man," about Detroit singer-songwriter Rodriguez.

In 2014, Franny Beecher, lead guitarist for Bill Haley and the Comets, which helped kick off the rock and roll era with the hit "Rock Around the Clock" in 1955, died in a nursing home near Philadelphia. He was 92.

http://www.mysask.com/portal/site/main/template.MAXIMIZE/?javax.portlet.tpst=264...

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #167 - Feb 26th, 2015 at 11:23am
On February 26th, 1966, the Rolling Stones released the single "19th Nervous Breakdown."

In 1970, The Beatles album "Hey Jude" was released in the U.S. and Canada. It was made up of singles that were previously unavailable in the U.S.

In 1977, bluesman Bukka White, also known as Booker T. Washington, died in Memphis, Tennessee. He was 70. His guitar-playing influenced B.B. King and many others.

In 1986, Pulitzer Prize-winning poet and author Robert Penn Warren was named the first "poet laureate" of the U.S. by the Library of Congress.

In 1990, singer Cornell Gunter of The Coasters was found shot to death in Las Vegas. Authorities said he was found in his car, shot twice. Gunter had joined The Coasters in 1957.

In 1993, police in Augusta, Georgia, fined singer Bobby Brown $580 for pretending to have sex with one of his backup singers during a concert. She also was fined $580.

In 1998, a jury rejected a lawsuit filed by Texas cattlemen against Oprah Winfrey. The suit accused her of disparaging them on her talk show by implying U.S. beef was unsafe.

In 2004, Rosie O'Donnell and girlfriend Kelli Carpenter were married at City Hall in San Francisco. They have since split.

Today's Birthdays: Singer Fats Domino is 87. Guitarist Paul Cotton of Poco is 72. Actor-director Bill Duke is 72. Singer Mitch Ryder is 70. Keyboardist Jonathan Cain of Journey is 65. Singer Michael Bolton is 62. Actor Greg Germann ("Ally McBeal") is 57. Actress Jennifer Grant is 49. Bassist Tim Commerford (Audioslave, Rage Against The Machine) is 47. Singer Erykah Badu (AYR'-ih-kah BAH'-doo) is 44. R&B singer Rico Wade of Society of Soul is 43. Singer Kyle Norman of Jagged Edge is 40. Drummer Chris Culos of O.A.R. is 36. Singer Corinne Bailey Rae is 36. Singer Nate Ruess (ROOS) of fun. (Eds: Band's name is fun. -- lower case and period) is 33. Actress Taylor Dooley ("The Adventures of Shark Boy and a Lava Girl in 3-D") is 22.

http://www.knoe.com/home/headlines/Entertainment-History--On-February-26th-1966-...

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #168 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 2:22pm
February 27, 1977: Keith Richards was arrested at the Harbour Castle Hotel in Toronto, Canada on charges of possession of heroin for the purpose of trafficking. Keith was looking at a possible life sentence in a Canadian prison and rumors are circulating that The Stones are done. The charge was later reduced to simple possession of heroin. Keith was given a suspended sentence, probation for a year and orders to continue rehab. He was also ordered to perform a concert on behalf of a Canadian charity

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #169 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 5:18am
Today in Music History - March 4

The Canadian Press
Wed, 4 Mar 2015

Today in Music History for March 4:

In 1678, composer Antonio Vivaldi was born.

In 1948, Chris Squire, bass player with the group "Yes," was born in London. One of the most successful progressive rock bands of the 1970s, the group was hated by the critics and loved by the audiences. "The Yes Album," "Fragile" and "Close to the Edge" were all certified gold. "Yes" broke up in 1980 but reformed again in 1983. Chris Squire recorded a solo album, "Fish Out of Water," in 1975.

In 1966, musician John Lennon touched off an international protest when he was quoted in the London Evening Standard as saying "The Beatles" were "more popular than Jesus Christ." When the quote was widely reported in North America several months later, some protesters burned their "Beatles" records. Lennon later apologized for the remark. In April, 2010 the Vatican forgave Lennon, saying it was a thing of the past.

In 1966, "The Who" released the single "Substitute" on producer Robert Stigwood's Reaction Records in violation of their current deal with Brunswick Records in Britain.

In 1967, a British newspaper reported that brothers Steve and Muff Winwood were leaving "The Spencer Davis Group." Steve Winwood went on to form "Traffic."

In 1971, "The Rolling Stones" announced they were moving to France to avoid British income taxes.

In 1973, "Pink Floyd" began a U.S. tour in Wisconsin. The band was supporting the album, "Dark Side of the Moon."

In 1977, "The Rolling Stones" made a rare nightclub appearance at the El Mocambo in Toronto. The concert was advertised only as a performance by the opening act, the Canadian group "April Wine." The Stones' appearance was kept secret until the last minute. Recordings were made of both bands' performances, but only that of "April Wine" has been released.

In 1977, "Santana" played the Roseland Ballroom in New York City. What made the concert unique was the fact that it was advertised only in the Spanish-language media.

In 1980, "Coal Miner's Daughter," the film biography of country singer Loretta Lynn, premiered in Nashville. Lynn was played on screen by Sissy Spacek, who also did all the singing in the movie and won the best actress Oscar.

In 1986, a judge in New Jersey appointed a legal guardian for singer Connie Francis, who was in a psychiatric clinic for treatment of manic-depressive psychosis.

In 1986, Howard Greenfield, Neil Sedaka's longtime songwriting partner, died of AIDS at age 49.

In 1986, Richard Manuel, pianist for the rock group "The Band," was found hanged in the bathroom of his motel room in Winter Park, Fla. The 42-year-old Manuel, originally from Stratford, Ont., had performed with other members of "The Band" in Winter Park the previous night. "The Band" evolved from a group taken to Ontario in 1958 by Ronnie Hawkins. As "The Hawks," they worked with Hawkins during the early '60s. In 1965, the group moved to the U.S., where they became Bob Dylan's backing band. "The Band" released its first LP, "Music From the Big Pink," in 1968. They had a number of hit singles over the next eight years -- among them, "The Weight," "Up on Cripple Creek" and "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down." "The Band's" farewell concert took place in November, 1976 at the Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco, with a host of rock stars in attendance. The event was captured on film as "The Last Waltz."

In 1987, the world's first long-distance recording session took place as Stevie Wonder and Quincy Jones in Los Angeles teamed with a chorus in New York to overdub an anti-drug song, "Stop, Don't Pass Go."

In 1990, David Bowie kicked off his "Sound and Vision" world tour in Quebec City.

In 1992, rock 'n' roll recording pioneer Al Silver died in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., at age 78.

In 1993, a girl was born to singers Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown. Bobbi Kristina was Houston's first child and Brown's fourth.

In 1993, country star Clint Black played four shows for U.S. troops serving in Somalia.

In 1993, singer Patti LaBelle got a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

In 1994, producers Chris and Bob Herbert placed an ad in a British magazine for female singers who can dance. Nearly 400 auditioned, and five were chosen for a group that became the "Spice Girls."

In 1994, "Nirvana" lead singer Kurt Cobain went into a coma in Rome after an overdose of powerful sedatives combined with alcohol. At the time, the overdose was reported to be accidental. But after Cobain committed suicide at his Seattle home a month later, the Rome incident was revealed to be a suicide attempt, complete with a note.

In 1995, Canadian classical guitarist Liona Boyd played a one-hour concert in Los Angeles for the sequestered jurors and deputy sheriffs in the O.J. Simpson murder trial.

In 1996, Paul McCartney announced that the three surviving members of "The Beatles" had turned down a $225 million offer for a world tour.

In 1996, Minnie Pearl, the first country comedian to become world-famous, died in Nashville of complications from a stroke. She was 83. Pearl, whose real name was Sarah Cannon, spent more than 50 years on the Grand Ole Opry and 20 on the TV show "Hee-Haw."

In 1997, fans lined up at record stores in Canada and the U.S. to buy "U2's" ninth full-length album, "Pop." Some stores opened as early as midnight.

In 1999, Eddie Dean, a singing cowboy in the 1930s and '40s, died in Newhall, Calif., at the age of 91.

In 2001, Nelly Furtado was the big winner at the 30th Juno Awards Show in Hamilton. She won for best single ("I'm Like a Bird"), best new solo artist, best producer and best songwriter. The ceremony also saw Bruce Cockburn inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame.

In 2001, singer Glenn Hughes, the mustachioed, leather-clad biker in the 1970s and '80s disco group "The Village People," died of lung cancer. He was 50.

In 2011, singer Johnny Preston died in a hospital in Beaumont, Texas, at the age of 71. He had bypass surgery in 2010 and suffered from lingering health problems. He was discovered by The Big Bopper, who wrote and produced Preston's 1960 No. 1 hit "Running Bear."

In 2013, Fran Warren, whose 1947 recording of "A Sunday Kind of Love" was one of the classic hits of the big band era, died of natural causes at her home in Brookfield, Conn., on her 87th birthday. Her career spanned more than 50 years with hits that included the Tony Martin duet "I Said My Pajamas (and Put On My Prayers)," the Lisa Kirk duet "Dearie" and "It's Anybody's Heart."

----

(The Canadian Press)

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #170 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 7:43am
El Mocambo! Great shows, the best parts on "Love you Live"

Live debut of Crazy Mama, Melody, Mannish Boy and Worried About You as well as the last live performances of Crackin' Up and Dance Little Sister
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2015 at 7:45am by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #171 - Mar 10th, 2015 at 5:44am

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #172 - Jun 14th, 2015 at 7:26pm

Not Fade Away
Talkin about You
I Wanna Be Your Man
Hi Heel Sneaker
Route 66
Walkin The Dog
Tell Me
Beautiful Delilah
Can I Get A Witness
I Just Want To Make Love To You
I'm Alright
It would be great to hear them recreate this!
http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/detroit/index.ssf/2015/06/june_14_1964_setlis...
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2015 at 7:53pm by Kilroy »  

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #173 - Jun 15th, 2015 at 5:37pm
Rolling Stones - Luxury - Buffalo - June 15, 1975
https://youtu.be/2bdXr1idvDQ

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #174 - Jun 27th, 2015 at 12:42pm
June 27th, 1967 - Mick Jagger is arrested for possession of drugs found in his jacket at a party hosted by Keith Richards. He was issued prison number 7856 and held overnight at Lewes Jail in England. While staying the night he requested books on Tibet and modern art, plus two packs of cigarettes.

June 28th, 1977 – Elton John achieved a lifelong ambition when he became the Chairman of the Watford Football Club, a professional the real football club based in Hertfordshire, England.

June 29th, 1984 – Bruce Springsteen kicks off the first leg of his ‘Born in the USA’ Tour. The first set of shows are in St. Paul, Minnesota at the Civic Center. Springsteen will go on to play 156 shows ending a year later, October 15th, 1985 in L.A.

June 30th, 1966 – The Supremes record ‘You Keep Me Hangin’ On’. This song would become their 8th number-one single later in the year when it topped the Billboard Hot 100 pop singles chart for two weeks in November.

July 1st, 1983 – A New Jersey based band called Bon Jovi signs to Phonogram’s Mercury records. To this day they have released 11 studio albums, sold 130 million records worldwide, played 2,600 concerts in over 50 countries plus Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora were inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2009.

July 2nd, 1971 – Queen plays their first gig today when they appear at Surrey College in England. The line-up was Freddie Mercury, Brian May, Roger Taylor and John Deacon.

July 3rd, 1982 - The Human League starts a three week run at No.1 on the singles charts with ‘Don’t You Want Me’, also a No.1 in the UK.

Read More: This Week in Music History | http://nj1015.com/this-week-in-music-history-51/?trackback=tsmclip

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)