Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Today in Rock - Stones related (Read 156,098 times)
sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Re: Day in Rock - Stones related
Reply #125 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 6:59pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #126 - Aug 2nd, 2012 at 11:12pm
August 3rd 1926
Tony Bennett
"This is a great CD"
Stones Related:
During his recent (Jan 2012) visit to Studio Q, Tony Bennett reflects ... She was loved by...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWHRrkxTZG4
Now Blow out the candles in San Francisco!
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2012 at 12:01am by Kilroy »  

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #127 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 12:21pm
August 4th 1939
Francis Guzzo Frankie Ford "Sea Cruise"
"New Orleans Dynamo"
Stones Connection:
Now Blow Out the Candle

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #128 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 1:14pm

August 5th 1947
Richard Zehringer Rick Derringer
Stones Connection:
One of the first opportunities for everyone to see the McCoys play 'live' came when they opened for them on their 1966 American Tour.
Now Blow Out The Candles

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #129 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 2:00pm
August 6th 1965
Beatles Release The Album "Help"
Side One
"Help!"
"The Night Before"
"You've Got to Hide Your Love Away"
"I Need You"
"Another Girl"
"You're Going to Lose That Girl"
"Ticket to Ride"
Side two
"Act Naturally"
"It's Only Love"
"You Like Me Too Much"
"Tell Me What You See"
"I've Just Seen a Face"
"Yesterday"
"Dizzy Miss Lizzy"
Stones Connection:
#1 Week of July 10th Thru July 31st (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
than "I'm Henry The VIII, I Am week of August 7th
Than I Got You Babe week of August 14 21 28
Than Help!
Eve Of Destruction and Than Rick Derringer's  Band "Hang On Sloopy"
Knocked out by "Yesterday"
Knocked out by The Stones "Get Off My Cloud"
What a great year for Music!
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2012 at 2:01pm by Kilroy »  

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #130 - Aug 4th, 2012 at 2:37pm
August 7th
Mata Hari 1876-1917 The Perfect Spy
Billie Burke 1884-1970 The Perfect Good Witch
Don Larsen 1929 The Perfect Game
Carl Alfalfa Switzer 1927-1959 The Perfect Our Gang Member
Stones Connection:
The Perfect Band!
Now Blow out the Candles!

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #131 - Aug 23rd, 2012 at 9:02am
Born August 23rd 1946 September 7 1978
The Greatest Drummer Of My time.............
Keith John Moon/Moon The Loon

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #132 - Sep 12th, 2013 at 6:13am
40 YEARS AGO: THE ROLLING STONES’ ‘STAR STAR’ GETS BANNED BY THE BBC
by Dave Lifton September 10, 2013 11:57 AM

Fin Costello, Getty Images

On Sept. 10, 1973, the Rolling Stones broke a 10-year history of clean, upstanding living when the BBC announced that ‘Star Star,’ a song off their then-new album ‘Goats Head Soup,’ was banned on account of its obscene lyrics.

The Chuck Berry-styled rocker deals with a woman for whom Mick Jagger is just another celebrity notch on her presumably rhinestone-studded belt. Written as “Starf—er,’ its name was changed at the behest of Atlantic Records chief Ahmet Ertegun. However, the chorus, which features Jagger repeatedly calling the woman by the slur in the original title.

As if the lyrics weren’t direct enough, Jagger drove the point home in concert. During the performance of that song on the 1975 tour, a giant inflatable penis would appear on the stage, which Jagger would ride.

Another source of controversy was in the final verse, where Jagger hears rumors about her sexual activity with actor Steve McQueen, and that she had her eyes set on Hollywood legend John Wayne. Perhaps the latter was a bit too iconoclastic. In the live version from 1978 embedded below, Jagger changes the lyric to take a shot at a fellow rocker. “Jimmy Page / Was quite a rage / I could not see the reason why.”

Despite being banned by the BBC, it was nonetheless released as a single in more permissive European countries like Germany and France.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rolling-stones-star-star-banned/

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #133 - Sep 15th, 2013 at 10:31pm
Thank you for finding this thread and bring it back to Life!

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #134 - Sep 16th, 2013 at 8:07pm
September 16th 1977 - Marc Bolan, rock vocalist/guitarist (T Rex), dies in a car crash at 29
From The Indepentdent
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/mystery-of-marc-bolan...
Mystery of Marc Bolan's death solved
On the 35th anniversary of the glam rock star's death in a car accident, an eyewitness reveals what happened
The death of Marc Bolan has its own legend. Fans from around the world have converged on the tree in south-west London where the glam rock star drew his last breath 35 years ago today. Now, however, it has been revealed the legend was wrong.

For the first time, an eyewitness to the devastation of the car crash that killed the rock star tells her story to a national newspaper. Vicky Aram, 77, a former nightclub singer, was invited back from a party by Bolan, his girlfriend Gloria Jones and Jones's brother Richard to discuss musical projects. Following them in a separate car, Ms Aram was at the scene seconds after the impact.

It was thought Bolan was killed when his car hit the now much-beribboned sycamore tree. He was, in fact, killed when his Mini hit a steel-reinforced fence post. Where previously he had been thought to have been crushed to death in the car, a new book reveals he suffered a horrific head injury from an eye bolt in the fence. The book also reveals that the tree so despised by fans actually prevented the car from sliding down an embankment and causing an even worse tragedy.

The revelations come in a new biography, published this weekend, Ride a White Swan: The Lives and Death of Marc Bolan written by the journalist Lesley-Ann Jones.

Speaking to The Independent on Sunday this weekend, Ms Aram described how she was driving just seconds behind Bolan on the ill-fated night: "As I came over the bridge with Richard [Jones] beside me, I can still in my mind see, so clearly, a purple car which looked like a little beetle. It was upright and it was smoking and there was a tiny glimmer of light from the moon, the night was so still."

The "little beetle" was the Mini driven by Gloria Jones. Ms Aram said she didn't immediately stop at the car but drove a few metres past it.

"I said 'we've got to get them out, this car might blow up'. I took my mother's rug from the back of my car and put it on the ground. Some of the fans are comforted by the fact he was laid on a nice lady's rug. I don't think Richard thought Marc was dead, but I knew he was. Gloria was groaning and almost conscious. But Richard cried and said 'please don't leave me'." In an eerie parallel with Bolan's death, Ms Aram said she crashed into a tree on the way to give evidence at Bolan's inquest a month later.

At the height of his fame in the early to mid-1970s, Bolan – born Mark Feld – outsold Jimi Hendrix and The Who with his band T Rex. But his good looks, catchy songs, air of mystique and untimely death at the age of 29 meant interest in the star has never waned.

Fee Warner, founder of the T Rex Action Group, bought the land where the sycamore tree stands to stop it from being felled. She and volunteers preserve the shrine dedicated to Bolan. Ms Warner, 53, said: "A lot of people don't realise there was a fence between the tree and the road, because the fence was removed. When we came to build some steps, we found that when they had taken the fences away, they had taken away the ones that were undamaged, but the damaged ones had become buried on the site. That explains something which I have never been able to understand: why the damage to the tree is far higher than anything a Mini could have done."
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2013 at 8:10pm by Kilroy »  

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #135 - Sep 25th, 2013 at 10:43am
Today in Dallas photo history – 1981: The Rolling Stones are coming! The Rolling Stones are coming!
By Jerome Sims / Photo Librarian
[email protected]
7:00 am on September 25, 2013

TDMN staff photo by Evans Caglage

The long lines started to form shortly after 8 a.m. Friday, September 25, 1981 when area radio stations announced tickets were on sale at Texas Stadium for the Rolling Stones concert October 31 at the Cotton Bowl.  Two well-know Texas bands, ZZ Top and the Fabulous Thunderbirds, also will perform.

Here’s a shot from the concert; that’s Mick Jagger in the cowboy hat.

TDMN staff photo by David Woo

http://photographyblog.dallasnews.com/2013/09/today-in-dallas-photo-history-1981...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #136 - Sep 25th, 2013 at 12:14pm
KMC wrote on Nov 5th, 2011 at 7:41pm:
Now if only Brian Epstein had waited a year or so to pay a visit to The Cavern.

Wouldn't that meeting have been fun?

I hate to break the fun, but it was The Beatles who got The Stones to write songs, I mean we all love The Stones but in reality The Stones were a Rhythm & Blues band exclusivity & The Beatles had a talent for songwriting pop songs or songs that even the Grandma's could like.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #137 - Oct 3rd, 2013 at 6:33pm
Released on this day in 1988.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #138 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 5:52am
Big day in Stones' history:

1957: Elvis Presley made his last appearance on the “Ed Sullivan Show.” He was on screen for more than 20 minutes, singing “Hound Dog” and “Don’t Be Cruel,” among other songs.

1964: The Rolling Stones began their first British tour as a headliner. The Ronettes were the opening act.

1993: Jazz great Dizzy Gillespie died of pancreatic cancer in Englewood, New Jersey. He was 75. The entertainment world also lost dancer Rudolph Nureyez, who was 54.

1993: Bassist Bill Wyman confirmed he was quitting the Rolling Stones.

2005: Singer Lou Rawls died in Los Angeles after fighting lung and brain cancer. He was 72.

2005: Singer Pink married motorcross racer Carey Hart in Costa Rica.

Today’s Birthdays: Accordionist Joey, the CowPolka King, of Riders in the Sky is 65. Singer Kim Wilson of the Fabulous Thunderbirds is 63. Country singer Jett Williams is 61. Guitarist Malcolm Young of AC/DC is 61. Actor-comedian Rowan Atkinson (“Mr. Bean”) is 59. Singer Kathy Sledge of Sister Sledge is 55. ” Chef Nigella Lawson is 54. Singer Eric Williams of BLACKstreet is 54. Director John Singleton is 46. Actor Norman Reedus (“The Walking Dead”) is 45. “The Talk” co-host Julie Chen is 44. Actor Danny Pintauro (“Who’s The Boss”) is 38. Comedian Kate McKinnon (“Saturday Night Live”) is 30.

- See more at: http://kgmi.com/news/030030-today-in-entertainment-history-jan-6/#sthash.5Bmblsp...

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #139 - Jan 15th, 2014 at 5:14am
1954: Marilyn Monroe married Joe DiMaggio in San Francisco. They split after nine months.

1967: The Rolling Stones appeared on the “Ed Sullivan Show” to sing “Let’s Spend The Night Together.” To satisfy censors, Mick Jagger sang “Let’s spend some TIME together.”

1974: The TV sitcom “Happy Days” premiered on ABC.

1987: Actor Ray Bolger died. He was 83. He’s probably best known for playing the Scarecrow in “The Wizard of Oz.”

1991: Sean Lennon’s remake of his father’s “Give Peace A Chance” was released to coincide with the United Nations’ midnight deadline for Iraq to withdraw from Kuwait. The lyrics were updated to reflect concerns of the 1990s.

1992: Johnny Cash, the Jimi Hendrix Experience and the Isley Brothers were among those inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

2005: NBC held an all-star telethon to raise money for victims of a tsunami in south Asia. Performers included Madonna, Elton John, Brian Wilson, Lenny Kravitz, John Mayer, Nelly and Eric Clapton.

Today’s birthdays: Actress Margaret O’Brien (“Meet Me In St. Louis”) is 77. Actress Andrea Martin is 67. Actor-director Mario Van Peebles is 57. Actor James Nesbitt (“Waking Ned Devine”) is 49. Singer Lisa Lisa of Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam is 47. Actor Chad Lowe is 46. Actress Regina King is 43. Actor Eddie Cahill (“CSI: New York”) is 36. Rapper Pitbull is 33. Electronic musician Skrillex is 26.

- See more at: http://wbco.com/news/030030-today-in-entertainment-history-jan-15/#sthash.8Qiwtk...

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #140 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 8:09pm
John R. "Johnny" Cash (February 26, 1932 – September 12, 2003)
And the Stones connection
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2014 at 8:15pm by Kilroy »  

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #141 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 6:18pm

Had to put this up!
God Bless The soul of Johnny Cash!
I think he got it.
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2014 at 6:20pm by Kilroy »  

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #142 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 9:01pm
Happy Birthday Brian Jones
Thank you! since...........
Original Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman said of Jones, "He formed the band. He chose the members. He named the band. He chose the music we played. He got us gigs. ... Very influential, very important, and then slowly lost it -- highly intelligent -- and just kind of wasted it and blew it all away."
I'll bet you where a decent drummer to, for a guitar player.
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2014 at 9:13pm by Kilroy »  

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #143 - Apr 7th, 2014 at 5:29am
Today in entertainment history: April 7

ROLLING STONES:On this day in 1962 Mick Jagger and Keith Richards met future Rolling Stones guitarist Brian Jones at a London blues club. PHOTO: ASSOCIATED PRESS

1927:An audience in New York saw an image of Commerce Secretary Herbert Hoover, in the first successful long-distance demonstration of television.

1962: Mick Jagger and Keith Richards met future Rolling Stones guitarist Brian Jones at a London blues club.

1970: “Midnight Cowboy” was named best picture at the Academy Awards. John Wayne won the best actor award for “True Grit.”

1998:Singer George Michael was arrested for committing a lewd act in a park restroom in Beverly Hills, California.

Today’s Birthdays: Actor James Garner is 86. Actor Wayne Rogers (“MASH”) is 81. Country singer Bobby Bare is 79. Singer Charlie Thomas of The Drifters is 77. Movie director Francis Ford Coppola (KOHP’-uh-lah) is 75. Singer Patricia Bennett of The Chiffons is 67. Singer-guitarist John Oates of Hall and Oates is 65. Drummer John Dittrich of Restless Heart is 63. Singer Janis Ian is 63. Actor Jackie Chan is 60. Actor Russell Crowe is 50. Singer Mark Kibble of Take 6 is 50. Actor Bill Bellamy (“Last Comic Standing,” ”Fastlane”) is 49. Actor Ed Speleers (“Downton Abbey”) is 26. Actor Conner Rayburn (“According to Jim”) is 15.

Tags: april 7, entertainment history
Story © 2014 Associated Press - Images © 2014 Associated Press
- See more at: http://kgmi.com/news/030030-today-in-entertainment-history-april-7/#sthash.fKKJF...

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #144 - Apr 13th, 2014 at 7:47am
In entertainment history on April 13 –

In 1958, Van Cliburn became the first American to win the Tchaikovsky International Piano Contest in Moscow.

In 1964, Sidney Poitier became the first black performer in a leading role to win an Academy Award for his performance in "Lilies of the Field."

In 1965, the Song of the Year Grammy Award went to "Hello, Dolly." The Beatles captured the best new artist award and won the best group performance award for "A Hard Day's Night."

In 1967, The Rolling Stones played their first concert behind the Iron Curtain, in Warsaw, Poland. Riot police had to step in to deal with 2,000 people who weren't able to get tickets.

In 1971, The Rolling Stones released "Brown Sugar," the first record on their own label, Rolling Stone Records.

In 1979, singer David Lee Roth of Van Halen collapsed onstage in Spokane, Washington, due to exhaustion.

In 1989, entertainer Jack Jones received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. He's probably best known for singing the "Love Boat" theme.

In 2000, Metallica sued the online song-swapping service Napster for copyright infringement.

In 2009, Music producer Phil Spector was found guilty by a Los Angeles jury of second-degree murder in the shooting of actress Lana Clarkson (he was later sentenced to 19 years to life in prison). Former Detroit Tigers pitcher Mark "The Bird" Fidrych died in an accident on his Massachusetts farm; he was 54. Harry Kalas, whose "Outta here!" home run calls thrilled Philadelphia baseball fans, died after collapsing in the broadcast booth before the Phillies' 9-8 victory over the Nationals in Washington; he was 73.

http://www.wtvy.com/news/odd/headlines/Day-in-History-Pocahontas-Handel-WWII-Pol...

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #145 - Apr 13th, 2014 at 12:52pm
This Week in Music History
By Big Joe Henry April 13, 2014

Mick Jagger – Photo by Graham Wood / Getty Images

April 12th, 1967 - Mick Jagger receives a punch to the face by an airport official at Le Bourget Airport in France. Jagger had lost his temper when The Rolling Stones were all searched for drugs. The ordeal resulted in The Stones missing their flight.

April 13th, 1974 – Elton John hits the top of the singles chart with ‘Bennie And The Jets’, his second US No.1. Songwriter, Bernie Taupin, said that the song’s lyrics are a satire on the music industry of the 1970s and the greed and glitz of the early ’70s music scene.

April 14th, 1976 – Motown Records and Stevie Wonder announce the largest contract renewal to date, to the tune of $13 million.

April 15th, 1987 – Queen were presented with an award for ‘outstanding contribution to British music’ at the 32nd annual Ivor Novello Awards held in London.

April 16th 1972 – ELO (Electric Light Orchestra) make their debut at The Fox and Greyhound in London.  Former Move members Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne formed the new band to create modern rock and pop songs with classical overtones. Wood would leave the band following their debut record. Lynne wrote and arranged all of the group’s original compositions and produced every album.

April 17th, 1972 – Keith Richard’s girlfriend Anita Pallenberg gives birth to their second child, a baby girl. They named her Dandelion.

April 18th, 1975 – Four Bay City Rollers fans are taken to a hospital and 35 others required on site treatment after they attempted to swim across a lake to meet the band. The group were making an appearance at the Mallory Park racetrack for BBC Radio.

Read More: This Week in Music History | http://nj1015.com/this-week-in-music-history-25/?trackback=tsmclip

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #146 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 5:37am
1966:The Rolling Stones album “Aftermath” was released in Britain. It was the first Stones album to contain all original material, and it featured songs like “Under My Thumb” and “Mother’s Little Helper.”

1967:The Who released the single “Happy Jack.”

1982: Billy Joel was seriously hurt in a motorcycle accident on Long Island, New York. He spent about a month in the hospital.

1990:Actress Greta Garbo died in New York at the age of 84. Among her movie credits are “Grand Hotel” and “Camille.”

2001:Singer Joey Ramone of The Ramones died in New York after battling lymphoma. He was 49.

Today’s Birthdays: Country singer Roy Clark is 81. Singer-guitarist Dave Edmunds is 71. Actor Michael Tucci (“Diagnosis Murder”) is 68. Actress Lois Chiles (“Austin Powers”) is 67. Actress Amy Wright is 64. Actress Emma Thompson is 55. Singer Samantha Fox is 48. Guitarist Ed O’Brien of Radiohead is 46. Actor Danny Pino (“Cold Case”) is 40. Actor Luke Evans (“The Hobbit”) is 35. Drummer Patrick Carney of The Black Keys is 34. Actor Seth Rogen (“Knocked Up”) is 32. Drummer De’Mar Hamilton of Plain White T’s is 30. Actress Emma Watson (“Harry Potter” movies) is 24.

- See more at: http://kgmi.com/news/030030-today-in-entertainment-history-april-15/#sthash.XWC4...

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #147 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 5:26pm
Aftermath does not have Mothers Little Helper. It has
PAINT IT BLACK 
STUPID GIRL   
LADY JANE   
UNDER MY THUMB 
DONCHA BOTHER ME   
THINK   
FLIGHT 505   
HIGH AND DRY 
ITS NOT EASY
I AM WAITING
GOING HOME

Mothers Little Helper was released as a single originally.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #148 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 5:42am
50 YEARS AGO TODAY THE STONES RELEASE THEIR FIRST ALBUM

Today in History for Wednesday, April 16, 2014

By - The Associated Press

■ On April 16, 1964, The Rolling Stones’ first album, eponymously titled “The Rolling Stones,” was released in the United Kingdom by Decca Records (a slightly different version debuted in the United States a month and a half later).

■ In 1789, President-elect George Washington left Mount Vernon, Va., for his inauguration in New York.

■ In 1862, during the Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln signed a bill ending slavery in the District of Columbia. The Confederacy conscripted all white men between the ages of 18 to 35.

■ In 1879, Bernadette Soubirous, who’d described seeing visions of the Virgin Mary at Lourdes, died in Nevers, France.

■ In 1889, comedian and movie director Charles Chaplin was born in London.

■ In 1912, American aviator Harriet Quimby became the first woman to fly across the English Channel, traveling from Dover, England, to France in 59 minutes.

■ In 1935, the radio comedy program “Fibber McGee and Molly” premiered on NBC’s Blue Network.

■ In 1947, the French ship Grandcamp blew up at the harbor in Texas City; another ship, the High Flyer, exploded the following day (the blasts and fires killed nearly 600 people). Financier Bernard M. Baruch said in a speech at the South Carolina statehouse, “Let us not be deceived — we are today in the midst of a cold war.”

■ In 1963, Martin Luther King Jr. wrote his “Letter from Birmingham Jail” in which he said, “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

■ In 1972, Apollo 16 blasted off on a voyage to the moon with astronauts John W. Young, Charles M. Duke Jr. and Lew Mattingly on board.

■ In 1986, dispelling rumors he was dead, Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi appeared on television to condemn the U.S. raid on his country and to say that Libyans were “ready to die” defending their nation.

■ In 1994, Ralph Ellison, author of “Invisible Man,” died in New York.

■ In 2007, in the deadliest shooting rampage in modern U.S. history, student Seung-Hui Cho killed 32 people on the campus of Virginia Tech before taking his own life.

Today’s birthdays: Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI is 87. Actor Peter Mark Richman is 87. Singer Bobby Vinton is 79. Denmark’s Queen Margrethe II is 74. Basketball Hall-of-Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is 67. Ann Romney is 65. NFL coach Bill Belichick is 62. Rock singer-turned-politician Peter Garrett is 61. Actress Ellen Barkin is 60. Rock musician Jason Scheff (Chicago) is 52. Singer Jimmy Osmond is 51. Rock singer David Pirner (Soul Asylum) is 50. Actor-comedian Martin Lawrence is 49. Actor Jon Cryer is 49. Rock musician Dan Rieser is 48. Actor Peter Billingsley is 43. Actor Lukas Haas is 38. Figure skater Mirai Nagasu is 21.

http://amarillo.com/news/local-news/2014-04-15/today-history-wednesday-april-16-...

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #149 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 5:23pm
Edith Grove wrote on Apr 16th, 2014 at 5:42am:
50 YEARS AGO TODAY THE STONES RELEASE THEIR FIRST ALBUM

Today in History for Wednesday, April 16, 2014

By - The Associated Press

■ On April 16, 1964, The Rolling Stones’ first album, eponymously titled “The Rolling Stones,” was released in the United Kingdom by Decca Records (a slightly different version debuted in the United States a month and a half later).

happy birthday!!
fifty and counting!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)