Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Today in Rock - Stones related (Read 156,106 times)
KMC
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Bayonne, NJ
Re: Day in Rock - Stones related
Reply #100 - May 7th, 2012 at 5:10pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
We should all bow our heads and say a prayer today....

In the early morning hours of May 7, 1965, in a Clearwater, Florida, motel room, a bleary-eyed Keith Richards awoke, grabbed a tape recorder and laid down one of the greatest pop hooks of all time: The opening riff of "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction." He then promptly fell back to sleep.

"When I woke up in the morning, the tape had run out," Richards recalled many years later. "I put it back on, and there's this, maybe, 30 seconds of 'Satisfaction,' in a very drowsy sort of rendition. And then it suddenly—the guitar goes 'CLANG," and then there's like 45 minutes of snoring." It wasn't much to go on, but he played it for Mick Jagger later that same day. "He only had the first bit, and then he had the riff," Jagger recalls. "It sounded like a country sort of thing on acoustic guitar—it didn't sound like rock. But he didn't really like it, he thought it was a joke... He really didn't think it was single material, and we all said 'You're off your head.' Which he was, of course."

With verses written by Jagger—Richards had already come up with the line "I can't get no satisfaction"—the Stones took the song into the Chess studios in Chicago just three days later, on May 10, 1965, and completed it on May 12 after a flight to Los Angeles and an 18-hour recording session at RCA. It was there that Richards hooked up an early Gibson version of a fuzz box to his guitar and gave a riff he'd initially envisioned being played by horns its distinctive, iconic sound

Though the Stones at the time were already midway through their third U.S. tour, their only bona fide American hits to date were "Time Is On My Side" and the recently released "The Last Time." "Satisfaction" was the song that would catapult them to superstar status. Forty years later, when Rolling Stone magazine ranked "Satisfaction" #2 on its list of the "500 Greatest Songs of All Time," it put the following historical perspective on the riff Keith Richards discovered on this day in 1965: "That spark in the night...was the crossroads: the point at which the rickety jump and puppy love of early rock and roll became rock."

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #101 - May 8th, 2012 at 8:10am
Eric Hilliard Ricky  Nelson May 8th 1940-December 31, 1985
With James Burton on Guitar and  parrot?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67XhVQIr33U

« Last Edit: May 8th, 2012 at 8:12am by Kilroy »  

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #102 - May 9th, 2012 at 6:27pm
Tommy Roe 5.9.1942
http://www.lostbeatlesconcert.com/the-movie.html
Now Blow out the candles

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #103 - May 9th, 2012 at 10:59pm

May 10  1967:  Mick Jagger & Keith Richards appear in court on drug charges in Chichester, England.  They would plead not guilty & elect to go to trial.

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #104 - May 9th, 2012 at 11:00pm
Dr. Donovan Philips Leitch  May 10, 1946
http://www.donovan.ie/en/
Now Blow out the candles

IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Right here in the USA
Reply #105 - May 10th, 2012 at 12:35pm

On this date in 1963, right after signing their deal with Decca Records, The Rolling Stones entered London’s Olympic Sound Studios to track its first single, a cover of Chuck Berry's "Come On." The single came out in the U.K. on June 7 and went to No. 21 on the U.K. charts, allowing them to begin playing shows outside of London. The band's singles steadily performed better in the U.K. — the second one, "I Wanna Be Your Man" (a Beatles cover) made it to No. 12 and their cover of Buddy Holly's "Not Fade Away" went to No. 3 (it was their first U.S. chart single, as well, reaching No. 48). In early 1964, the band had its first No. 1 single (in the U.K.) with another cover, Bobby and Shirley Womack's "It's All Over Now."

The first original song by the Stones to make it to No. 1 didn't come until 1965's "The Last Time." Later in ’65 the Stones released "Satisfaction", which signaled the coming of a legendary, enduring band — it reached No. 1 in countries across the globe. 50 years after forming, the Stones are still rocking. They ended up doing pretty OK for themselves.

http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/blog-3443-this_date_in_music_history_may_10.h...

...&&&&
IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #106 - May 11th, 2012 at 9:41am
1964:  The Rolling Stones are refused lunch at the Grand hotel in Bristol, England because they were not wearing jackets & ties.

Eric Victor Burdon May 11 1941
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxNEiZhpinY
Now blow out the candles.

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #107 - May 12th, 2012 at 7:59am
George Carlin  May 12, 1937 June 22, 2008
“ Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker, and Tits. Those are the heavy seven. Those are the ones that'll infect your soul, curve your spine and keep the country from winning the war. ”
—George Carlin, Class Clown, "Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television"

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #108 - May 12th, 2012 at 10:11am
THE ROLLING STONES ‘EXILE ON MAIN STREET’ TURNS 40

by: Dave Lifton 1 hour ago

Universal

The sprawling double album is a dangerous undertaking in rock because the possibility for overload is too great. Even the biggest fans of, say, the Beatles or Bruce Springsteen will admit that ‘The Beatles’ or ‘The River’ could have been better as a single album with the fat trimmed. However, the Rolling Stones‘ ‘Exile on Main Street,’ which was released 40 years ago today, not only doesn’t suffer from a lack of filler, but it’s length is actually one of its selling points.

Always influenced by American music, ‘Exile’ saw the Stones going deeper into country (‘Torn and Frayed’), folk (‘Sweet Black Angel’) and even gospel (‘I Just Want to See His Face’). They didn’t abandon the blues — they covered Slim Harpo’s ‘Shake Your Hips’ and Robert Johnson’s ‘Stop Breaking Down’ with gusto — so expanding ‘Exile’ allowed them the explore some of those musical ideas in greater depth than they had previously done.

And, of course, there was still plenty of time for some straightforward rock n’ roll, too. ‘Tumbling Dice’ and ‘Happy’ were Top 40 hits, but ‘All Down the Line’ also gets some radio airplay. ‘Exile also kicks off with one of the great one-two punches in rock history — ‘Rocks Off’ and ‘Rip This Joint.’

The most incredible fact about ‘Exile’ is that it even got made. In 1971 the band were forced to leave England due to tax issues. Most of the band moved to the south of France, while Mick Jagger stayed in Paris to be with his new wife, Bianca. The Stones’ mobile studio set up shop outside Keith Richards‘ villa, Nellcote, and the band went to work.

Sort of. The work they did wasn’t always on the album. Nellcote turned into a constant party with plenty of friends and hangers-on with occasional bouts of recording whenever enough members would show up and were capable of playing their instruments. Even though the recording was being done in his house, Keith Richards, whose heroin addiction had recently taken hold, was rarely in a condition to lead the sessions. Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman don’t even play on several songs.

By December, the sessions moved to Los Angeles for overdubs and some new tracks. With Jagger around more, he was able to take control and see the project to completion in time for its release on May 12, 1972.

But it’s the decadence of the basement at Nellcote, which will soon be the subject of a film, that is found within ‘Exile’s’ grooves. Its murkiness, with Jagger’s vocals further down in the mix than usual, can make it impenetrable on first few listens, but eventually its brilliance sinks in as you peel back the layers and discover everything underneath. Later reissues, most recently in 2010, have improved the sound with state-of-the-art technology, but kept the mystery intact.

So if the May sunshine bores the daylights out of you today, crank up your copy of ‘Exile on Main Street,’ be it vinyl, CD or mp3. You’re bound to hear something within that you’ve never noticed before..

Now... blow out the candles and the joints

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #109 - May 12th, 2012 at 10:27am
... and crank it to 15

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #110 - May 12th, 2012 at 12:21pm
1965, The Rolling Stones recorded “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” at RCA Hollywood studios. Keith Richards had come up with the guitar riff in the middle of the night a week earlier. It gave the band their first #1 single in the U.S.

1968, Brian Jones made his final live appearance with The Rolling Stones when they appeared at the New Musical Express Poll Winners Concert at the Empire Pool, Wembley, England.

IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Right here in the USA
Reply #111 - May 12th, 2012 at 12:26pm
Born This Day:

1945 – Ian McLagan 

http://youtu.be/JDaC0hKzpmg

1948 – Steve Winwood

http://youtu.be/tYOrUpFuQkQ

...&&&&
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #112 - May 12th, 2012 at 12:32pm
happy birthday Ian and Steve!!!

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #113 - May 13th, 2012 at 12:12am
May 13, 1966:  The Rolling Stones released “Paint It, Black” which went on to reach number one in the U.S. & the U.K.  It was one of the first rock records to use a sitar.

Stevland Hardaway Morris  Stevie Wonder May 13 1950
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ul7X5js1vE
Now Blow out The Candles

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #114 - May 14th, 2012 at 12:22pm
happy birthday jack bruce!!!

http://youtu.be/8mqZqhTl4A8

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #115 - May 20th, 2012 at 1:40am
Peter Dennis Blandford "Pete" Townsend May 19th 1945
Now Blow out The Candles

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #116 - May 20th, 2012 at 1:43pm
Happy birthday Joe Cocker... so Let's go get stoned

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #117 - May 20th, 2012 at 1:46pm
1966, Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey of The Who grew tired of waiting for John Entwistle and Keith Moon to arrive for their gig at the Ricky Tick Club in Windsor, England, so they took to the stage with the bass player and drummer of the local band that opened the show. When Moon and Entwistle finally arrived in the middle of the set, a fight broke out, with Townshend hitting Moon on the head with his guitar. Moon and Entwistle quit the band (and rejoined a week later).

Stinky post

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #118 - May 24th, 2012 at 7:45pm
Brought to you by ThisDayinMusic.com.

Born on this day:
1941, Bob Dylan, singer-songwriter (For more on Dylan, see This Day in Music Spotlight.)
1944, Patti LaBelle, R&B singer
1947, Waddy Wachtel, guitarist, producer
1955, Rosanne Cash, singer-songwriter
1956, Larry Blackmon, vocals, Cameo
1960, Guy Fletcher, keyboards, Dire Straits
1967, Steve McDonald, bass, Redd Kross
1969, Rich Robinson, guitar, The Black Crowes

1963, Elmore James, blues guitarist and singer, died of a heart attack at age 45. He wrote “Shake Your Money Maker,” covered by Fleetwood Mac in 1968. Known as “The King of the Slide Guitar,” James influenced Jimi Hendrix, B.B. King, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Keith Richards, among others.

1969, Bob Dylan scored his fourth #1 U.K. album with Nashville Skyline.

1974, American composer, pianist and bandleader Duke Ellington died of lung cancer and pneumonia at age 75. The jazz legend worked with Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Dizzy Gillespie and Billie Holiday, among other greats. He was awarded a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 1966. In 2009, the United States Mint launched a new coin featuring Duke Ellington on the reverse side of the coin.

1991, Founding member of The Byrds Gene Clark died of a heart attack at age 49. He wrote The Byrds’ hits “I’ll Feel a Whole Lot Better” and “Eight Miles High” and was a member of McGuinn, Clark and Hillman.

1999, Freddie Mercury was featured on a new set of millennium stamps issued by the Royal Mail. The Queen frontman, who died in 1991, was featured on the 19p stamp. The singer was a keen stamp collector, and his collection was bought by the Post Office in 1993. The stamp marked his contribution to the Live Aid charity concert in 1985.

2000, Andrea and Sharon Corr from The Corrs both collapsed in the mid-day sun whilst shooting their new video in the Mojave Desert in California. The pair were treated in hospital for heat exhaustion and were back on the set within 24 hours.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #119 - May 24th, 2012 at 10:30pm
rest in peace gene clark

http://youtu.be/IqbkYIGrXeo

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #120 - May 26th, 2012 at 1:42pm

Born on this day:

1920, Peggy Lee, singer
1926, Miles Davis, jazz trumpeter, music genius
1940, Levon Helm, drums, vocals, The Band
1945, Garry Peterson, drums, The Guess Who|
1946, Mick Ronson, guitarist, producer, David Bowie
1948, Stevie Nicks, vocals, Fleetwood Mac
1949, Hank Williams Jr., country singer, guitarist
1964, Lenny Kravitz, singer, guitarist
1976, Justin Pierre, vocals, Motion City Soundtrack
1977, Mark Hunter, vocals, guitar, Chimaira
1981, Isaac Slade, vocal, piano, The Fray

1964, Marianne Faithful recorded the Mick Jagger and Keith Richards song “As Tears Go By,” accompanied by future Led Zeppelin members Jimmy Page on guitar and John Paul Jones on bass.

1968, Blues singer Little Willie John died in prison after being convicted of manslaughter. He co-wrote and was the first to record “Fever” (covered by Peggy Lee in 1958) and “Need Your Love So Bad” (covered by Fleetwood Mac). James Brown recorded a tribute album Thinking of Little Willie John... And a Few Other Nice Things.

1969, John and Yoko began an eight-day “bed in” in room 1742 of The Hotel La Reine Elizabeth, Montreal, Canada, to promote world peace. They recorded “Give Peace a Chance” in the hotel room.

1971, Don McLean recorded “American Pie.” For more on this story, see This Day in Music Spotlight.

1972, At the point of the band splitting up, David Bowie offered Mott the Hoople two of his new songs, “Suffragette City,” which they turned down, and “All the Young Dudes,” which they recorded. The song gave the group a #3 U.K. and U.S. Top 40 hit.

1973, The Edgar Winter Group went to #1 on the U.S. singles chart with “Frankenstein,” the band’s only U.S. #1. It reached #18 in the U.K. The group featured ex-McCoys guitarist Rick Derringer.

1994, Michael Jackson married Lisa Marie Presley, daughter of Elvis Presley. The couple divorced in 1995.

1996, A fire at the home of Eric Clapton caused over one and a half million pounds worth of damage. Firemen arrived on the scene to find Clapton braving the blaze to save his collection of guitars.

2002, The first episode of The Osbournes was shown on MTV in the U.K.

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #121 - Jun 2nd, 2012 at 10:20am
1989 — Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman, at age 53, marries Mandy Smith, 18, whom he had been dating since she was 13 years old.

IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Right here in the USA
Reply #122 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 9:44am
On June third, 1964, the Rolling Stones made their US TV debut on "Hollywood Palace" hosted by Dean Martin.

In 1967, Marvin Gaye and Tami Terrell made their debut as a duo on the R&B chart with "Ain't No Mountain High Enough."

In 1969, Diana Ross's two pet dogs were poisoned by rat bait in her dressing room in Philadelphia.

In 1970, Ray Davies of The Kinks traveled from New York to London to change one word in the recording of "Lola." He changed "Coca-Cola" to "cherry cola" because the BBC banned commercial references in songs.

In 1972, the Rolling Stones began their "Exile on Main Street" tour in VANCOUVER,B.C., with Stevie Wonder as the opening act.

« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2012 at 9:48am by FPM »  

...&&&&
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #123 - Jun 4th, 2012 at 2:21pm
Posted this on our facebook page earlier as todays video of the day, may as well add it here :

On this date in 1976, the Stones played the first of four consecutive nights at the Pavillon de Paris, a converted slaughterhouse in the city's La Villette district known to most people as "Les Abattoirs". The shows were taped by the Stones Mobile Recording Unit for use on the following year's "Love You Live" album and filmed by Freddie Hausser for a TV broadcast titled "Les Stones Aux Abattoirs". Most of the songs broadcast come from the third and fourth shows, but this version of "Angie" dates from the opening night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNFHDzEG_VM

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #124 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 9:39pm
Brain Jones aressted on drug charges 44 years ago today.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)