Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
'Boogie For Stu' Shows and tribute CD (Read 84,672 times)
gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Re: 'Boogie For Stu' Shows Tonight In London
Reply #200 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 8:57am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
steel driving hammer wrote on Mar 29th, 2011 at 8:09am:
Will this live album be out in stores?

I believe only the studio album is being released and the live show was just in support of that. I don't think any plans exist for a live album nor have any boots popped up yet?

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #201 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 9:31am

Posted this on the previous page:

Made an inquiry through Ben Waters' site regarding a possible audio/video release of these shows.

Response was that nothing's planned, "but keep an eye on the website."

As for recordings, UrbanSteel has compiled several YouTube clips on PAL DVD - here or here.

Still no audio...

« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2011 at 9:47am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #202 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 6:22pm
Tom wrote on Mar 28th, 2011 at 8:06pm:
I love this thread! The best report so far, thanks for the article too

stu-smiling

I love this thread too.  It's a tonic for the spirit.

"I am a friend to any brave and gallant outlaw"

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #203 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 11:13am

Eagle Rock has posted a 'Boogie 4 Stu' teaser that includes a bunch of nice shots from the Ambassadors shows and recording sessions - www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1F0FBxultI

Cool
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2011 at 11:29am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Ex Member

Reply #204 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 11:42am
Yeah, wonder why Mick or Keith didn't show up for this great historic  time.

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #205 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 11:50am
steel driving hammer wrote on Mar 31st, 2011 at 11:42am:
Yeah, wonder why Mick or Keith didn't show up for this great historic  time.

It was more relaxed without them, imo.  As Charlie said earlier - "It's about the music, not the money."  If they had been there the focus would have been on THEM and how they reacted to being on stage after Keith's book.  When you have Bill Wyman, Mick Taylor, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood on stage saluting Stu - that's more than enough for me.  That's about the MUSIC.

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #206 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 9:43am
left shoe shuffle wrote on Mar 31st, 2011 at 11:13am:

Eagle Rock has posted a 'Boogie 4 Stu' teaser that includes a bunch of nice shots from the Ambassadors shows and recording sessions - www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1F0FBxultI

Cool

That's a nice teaser.  Sold!

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #207 - Apr 3rd, 2011 at 5:24pm
Bumped for those who may have missed the trailer.

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #208 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 1:26pm

BOOGIE 4 STU

A great night at The Ambassadors on the 9th March, to celebrate the life of Ian Stewart, founder member and pianist with The Stones.

As Stu was a boogie woogie man, the house band was The ABC&D of Boogie Woogie, comprising two pianos, a bass and Charlie Watts on drums. Add to that a mix of Bill Wyman, Mick Taylor, Mick Hucknall, myself and a cast of too many to mention and it turned out to be a wonderful evening to honour Stu.

Sir Peter Blake attended, having generously painted a wonderful portrait of Stu for the Album cover. The entire proceeds of the album will go the Charity "Mending Broken Hearts" for The British Heart Foundation.

It was a wonderful one off evening which would be difficult to reproduce.

But you never know - we may try sometime!

Photograph: Matt Crockett

ronniewood.com

Nice drawing by Mr. Watts...

stu-smiling
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2011 at 2:09pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Reply #209 - Apr 11th, 2011 at 6:59pm
Don't know if this has been mentioned but Amazon does not have the album coming out until April 19th. you made a grown man cry stu watching how stupid we are LOL Oh no! not you again

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #210 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 7:20am

'Boogie 4 Stu' might not be in stores yet, but you can hear the album in it's entirety.

Click on Stu. Boogie. Rinse. Repeat.  

« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2011 at 7:39am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Ex Member

Reply #211 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 5:21pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Apr 12th, 2011 at 7:20am:
'Boogie 4 Stu' might not be in stores yet, but you can hear the album in it's entirety.

God that stuff really sounds great!

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #212 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 5:29pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Apr 12th, 2011 at 7:20am:

LOL Lefty. I did and now my ears are all nice and clean and shiny. Cool

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #213 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 6:40pm

Bump 4 Stu!

Anybody else here give 'B4S' a spin? Thoughts?
Bueller? Frye?
Anyone??  

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2011 at 6:51pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Ex Member

Reply #214 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 7:32pm
Well, for people who appreciate music as much as we do, the Boogie will always keep me happy.

Always liked it, but never really did any history, like it's connection w/ Ragtime, always liked Ronnie's Ragtime Annie (Lillie's Bordello) too

http://www.nonjohn.com/History%20of%20Boogie%20Woogie.htm
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2011 at 7:56pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Re: 'Boogie 4 Stu'
Reply #215 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 5:58pm

'Boogie 4 Stu' CD review

Published: Friday, April 15, 2011
By Mark Voger/The Star-Ledger

Boogie 4 Stu
Ben Waters (Eagle Records)

Brian Jones wasn't the first person to get kicked out of the Rolling Stones. Six years before Jones, by then an out-of-control junkie, was fired from the band in 1969, pianist Ian Stewart was booted out for a more mundane reason.

He wasn't cute enough.

So believed the Stones' handlers, anyway. But Stewart took it like a champ. "Okay," he said (as recalled by Keith Richards in his memoir, "Life"). "I'll just drive you around."
"Stu" — a pragmatic person with a naturalistic boogie-woogie piano style — became the Stones' trusted tour manager, sometime pianist and unofficial ombudsman. Stewart was no record-company yes man; when he said something sounded wrong, it sounded wrong.

If you're wondering what Stewart, who died of a heart attack in 1985 at age 47, sounded like, simply access the iPod in your brain. He played on the Stones' "Brown Sugar," "Dead Flowers," "Sweet Virginia" and "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll," as well as Led Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll" and "Boogie With Stu" — hence, the title of Ben Waters' 11-track, star-studded tribute CD.

The big news of "Boogie 4 Stu," which benefits the British Heart Foundation, is that it presents a reunion of the Mach 3 lineup of the Rolling Stones: singer Mick Jagger, guitarists Richards and Ron Wood, bassist Bill Wyman and drummer Charlie Watts. This lineup played from 1975, when Wood joined, until 1992, when Wyman quit. The five musicians perform a cover of Bob Dylan's 1971 single "Watching the River Flow."

Waters — a pianist based in Dorset, a coastal county in Southern England — explains in his liner notes that his playing was greatly influenced by Stewart, to the extent that he was drafted to replace Stewart in the late pianist's side band, Rocket 88. Waters is also a member of Watts' side band, the A, B, C & D of Boogie. When Watts learned Waters was planning a tribute to Stewart, he offered to play on it. Things snowballed, with the other Stones insisting on participating. (Waters flew to New York to record Richards on three songs; Jagger contributed vocals and harmonica via e-mail within an hour of receiving the track; Watts played on six songs.)

Also joining in are singer PJ Harvey (a cousin of Waters) and Rocket 88 saxophonists Willy Garnet and Don Weller. The album was mixed by Glyn Johns, an engineer on the Stones' "Exile on Main St." album, and the cover was painted by Peter Blake, the artist who designed the iconic "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" cover.

Which is all well and good, but how does it sound?

"Boogie 4 Stu" is a joyful collection — heartfelt blues, hot boogie-woogie — and a fitting tribute to its honoree. It sometimes has a deceptively casual vibe: If you're not an aficionado of the genre, a feeling of sameness may creep in. But boogie-woogie nuts and Stones completists will find plenty of reasons to revisit the album repeatedly.

The record opens unselfconsciously with Waters playing solo on "Boogie Woogie Stomp," a '30s genre standard from Chicago pianist Albert Ammons. Highlights include "Worried Life Blues," a snaky vocal duet between Richards and Wood; "Make Me a Pallet on Your Floor," with a '40s-ish vocal by singer-pianist Jools Holland; "Midnight Blues," a smoky two-piano jam between Waters and Holland, accompanied only by Watts' laid-back brushwork; and the Stones' Dylan cover, a positively exquisite reunion.

The only clunker is the cover of Ray Charles' "Lonely Avenue," on which Harvey sings. It should be no surprise that her vocal style isn't a perfect fit with the material or the company; she and Waters take the avant-garde route, which doesn't quite succeed.

"B4S" closes with an undated live version of Sam Cooke's "Bring it on Home to Me," played by Rocket 88 with Stewart — a bittersweet coda.

nj.com

Different strokes...'Lonely Avenue' ain't no clunker to me.
Love the whole damn album.

Boogie chillun!

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #216 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 6:29pm
I disagreed with that clunker remark too.  Lonely Avenue is a great song.  I think the entire album is clunker-free.  Glad we have the opportunity to hear the album in it's entirety right here.
« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2011 at 6:35pm by Ginda »  

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Ex Member

Reply #217 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 8:20am
Stu and Charlie, did  FANTASTIC  work on this tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrYjHrAgxeI

IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Reply #218 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 5:34pm
Just got "Boogie 4 Stu" off of iTunes. Very cool. stu-smiling

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #219 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 7:51am

Another clip of 'Little Queenie' just upped to YouTube - www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW-6rMxO-nM

Lots of help from an exuberant audience...

Cool
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2011 at 7:55am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #220 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 9:35am
left shoe shuffle wrote on Apr 22nd, 2011 at 7:51am:
Another clip of 'Little Queenie' just upped to YouTube - www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW-6rMxO-nM

Cool

Holy cow and hot tamale!  Loved the expression on the guy's face at the very end.  Looked something like Smiley

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Ex Member

Reply #221 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 11:58am
Great stuff. tx.

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #222 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 2:40pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Apr 22nd, 2011 at 7:51am:

Cool

That is really good!!! kind of makes you long for The Rockin' Stones, & we got them here, only without the two leaders.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Re: 'Boogie For Stu' Shows and tribute CD
Reply #223 - May 6th, 2011 at 8:38am

Ben Waters honors Ian Stewart and reunites the Rolling Stones with Bill Wyman

May 5th, 2011
By Carla Hay

... ...
Ben Waters  

Willy Garnett, Jools Holland, Dave Green, Charlie Watts, Ben Waters and Don Weller
Photos: Eagle Records

Ben Waters has managed to do what no one else has been able to do for a little more than 20 years: reunite the Rolling Stones for a studio recording with the band’s former bass player Bill Wyman. As previously reported, Wyman and the current members of the Rolling Stones (lead singer Mick Jagger, guitarist Keith Richards, drummer Charlie Watts and guitarist Ronnie Wood) recorded a cover version of Bob Dylan’s “Watching the River Flow.” The track is part of an excellent collection of songs on Waters’ album “Boogie 4 Stu,” a tribute to the late Ian Stewart (one of the founding members of the Rolling Stones), who later became a tour manager and session/touring musician for the band. (Stewart died of a heart attack at the age of 47 in 1985. Proceeds from “Boogie 4 Stu” benefit the British Heart Foundation.)

The last Rolling Stones album to feature Wyman was 1989’s “Steel Wheels,” and the most recent Rolling Stones album is 2005’s “A Bigger Bang.” It is perhaps testament to Stewart’s profound impact on the Rolling Stones that this tribute to Stewart was able to bring together the band and former Stones bassist Wyman for a new recording after all these years. Stewart was also a major influence on Waters, who organized and played on the “Boogie 4 Stu” album, which also features performances from PJ Harvey (Waters’ cousin) and Jools Holland. Waters is also the keyboardist for Watts’ other band: The A, B, C & D of Boogie Woogie. In this exclusive interview, I chatted with Waters by phone while he was on his way to Finland for one of the concerts on his 2011 tour.

What is your very first memory of the Rolling Stones?

My earliest memory is of Stu [Ian Stewart]. He played at my aunt and uncle’s (PJ Harvey’s parents) wedding anniversary when I was 8 years old. I was more influenced by Ian Stewart’s kind of music — R&B, blues. I also liked Ray Charles and Jerry Lee Lewis.

There are so many songs that could have been selected for “Boogie 4 Stu.” How did you go about choosing the songs to record?

I started it as a solo project, so I had already chosen the material. I chose the songs and planned to record them with my band, and then what happened was that [other people] like PJ Harvey [got involved]. Charlie Watts is in the band I’m in at the moment called the A, B, C & D of Boogie Woogie. I heard that Bill Wyman wanted to play bass, and then Keith Richards and Ronnie played guitar [on some tracks]. It was a matter of getting a hold of them.

What’s the whole story about getting all of the Rolling Stones and Bill Wyman to perform on “Watching the River Flow”?
They all ended up on it by accident, really. Charlie had played on several tracks [on “Boogie 4 Stu”], then Ronnie Wood played on some tracks. And Keith played on three tracks, including “Watching the River Flow.” And then Bill Wyman came in. It was the first time he had played [on the same song as the Rolling Stones] in 20 years. And we asked Mick Jagger to be on it, and they all ended up on the same track.

The reason why we chose this Bob Dylan tune was … well, it’s funny, because Ian Stewart didn’t actually like Bob Dylan. He was very narrow in his taste in music. He didn’t really like rock’n’roll, like Jerry Lee Lewis and stuff. He was more into avant-garde jazz, and he did like R&B, but he just didn’t like Bob Dylan. And he used to say, “Bob Dylan has only one decent tune: ‘Watching the River Flow.’” He kept saying that over and over again. So that’s why I chose it.

There are two tracks — “Kidney Stew” and “Chicago Calling”— that are exclusively on the Japanese release of “Boogie 4 Stu.” Why are they only on the Japanese release?

When you [sell] a CD in Japan, it’s twice the price of an American or English release, so they [the Japanese record company] always like to have extra tracks.

The Ian Stewart tribute concert in London on March 9, 2011, had an all-star lineup that included former and current members of the Rolling Stones (Charlie Watts, Ronnie Wood, Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman), as well as Mick Hucknall, Jools Holland and Shakin’ Stevens. With all those stars involved in the show, how did you decide which songs to perform?

I talked about it with Ronnie Wood and some of the other people … and we eventually did get to a [set list]. It was a bit shambolic, but in a way, that was very freeing. Basically, people turned up, and it was shambolic, and it was basically “go with the flow.”

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were asked to perform at the Ian Stewart tribute concert. What's the real story of why Mick and Keith weren’t there?

I know there’s been a lot of speculation about why they weren’t there. Keith was in the Caribbean, and he couldn’t get back [to London]. He had a family thing. It wasn’t possible for him to be there and fly out the next day. He sent his best wishes. And Mick just couldn’t get away. And they both felt that if one turned up and not the other, the press would’ve had a field day, really.

Have you read Keith Richards’ memoir “Life”?

No, I haven’t.

In “Life,” Keith described Ian Stewart as the “arbiter of events” when it came to the Rolling Stones. Based on what you know about Ian Stewart and your personal admiration of him, how would you interpret that description?

I couldn’t really say, but as far as I was concerned, when I first got into playing music, I heard people say that [Ian Stewart] was [overshadowed] by the Rolling Stones, and I found that really sad. So I did lots of research, and I realized that he just didn’t really care about his own fame. He had a bigger picture in mind. He and Brian Jones started the Rolling Stones, but [Ian] put himself last, and he was a bigger person for it. What was really meant to be is what happened.

With recording technology, people no longer have to be in the same room at the same time to record music on the same song. But on “Boogie 4 Stu,” were you actually in the same room with any of the musicians when they played on any of the album’s tracks?

Charlie [Watts] on drums, Dave Green on bass, myself on piano, and Willy Garnett and Don Weller on saxophone were on the main sessions. I was in the studio with Ronnie [Wood] and Bill Wyman. It [“Boogie 4 Stu”] sounds very much like a live band; it’s very old-fashioned.

We only overdubbed Ronnie and Keith on [some of] the tracks. But I was in the studio with Ronnie, and I spent a day with Keith. Bill came in at the end and overdubbed his bass parts.

Are there any songs that were recorded for “Boogie 4 Stu” that haven’t been released? And if so, do you think they’ll be released?

There are about five or six, some with Charlie on them. I can’t think of the titles right now. They might be released. I don’t know yet.

If Ian Stewart were alive today and you had a chance to play any song with him, which would it be?

I think I would play the last track of the album: “Bring It on Home to Me.”

The Examiner

Nice interview - including an "official" explanation for Mick and Keith's absence.
Both or neither does make sense...

« Last Edit: May 6th, 2011 at 9:36am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Re: 'Boogie For Stu' Shows and tribute CD
Reply #224 - May 6th, 2011 at 9:19am
The rationale around Keith/MicK seems reasonable..and when you think about it having them there would have taken a lot of the spotlight on the other players including Waters who put it all together........

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)