Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Send Topic Print
'Boogie For Stu' Shows and tribute CD (Read 84,668 times)
sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Re: 'Boogie For Stu' Shows Tonight In London
Reply #100 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 9:14pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
The Wick wrote on Mar 9th, 2011 at 8:30pm:
Mick and Keith are dicks. It shows that they have more in common with each other than the rest of the band. That bullshit speech of Keith at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame where he said I work for Ian Stewart was shown for what it was, empty words. These guys are swimming in money and the idea that they couldn't fly to their home country (not some far off place) even for one night is utter crap. People with far less means attend all types of things on the other side of the world. The only way I can see this as forgivable is if either or both of them had a serious reason for not attending. Not liking each other is not a serious reason.

They don't even have to like each other. Looking at the videos and the way this was orchestarted so to speak.They didn't have to do the whole show. They each could of done at least 1 song and not even together. Maybe Keith has an excuse because he hasn't played in so long. But mick has been active recently. Although this wasn't a big nationally televised event. So it wasn't big enough for his ego. Whatever,it sure is fun to see guys who love to just play do it....and if the golden girls don't want to do anything then let's hope these guys find a way to get together and play music some more.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #101 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 10:58pm
I'm thinkin' the soul and the class of the Stones showed up for this tribute. Good on ya Charlie, Mick, Bill, and Ronnie! Grin

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #102 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 3:06am
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

My mum and sisters were in London last night and I can't believe I had no idea about this  you made a grown man cry I would have blackmailed them into going and shooting a million photos and videos  Grin
That will teach me to check the board more often and more carefully.... sigh...

Charlie, Mick T. and Ronnie on stage together. (Yeah, I still don't care much for Bill  taylor made smile  Ouch! )
This is indeed amazing. 

Now, the Glimmers' absence... The plot thickens...

FotiniD  
IP Logged

RSRTG
Rocks Off Regular

Adelaide, Australia
Reply #103 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 3:42am
I have thoroughly enjoyed the pics and vids Smiley  thanks to all for sharing them.....I really dont know wot to think anymore regarding Mick and Keith, a perfect opportunity for something unique and they dont show up......for whatever reason??? stu watching how stupid we are LOL

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #104 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 5:07am
Sioux wrote on Mar 9th, 2011 at 10:58pm:
I'm thinkin' the soul and the class of the Stones showed up for this tribute. Good on ya Charlie, Mick, Bill, and Ronnie! Grin

My sentiments exactly.

Thanks for the great photos of these smiling and happy guys.  Looks like they were all having a great time celebrating the life of someone who was so vital to their success.

Will have to check the videos later.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #105 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 6:43am
Gazza wrote on Mar 9th, 2011 at 6:27pm:
Some video footage already - thanks to stonesplanetbrazil

http://stonesplanetbrazil.blogspot.com/

These are so cool, I love seeing Woody & Mick T playing together, it's so great. They had good eye contact and played off each other nicely. Mick T still plays effortlessly. Ronnie's a real musician, he can play with anyone and everyone. Thats what I love about Ronnie, he's humble and not a big rock star ego tripper.

If KEEF couldnt be bothered to show up at least his daughter Angela did! She must of been on the guest list!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #106 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 6:51am
The Wick wrote on Mar 9th, 2011 at 8:30pm:
Mick and Keith are dicks. It shows that they have more in common with each other than the rest of the band. That bullshit speech of Keith at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame where he said I work for Ian Stewart was shown for what it was, empty words. These guys are swimming in money and the idea that they couldn't fly to their home country (not some far off place) even for one night is utter crap. People with far less means attend all types of things on the other side of the world. The only way I can see this as forgivable is if either or both of them had a serious reason for not attending. Not liking each other is not a serious reason.

Agree completely - and no doubt the tabloids will have a field day with it. And with good reason.

So, Mick can fly 6,000 miles to do a tribute to Solomon Burke, but he can't do a tribute to Ian Stewart in his hometown? Why not? Well, I suppose the ego factor of his performance being seen by 400 million people instead of 400 in a club may JUST have something to do with it? And Keith can fly all the way to London to sign a few books but he can't do the same to even make a cameo appearance as a tribute to the guy who, according to his autobiography, was mainly responsible for bringing the band together in the first place?

They could put aside their differences in 1986 when they performed together as a tribute to Stu. But they cant in 2011? Speaks volumes for what they've both become since Stu died, unfortunately. Fuck me, how difficult could it have been? What a pair of classless prima donnas.

The Stones as a live band basically dont and wont exist unless there's some promoter out there willing to stump up a nine figure sum to entice Mick and Keith to tolerate each other being in the same room for months on end.

I know the show wasn't ABOUT the Stones, and Stu wasn't JUST the band's piano player, so it was good that the music reflected different aspects opf his career. The Stones WERE a part of that and there's really no excuse for them getting together and playing even a couple of songs together as a band.

It sounds like it was still a great night without them and everyone seems to have enjoyed it which is the main thing. I'd have loved to have been able to go. Great to see four of the six surviving band members together, but there'll always be an element of 'what should have been' that will overshadow a memorable evening, unfortunately.

A huge 'well done' to Ben Waters for bringing everyone together and to all the musicians who gave their time to perform.
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2011 at 6:57am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #107 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 6:55am
I would refrain from judging them just yet. I can't help but remember all the sh*t we've been throwing at Keith for his lack of activity in the near past and then it turned out Patti had been sick. I'm not saying it's matter of illness this time too, but I can't rush into conclusions without knowing exactly what happened.

And I think it would be unfair to doubt what Stu meant either to Mick or Keith, just because they didn't attend a gig, even a gig dedicated to him.

FotiniD  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #108 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 7:52am
FotiniD wrote on Mar 10th, 2011 at 6:55am:
I would refrain from judging them just yet. I can't help but remember all the sh*t we've been throwing at Keith for his lack of activity in the near past and then it turned out Patti had been sick. I'm not saying it's matter of illness this time too, but I can't rush into conclusions without knowing exactly what happened.

And I think it would be unfair to doubt what Stu meant either to Mick or Keith, just because they didn't attend a gig, even a gig dedicated to him.

Like I said previously, if the absence was health related (be it themselves or someone close) then fair enough. No question about that.

If that isn't the case, it reflects badly on both of them. Sorry, but to me there's no getting around that. It was a tribute to Stu, after all. Not someone they barely knew or hardly ever played with.

There's nothing to suggest that either of them had longstanding prior working commitments that would have clashed with it. Plus they both have residencies and family nearby. Its not as if the gig took place in Japan.

As a fan, it just disappoints me that they will not perform outside of a tour as a band. There have been opportunities in recent years for them to do so, and its ended up as a 'solo' gig or a half-band reunion - the RnR Hall of fame tribute in 1989, Live Aid, The Concert for New York, the 'Ronnie Wood & Fiends' show in London in 2005 - and now you can add last night to it.

The last time they did so? The Stu tribute in 1986. And THAT was a private gig for family and friends. You have to go all the way back to the Stones' surprise appearance at the two CNIB shows in Toronto in 1979 for the last time that they performed a public gig as a band which wasn't part of a tour. There hasnt even been a TV appearance in that time either.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #109 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 7:54am
Roostah wrote on Mar 9th, 2011 at 9:03pm:
LadyJane wrote on Mar 9th, 2011 at 8:25pm:
Hey Roostah!! Welcome home!!!! Stick around.

AMAZING pics. A glorious occasion in the history/legacy of the band.
I am moved by these shots; really really moved.

BUT.....

Where were they; especially Keith??

LJ.

Thank you kindly, Lady Jane!!!
Amazing pictures INDEED!

Welcome back, young fella. Dont be a stranger!

... ... ...
IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #110 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 8:05am
I see what you mean Gazza, but isn't this more important?

Gazza wrote on Mar 10th, 2011 at 7:52am:
The last time they did so? The Stu tribute in 1986. And THAT was a private gig for family and friends.

As a fan, I too would like to see them playing live more often, lock themselves in the studio and make some new music, have a better relationship as a band and see the Glimmers growing over their super-inflated egos - I'm with you 100%.

But if we were to see it as a gesture for Stu, I think what they did back in 86 was more important for them and him, than showing up in a public gig. It sure as hell wouldn't hurt if they did, and yes, they could have easily done it - but I just don't think we should rely much on this with regard to what it says about their respect for Stu.

FotiniD  
IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #111 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 8:27am
FotiniD wrote on Mar 10th, 2011 at 6:55am:

Like I said previously, if the absence was health related (be it themselves or someone close) then fair enough. No question about that.

If that isn't the case, it reflects badly on both of them. Sorry, but to me there's no getting around that. It was a tribute to Stu, after all. Not someone they barely knew or hardly ever played with.

There's nothing to suggest that either of them had longstanding prior working commitments that would have clashed with it. Plus they both have residencies and family nearby. Its not as if the gig took place in Japan.

As a fan, it just disappoints me that they will not perform outside of a tour as a band. There have been opportunities in recent years for them to do so, and its ended up as a 'solo' gig or a half-band reunion - the RnR Hall of fame tribute in 1989, Live Aid, The Concert for New York, the 'Ronnie Wood & Fiends' show in London in 2005 - and now you can add last night to it.

The last time they did so? The Stu tribute in 1986. And THAT was a private gig for family and friends. You have to go all the way back to the Stones' surprise appearance at the two CNIB shows in Toronto in 1979 for the last time that they performed a public gig as a band which wasn't part of a tour. There hasnt even been a TV appearance in that time either.

I have to agree with Gazza.
I am very disappointed in them and barring health reasons, SHAME ON YOU MICK AND KEITH for not
attending this tribute.

LJ.

IP Logged

TomL
Rocks Off Regular

Change the Fucking sets

Sweet Virginia
Reply #112 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 8:37am
thanks all, lovely.

...Her love is ecstasy When her arms enfold me I hear her tender rhapsody But in reality, she doesn't Fucking know me...JMI once again..... running away with me...........

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #113 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 8:44am
Hey, Ronnie and Mick do the "weave" pretty well. Search me, Mel, but maybe it's not Ronnie who needs to be fired!

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #114 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 9:07am

Shame that Mick and Keith weren't there, whatever their reasons.

A little written/video homage would've been nice, imo...

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2011 at 9:44am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #115 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 9:14am
Mel Belli wrote on Mar 10th, 2011 at 8:44am:
Hey, Ronnie and Mick do the "weave" pretty well. Search me, Mel, but maybe it's not Ronnie who needs to be fired!

Yeah,just get Mick Hucknall to sing and they can call themselves the Rolling Micks. Brian's smile

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #116 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 9:14am

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #117 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 9:35am

Some of the evening's performers and guests, pre- and post-show:

Mick Hucknall

Jools Holland

Kenney Jones

Shakin' Stevens

Angela Richards

pacificcoastnews.com
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2011 at 9:39am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #118 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 9:38am
did MT blow everyone off the stage?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #119 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 10:11am
FotiniD wrote on Mar 10th, 2011 at 8:05am:
I see what you mean Gazza, but isn't this more important?

The last time they did so? The Stu tribute in 1986. And THAT was a private gig for family and friends.

Not really, Fotini. I don't see that the two have to be mutually exclusive or that should be a pecking order of importance.

Not a single member of the public outside the band's inner circle saw that 1986 show. No one's asking or expecting them to pull off a 2-hour gig, but throwing fans a few crumbs once in a while by playing a few songs together as a band when a perfect and worthy opportunity presents itself isn't THAT much to ask, I think.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #120 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 10:20am
Thanks for all the great photos & video's, a great tribute for Stu, no excuse for Mick & keith not to be there, even for just one song.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #121 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 10:50am
No excuses for Keith especially.....too busy preening in his Pirate outfit?...My lifelong hero is turning more into a zero with every passing day.........

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Bingo
Rocks Off Regular

Exiled from IORR

Reply #122 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 11:00am
Mick and Keith should be ashamed of themselves. Are they really that removed from reality?  I wish that band would tour..the name would be Soul and Stones.

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #123 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 11:31am
Mopre pix from the show, same credits, Dave Benett with thanks to Moy!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #124 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 11:32am

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)