Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 23
Send Topic Print
Van Halen in the studio with Roth (Read 292,683 times)
mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Re: Van Halen in the studio with Roth
Reply #200 - Jan 7th, 2012 at 10:09am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Bitch wrote on Jan 7th, 2012 at 8:56am:
Good selection of venues ~ ticket sales begin Jamuary 14th and the price range is between $80 - $150.

yep the stones should follow that route!!!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #201 - Jan 8th, 2012 at 9:58am
Was Moonie there?

http://youtu.be/R-0fAT8Y8yo
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2012 at 3:56pm by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #202 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 11:05pm
Here it is before your naked streaming eyes!!!

http://youtu.be/3WfQ-hV3WtA
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2012 at 7:48am by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #203 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 7:56am
Good riff.
Eddie 5 out of 10 solo.
Has potential, is timely.
Tat sales will spike, studs next.
Big hit in strip clubs.

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #204 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 8:11am
pants off
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2012 at 8:40am by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #205 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 8:57am
I too was at the Café Wha? show Thursday night, and I’m still coming down from it. To the consternation of many, this was mainly a press and entertainment industry show. And I was with the former.

But on that night, I was first a Van Halen fan and second a journalist.

Like many of you, I’ve been sharing the ups and downs that have followed this soap opera forever. While in college I was on the old mailing list and still proudly wear my W.D.F.A. shirt that we had made up to pledge our allegiance to this band. I waited out the delivery of the UN-CDs, bitching about Dan Shaner and his lack of timeliness like everyone else who ponied up the cash for a bunch of music most of us hadn’t heard.

Counting down the 1996 VMA appearance with two of my best friends and fellow VH-lovers as we threw a mini VMA-watch to see it unfold was unforgettable. On a chilly October morning in October of the next year, the three of us took a bus up from Philly overnight so that we could meet Dave when he did Howard Stern that morning. All we wanted to do was shake his hand and thank him for the music, but he was insistent on signing anything we had. There were the typical douche-bags with guitars and all six albums to be signed after his appearance, but he knew who the real fans were and went out of his way to talk to us. He ended it by saying, “You guys made my day.” Jaw-dropping moment.

There was the face-palm moment when Gary Cherone became the new singer, but was there with the rest of the mailing list members who were granted backstage access for the first leg of that tour, meeting up with the band for the briefest of moments.

I caught the last tour three times, and have written about the group so many times for a column I do for a newspaper outside of Philly that it has at times been in danger of being a printed version of the VHND.

So when the Café Wha? show was announced last week, I was on it. Over the years I’ve developed enough of a professional relationship with Janie so that she knows who I am. Unfortunately, she told me on Tuesday, the list for the show was a capacity but she would let me know if a spot opened up. I figured there was no chance, but decided to hit her up again on Wednesday to see if there was any chance.

Nada – didn’t even hear back.

Come Thursday, I planned on settling in and refreshing the message board to see how the show went down. But at about 1:20pm, I got an e-mail from Janie asking me if I was on assignment to cover the show. I told her I was and with who and she said those fateful words, “OK, I’ll see you tonight my friend.”

At this point, everything started moving really fast, the spinning in my head at the top of the list. I live in Boston now, and I was going to have to make some quick, rational decisions, especially since I was downtown, dressed like a stockbroker and not very rock and roll. I jumped the next orange line T home, changed out of the stiff duds, threw a bunch of shit in my backpack (laptop, camera, recorder, etc.) and busted it down to Back Bay station where I had an Acela waiting for me at 3:20pm. Janie had told me doors were at 7pm and to please arrive early. Acela got in at 6:55pm and I was at Café Wha? by 7:15pm.

As James noted, the streets were packed and the tiny club was quickly filling up. A waitress tried to seat me against one of the walls with a side view of the stage, but after two minutes I couldn’t sit still and decided to check out the space. Turns out there wasn’t much to see. No bar, just wall to wall people. I made a conscious decision not to drink because I wanted to take this experience in a soberly as possible. Plus, I was on a tight deadline.

Rolling Stone’s David Fricke and Joe Levy were there. I ad actually met Fricke a few months prior in a hotel lobby in Iceland. He said he wasn’t at the show to cover it, but was there because, “It’s Van Halen!” Bumped into Eddie Trunk who I had interviewed when his book came out last year, and he was predictably excited as well. He’s pretty much the genuine deal that you see on television, just a big fan like the rest of us.

There is absolutely ZERO reception in Café Wha? and I had to go up onto the street to send a text. That’s where I ran into Janie, who is absolutely stunning in person and really short. I thanked her for getting me in and made random small talk. She’s a very cool chick.

Getting close to 8pm, I decided that screw it, I was going to get right up to the stage. I can’t stress how small the place is though, and the aisle between the tables next to the stage is super-slim. I positioned myself right in front of Dave’s mic, and people soon filled in behind me, making it even tighter. Some guy from Esquire magazine kept bumping into me and apologizing, but he was getting bumped too. I told him, “Dude, you could knife me in the back right now and I wouldn’t care – this is going to be awesome.”

Cut to around 8:15pm and I get bumped again from behind and dude puts his hand on my shoulder and says he’s sorry. I turn around and tell him no worries – and I’m staring right at Alex Van Halen. So I say what comes naturally, “Holy shit – Alex Van Halen,” and he says “Hey.” Eddie is behind him and I basically right in front of me as well and I say, “Eddie – what’s up?” He said, “Man, we’re just trying to figure out how to get on that stage!” I say, “Just get on up right here!” Dave was behind Wolfie who was behind Eddie and he says, “Yeah, fellas, fellas, let’s just go through here and get onstage.”

As full as the club was, there really weren’t many people who knew that it was Van Halen. The guys were all dressed down, and they just kind of snuck up on everyone. By the time they got onstage, people hadn’t had enough time to process it was them. I actually help Alex and Eddie up onto the stage (I cannot believe I just typed that), said “Hey Wolf” who was all, “Hey, what’s going on man?” and Dave shook my hand and gave me a wink and a smile as I let him through.

The boys ripped into YRGM and it all started to sink in. Dave was inches from my face singing the lyrics to songs I had committed to memory. And during “Panama,” during the breakdown, Dave started asking for a drink. Finally a waitress came through the crowd behind me, but was too small to fully push through. Dave saw the drink but couldn’t reach it, I turned to her, she asked if I could get it, and I reached up and grabbed the tall glass off the server’s tray and handed it to Dave, who gave me a wink and a smile as he said thank you. It spilled on my hand, and smelled of Jack Daniels. The guy from Esquire and a few other people were grabbing me and screaming, “You just handed Diamond Dave a drink!!”

The rest you pretty much know, and here is the take I did for the Boston Phoenix of the show itself. I didn’t take much video or many photos, because I wanted to take it all in and not look back on shitty self-taken footage at a later date. There was a tiny Asian guy next to me who didn’t put down his camera once. He screamed out all the songs and I could tell he was a fan, but keeping the camera out the entire time wasn’t for me.

I got to see the interaction between all the bandmembers, especially Eddie and Dave, and was paying super close attention to their mannerisms. When Dave was telling that long-winded story before “Somebody Get Me a Doctor” and Wolfie hit a note on his bass, Dave said, “Hold up a second there junior.” I immediately thought they were going to break-up right then and there. How can Dave admonish Ed’s kid right in front of him? But Ed smiled at Wolfie, a mischevious one, and then played a few notes of his own. Dave then realized he was dragging it out and quickly wrapped it up, but was smiling about that too. And like he said later in the show, “You can’t fake it up here.” And every smile and laugh seemed genuine as could be.

Other than that, there was some fun celeb spotting, McEnroe, Fallon, but most of the audience, press, media or not, all seemed to be into it. There was one jerk. A self-entitled prick who I once was a fan of his writing. It was Chuck Klosterman, and he was content to hang back and talk all night to people, barely focusing on the show. I don’t know if he was wasted or what, but after the show he was obnoxious as all hell, and telling anyone who would listen, “I didn’t even know they were doing a show! They contacted me and asked me to go and I said why not?”

I could’ve punched him in the face.

He’s the type of media many of you feared would be there, but rest assured, I think most were more like you and me.

-VH Links

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #206 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 9:33am
Nellcote wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 7:56am:
Good riff.
Big hit in strip clubs.

That is the desired demographic. really?

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #207 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 9:51am
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 9:33am:
Nellcote wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 7:56am:
Good riff.
Big hit in strip clubs.

That is the desired demographic. really?

I have never cared for tramp stamps.

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #208 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 10:07am
excellent work out song this morning. we look forward to this album in my house. blows away anything, anything with Sammy.

Thank You.

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #209 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 10:20am
Some Guy wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 10:07am:
excellent work out song this morning. we look forward to this album in my house. blows away anything, anything with Sammy.

Thank You.

I'm not riding that horse just yet.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #210 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 10:27am
Nellcote wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 10:20am:

Thank You.

Bring back Anthony Michael Hall.
« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2012 at 10:43am by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #211 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 10:55am
Some Guy wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 10:27am:
Nellcote wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 10:20am:

Thank You.

Bring back Anthony Michael Hall.

I thought that during the chorus.
Young Wolfie does not have that range.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #212 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 10:58am
kool and the gang opening shows?

SCL?

http://youtu.be/3GwjfUFyY6M

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #213 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:08am
Some Guy wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 8:57am:
I made a conscious decision not to drink because I wanted to take this experience in a soberly as possible. Plus, I was on a tight deadline.

-VH Links

admitting to sobriety at a van halen concert is like admittng you like to watch sex in the city..........

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #214 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:15am
mojoman wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 10:58am:
kool and the gang opening shows?

SCL?

http://youtu.be/3GwjfUFyY6M

I'm waiting until saturday afternoon before I celebrate anything Mojo. That's when the 49er defense will be Unchained! Shit!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #215 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 11:55am
Made a Kroger run and cranked it in the car. It blew the paint off! I gotta see Earl Scheib.

IP Logged

god
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #216 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 12:26pm
Some Guy wrote on Jan 9th, 2012 at 11:05pm:

That is simply AWFUL...I'm a huge classic VH fan, and I could not be more disappointed. That song sucks.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress."-John Adams&&&&"If your child needs a role model and you're not it, you're both fucked".-George Carlin&&

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #217 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 4:34pm
god wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 12:26pm:

That is simply AWFUL...I'm a huge classic VH fan, and I could not be more disappointed. That song sucks.

Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #218 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 5:06pm
god wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 12:26pm:

you're being very undude...

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #219 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 5:40pm
What an awesome solo...so fresh sounding like nothing he has ever done before.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #220 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 6:55pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Jan 10th, 2012 at 5:40pm:
What an awesome solo...so fresh sounding like nothing he has ever done before.

I get sarcasm. you made a grown man cry

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #221 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 8:26pm
LOVE IT! BETTER WITH EACH LISTEN !

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #222 - Jan 11th, 2012 at 8:28pm
The New Van Halen Track
Now if that doesn’t make you want to log on to Ticketmaster and buy a ticket you probably don’t have a tattoo and never contemplated getting one, you probably graduated from college and are a winner, you never drove a mini-truck, drank a case of beer and wished you were something more but decided that for now, who you are is enough.

Now this is not the unexpected sonic explosion of "Why Can’t This Be Love", when Van Halen truly had something to prove with Dave off on a solo career and new singer Sammy Hager in place. Still, if you were ever a fan it satisfies.

Top Forty radio ain’t gonna play it, doesn’t matter what the reviewers say, they hated the band until everyone suddenly agreed Eddie was one of the greats, this is just for you. Who’ve waited, who’ve still believed, that despite your pot belly and thinning hair, despite the sand running through the hourglass, your prayers could still be answered, that deep inside you’re still eighteen and it’s so fucking great to be alive.

You’re sitting there hoping it doesn’t suck. And the repetition of the lyric in the chorus is a bit disappointing, Dave never took the easy way out, but then suddenly your butt is squirming in your seat, your arms are in the air, you’re dancing, you’ve wearing a shiteating grin and you’re saying to yourself THIS IS FUCKING GREAT!

Now you’ve got to start with the video, on the band’s homepage:

Van Halen home page
Sure, you miss Michael Anthony, but you get over that pretty quick since Wolfie’s aged, but what gets you is the swagger, the essence of what the band always was is still there. Dave knows we’re watching and he’s doing his best to be the coolest dude on the planet. Still, as always, it’s about Eddie. This is what made us all want to pick up the guitar and play. He just looks so fucking COOL! His axe is part of him, the way he bends his knee, how the fuck does he do this?

Meanwhile, they appear to be having fun. You remember fun, right? Sure, the money and the chicks were good, but it meant nothing if that amplified sound didn’t make you feel like the most powerful person on earth!

And just when you think it’s Dave’s monopolizing the track, two and a half minutes into it, Eddie starts to WAIL! His guitar is firing bullets and you’re writhing in ecstasy with the pain of being shot.

And it’s all so fucking EFFORTLESS!

But it gets better, hang on until the end, just when you think the song is over…. At 4:20, when the track quiets down and Eddie wrings this writhing sound from his guitar, like in "Finish What Ya Started", but this is mellower and so simple yet so utterly perfect.

And the second time through you notice a bit more texture under the track, Eddie was always a keyboard wizard too, never forget "Jump", and you’re contemplating whether the track is really that great and then you say, FUCK IT, I LOVE THIS!

I almost bought it, I couldn’t take the time to steal it.

Then I wondered, how hip was this band, how of the moment. The Vimeo clip on the homepage stuttered a ton the first time through, could "Tattoo" be on Spotify? OF COURSE!

And I played "5150" until the grooves were gray. Even though I believe the Dave era was better. When they remastered the greatest hits the first time through, back in ‘96, I couldn’t stop playing "And The Cradle Will Rock…"

And it positively will. Any young ‘un who sees this video is gonna have to go to the show. This ain’t nostalgia, this is as new as an iPhone, but it’s positively ALIVE!

Nerds have inherited the world, with their software and gadgets. But in one fell swoop Van Halen has taken it back.

THAT’S THE POWER OF ROCK AND ROLL!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #223 - Jan 12th, 2012 at 12:14pm
Starbuck wrote on Oct 24th, 2011 at 7:42pm:
that new song has got me really psyched about the album!! Any more news??

1. Tattoo

You've all heard this one - not a bad groove, would have been better later in the album

2. She's The Woman

This should have been the kick off. Old time VH feel, great rocker with DLR on top form

3. You and Your Blues

Surprisingly laid back. Probably the coolest VH track I've heard. killer solo - didnt think Eddie had this sort of thing in him

4. China Town

This seems another oldie - a bit like Running With The Devil, big riff and big vocals. Wolfie does a great job on this one.

5. Blood and Fire

I'm On Fire 2. Fast paced rocker with classic VH sound. Solo could have come from any of the first 2 albums

6. Bullethead

Another Full on rocker. Hot For Teacher drum beat. A bit ordinary.

7. As Is

This was a real surprise. Could be Hagar era VH. Melodic, slower, understated in many ways. Best track on the album.

8. sweetiebabydoll

Don't like this. More bubblegum DLR solo than VH. Skip

9. The Trouble With Never

Another 'ballad'. Solid but a bit safe.

10. Outta Space

Outta Love more like. It has that groove to it.

11. Stay Frosty

This is another I think I've heard before. Women and Children first feel to it.

12. Big River

Another huge riff and classic Eddy fast solo. DLR on top form

13. Beats Workin'

Similar feel to She's A Woman. A great ending to a better-than-anticipated album.

another review-
1. Tattoo

You've heard it.

2. She's The Woman

Dave said he got the idea for this "while watching Lynda Carter in Wonder Woman"

3. You and Your Blues

Acoustic Intro. Cover of an old Blind Lemon Pie song. Al sings backup!

4. China Town

Samples DeNiro saying "I will take you down.. to China Town" and the Vapors "Turning Japanese"

5. Blood and Fire

Sequel to Fire in the Hole

6. Bullethead

Straight Thrash Metal. Who knew Eddie could shred like that?

7. As Is

Continues where How Many Say I left off..

8. sweetiebabydoll

Britney meets Van Halen

9. The Trouble With Never

Sequel to "The Inside"

10. Outta Space

Billy Preston cover

11. Stay Frosty

Ice Cream man feel...

12. Big River

A song about Aliens. And waterways.

13. Beats Workin'

Samples Run DMC. 

« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2012 at 7:53pm by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #224 - Jan 16th, 2012 at 6:43pm
Diamond Dave soundboard
http://geaky.com/262-David-Lee-Roth-SoundBoard.html

Enjoy! http://vimeo.com/35173319

"Tattoo," the lead single from Van Halen's Feb. 7 comeback album with David Lee Roth, "A Different Kind of Truth," the band's first since 1984's "1984" to feature Roth on lead vocals, blasts onto Rock Songs at No. 16. The song arrives with 4.6 million first-week audience impressions on 78 stations, according to Nielsen BDS.

Hot Shot Debut No. 16 "Tattoo" Van Halen

« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2012 at 2:46am by Some Guy »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 23
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)