Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Goats Head Soup (Read 1,761 times)
SoulPlunderer
Rocks Off Regular

Northern Ireland
Goats Head Soup
May 29th, 2010 at 8:50am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Well, its not a great day. Its cold, rainy and there isn't much to do, so i've decided that today is Goats Head Soup day! It is a warm yet melancholy album which is vastly underated by critics and fans.

There has been talk on these boards about this possibly being an album to re-release interms of duluxe ditions and extra songs. The recording sessions for this record are obviously not as infamous or well known as those for Exile, but they seem pretty interesting in themselves as the Stones continue their period of exile and roll into Jamaica to record the album. What legends or stories do we know about this overlooked period in the bands history? And more imporantly, what tracks recorded here could be used on a potential Duluxe Edition, either complete or to be worrked on by Mick?

I feel that if the Stones market this right, they could make out lesser known periods of the bands history such as this or maybe the Black and Blue sessions/auditions to be more interesting in the eyes of the general public and these great albums and tracks could get the recognition they deserve.

"We're exiled, baby, and this is how it goes."&&&&-Keith Richards

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Aussie land
Re: Goats Head Soup
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2010 at 5:10am
This album needs to be totally re-mixed. The muddiness of Exile worked once, but i dont think it works on the album. I suppose they could include "drift away" as a bonus track. And hopefully "Starfucker" will be left intact.

Clean it up & add 5 or so songs, and i'll re-buy it.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

eric
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #2 - May 30th, 2010 at 5:42pm

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #3 - May 30th, 2010 at 6:56pm
Drift Awat came from IORR sessions... Criis Cross Man was from GHS... a very famous, and ready for commerical release type of bootlegged song. There's a very cool, though poor in quality song called Seperately, that really shows Taylor at his finest... no vocals on it, so it would be perfect for Jagger to mess with...
I have some other bootlegs, with different mixes from GHS, and I really like them. There's a great version of Silver Train where the mix has more slide guitar and the guitar sound isbn't muddy...
I can't think of other unreleased songs from these sessions of my head... but like was said, they could throw  5 or 6 interesting tracks as a bonus easilyl, without much effort from anyone but Jagger doing vocals and Taylor working some guitar dubs... there might a be a few Keith vocal tracks out there too...

I'm still ready for some Girls deluxe first and foremost.... for me, that is a must do... then a b-sides mixes release, the SF's... then the other stuff...

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #4 - May 31st, 2010 at 6:18am
I got Criss cross man. Got my sessions mixed up, eh? Another interesting thing i liked about this was how Billy Preston's influence is all over it. Sure, he certainly changed the sounds of SF & EXile, but he came into his own on this and IORR. Amazing to think his contribution to the band lasted so long and was so profound.

Yet no one went to his funeral!

Now, if they do similar to GHS what they did to Exile, does that mean we get a doco & a certified dvd of the 73 Euro tour?

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

SoulPlunderer
Rocks Off Regular

Northern Ireland
Reply #5 - May 31st, 2010 at 2:54pm
corgi37 wrote on May 31st, 2010 at 6:18am:
I got Criss cross man. Got my sessions mixed up, eh? Another interesting thing i liked about this was how Billy Preston's influence is all over it. Sure, he certainly changed the sounds of SF & EXile, but he came into his own on this and IORR. Amazing to think his contribution to the band lasted so long and was so profound.

Now, if they do similar to GHS what they did to Exile, does that mean we get a doco & a certified dvd of the 73 Euro tour?

I think there was a bit of a fall out between Preston and the band after the European Tour in 1976. I hear that it was down to money issues but he could have felt annoyed at being forced out as they tryed to get back to having a more stripped back and grittier soung going into the Some Girls era. So I don't think the Stones were on good terms with Preston.

IP Logged

uncleson
Rocks Off Regular

USA
Reply #6 - May 31st, 2010 at 4:57pm
Goats Head Soup is a great album, and I think youve got a fine idea.

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #7 - May 31st, 2010 at 5:37pm
Lost of god stuff available ! From : http://stones.servebeer.com/Trax/1970.htm

60        1972        Kingston        Criss Cross Man        Various        Y        Was used in a Japanese Metamorphosis animation !         
61      1972      Kingston      After Muddy & Charlie      No      x      .      ME
62      1972      Kingston      Brown Leaves      No      x      rerecorded in 1978 (same song ?)      JK
63      1972      Kingston      First Thing      No      x      .      JK
64      1972      Kingston      Four and In      No      x      .      ME
65      1972      Kingston      Give us a Break      No      x      .      ME
66      1972      Kingston      Jamaica I      No      x      .      ME
67      1972      Kingston      Miami      No      x      .      JK
68      1972      Kingston      Separately      Megatrax 1      Y      Instrumental      .
69      1972      Kingston      Waiting On My Friend      CYWOTW      Y      Rerecorded for Tattoo You w/S.Rollins      .
70      1972      Kingston      You Should Have Seen Her Ass      CYWOTW      Y      .      .
71      1972      Kingston      Zabadoo      No      x      .      JK

IP Logged

dadrob
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #8 - May 31st, 2010 at 5:40pm
Billy Preston refused to sign before the tour that generated Love You Live n then held the band up for more dough than they cared to pay him...Mac wrote about that in his book...the 2009 remaster to perk those tracks up quite a bit to my ears.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #9 - May 31st, 2010 at 5:43pm
SoulPlunderer wrote on May 31st, 2010 at 2:54pm:
corgi37 wrote on May 31st, 2010 at 6:18am:

I think there was a bit of a fall out between Preston and the band after the European Tour in 1976. I hear that it was down to money issues but he could have felt annoyed at being forced out as they tryed to get back to having a more stripped back and grittier soung going into the Some Girls era. So I don't think the Stones were on good terms with Preston.

Billy was still with them at the El Mocambo shows in March 1977.

If there were money issues, he was hardly the first or last keyboardist the Stones have treated shabbily!
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2010 at 5:44pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

SoulPlunderer
Rocks Off Regular

Northern Ireland
Reply #10 - May 31st, 2010 at 5:49pm
eric wrote on May 30th, 2010 at 5:42pm:

Thanks for the link! I love this site, all the Stones quotes are great and I find it interesting to hear then critique their own music.

IP Logged

texile
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #11 - May 31st, 2010 at 8:01pm
SoulPlunderer wrote on May 29th, 2010 at 8:50am:
I feel that if the Stones market this right, they could make out lesser known periods of the bands history such as this or maybe the Black and Blue sessions/auditions to be more interesting in the eyes of the general public and these great albums and tracks could get the recognition they deserve.  

Good point....I think these albums hold a special place in many Stones fans' hearts. GHS, IORR and B&B - they were different than the others and in a good way. These albums were so cool to discover because after wearing out Hot Rocks, then Fazed Cookies, then the early stuff, then the classics with all the hits (BB through SF (Exile is a thing all to itself), this trio of releases was so exotic to me. I would love for songs like Winter, If You Really Want to Be My Friend, Hide Your Love, Coming Down Again to be rediscovered. This was such a mellow time for the Stones and that was reflected in the music. Keith was struggling, but Mick was starting to live in America and it sounded like he was listening to the US charts, Ohio PLayers, Marvin Gaye, Stevie....etc. Musically, this is when the Stones adopted more of the influences of American soul and funk music, probably the best thing about music in the early to mid 70s.

IP Logged

buddhabone
Rocks Off Regular

California
Reply #12 - May 31st, 2010 at 9:47pm
I've always thought of GHS as a bad hangover record.

The impact of heroin is evident in the songs and hazy and lazy production.

Angie has always really bothered me.

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #13 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 6:32am
buddhabone wrote on May 31st, 2010 at 9:47pm:
The impact of heroin is evident in the songs and hazy and lazy production.

Angie has always really bothered me.

Yes, especially "Coming Down Again" I always loved "Winter"
Angie Bowie has this to say about "Angie"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfUuEPQwgyY

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #14 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 8:17am
I absolute LOVE Goats head soup.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #15 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 10:39am
the 3 albums after exile, show a band regaining financial stabilty, but losing the tightness of the relationships within the band. Taylor was unhappy, Keith was loaded and Jagger realized what mega-stardom and his ego were really all about... those forcess internally while tryinfg to remain a viable current band and sell records.... Best thing that could happen, did happen to The Stones... Taylor leaving, Keith's bust in Canada and these young brash rockers better known as punk rockers challenging the music establishment and these dinosaur bands, who, were in their 30's (haha, so old at the time). That hewlped light a creative fire under their asses, for a great era and a third rising of the phoenix from the fire.
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2010 at 10:43am by Pdog »  

IP Logged

buddhabone
Rocks Off Regular

California
Reply #16 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 11:14am
Pdog wrote on Jun 1st, 2010 at 10:39am:
the 3 albums after exile, show a band regaining financial stabilty, but losing the tightness of the relationships within the band. Taylor was unhappy, Keith was loaded and Jagger realized what mega-stardom and his ego were really all about... those forcess internally while tryinfg to remain a viable current band and sell records.... Best thing that could happen, did happen to The Stones... Taylor leaving, Keith's bust in Canada and these young brash rockers better known as punk rockers challenging the music establishment and these dinosaur bands, who, were in their 30's (haha, so old at the time). That hewlped light a creative fire under their asses, for a great era and a third rising of the phoenix from the fire.

Very well said.

IP Logged

texile
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #17 - Jun 1st, 2010 at 3:24pm
Pdog wrote on Jun 1st, 2010 at 10:39am:

True, but that's life, even for rock stars.....Mick, Keith, Charlie, Bill had been together for a long time and had lived that rock and roll life, they couldn't stay in that club house forever. I always thought it was unfair when people blamed Jagger for the direction of the band in the mid-70s...as Stu once said, 'Mick kept it together when Keith wasn't interested.' If it were not for Jagger, we might not have had these albums or tours with Keith in the state he was in. Junkies are not easy to live or deal with.
These three albums are what the Stones sounded like with Keith out of commission. Even the great Lester Bangs had a soft spot for GHS. Exile was epic because the era was epic. By the mid-70s, things had changed. It was transitionary and the Stones, led by Mick, made it through. It may have been a lull, but that was the mid-70s in a way. Everything, everybody was in a lull....which is why punk eventually exploded....and which made the Stones comeback with Some Girls, again, led by Mick, even sweeter.
I'm very protective of this period of Stones history because I like these albums....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)