Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 106
Send Topic Print
The "All Ronnie" thread (Read 181,026 times)
LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

The "All Ronnie" thread
Dec 18th, 2009 at 6:50pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
More of the same with some new twists.

Have The Stones dumped Ronnie Wood over his tawdry romance?

Doesn't she look dewy and radiant? With her blonde hair stylishly backcombed and a pile of Topshop bracelets adorning her slender arms, Ekaterina Ivanova could be someone's daughter celebrating her A-levels - rather than a Russian 'artist' announcing her separation from Rolling Stone Ronnie Wood in this week's Hello! magazine.

Her interview is presented in a very 'Hello!' style. In fact, the reality of the 21-year-old's liaison with alcoholic Wood - who left his wife of 23 years for Ekaterina, then fell off the wagon in spectacular style, only to be observed dragging her along the street in Claygate, Surrey, and threatening her with a lighted cigarette - is sordid and unpleasant.

But Ekaterina, also known as Katya, manages to coat the whole tawdry story in sugar. 'We used to draw together, dance, joke,' she says. 'The whole thing started off like a fairy tale, but then it felt like an evil fairy tale. I'd be trapped there with an evil goblin king.'

In the interview, Katya reveals not very much about life with Ronnie - who is 41 years her senior - and doesn't seem to waste a shred of sympathy on him or feel a twinge of guilt about her part in ending his happy and supportive marriage with Jo, 54.

Their one pastime, says Katya, was watching rubbish satellite TV together - but Ronnie was often 'very drunk', especially towards the end of the romance. He used to have violent tantrums and do silly impressions of her voice.

'In the end I think he needed to be mothered. I think that's the kind of person he needs to be with. I tried and tried but it didn't make me happy,' she says - with the selfishness often displayed by the very young.

That Jo Wood had selflessly been performing precisely that function for Ronnie - and that it had made both of them happy - seems not to occur to her.

And so, after 18 months, she's off. Katya was this week trying to sell her story, once again, for more money.

Her PR adviser, Phil Hall, hints there is plenty which she hasn't been able to tell, for legal reasons - presumably because it touches on allegations of domestic violence. 'She has a lot more to say, if she chooses to,' he tells me.

But, as Katya exits, what of Ronnie? He doesn't, it transpires, have any great dispute with her version of their disastrous romance. But it is a liaison which has had severe consequences for him.

Not only has it cost him his marriage but, as we shall see, Ronnie's dalliance with Katya will probably end up costing him his place in the Rolling Stones.

David Rigg, Ronnie's spokesman, told me: 'We are not going to comment (on Katya's interview). Ronnie will not be making any statements or giving any interviews.'

Rigg confirms Ronnie has no professional engagements of any sort lined up. In fact, his diary seems to be entirely blank.
Considering this, it is perhaps surprising that he has turned down Jo's generous offer to come back to the old marital home for a Christmas lunch.

He could have joined his wife, children and their extended family around the table at their home, Holmwood, a hunting lodge which backs onto Richmond Park in South-West London.

But I'm told that last Sunday, when Jo offered him the chance to come back for lunch, Ronnie asked her: 'What about the other 364 days of the year?' He quite clearly wants his wife back - but the answer to that, at least for now, is no. It seems Ronnie is truly on his own.

The trendy friends he used to have, such as model Kate Moss and party organiser Fran Cutler, stopped seeing him when he was with Katya because she complained they looked down on her. She used to say they made her feel like the Soho waitress she once was.

Ronnie no longer speaks to bandmate Keith Richards either, despite the fact the pair were great drink and drug buddies for years. Friends tell me they fell out some time ago.

Even Mick Jagger is steering clear. I have been told he is looking for a new guitarist for the Rolling Stones and, despite the fact the Stones have always denied there will be a tour in 2010, it is now looking like a distinct possibility.

And if the rumours are true and another money-spinning Stones tour does go ahead, you can bet it will do so without unreliable Ronnie.

'It's one thing to say "Let's have the Stones frightening the grannies, let's all be debauched and wild", but it's just not acceptable to have one seen choking his girlfriend,' said a friend of the band's.

'There are two things you can't be seen to do, which is hit women and get involved with under-age girls. Thanks to Ronnie and Bill Wyman (who seduced and went on to marry 13-year-old Mandy Smith), Mick has had a full house now.'

It's all such a contrast to the calm days when Jo was Ronnie's loyal linchpin.

She used to be on the Stones' payroll as Ronnie's 'dresser' and would come along on every tour, cooking him organic beans on toast and free-range poached eggs on a little Primus stove. You could argue that she was almost as much a member of the band as he was.

Jagger had sided with Jo from the beginning. 'Mick tried to intervene right at the start of the relationship with Katya,' says the friend.

'There was a plan to set up Katya in a flat in Tottenham Court Road, get Ronnie to rehab and then lead him back to Jo.
'Mick has always relied on Jo to be his conduit through to Ronnie - he has relied on her to get Ronnie to work, to keep him well enough to pass a medical for the tour.

'Without Jo, Ronnie would never have managed to go on tour, you can't do it unless you have insurance, and you won't get insurance without the medical. It's always been up to Jo to get him through all that.

'All communication has gone through Jo for years, so now Mick has really washed his hands of Ronnie. The feeling is that he can't come back after this one. Ronnie's always been a bit lost and, without Jo, nobody can reach him.'

After the violent incident with Katya, police bailed Ronnie until January 10 on suspicion of assault. Who knows whether he will face charges.

He is said to be 'in a bad way', drinking heavily on his own, with no one to stop him. He is a lifelong alcoholic, has been to rehab at least seven times and has been told often that if he does not stop drinking, it will kill him.

Ronnie is, though, in the grip of a downward spiral which is familiar to his loved ones, who have seen him on this path before.
He does not answer his telephone and he does not respond to emails, not even from Jo. The only person he sees, I'm told, is Jamie, Jo's son from a previous relationship.

This is quite a surprise because Jamie used to manage the rocker, but he was sacked earlier this year when Ronnie was under Katya's influence.

But Jamie still loves Ronnie and must be a forgiving sort because he visits Ronnie in his rented Surrey home to see how he is getting on. Ronnie also sees one friend - an artist named Bruce - and his chauffeur. Beyond that, there seems to be no one at all.
'Katya has had a really damaging effect on Ronnie,' says one of Jo's friends.

'Jo had helped to keep him integrated socially and to keep him in with the Stones and in with his friends and in with his family.

'The view from here is that with Katya it was all just booze and sex - and he ditched everything for that.'

The Wood family blame Ekaterina for 'isolating' Ronnie and are desperately worried about his health. Jo keeps on telling friends she just wants to get Ronnie to see a doctor. She has asked him to, but he has slipped beyond her control.

Although Jo says she is happy - liberated and reborn now she does not have to take care of Ronnie's every need, put up with his moods or take responsibility for moderating his drinking - people who know her think she may yet take him back.
One close friend of Jo's put the chances of that at 50-50 this week.

The fact Jo has not found a man since they split last July is significant. Jo has always loved Ronnie deeply and is now having to ask herself whether she can make the sacrifice necessary to save him again.

'Jo has always treated Ronnie like one of her children and you don't ever stop loving a child, no matter what they do,' said a friend.
Officially, Jo will not say anything. Her spokeswoman Gemma Waters says she 'wouldn't know at all' if a reunion is on the cards. 'Jo is just busy planning for Christmas, she says. 'I know that Ronnie isn't going for Christmas dinner,' she told me.

'He was asked, but he definitely isn't going.'

That Jo seems to be having cold feet over her plans to sell their family home and move into a bachelor-girl flat does, however, appear suggestive.

'I don't know whether she is really going to put the house on the market after New Year. It has been a happy home and she has loved living in it,' says Gemma.

Selling up would be a definitive way of moving on, and although Jo talks a lot about doing just that, the people close to her think she doesn't quite have the ruthless edge necessary to cut her ties in this way. Especially as it is so clear that Ronnie is in a crisis.
Ronnie isn't in rehab, but it is obvious he needs to go. He has been told he has emphysema, but continues to smoke. He has been told another few months of drinking will kill him, and yet he continues with that, too.

Ronnie has made and lost a fortune at least twice over but remains helplessly naive about money. And now he is drinking again, there is little prospect of him earning more. His family suspect Katya did pretty well out of him - he is a generous man.
As she herself said in Hello!: 'He's generous with everybody. He'll buy stuff for people he's just met.'

There is a theory that Katya's mother Irina prodded Ronnie into making generous gifts to her daughter - such as buying a car, setting up a bank account for her, giving her constant gifts and so on.

They think Irina used to encourage this generosity by telling Ronnie: 'If it wasn't for you, Katya would be at university - look at what she has given up for you.'

That said, Katya does not seem to have exited the liaison with much more than she had when she went into it. Her effect, though, on Ronnie has been immense and, beyond any doubt, destructive.

After going through rehab last summer, he fairly quickly started to drink wine again and some months ago moved back on to vodka and brandy.

He knows it is bad for him - as he told an interviewer a couple of months ago: 'Mr Hyde comes out, and the older I get the worse I get.'

Katya certainly never seems to have tried very hard to keep Ronnie sober.

They would start off on a binge by drinking a lot together, then she would decide she'd had enough and Ronnie would just want to keep on going. Inevitably they would argue. She was, in the early days, a heavy boozer like him.

'We would have the best nights out, then I would know how to stop and he wouldn't,' she told Hello! - demonstrating an ignorance about alcoholism which almost takes your breath away.

Ronnie is reckless about his health. He's been told so often he's about to die that he doesn't take any notice of the doctors. He calls himself a 'permanent teenager' but his family think, at 62, he's heading for the grave.

Is there anyone, you wonder, who can save him?

LJ.

« Last Edit: May 29th, 2011 at 1:22am by Unholy Trinity »  

IP Logged

Teiz
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Almere, Amsterdams ugly twin
Re: Interesting Ronnie Article (Tour info included
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 7:05pm
While there may be some truth hidden in this article, I found the style in which is was written pathetic. The author of this piece casts blame on a 20 year old girl for breaking up a marriage. Isn´t that weird? It's Ronnie following his dick after all, right?

But lets keep our fingers crossed for Mick pulling out his bandmate out of the gutter once more for old times sake. For Ronnies sake rather than for the sake of the band.

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 7:09pm
Where did that come from, did you write it?

In any cas, wow...my guess is that if Jo doesn't take him back, the Stones will be getting together for his funeral pretty soon. Can't be easy for her after what he put her through, but she probably wouldn't forgive herself if he kicked the bucket sooner rather than later. Looks like he's interested too...

It's been said before, but what a shame/waste, I recently came across a mode made DVD of a concert in Spain (San Sebastian ?) from the 2007 tour and he played the CYHMK solo amazingly well, much better than in 2002, I didn't even know they had played it during the 2007 tour of Europe.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 7:12pm
Probably some serious exaggeration in that article, but maybe some truth in too.

Ronnie could well turn out to be remembered as the stupidest man in the history of rock n roll.

Gets handed the dream job of joining the biggest, greatest and richest band in the world - and still manages to blow it.

Gets the choice in the late 70s of becoming a fully paid up member or taking an annual salary for a long term basis - and picks the wrong option, almost leaving himself bankrupt.

Makes a multi million pound fortune several times over - and squanders it every couple of years due to his multiple addictions and a lack of financial acumen which would be akin to that of a ten year old.

Gets told on several occasions that he has to give up smoking and drinking or he'll die - and still persists in drinking like a fish and smoking like a chimney.

Meets probably the only woman who would willingly put up with constant drunkenness and spells of rehab for 25 years - and ditches her for a 20 year old mentally unstable bunny boiler who works as a 'cocktail waitress' in a club which later gets raided as a vice den.

How much babysitting can one man need?

Pitiful.  Sad

It's unfortunately getting harder to envisage anything other than a horrible ending to all of this.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2009 at 7:15pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Teiz
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 7:12pm
That summer tour of 07 had a bunch of pretty interesting sets. They did CYHMK? in Goffer Park, Nijmegen too. Great times..

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 7:12pm
gotdablouse wrote on Dec 18th, 2009 at 7:09pm:
Where did that come from, did you write it?

Daily Mail.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Bingo
Rocks Off Regular

Exiled from IORR

Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 8:26pm
I'll bet Mick and Keef have a few goons near every swimming pool in the UK.  Ouch!  Spooky post

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #7 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 8:45pm
Ouch!
Shit!
That was clever
Oh no! not you again

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #8 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 8:49pm
Gazza wrote on Dec 18th, 2009 at 7:12pm:
Gets the choice in the late 70s of becoming a fully paid up member or taking an annual salary for a long term basis - and picks the wrong option, almost leaving himself bankrupt.

Didn't know this, what I remember reading about that period business wise is that Ronnie was advised to get a manager if he wanted to get paid by the Stones and that one of them was chased away by Keith, possibly when they were rehearsing for the 1981 tour...

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #9 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 9:03pm
I DIDN'T WRITE THIS!
Just a cut and paste job.

thought it might be of some interest.  really?

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #10 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 9:30pm
I've avoided commenting on this board about it out of respect, but Ronnie really has embarrased himself with this mess. He has screwed up and ruined everything that he cares/cared about. As the slogan says, The Stones Withstand, but Ronnie seems to be crumbling.

His 20-year-old looks good in that beach picture though.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #11 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 10:27pm
Me and my friend Gena have been talking and it seems odd that many people that are given great success decide to throw it all away instead of making it a vehicle toward achieving their personal goals.  I mean, given Ronnie situation, he could really be happy, one would presume. Go bike around the coast of England, save the African elephant, collect art and music and distribute it, discover a new plant and propagate it, start up an animal shelter, pay for us fools that pick up trash on the great seneca highway, buy a piece of land and preserve it for posterity; photograph the restrooms of Europe what EVER besides self destruction. I mean, we gotta die eventually, why not LIVE while we ware here??????? He has the AVENUE>.. many of us do not
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2009 at 10:28pm by Tumbled »  

Remember to keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your feet on the ground, your eye on the ball, your ear to the ground, your finger on the pulse, your head on your shoulders, the pedal to the metal, a song in your heart, your hand on the helm and the bull by the horns

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #12 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 10:50pm
People destroy themselves because they feel unworthy.  Look at Brian Wilson.

The Stones will not replace Ronnie.  My read is if he's not in shape to tour, there won't be one.  Hate to be negative, but it's too late to change the front line or Charlie.

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

AngieBlue
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #13 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 10:54pm
I feel sorry for Ronnie in many ways.  It's one thing to fall flat on your face.  We all have.  But to do it in public with people you will never know watching.  Well, it has to make the recovery from the fall that much more difficult.

If the allegations are true and charges brought - only the other Stones know what his professional future will be.  His personal life just seems an utter mess.  I hope for his sake that he can find a way back from the brink.  Cause otherwise it's just too sad.

IP Logged

Deathgod
Rocks Off Regular

The Artist Formerly Known
as Daethgod

Ocean Grove Australia Earth
Reply #14 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 12:14am
i get a feeling that if he is sacked - the demise will be even quicker.
Just hope our boys and get it together.

I didnt know Keith and Ron had a falling out ...
was it over how he treated Jo ?
piss off

RO old skool : Posts: 1170 | Registered: Nov 2002

IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Reply #15 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 3:03am
Actually all of this controversy might sell more tickets. Ouch!

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #16 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 3:58am
What a coincidence: I have the paper in front of me. It’s actually made the front page!

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #17 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 8:07am
Gimme Shelter wrote on Dec 19th, 2009 at 3:03am:
Actually all of this controversy might sell more tickets. Ouch!

I was thinking the same thing.

Do we have an accurate account of how many times some kind of Stones controversy has been followed-up by a successful tour?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #18 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 8:44am
Such a pathetically sad story. Imagine what any of us would give up to have the talent and opportunities in life Ronnie has had? The future is hard to see as far as the band is concerned but maybe Ronnie can rally himself for one last triumph over his deamons. They won't replace him with anyone who would show Keith's evident decline either though Jeff Beck seems so right for the job now.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #19 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 9:22am
I know I've been banging the "Fire him now" drum around here for awhile, but the more it becomes a possibility, the less it pleases me. What a basketcase.

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #20 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 9:36am
Gimme Shelter wrote on Dec 19th, 2009 at 3:03am:
Actually all of this controversy might sell more tickets.

That's doubtful.
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2009 at 9:44am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Teiz
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #21 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 10:00am
I'm always wondering what Charlie thinks of his bandmates...my guess: something in the direction of 'what a bunch of morons'.

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #22 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 10:15am
Teiz wrote on Dec 19th, 2009 at 10:00am:
I'm always wondering what Charlie thinks of his bandmates...my guess: something in the direction of 'what a bunch of morons'.

I don't know about that ... He quietly went through a very difficult time in the mid-'80s, so my guess is he's got more compassion than that.

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #23 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 10:16am
My hope for Ronnie is that he makes peace with his family before he dies and that they don't blame themselves when he does.  Dylan's great "I Threw It All Away" best describes Ronnie's current situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1xGTanXvfs
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2009 at 10:18am by Ginda »  

"I am a friend to any brave and gallant outlaw"

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #24 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 10:42am
gimmekeef wrote on Dec 19th, 2009 at 8:44am:
Such a pathetically sad story. Imagine what any of us would give up to have the talent and opportunities in life Ronnie has had? The future is hard to see as far as the band is concerned but maybe Ronnie can rally himself for one last triumph over his deamons. They won't replace him with anyone who would show Keith's evident decline either though Jeff Beck seems so right for the job now.

A bit too high-profile, Waddy Wachtel would be easier to blend in I think, he'd probably be playing from the back though so he doesn't scare off the front rows...a haircut might help too.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 106
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)