Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 106
Send Topic Print
The "All Ronnie" thread (Read 181,071 times)
Doxa
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: Interesting Ronnie Article (Tour info included
Reply #50 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 2:03pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Gazza wrote on Dec 20th, 2009 at 12:33pm:
Bearing that in mind, every decision the Stones take is based primarily with profits in mind. Even on the last tour, on the two occasions where they gave fans a free or cheap show to go to (Copacabana and the Beacon), the motive was financial in the long run because the shows were being filmed for commercial release.

Funny though, even the free show at Altamont 'some' years ago had that commercial aspect in mind... Surely there were other motives as well, but  that is what some of the people involved with the project claim these days (that was news to me before the 40th Anniversary thing).

- Doxa
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2009 at 2:17pm by Doxa »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #51 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 2:05pm
Good to see ya posting here again, Doxa.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #52 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 2:12pm
I wish I gave a fuck as far as if they tour again... I wish Ronnie the best, but whether or not they tour over him is moot. I don't know why I don't care... actually i do... I love them, but the tix are too high, and this BS whether or not Ronie tours... I just won't pay $500 to se them again... I know one thing, they won't be any better live, regardless of drugs or age ect... I knew it was over in Oakland 2006. It would take many facotrs to get me to a Stones show, and $$$ and quality are my bottom line...

IP Logged

Doxa
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #53 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 2:46pm
Gazza wrote on Dec 20th, 2009 at 2:05pm:
Good to see ya posting here again, Doxa.

Thanks, Gazza. My stories at IORR turned to be more repitive and boring than the Cohl-era Vegas Stones set lists so I decided  to take a little walk around Stonesland and see what is going on elsewhere.. Besides this place might be a more suitable place for a bad-mouth like me... Wink

- Doxa

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #54 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 5:03pm
"anti-seizure medication" ? Ouch, was that related to the coconut incident?

What they should try to do is mini-tours like McCartney is doing these days, 6 or 7 dates twice a year. Obviously that won't gross as much but if they have any interest left in keeping the flame burning that shouldn't be a problem.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #55 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 5:15pm
gotdablouse wrote on Dec 20th, 2009 at 5:03pm:

What they should try to do is mini-tours like McCartney is doing these days, 6 or 7 dates twice a year. Obviously that won't gross as much but if they have any interest left in keeping the flame burning that shouldn't be a problem.

Unfortunately that's not their style and it doesn't seem very likely they'll try it at this point.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

SemiahmooDude
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #56 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 5:17pm
Gazza wrote on Dec 20th, 2009 at 1:49pm:
SemiahmooDude wrote on Dec 20th, 2009 at 1:31pm:
Stones Inc does appear to be falling apart after many many great years.

If they are able to cobble together another tour - it's gonna be the last time.

All of this talk of Wood's health and no talk of Keith?  He may in fact be in the poorest health of the bunch!  Certainly his playing is of the most diminished quality - and it pains me to say so but that is the irrefutable fact.
And does Charlie want another world tour?  I think not.  There will be much negotiation between he and Mick regarding the size and scope of the next outing - if it takes place at all.

There appears to be initial planning for something taking place in the coming year - but what, if anything transpires from that is at present impossible to say at the moment as the Stones themselves likely have little idea, to say nothing of the people around them.

The thing is, that if they're deemed fit to tour, then their performance capabilities are only relevant if you and I choose whether to buy a ticket or not because of it.

Keith's health is something we don't know about simply because unlike Woody he's generally chosen to not be tabloid fodder for the last 18 months.  You could theoretically say the same about the other two. I'd imagine that we'd never have known in August 2004 that Charlie had throat cancer unless someone at the Sunday People had got a tip off that he was going radiotherapy sessions.

The fact is that Keith doesnt need to go into rehab every couple of years to get medical clearance to tour. Ronnie does. You could surmise from that that while Keith's intake is possibly enough to kill a small horse, it hasn't affected his body to the degree that Ronnie's has affected his. His diminishing chops are probably as much to do with arthritis and having to take anti-seizure medication which was the case for the final  year of the last tour.

I really hope that Charlie's influence in the scale and scope of the next tour is as significant as you're hoping for. I genuinely dont think they have another long tour in them.

___

Agreed - Keith barely limped home during the last outing.  Even Mick seemed dog tired at times.  The guys were well into their 60s and still trying ot pull off a high energy show for a two-year stretch. That was insanity then - and even more so now.

I say back to basics.  Evolve into a more blues-centered performance.  Do arena shows with plenty of time between to lessen the road grind.  Maybe just 12 or so shows in the US and same in Europe.  No more monster tours for these guys - they just don't have it in them, particularly Keith, Ron, and Charlie.  Mick could probably pull it off as he is some kind of non-human timeless marvel, but even he over the long haul would be tested to the breaking point.  He would be pushing 70 by the time this latest tour wound down.

More bluesy low key shows - the type that made up the best parts of the Shine a Light film/performance.

If they planned it right, this tour could be a totally transformative one for the Stones allowing them another decade of artistic possibilities.

Dump the mega tour rock spectacle crap boys.

Just bring it down to the music and the personalities.

Leave the top gross to acts like U2.

Leave some of the best blues-rock music legacy to yourselves - the fucking Rolling Stones...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #57 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 5:19pm
gotdablouse wrote on Dec 20th, 2009 at 5:03pm:

Yes. Keith mentioned in an interview a couple of years ago that he gave up cocaine after the Fiji incident because of the anti-seizure medication he's had to take since the accident. He even gave the name of it - Dilantin. (It's also known as Phenytoin)

Side effects of that drug include sedation and problems with co-ordination. Without wishing to act like I REALLY know what the fuck I'm talking about, it might go a bit towards explaining the occasional 'absences' he got during some shows post-Fiji (especially in the early parts of the Fall 2006 and Summer 2007 legs) and some erratic playing. He even fell over onstage on the European leg (Helsinki I think) and almost fell off the stage at a show I saw in Madrid. It would probably also explain why he stopped playing guitar while singing during his solo spot from September 2006 onwards.

Hopefully he's a lot more stable now. He was certainly on very good form by the time the tour ended in London.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2009 at 7:56pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #58 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 5:31pm
Thanks !

Looks like we got another vote for the "McCartney-like" mini-tours, the Stones used to copy the Beatles, here's another think they could nick Wink

Problem is all the "crew" though, dozens if not hundreds of people depend on the Stones for their livelihood and certainly can't wait for another "mega-tour" to get rolling. In 1998 when they cancelled the UK tour for "tax reasons", Mick made it sound like he was ok with the unplanned taxes, but "others" were not. Not sure if that was the other Stones, their advisors...I had a sense the crew was also concerned. And we know how that ended, the first tour without an album in 1999 and ridiculously expensive tickets...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #59 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 6:12pm
gotdablouse wrote on Dec 20th, 2009 at 5:31pm:
Thanks !

Looks like we got another vote for the "McCartney-like" mini-tours, the Stones used to copy the Beatles, here's another think they could nick Wink

Problem is all the "crew" though, dozens if not hundreds of people depend on the Stones for their livelihood and certainly can't wait for another "mega-tour" to get rolling. In 1998 when they cancelled the UK tour for "tax reasons", Mick made it sound like he was ok with the unplanned taxes, but "others" were not. Not sure if that was the other Stones, their advisors...I had a sense the crew was also concerned. And we know how that ended, the first tour without an album in 1999 and ridiculously expensive tickets...

I'm not so sure that so many people 'depend' on the Stones. Do these people hang around and not work for years on end when the Stones dont work? No. They get hired by other people. The Stones are like a big multi national which exists for a couple of years at a time, employs hundreds of people - and then shuts down almost completely for the next 3 years.

When they postponed the '98 tour, the official excuse was that it was to prevent the crew from paying hideous amounts of retrospective tax. Q magazine soon exposed that for the nonsense that it was.  Most of their crew were US taxpayers who werent liable for income tax in the UK. The tour was postponed because Woody and Charlie voted for it to be postponed. Mick wanted the tour to go ahead but was outvoted (Keith abstained as being a US resident, he wasnt affected by the change in UK tax legislation)

... ... ...
IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #60 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 6:19pm
Thanks again, well that takes care of the core reason that led to the current (ridiculous if you ask me) situation, Ronnie and Charlie...one of them has to "pay" for leading the band down that pathetic road musically speaking, looks like he's come forth too  War horses couldn't drag me away (more than a warhorse this smiley looks to me like flogging a dead horse !)

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #61 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 7:17pm

Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones Dump Guitarist Ron Wood
Written by Abel Rodriguez
Story written: 19 December 2009

The statue of Admiral Horatio Nelson which
sits in Ron Wood's Ruxley Tower's backyard.

LONDON - First Rolling Stones guitarist Ron Wood dumps his Russian-born 20-year-old girlfriend Ekaterina Ivanova and now it appears by all accounts that the 62-year-old is being dumped by his band, The Rolling Stones.

When Wood was asked why he was being fired by the Stones he smiled, took a puff of his cigarette, and simply shrugged his shoulders.

It has been no secret that the band members as well as most of Ron's relatives and friends have never taken to his 20-year-old Russian Barbie Doll.

Ron always insisted that the 42 year age difference was no big deal. Fellow band mate Keith Richards reminded him that she was born in 1989 for goodness sakes.

Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts, 68, recently said that Kit Kat as they all call her had never even heard of The Who, The Animals, The Kinks, or even Herman's Hermits.

She thought that David Frost was a type of beer. And she once told Ronnie that she would like to go and see Monty Python's Flying Circus whenever they come to town because she loves lions, and tigers, and seeing a dozen clowns squeeze into a tiny little car.

Ron's favorite uncle, Biffy Ludgate said that Ronnie had been feeling depressed about having had to dump Kit Kat. He said that Ronnie had confided in him that he really missed her sense of humor, her fantastically sexy body, and the funny little names she would always use when referring to her bearded taco and his wingy wangy.

Biffy remarked, "I tingk it was all just a might much for da lad. I know he wuz very depressed and 'ad refused to eat 'is favorite meal fish and chips.

Ronnie also got friggin tired of Kit Kat pointing 'er blimey 22 pistol at 'im ev'ry time he would tell 'er to shut up bitch, pipe down slut, or shut your bloomin' crumpet hole ya yeast mill tart."

Wood says that even if the Rolling Stones do dump him he is still going to show up at all of the concert dates in 2010 and get up on stage and play the songs.

SIDENOTE: When Mick Jagger, 66, was told of Ron's remark about the concert tour he replied, "Look chum, we ain't avin Ron on our tour. Ron sezz things dat da bloke duzzent really mean. The chap sez diz and he sez dat and it's really all just gobsmack innit?"

www.thespoof.com/news

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #62 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 9:00am
You can always count on Charlie to go shooting his mouth off to the press.       Wink

"I am a friend to any brave and gallant outlaw"

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #63 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 1:43pm

This article's no spoof, just more of the same with a different picture...

Rolling Stones considering replacement for guitarist Ronnie Wood
By Sophie Eager Dec 21, 2009, 15:15 GMT

Rolling Stone Ronnie Wood leaves his house in north London, UK, and heads to another house in east London, which is above an art gallery.
He gets out of his car, walks to a coffee shop next door to the house, discovers it's shut and goes back to the house. - Matt Keeble / Splash News

British band The Rolling Stones are reportedly considering a replacement for guitarist Ronnie Wood.

Mick Jagger, 66, is looking for somebody else to play guitar in the band instead of Wood, 61.

Wood recently split with his girlfriend Ekaterina Ivanova, 21, after 18 months and their split came just days after he was arrested on suspicion of assaulting her.

A pal of the band said: 'It's one thing to say 'let's have the Stones frightening the grannies, let's all be debauched and wild,' but it's just not acceptable to have one seen choking his girlfriend.

'There are two things you can't be seen to do, which is hit women and get involved with under-age girls. Thanks to Ronnie and Billy Wyman [who seduced 13-year-old Mandy Smith whom he later married], Mick has had a full house now.'

The pal added: 'Mick tried to intervene right at the start of the relationship with Katya.

'There was a plan to set up Katya [Ekaterina's nickname] in a flat in Tottenham Court Road, get Ronnie to rehab and then lead him back to Jo.

'Mick has always relied on Jo to be his conduit through to Ronnie - he has relied on her to get Ronnie to work, to keep him well enough to pass a medical for the tour.

'Without Jo, Ronnie would never have managed to go on tour; you can't do it unless you have insurance, and you won't get insurance without the medical. It's always been up to Jo to get him through all that.

'All communication has gone through Jo for years, so now Mick has really washed his hands of Ronnie. The feeling is that he can't come back after this one. Ronnie's always been a bit lost and, without Jo, nobody can reach him.'

www.monstersandcritics.com

« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2009 at 2:38pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Ginda
Rocks Off Regular

The ghost of Belle Starr

WA State
Reply #64 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 2:10pm
Mick J should have Mick T on speed dial.

"I am a friend to any brave and gallant outlaw"

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #65 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 2:22pm
That article is a rewrite of the one that was posted at the beginning of this thread, I hope they gave due credit.

IP Logged

open-g
Rocks Off Regular

Silence is golden, Duct
tape is silver

Berlin
Reply #66 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 3:58pm
gotdablouse wrote on Dec 21st, 2009 at 2:22pm:
That article is a rewrite of the one that was posted at the beginning of this thread, I hope they gave due credit.

yes, it sure is a rewrite.
only these guys make it "Stones are reportedly considering a replacement"

reportedly only because The Daily Mail had come up with this bs. first
they, at least, put a frigging questionmark behind their speculation.

I wonder when Mick comes out of the woodworks and thanks the "press" for kindly letting him know that Ron's gonna get sacked.
just like he got to know that Charlie had quit and will never play with the Stones again.   Blank Frigging StareShit! Ouch!  Oh no! not you again

I know there's much to worry about Ron passing his medical tests - but this shit is way over the top, imho.

now lets all sing this:

Artist: TBA
Song: Ronnie May

Ronnie May
Intro: Mandolin

Wake up Ronnie I think I've got something to say to you
It's late December and you really should be back at Stones-school
I know you wanna keep yourself amused But I feel we're being used
Oh Ronnie you can try once more
You ran away from home just to save you from drinking a--lone
You stole our hearts, and that's what really hurts

The morning sun when it's in your face really shows your age
But that don't worry me none, in my eyes you're everything
We laughed at all your jokes, my bucks you didn't need to coax
Oh Ronnie you could have tried a bit more

You lured her away from home just to save you from drinking a--lone
You stole our soul that's a pain we can do without

All you need is a friend who lends a guiding hand
But you turned into a motherfucking lover and wore yourself out
All you did was wreck your bed and in the morning had an aching head
Oh Ronnie you could have tried a bit more

You lured her away from home 'cause you didn't want to drink alone
You stole our hearts we couldn't leave you if we tried

Solo 1:
Em7 A D G
Em D G D

I suppose you should collect your medicals and get back to school
Or steal Keith Richards's cue make a living out of playing pool
Or find yourself a rock and roll band that needs a helping hand
Oh Ronnie, I wish I'd seen you with the faces

You made a first class fool out of yourself, but your as blind as a fool can be
You stole our hearts but we love you any--way

Solo 2:
Em7 A D G

Outro Chords:
Em G D

END  really?

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

IP Logged

AngieBlue
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #67 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 4:01pm
No way MT is going to replace Ronnie for a tour.  If Ronnie can't get insured, how is a guy that just canceled his OWN tour last year for his own poor health going to get insured.  No way, no how.  Stones tours are too big and too much money on the line for that kind of risk.

I can say this from experience.  I'm on anti seizure meds, not Dilantin in my case Topamax, and they do have some odd side effects especially for the first year.  I will say things backwards, forget what I'm saying in mid sentence and my speech will be slurred just like I had a tequilla bender all while perfectly sober.  It took me a full year to get any where near normal again.  Keith's injury sounds as if it were more serious.  He may very well be playing better now than he did at the end of the last tour.  The brain takes time to rewire itself after an event like that.

My son's battle buddy in Iraq had a horrible head injury.  It's been nearly two years and he is just now able to walk without a cane.  This might interest y'all to know though - even the military uses music as therapy for head injuries.  Guys and gals that play an instrument are encouraged to get right back to it.  And if they don't play an instrument they teach them to play Guitar Hero.  Music forces the use of both sides of the brain and gets that rewiring process going.

Knowing that - I'm sure Keith is up to task.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #68 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 10:04am
Rolling Stone Ronnie Wood cautioned for assault

Rolling Stone Ronnie Wood, 62, has been cautioned by police for common assault following an incident in Surrey earlier this month.

The incident took place in Claygate High Street in Esher on 2 December.

It is understood a passer-by dialled 999 as a violent argument took place between Wood and his 21-year-old on-off girlfriend Ekaterina Ivanova.

In November, the rock star was divorced by his wife Jo on the grounds of his admitted adultery.

Alcohol addiction

The couple, who share two children, split in 2008 after 24 years of marriage.

Although divorce documents, which were made public, did not mention Ivanova by name, their relationship was widely reported.

The Russian former waitress has since spoken of their break-up.

In July 2008, the guitarist was admitted to a rehabilitation centre for help with his long-established alcohol addiction.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8426893.stm
Updated 15.24 GMT

... ... ...
IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #69 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 10:07am
A good time for ... "Fire him!"

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #70 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 11:36am
I see Ronnie still hasn't gotten rid of that God awful ugly coat. stu watching how stupid we are LOL

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #71 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 11:36am
No Wood=No Stones
"This is a guitar band"-Keith Richards quote
There's no one who could put up with Keith other than Ronnie
for a long period of time, such as a tour would take.

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #72 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 11:39am

"Police Caution"

So Ronnie admitted guilt?
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2009 at 11:41am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Jesus Christ
Rocks Off Regular

Let he who is without
sin cast the first stone.

Heaven
Reply #73 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 12:24pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Dec 22nd, 2009 at 11:36am:
I see Ronnie still hasn't gotten rid of that God awful ugly coat. stu watching how stupid we are LOL

I used to have a coat like that in the 70s. I believe they were called "CPO jackets".

I hated it then. I hate it now.

That coat is reason enough to fire him.

...&&&&"Hey, JC go fuck yourself you little bitch!" - Riffhard&&&&"...Jesus was...a tranny. " - Nankerphelge&&&&&&&&

IP Logged

open-g
Rocks Off Regular

Silence is golden, Duct
tape is silver

Berlin
Reply #74 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 1:00pm
Jesus Christ wrote on Dec 22nd, 2009 at 12:24pm:
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Dec 22nd, 2009 at 11:36am:

I used to have a coat like that in the 70s. I believe they were called "CPO jackets".

I hated it then. I hate it now.

That coat is reason enough to fire him.

Set the friggin' coat on fire - that'll do ...and leave Ron alone!   Oh no! not you again

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 106
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)