Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 106
Send Topic Print
The "All Ronnie" thread (Read 181,082 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Interesting Ronnie Article (Tour info included
Reply #25 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 2:29pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Deathgod wrote on Dec 19th, 2009 at 12:14am:
i get a feeling that if he is sacked - the demise will be even quicker.
Just hope our boys and get it together.

I didnt know Keith and Ron had a falling out ...
was it over how he treated Jo ?
piss off

Hard to say, as the band havent done anything in public together for so long (cant imagine it helped, however - Jo has (justifiably) been highly regarded in the Stones camp as she's been so good for Ronnie), but Keith & Ronnie's relationship hasnt really been the same since the start of the Licks tour. Apparently Ronnie's then-sobriety and reluctance to party like he used to was a source of frustration for his 'big brother'...  Roll Eyes

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

open-g
Rocks Off Regular

Silence is golden, Duct
tape is silver

Berlin
Reply #26 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 2:52pm
Quote:
...but Keith & Ronnie's relationship hasnt really been the same since the start of the Licks tour. Apparently Ronnie's then-sobriety and reluctance to party like he used to was a source of frustration for his 'big brother'...  Roll Eyes

weren't they both heavy on the sauce when the cocoanut incident happend?  Let's go get drunk

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

IP Logged

SemiahmooDude
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #27 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 2:53pm
Ronnie and Keith cooled about six ro so years ago when Wood was being very open about being on the wagon and Keith lost his drink n drug buddy. (I believe Keith was still enjoying coke regularly back then)

Then with Ronnie's poor treatment of Joe - who it has been said Keith liked, that pushed Keith away even further.  

Now we have Mick attempting to police between the two, and appearing to have grown much closer to Charlie (and I hear Bill) in recent years.

If the money wasn't so good, and the chance for teh ego-feeding tens of thousands of screaming fans during the performance, Mick would have dumped this drama years ago.

He might do that yet...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #28 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 2:55pm
" ...... hope for Ronnie is that he makes peace with his family before he dies and that they don't blame themselves when he does.   "

< ------ Your negativity upsets me and causes great pain .  Did you mean for young Joey to scream ?

Man , you SAID it Lil' Fella ( Lil' Fijikins  ...... oh , Little Fiji )

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #29 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 3:07pm
open-g wrote on Dec 19th, 2009 at 2:52pm:
Quote:
...but Keith & Ronnie's relationship hasnt really been the same since the start of the Licks tour. Apparently Ronnie's then-sobriety and reluctance to party like he used to was a source of frustration for his 'big brother'...  Roll Eyes

weren't they both heavy on the sauce when the cocoanut incident happend?  Let's go get drunk

Yep. Maybe with hindsight things are a lot safer when they dont talk or hang out together!

... ... ...
IP Logged

Bingo
Rocks Off Regular

Exiled from IORR

Reply #30 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 3:47pm
Ronnie could be one of those personalities that doesn't care he's throwing it all away. He had it, he basked in it, now fuck it, it's all gone, it was a good run. He may delight in the fact that people can't believe he's throwing it away.

Sometimes things, especially art, is more important to the observer then it is the artist.

Doesn't have a point of view
knows not where he's going to
Isn't he a bit like you and me?

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #31 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 4:25pm
Zack wrote on Dec 18th, 2009 at 10:50pm:
People destroy themselves because they feel unworthy.  Look at Brian Wilson.

The Stones will not replace Ronnie.  My read is if he's not in shape to tour, there won't be one.  Hate to be negative, but it's too late to change the front line or Charlie.

My friend Zack, I agree 100%. I can't see any such big change in the Stones at this point of time.
However, I have this feeling 2010 is going to see Woody getting a quick rehab again and trying to pull himself together... Better be serious this time Ronnie  Ouch!

FotiniD  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #32 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 4:49pm
'Quick' rehabs are no fucking good. They just delay the inevitable trainwreck that invariably follows a few months later. And a rehab mightn't be enough to convince any investor in a tour that hes worth the risk from an insurance perspective.

How many rehabs has he had now? Seven? Eight?

And they usually last a couple of weeks - he treats them as if its a holiday in Butlins.

That suggests a man who either isn't serious about sorting his problems out or is in total denial.

Maybe the realisation that on this occasion he's TOTALLY fucked his life up - no loyal long-suffering wife to run back to, a family who are mostly estranged from him and no band if he doesnt change the habits of a lifetime - will be what he does next different this time.

This cat's running out of lives, unfortunately. How he reacts to this will either kill him or cure him IMO.

The ball's in his court.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #33 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 5:03pm
Dump Wood, Get Jeff Beck, and if Keith only plays rhythm and Jeff handles all the leads, the Stones could enter a new Golden Age.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #34 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 8:47am
Holden wrote on Dec 19th, 2009 at 5:03pm:
Dump Wood, Get Jeff Beck, and if Keith only plays rhythm and Jeff handles all the leads, the Stones could enter a new Golden Age.

I agree ... Even if Ronnie gets his act together for his own sake -- I hope he does -- I still think they need to make a change musically. Fact is, he's simply not a competent guitar player anymore.

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

Bingo
Rocks Off Regular

Exiled from IORR

Reply #35 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 9:38am
Neither is Keith. He poses more then Paris Hilton walking into a club.

IP Logged

Teiz
Rocks Off Regular

Almere, Amsterdams ugly twin
Reply #36 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 9:40am
Roster changes at this stage? I don't know. Up until very recently I said I would not check it out if they tour with anyone other than Ronnie on guitar and I know better: of course I'll see the show. But I don't think a different dude on lead would bring any ground breaking differences. It's too late in the game, though it would be cool if they'd bring back Fat Mick for a gig or two (and I know it is not very likely).

When I saw them in 07 I was pretty certain that it was my last ever Stones gig and I'm cool with that. Of course, one always hopes for more...but the quality isn't going up. Not even with Beck added to the fold.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #37 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 10:05am
" Neither is Keith. He poses more then Paris Hilton walking into a club. "

< -------  Christ , that is postin' on loan from GOD right there !!!!!!!!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #38 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 10:15am
I'm in the "it's too late in the game for a lineup change" camp.
Won't happen.

What I do see is a reconciliation between Ronnie and Jo; another stint in Rehab and out on the road with Jo (with Mick's blessing) as his "minder".

I'm not ready to say goodbye; I don't think I'll ever be.

LJ.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #39 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 10:38am
LadyJane wrote on Dec 20th, 2009 at 10:15am:
I'm in the "it's too late in the game for a lineup change" camp.
Won't happen.

What I do see is a reconciliation between Ronnie and Jo; another stint in Rehab and out on the road with Jo (with Mick's blessing) as his "minder".

I'm not ready to say goodbye; I don't think I'll ever be.

LJ.

The line up change 'wont happen' in the same sense that it didnt happen with Bill. One member left, and wasnt replaced.

The decision in this case, may end up being taken out of the band's hands. They have plans to tour in the near future (certainly within the next 9 months). One band member's ability to get medical insurance to do so is a matter of concern. Its a huge deal when youre embarking on a multi-million dollar undertaking where sponsors and promoters will want some security on their huge guarantees.

If Ronnie can't get past this hurdle, then the Stones are left with only two options. Either they tour without him, or they don't tour at all. If he's deemed medically uninsureable, then they CANT tour with him even if they want to - well, they could I suppose, but it would be incredibly foolish to tour without medical cover and they'd stand to lose millions if something happened.

Its quite bizarre and pretty ridiculous when you think about it that the touring future of the band may depend on whether or not Jo Wood agrees to go back on her earlier and quite logical decision to move on with her life and  deciding instead to forgive and forget.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2009 at 11:29am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #40 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 10:51am

"The line up change 'wont happen' in the same sense that it didnt happen with Bill. One member left, and wasnt replaced."

A LOT has changed since Bill's departure.
I just don't see them bringing in a new guitar player at this point.
I hate to think or even type this but my bet is No Ronnie, No Tour.

But really wtf do I know???

Hope for the best, I guess.
And "the best" is for Ronnie to get his friggin act together before we are posting in his Obit thread.  Oh no! not you again

LJ.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #41 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 11:48am
gotdablouse wrote on Dec 19th, 2009 at 10:42am:
gimmekeef wrote on Dec 19th, 2009 at 8:44am:
Such a pathetically sad story. Imagine what any of us would give up to have the talent and opportunities in life Ronnie has had? The future is hard to see as far as the band is concerned but maybe Ronnie can rally himself for one last triumph over his deamons. They won't replace him with anyone who would show Keith's evident decline either though Jeff Beck seems so right for the job now.

A bit too high-profile, Waddy Wachtel would be easier to blend in I think, he'd probably be playing from the back though so he doesn't scare off the front rows...a haircut might help too.

Hell if Keith doesnt scare the front rows nobody would...lmaooo

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #42 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 12:33pm
LadyJane wrote on Dec 20th, 2009 at 10:51am:

"The line up change 'wont happen' in the same sense that it didnt happen with Bill. One member left, and wasnt replaced."

A LOT has changed since Bill's departure.
I just don't see them bringing in a new guitar player at this point.
I hate to think or even type this but my bet is No Ronnie, No Tour.

But really wtf do I know???

Hope for the best, I guess.
And "the best" is for Ronnie to get his friggin act together before we are posting in his Obit thread.  Oh no! not you again

LJ.  

The main difference since 1992 is that theyve become more focussed than ever on being a corporation that on being a band.

Bearing that in mind, every decision the Stones take is based primarily with profits in mind. Even on the last tour, on the two occasions where they gave fans a free or cheap show to go to (Copacabana and the Beacon), the motive was financial in the long run because the shows were being filmed for commercial release.

In the last few years, even Keith has gone back on previous statements about being down to the last four core members now by stating that as far as he's concerned, only he and Mick are irreplaceable.

The bottom line is that, as far as they're concerned, any 'weak link' in the chain that gets in their way of maximising profit is expendable. Even it doesn't look right to everyone else and even if it detracts from their musical legacy.

Agree with your last point. We can only hope the poor guy can see sense and sort his health and his life out. I don't think Mick and Keith's patience is inexhaustible however.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #43 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 1:04pm
Gazza wrote on Dec 20th, 2009 at 12:33pm:
In the last few years, even Keith has gone back on previous statements about being down to the last four core members now by stating that as far as he's concerned, only he and Mick are irreplaceable.

I think I would have remembered hearing Keith talking like this. When did he say this?

As for Ronnie, I think I could go see a Stones show without him, but we're also talking about Charlie here, and I can't believe Keith would consider Charlie expendable.  Shit!

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

SemiahmooDude
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #44 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 1:31pm
Stones Inc does appear to be falling apart after many many great years.

If they are able to cobble together another tour - it's gonna be the last time.

All of this talk of Wood's health and no talk of Keith?  He may in fact be in the poorest health of the bunch!  Certainly his playing is of the most diminished quality - and it pains me to say so but that is the irrefutable fact.

And does Charlie want another world tour?  I think not.  There will be much negotiation between he and Mick regarding the size and scope of the next outing - if it takes place at all.

There appears to be initial planning for something taking place in the coming year - but what, if anything transpires from that is at present impossible to say at the moment as the Stones themselves likely have little idea, to say nothing of the people around them.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #45 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 1:39pm
Edith Grove wrote on Dec 20th, 2009 at 1:04pm:
Gazza wrote on Dec 20th, 2009 at 12:33pm:

I think I would have remembered hearing Keith talking like this. When did he say this?

As for Ronnie, I think I could go see a Stones show without him, but we're also talking about Charlie here, and I can't believe Keith would consider Charlie expendable.  Shit!

Interview in either Mojo or Uncut before the last tour. The context was when he was asked what would have happened had Charlie's cancer been fatal.

Was pretty stunned to read it too, but he definitely said it.

... ... ...
IP Logged

captainglassback
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #46 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 1:43pm
Welcoming back Mick Taylor is not such a big change.  I don't believe that there is any rush anyway.  No way is MJ thick enough to plan a Tour in 2010....a year that will see the real economic punishment of the banking failures hit all of our pockets with collapsing global  markets.  I truly hope that I am wrong on the economic front but am desperate to buy a ticket to see the real Mick n Keef!!

IP Logged

dadrob
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #47 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 1:43pm
my guess is that they wil never do anything again...just leave it..keith barely played for the last few tours, ronnie is outta hand etc....Why diminish the legacy with an ugly tour?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #48 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 1:49pm
SemiahmooDude wrote on Dec 20th, 2009 at 1:31pm:
Stones Inc does appear to be falling apart after many many great years.

If they are able to cobble together another tour - it's gonna be the last time.

All of this talk of Wood's health and no talk of Keith?  He may in fact be in the poorest health of the bunch!  Certainly his playing is of the most diminished quality - and it pains me to say so but that is the irrefutable fact.
And does Charlie want another world tour?  I think not.  There will be much negotiation between he and Mick regarding the size and scope of the next outing - if it takes place at all.

There appears to be initial planning for something taking place in the coming year - but what, if anything transpires from that is at present impossible to say at the moment as the Stones themselves likely have little idea, to say nothing of the people around them.

The thing is, that if they're deemed fit to tour, then their performance capabilities are only relevant if you and I choose whether to buy a ticket or not because of it.

Keith's health is something we don't know about simply because unlike Woody he's generally chosen to not be tabloid fodder for the last 18 months.  You could theoretically say the same about the other two. I'd imagine that we'd never have known in August 2004 that Charlie had throat cancer unless someone at the Sunday People had got a tip off that he was going radiotherapy sessions.

The fact is that Keith doesnt need to go into rehab every couple of years to get medical clearance to tour. Ronnie does. You could surmise from that that while Keith's intake is possibly enough to kill a small horse, it hasn't affected his body to the degree that Ronnie's has affected his. His diminishing chops are probably as much to do with arthritis and having to take anti-seizure medication which was the case for the final  year of the last tour.

I really hope that Charlie's influence in the scale and scope of the next tour is as significant as you're hoping for. I genuinely dont think they have another long tour in them.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2009 at 1:51pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #49 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 1:54pm
dadrob wrote on Dec 20th, 2009 at 1:43pm:
my guess is that they wil never do anything again...just leave it..keith barely played for the last few tours, ronnie is outta hand etc....Why diminish the legacy with an ugly tour?

They will do what they have to do for another $day.

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 106
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)