Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 ... 106
Send Topic Print
The "All Ronnie" thread (Read 181,016 times)
WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: The "All Ronnie" thread
Reply #2325 - Nov 16th, 2018 at 12:15pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Is it Keith who can be heard saying 'Ronnie, Ronnie' 20-22 secs (ish) into 'Gotta Get A Hair Grip'?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2326 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 10:17am
Ronnie with Reef last night (thanks, Lien) at Nell's Jazz & Blues Club in London

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2327 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 1:23pm
Ronnie talks to the Chicago Sun-Times (thanks, Cristiano)

Ronnie Wood totally stoked for upcoming Rolling Stones No Filter tour

The Rolling Stones and Chicago fit like a hand in glove.

Throughout the band’s career, starting in the early 1960s when a visit Chicago to experience the blues firsthand would become the foundation of their rock and roll, the Stones have brought their world tours to the Windy City. Such is the case for next year’s 14-city No Filter stadium trek, which includes shows on June 21 and 25 at Soldier Field.

Wood, 74, who is now the proud papa to 2 1/2-year-old twins Gracie and Alice with wife Sally Humphreys, talked about the upcoming tour and more,  during a recent chat. Here are excerpts from that conversation.

Q. What’s the secret to the Rolling Stones? A lot of bands your age are calling it quits for the umpteenth time with “farewell” tours.

A. [Laughs] We just can’t resist playing Soldier Field! The secret is we keep raising the bar. Every time we go into rehearsal a new high is being created and a new bar is being raised. By the time we get on stage in front of that audience again all your aches and pains go out the window. You’ve got to be in top form. You’ve go to step out there and get it together. I love it. It keeps you young.

Q. The band has settled in to these 14- or 15-show tours. Do you like it better this way, as opposed to those historically massive, and seemingly endless tours where you’ were traveling almost every day to get to the next show?

A. 14 shows is a lot of work! [Laughs] We’e been in this kind of mode since 2014, doing 14 shows and such. We’ve got Christmas coming up and pretty soon it will be April [when the new tour kicks off]. Yeah, we’re not getting any younger! It’s quite demanding to do this every three or four days considering all the traveling and hotels and wardrobe [fittings] and interviews and moving around the family, and meet-and-greets. But its great. I love it.

Q. How are you feeling these days after your recent cancer scare?

A. I really feel good and really feel blessed to have had all the bad bits removed from my left lung. And it didn’t spread anywhere else in my body. And I feel really blessed to have these twins who are so beautiful. They’re brilliant and so funny. They’re 2 1/2 going on 10.

Q. How does it feel to have tiny tots in the house again?

A. [Laughing] They’re not tiny anymore. They’re everywhere. They are so mischievous and so funny. So it’s good. All my other kids — I’m great with them, too. So it’s all good.

Q. Have the twins heard Rolling Stones music yet?

A. Oh yeah!  They come to sound check and they have their little earphones on and they just boogie. They just love it.

Q. What kinds of things are you guys hoping to change up on this particular tour?

A. I think at rehearsals, that’s where we get the scope of what’s to come. We’ll get out the big, big book that [Stones music director and keyboardist] Chuck Leavell has where it shows what songs and what territories we’ve played and what year it was and what the musical climate was at the time, and do we want to introduce a new phase of songs into that particular area. The New York area or Chicago area or L.A., wherever we are, there’s a different flavor we’re going to convey. We’re gonna raise the bar, which I think we’ve been doing over the last few years. I’m sure the playing got better and I’m just enjoying it even more.

Q. The Stones won their latest Grammy Award for the full-on blues album “Blue & Lonesome,” which is no surprise really considering the band’s history with incorporating blues into rock and roll. What did it feel like to get a Grammy for this particular project?

A. It was amazing. It was a genuine surprise, and wow, we didn’t see that coming. It was just something that was so spontaneous for us in the studio. We play the blues, but to revisit it like that was a perfect coming full-circle. Especially for me, to come back around to play songs I used to play before I was in the band. … When Mick suggested some of the songs that we did on “Blue &Lonesome,” I actually hadn’t heard them before!  I love the element of surprise and risk and the whole freshness of playing an established kind of music. … I thought I had heard everything Howlin’ Wolf had done, so I was more than pleased to be surprised by [Wolf’s “Commit a Crime”], and all of it, really.

Q. Your art book, “The Rolling Stones Set Lists” featuring over 100 of the band’s set lists that you’ve documented over the years, is a treasure trove of Rolling Stones history.  Why did you decide to start painting the lists?

A. It’s our traveling diary, really. It’s the history of rehearsals and tours going back for about 15 years on canvas. But I had been doing them for years before that. …  One of our road crew members came up to me and said Ronnie why don’t you do set lists on canvas because you’re always doing them on paper or cards. He got me canvases and an easel at one rehearsal as a surprise, and I was like OK, let’s go! It was just a natural progression for me.  … I’ve been doing art since I was a kid in school.

Q.  What does painting do for you that music doesn’t?

A. Painting keeps my creative juices on kickover. I’m in my studio today North of London. I’m actually painting until we’e back in rehearsals. I did a Chuck Berry tribute last week and it allows me to keep my fingers in check. [Laughs] Because I don’t want them to shut down.

Q. If you hadn’t gone into music would you have gone into art?

A. For sure. Painting is my daily diet. I have to do it. I can take or leave playing but I gotta paint.

Q. You paint every day. Do you pick up the guitar every day?

A. Oh no. Me and Keith always say, “Oh now, we’re going on tour? I better pick up a guitar again.” [Laughs]. The great thing is we don’t leave it that long. We chat and we’re like, hey my fingers didn’t hurt to much today. As long as we don’t leave it too many months then it’s always pretty easy to get back into the playing action again.

Q. You say in your book that you learn about 80 new songs for each tour. Are you merely reintroducing yourselves to them?

A. Yeah, but we have to play them again as a unit. We have to get the arrangements right otherwise they wouldn’t go anywhere. Some of them are natural progressions. But others take some work. People always say it must be so easy for you to do these songs. But some of the songs in the set are like stepping stones: They’re solid and you get your footing on them. Things like “All Down the Line,” “Tumbling Dice.” But then a song will come along that’s a risk, like “Out of Control” or something that Mick will put in, and he’s like let’s play “Beasts of Burden” —  just a song out of left field.

Q. Can you pick a couple of songs that became your favorites over the years?

A. “Gimme Shelter” live is always a really beautiful, moving song. And so is “You Can’t Always Get What You Want.” That takes on a sort of different atmosphere all the time. People love those atmospheric songs.

Q. What is the message, musically, of the Rolling Stones in 2018?

A. Unity for the enjoyment of the people, because this world is so full of bad news. We just want to put a smile on people’s faces. Come out, bring your kids and have a great time. Just get lost in the music. [Laughs] we have at least three generations of fans out there now!

Miriam Di Nunzio
Follow me on Twitter @MiriamDiNunzio Email: [email protected]

https://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/ronnie-wood-rolling-stones-no-filter-
tour-soldier-field-chicago/?fbclid=IwAR13Wf_-5hjIlwi9SidSYNlzYt_dQPGoKulGzcjMcDx
OkPJJ3i6Iehltu6U
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2018 at 1:24pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #2328 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 8:48pm
Love the interview!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2329 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 6:11pm
Ronnie (and Ringo) join Macca for 'Get Back'  at London's 02 Arena tonight
:

... ... ...
IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #2330 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 7:44pm
Sweet!

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2331 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 8:21pm
Some pics from instagram here :

https://www.instagram.com/p/Brd1BoDgfWm/?fbclid=IwAR2ZtXaQ_ysC_bUamsjAnmTRxBkuYa...

Longer video clip from a different angle, complete with the intros

« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2018 at 8:27pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2332 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 8:05pm

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2333 - Dec 17th, 2018 at 8:07pm
Ronnie Wood: I’m blessed with natural energy just like my two-year-old twins

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/ronnie-wood-im-blessed-with-natur...

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2334 - Dec 18th, 2018 at 12:08pm
"Chasing Bono" Premiere, After Party, Soho Theatre, London . December 13, 2018
Imelda May, Sally Wood, Donal Finn, Farzana Dua Elahe, Ciaran Dowd, Ronnie Wood, Niall McNamee and Shane ORegan
© David M. Benett

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2335 - Dec 19th, 2018 at 5:40pm

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #2336 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 11:32am

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2337 - Jan 1st, 2019 at 5:52pm

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2338 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 8:15pm

Ronnie Wood Features on CNN

10 Jan 2019

Ronnie Wood's paintings are now the subject of an article by CNN. Within the piece Ronnie discusses how painting is a 'God-given talent' and how alongside his musical career, painting was always a constant for him. Ronnie Wood's newly published Genesis edition, The Rolling Stones Set Lists, is also reviewed.

"With its behind-the-scenes revelations, concert photos and endearing doodles, The Rolling Stones Set Lists has the feel of a diary." - CNN Style

Wood sums up his ongoing musical and artistic life as 'always an adventure', and his new Set Lists publication, CNN conclude, 'is a welcome addition to the artist's eclectic oeuvre.'

If you're interested in Ronnie Wood's art, copies of both The Rolling Stones Set Lists and Ronnie Wood: Artist are still available.

https://www.genesis-publications.com/book/9781905662500/ronnie-wood-artist

« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2019 at 8:25pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2339 - Jan 11th, 2019 at 8:15pm
Rolling Stones' Ronnie Wood: Painting is my 'God-given talent'

Published 9th January 2019
Written by Joobin Bekhrad, CNN

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/ronnie-wood-art/index.html

think it's born in me that I'm an artist of the visual kind first," said a reflective Ronnie Wood over the phone in his north London studio. "There's nothing I enjoy doing more today than painting in oils, and that's how I used to paint as a teenager."

Although recognized primarily for his status as a rock 'n' roll deity, the 71-year-old Rolling Stone has been turning heads with his visual art for even longer than he has with his music.

Wood's paintings have been exhibited around the world, and today grace the walls of London's Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, and have been collected by the likes of Bill and Hilary Clinton.

Though he's most known for paintings of his fellow Stones, as well as musicians like John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters, Wood is also passionate about subjects like horses and landscapes, and works with a multitude of mediums. This past December, he released "The Rolling Stones' Set Lists," a limited-edition book of drawings on canvas

"I sold my first two pieces to my music teacher at school for four pounds, and they were abstract pieces," he proudly recalled. This was no small feat for the fledgling Wood -- then still in elementary school -- whose older brothers, Art and Ted, both studied art.

It wouldn't be long before he would enjoy his first group exhibition: "There was a man on TV called Adrian Hill, and he had a program called 'Sketch Club.' I won the artist of the week kind of thing a few weeks in a row, and he said, would I come along and have an exhibition of my work and join some of the other children? I was about 12 or 13 when this was going on."

Later he would receive formal art training at the Ealing College of Art in London. On being both a musician and an artist, Wood explained that, "Being a Gemini, I've always flown the two flags. They've gone hand in hand, music and art."

That seemed to be the case for many of his contemporaries: Many of them, including Pete Townshend of The Who, Ray Davies of the Kinks and bandmate Keith Richards were art school students, too.

"There was a direct connection (between art school and rock 'n' roll) in that everyone seemed to be in a band or combo of some kind ... Pete was making statements by smashing his instrument; that was a bit expressionist in the art world, you know?"

While Wood always earnestly pursued his art on the side after making it big in music, it wasn't until the early '80s that he began exhibiting and selling. "When I'd spent all my money on the good life," he recalled, "I realized that I had to exploit my other God-given talent, and I thought, 'Actually, I can paint! Why don't I earn my bread and butter by selling some of my prints and drawings?' So that's what I started to do when I lived in Los Angeles and I was in New York -- sort of having exhibitions there, as well."

Despite his lifelong artistic endeavors and pursuits, establishing himself as an artist in his own right wasn't easy.

"When I first made an entrance, as it were, into the proper art world ... I had to get my foot in the door by making a statement of drawing people and portraits," he said. And while Wood has been creating art all his life, some critics haven't been able to see past his rock reputation and take him seriously.

"Some sticklers in the art world have said, 'I don't know who Ronnie Wood thinks he is!' There's a big critic over here ... (who) said, 'Well, as much as I don't like to admit it, Ronnie Wood can actually paint.' You know, because he wanted to really put me down."

Wood isn't put off by such remarks, though: "That's what I do: I can paint, you know, I can draw. So, I don't care what they say."

The newly released "Rolling Stones' Set Lists" art book (his second, after 2017's "Ronnie Wood: Artist") pulls together over a hundred of Wood's illustrated versions of the set lists from band rehearsals between 2005 and 2018. With its behind-the-scenes revelations, concert photos and endearing doodles, it has the feel of a diary.

"It was a personal thing of mine to, as we rehearsed, make a note of the songs and the keys they were in and how many times we'd played them, just for my own head," Wood explained. "It came from my little lined pad into a sketchbook, and then gradually over the years it became a reality onto canvas."

Weird and wonderful, "Set Lists" is welcome addition to the artist's eclectic oeuvre. But it will far from the last of Wood's art books -- if he can help it.

"(Art) is a bit like the Stones: We keep making music and I keep painting. It's an ongoing thing and it's something you never get down. You never kind of say, 'OK, I've done that, I can retire now.' It's always an adventure, you know?"

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2340 - Jan 13th, 2019 at 9:04am

Ronnie was interviewed today on BBC Radio 6 by Matt Everitt.

You can listen to it here :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00020h2?fbclid=IwAR15nbpQ7EthoTPyWIbsHdrVhq_N4...

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2341 - Jan 19th, 2019 at 6:23pm
Ronnie was attending the snooker today to watch his mate Ronnie O'Sullivan and did a brief interview

https://twitter.com/eurosport_uk/status/1086677193936248833

Most interesting part Stones-wise is that he mentioned the band will be recording again in about a week in Los Angeles (which backs up Keith's interview on BBC radio yesterday (See the 'Talk is Cheap' thread) stating they're going back into the studio 'next week'

(thanks to Chris from Shidoobee)
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2019 at 7:34pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #2342 - Jan 31st, 2019 at 8:56am

Ronnie Wood's Horse Has Shot at British Grand National Run

1/31/2019  by Associated Press 

Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood might have a shot at winning the world’s most grueling steeplechase for the first time with a not so wild horse.

British Grand National organizers say Wood’s horse, Sandymount Duke, is among 112 entries that will be whittled down to 40 runners for the race on April 6.

Sandymount Duke has won 10 of 30 races and runs in the 71-year-old Wood’s red and white silks. Wood bred the 10-year-old gelding, which is trained by Jessica Harrington in Ireland.

Race organizers hope Wood can attend the 4½-mile (6,400-meter) race near Liverpool in northwest England because the Rolling Stones don’t begin their tour of the United States until April 20.

The Grand National winner earns £500,000 $655,000).

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #2343 - Jan 31st, 2019 at 8:59am
No mere 'Beast of Burden': Ronnie Wood enters horse in Grand National

By Rob Hodgetts, CNN
Updated 1547 GMT (2347 HKT) January 30, 2019

(CNN) — "Wild Horses" couldn't keep Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood from entering his Sandymount Duke in this year's Grand National.

No mere "Beast of Burden," Wood's horse has won 10 of its 30 races and is a 66-1 shot for the famous jump racing showpiece at Aintree, near Liverpool, in Britain's north west.

The 10-year-old, bred by Wood's team and stabled with Cheltenham Gold Cup-winning trainer Jessica Harrington in Ireland, is one of a number of entries owned by celebrities for this year's race.

Former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson, a part owner of last month's King George VI Chase winner Clan Des Obeaux, has a share in Give Me A Copper.

Rock 'n' roll legend Wood, 71, has had a long involvement in racing but has yet to enter a runner in the Grand National, a dramatic four-and-a-half-mile marathon over huge jumps such as Becher's Brook, Valentine's and The Chair.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #2344 - Feb 2nd, 2019 at 9:55pm
That's cool. I love horse racing of any kind. I know how big the Grand National is back there. Thought Charlie was the big horse guy. Maybe he gave Ronnie a few pointers.  :willya :loloncemore :willya

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #2345 - Feb 6th, 2019 at 10:52am
INTERVIEW: RONNIE WOOD, THE ROCK ’N’ ROLL ARTIST

He’s been the connective tissue for the world’s biggest band for over 40 years, but Ronnie Wood has more than just six strings to his bow. A lavish new book, The Rolling Stones Set Lists, shows off his artistic flair, while sobriety and his young family have renewed his lust for life…

BY TERI SACCONE - 6TH FEBRUARY 2019

Credit: Getty Images
Ron Wood has experienced a rebirth. Not in a religious or New Age-y sense – but at the age of 71, he’s beaten cancer and attained hard-won sobriety after decades of overindulgence. Re-energised and refocused, he has a young family, a renewed sense of purpose and he’s finally recognising what truly matters to him.

Not content simply with playing guitar in the world’s greatest rock ’n’ roll band for over 40 years, the Rolling Stones guitarist has also maintained a parallel career as a respected painter. He’s speaking now because of his latest project: a sumptuous new book called The Rolling Stones Set Lists, which offers rare behind-the-scenes insights into the creative process of the Stones.

Wood was born in 1947 into a self-described “water gypsy” family, and lived on a canal boat in London with his two older brothers. They not only turned him on to music, but also painters – Caravaggio, Rembrandt, Goya, the Impressionists and others – and he started drawing. As a young teen, he picked up a guitar and instantly became captivated by the inherent possibilities and challenges. He was soon playing well enough to join local bands. At 17, Wood and friends formed R&B outfit The Birds, in London. In ’67, he moved onto The Jeff Beck Group, soon switching to bass for two landmark albums (Truth and Beck-Ola). After these, he joined the Faces along with ex-Jeff Beck Group singer Rod Stewart and returned to guitar.

Image: Ronnie Wood 2018/ ronniewoodsetlists.com
He’s famously woven together a repertoire of guitar techniques that make him the ideal sideman and six-string foil (he’s also a master of both slide and pedal-steel playing), yet Wood’s foremost guitar signature is his visceral feel. He’s also effortlessly turned his hand to songwriting, with his fingerprints on rock classics such as Gasoline Alley, Ooh La La and Stay With Me; delivered solo albums (including I’ve Got My Own Album To Do, Gimme Some Neck), and collaborated with Bob Dylan, Aretha Franklin and David Bowie.

Wood became a Stone in the mid 70s, following Mick Taylor’s departure, and instantly became Keith Richards’ musical and spiritual sibling. They ignite the world’s stages to this day, helping to maintain the band’s reputation as an untouchable live act – a fact reinforced by their recent triumphant world tour.

mage: Ronnie Wood 2018/ ronniewoodsetlists.com
Despite his jet-set lifestyle, Wood has continued painting over the years, with his portrait work collated in 2017’s Artist. The new book, the enormous, colourful limited-edition tome The Rolling Stones Set Lists, features more than 100 vividly handpainted setlists. These are interspersed with road anecdotes, to present a privileged view of the band at work.

Every picture tells a story
In the flesh, Wood is gregarious and looks far fitter than anyone who’s lived so hedonistically probably deserves to. Although we cover much ground, we begin by discussing the book, which is imbued with Wood’s innate playfulness. “The …Set List originals are big canvasses. Just one-offs. Pierre [de Beauport] my roadie, suggested I put these on canvasses. Then my publisher who did my Artist book, encouraged me to put them in a book. So here we are.”

With the Stones touring over the last 18 months, we ask, was it challenging to find the time to put the book together? “The hard part, for me, was choosing which ones were going to be used. It was a pleasure to put them together. The ones that were both easiest on the eyes and had the most to say on the show day are the ones we included,” Wood explains. “We have the boys joining in. Keith scribbled his little man here and there, plus instructions as to when to come in on a song. So it’s really a peek into our rehearsals and shows.”

Is there one gig included in The Rolling Stones Set Lists that especially resonates with him? “That’d be Cuba, because the fans enjoyed the gig so much and for many years, weren’t allowed to have Western musicians there. That is a high point. The way the audience was buzzing, we could feel their gratitude. The music was almost secondary to their emotions, which were so strong. Just the fact that we’d gone to them was almost too much for them. I guess it was a bit like playing Moscow, as we did back in the day. There’s a real give-and-take thing with the fans at times that is unforgettable. The passion is real.”

Visual art has been Wood’s own particular passion, and it’s one that extends right back to his childhood, when he first showed a talent for it. “As a young kid, when my mum would come to my school, they’d say to her: ‘You’re the mother of the artist,’ as I was known for art. Before I reached my teens, some of my drawings were featured on Sketch Club on the BBC, with one winning a prize – which only furthered my interest in art. But I’ve been painting even longer than playing guitar, so they go hand-in-hand for me. Colour fills my life. Even the decoration in my homes is a riot of colour. Ultimately, art fills my life, art is my life – and will continue to be.”

Because he has so much demand on his time professionally and personally, Wood has kept art studios in various locations to paint in solitude, including one in Barcelona. “I’ve also got one on the edge of Ashtead Forest. Right outside the studio, you walk out into the forest and see deer;plus, it’s silent, peaceful. In there, I’m painting landscapes most of the time.”

His evolution as a painter is ongoing. “I’ve done landscapes on and off, but now more intensely. I started doing abstracts as a kid, then moved into realism. But I’m returning to landscapes more as I’ve got older. Now I’ve got guitars growing out of the landscapes, so I call them ‘guitarscapes’,” he explains, showing off some of his wild creations.

Risky business

Ah yes, guitars. How does he keep the Stones’ songs fresh live after playing many of them for decades? “We change it all up. Every song gets run through its paces and it’s never the same twice. It’s always brand new and fresh because we know the songs, but not too well, where they become routine or too polished – which is great. And that’s where the element of risk is: our whole show can fall apart at any time and we love that feeling.”

What effect did switching between guitar and bass and back have on his playing? “Switching back and forth, they actually fed into each other. And that period I spent on bass with Jeff brought me a new perspective with guitar. It provided me with a more melodic playing than if I hadn’t been in that band. After I returned to the guitar, I went for the slide thing a lot more too, because of Duane Allman, who was such a huge influence on me.”

Being the only guitarist in the Faces forced him to play both lead and rhythm, which “helped prepare me for the dynamics with the Stones”. His playing, now so tightly interwoven with that of Keith Richards, makes them at times indistinguishable from each other… their synchronicity is sacred. “It’s an organic process of give and take with us two. If we make fans happy, then we’re happy.”

Are they still close friends, we ask? “Yeah, despite that we live in different countries [Richards has long resided in the USA]. We are godparents to each other’s kids and our grown-up children are close. It’s like a big family when we’re together on the road, because everyone comes out to join us.”

It’s the stuff of Stones folklore that Charlie Watts listens to Keith as the human metronome of the band. But who does Wood listen to? “I’m listening to Charlie, but I’m also conscious to play behind the beat, and I’m hearing the general feel of the song, the vocals, too. But I balance between guitar and bass, as I must hit a balance between the other four.”

Since his and Keith’s parts are so rhythmically interwoven throughout a Stones set, when it comes to playing lead guitar, does he enjoy stepping into the spotlight? “When I’m on a roll, I prefer to do my lead licks, yeah, definitely,” Wood smiles. “I do enjoy playing my Chuck Berry-style roots and the Eddie Taylor bluesy stuff. I still listen to Big Bill Broonzy, Elmore James, Hop Wilson, Grant Green, Matt Murphy, Hubert Sumlin… their styles have influenced me, resulting in my own style.”

Band of brothers

Wood owns an enviable guitar arsenal of vintage collectibles, but doesn’t take priceless gear out on the road. Naturally, he does have dozens of guitars at his disposal every night. “If we do 23 songs, as we did on the latest tour, I play 23 different guitars and every song is in a different tuning, too.”

After decades of touring, does Wood still experience jitters as he prepares to play to huge crowds in stadiums? “I do, but those are actually a nice feeling. It feels like you have to step up to the plate, it’s excitement and it makes life worth living.”

And after all the time that’s gone by, does he still socialise with the Stones? “We do get together occasionally when we’re not working, but the magic is to keep it sparse between us. I’m so lucky to have my art as my other self expression, to be able to put my creativity on a canvas when we’re not making music. No day is the same. Tomorrow, I’m doing a flamenco documentary. I’ll be painting a canvas of Paco Peña performing, taken from sketches I did at his last live show in London recently.”

Wood is also thankful that his art offers him creative freedom outside of music. “I will say I’m very fortunate to be painting, because there is so much downtime with the Stones when we’re not working. So painting, for me, is still a serious creative outlet. With guitar, I’m known as a slide player and rock guitarist, which is a defined genre. My art allows me to explore more. I break the confines of a chord sequence with my art. I’m able to do what I want, without having to think about being part of a band. No restrictions. For me, art and music are so similar that they bounce off one another, making me the person who I am.”

The Rolling Stones Set Lists by Ronnie Wood, the limited-edition book, is available from Genesis Publications. Buy it from at  ronniewoodsetlists.com.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #2346 - Feb 6th, 2019 at 11:57am
Man it must be nice to paint the word "Satisfaction" in color 200 times and get paid thousands for doing it.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2347 - Feb 16th, 2019 at 2:22pm
Click the image for the video and click pause and then play as soon as you are there, otherwise it does not play

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #2348 - Mar 11th, 2019 at 5:08pm
A day at the races

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #2349 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 10:33am
Octopus gets Stoned as Wood writes Stones story

Published March 13, 2019 by Mark Chandler
https://www.thebookseller.com

Octopus imprint Cassell Illustrated has acquired an intimate portrait of the Rolling Stones by Jo Wood, wife of guitarist Ronnie, featuring 500 never-before-seen photos, notes and diary entries.

Senior commissioning editor Joe Cottington acquired world rights in all languages from Kevin Pocklington at the North Literary Agency. Stoned: Photographs and treasures from life with the Rolling Stones is published on 5th September.

The synopsis reads: "Married to the Stones' legendary guitarist Ronnie for 30 years, Jo Wood lived the rock star life – from all-night parties, sell-out shows and recording sessions to relaxing with the band on holiday, at home and away from it all. Her incredible collection of treasures from this time is a once-in-a-lifetime look behind the scenes of the biggest band in the world, showing the real people underneath the rock star personas."

Cottington said: "I’m so excited to be publishing Jo’s incredible book. Her collection really has to be seen to be believed – it’s the hidden face of the Rolling Stones, a look inside the crossfire hurricane."

Wood explained: "These pictures are real and were never taken with a book in mind. They show the band off guard, without having to worry that it was another photo shoot. It’s about real life, on the road with a bunch of guys who happened to be in a fantastic band, all too often in the public gaze but more importantly away from it as well. The book is a celebration of my family and friends, a thank you to my past, and a look into a rock and roll moment in time."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 ... 106
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)