Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 106
Send Topic Print
The "All Ronnie" thread (Read 181,030 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Interesting Ronnie Article (Tour info included
Reply #200 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 11:35am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
A poster on Stonesvikings HAS mentioned that Clapton has already been approached as a potential stand-in, but I dont know how much validity there is in that.

Eric already seems to have a busy 2010 scheduled.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

erikjjf
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Sweden
Reply #201 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 11:49am
Gazza wrote on Jan 4th, 2010 at 11:35am:
A poster on Stonesvikings HAS mentioned that Clapton has already been approached as a potential stand-in, but I dont know how much validity there is in that.

No validity. That post was later deleted.

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #202 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 12:21pm
As exciting as it would be, I'm not sure such a high-profile collaboration would even work. I can't imagine someone of Clapton's stature woodshedding on 70 or 80 of someone else's songs, even the Stones', in preparation for a long tour. (As the 2000 Black Crowes/Page tour ground on, Page could barely be bothered to learn more than a handful of Crowes tunes.)

Someone like Waddy, however, would gladly do it -- and potentially do it extraordinarily well, it seems to me.

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #203 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 1:04pm
What about this scenario. Somehow Ronnie finally realizes he needs to clean up. Real good this time,not just a one week quickie. Say 90 days. But the Stones are ready to tour,so they get somebody like Blondie or Waddy Wachtel,or some non-mega name. To start the tour. Than maybe for the second leg Ronnie comes back healthy and sober.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #204 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 1:07pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Jan 4th, 2010 at 1:04pm:
What about this scenario. Somehow Ronnie finally realizes he needs to clean up. Real good this time,not just a one week quickie. Say 90 days. But the Stones are ready to tour,so they get somebody like Blondie or Waddy Wachtel,or some non-mega name. To start the tour. Than maybe for the second leg Ronnie comes back healthy and sober.

Yeah, but for how long? it's not hard to quit drinking, it's staying stopped that's the problem, all rehab does for him is to get him healthy for another bender.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #205 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 1:11pm

I hope, for Ronnie's sake, that that's the *worst*-case scenario. I'd rather he cleaned up right now, no further ado. Musically, though -- and this is going to sound callous -- they'd be better off without him, sober or not.

Bringing a competent player into the fold could really be a shot in the arm for the band.

fka Sandrew (a proud Rocks Off member since November 2001)&&&&"The Rolling Stones don't want any money ... so I'll keep it." - Melvin Belli, "Gimme Shelter"&&&&"We act so greedy, makes me sick sick sick."&&&&...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #206 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 1:28pm
" Call up Waddy. He's got the connection to Keith, and Mick was apparently comfortable enough working with him to let him make significant contributions to B2B. Seems an obvious choice, assuming that A-list "gets" like Clapton, Beck, Page are pipe-smokingly unrealistic. "

Ronnie is not going ANYWHERE Mel .

Mick will work it out with Woody and may have to bring in Pete Townshend for some ' back - up ' assistance in this matter .

Hell , on the last tour Ronnie played better than Keef . WORD  --- to your Great Great Grandma !!!

BEST RON WOOD YET !!!!

" Hit Me Ronnie ! "

JACKY !!!!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #207 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 1:30pm
Mel Belli wrote on Jan 4th, 2010 at 1:11pm:

I hope, for Ronnie's sake, that that's the *worst*-case scenario. I'd rather he cleaned up right now, no further ado. Musically, though -- and this is going to sound callous -- they'd be better off without him, sober or not.

Bringing a competent player into the fold could really be a shot in the arm for the band.

A tad harsh Mel but I can't disagree. How about adding Waddy as a third guitar? He could cover Ronnie or Keith and when/if they are on at same time he could just add another great layer of sound. Surely better than Blondie hiding off stage.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #208 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 1:48pm
gimmekeef wrote on Jan 4th, 2010 at 1:30pm:
Mel Belli wrote on Jan 4th, 2010 at 1:11pm:

A tad harsh Mel but I can't disagree. How about adding Waddy as a third guitar? He could cover Ronnie or Keith and when/if they are on at same time he could just add another great layer of sound. Surely better than Blondie hiding off stage.

I guess that would work okay -- but I can't imagine Mick agreeing to pay Ronnie just for posing. Then again, that's been the arrangement for the last 10 years!

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #209 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 2:10pm
Mel Belli wrote on Jan 4th, 2010 at 12:21pm:
Someone like Waddy, however, would gladly do it -- and potentially do it extraordinarily well, it seems to me.

Waddy's got a Stones pedigree, and definitely has the chops.
He plays lots of the songs with his band, which often includes guest spots by Bernard and Blondie.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1uxsZNv2Ko

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCsOLEM6ekA
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2010 at 2:14pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #210 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 2:18pm
If it comes to that, it's a decision that makes itself. As with Charlie getting to make the final call on bass, Keith is the one who'd be most affected by Ronnie's absence. And he's already well familiarized with Waddy's playing.

As I noted above, Mick trusted him enough to lay some overdubs on the two B2B tracks that he probably cared most about.

Bring it on.

Best Stones yet!

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #211 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 2:34pm
I don't want to see anyone on stage as a replacement for our Ronnie, but if needs must, then I do insist they keep things British and opt for an Englishman - preferebly a Surrey man: Beck, Clapton, Page - they're all quite good round that way  Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #212 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 2:38pm
Honky Tonk Man wrote on Jan 4th, 2010 at 2:34pm:
I don't want to see anyone on stage as a replacement for our Ronnie, but if needs must, then I do insist they keep things British and opt for an Englishman - preferebly a Surrey man: Beck, Clapton, Page - they're all quite good round that way  Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

Didn't quite work out that way when Bill left did it? taylor made smile

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #213 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 2:45pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Jan 4th, 2010 at 2:38pm:
Honky Tonk Man wrote on Jan 4th, 2010 at 2:34pm:
I don't want to see anyone on stage as a replacement for our Ronnie, but if needs must, then I do insist they keep things British and opt for an Englishman - preferebly a Surrey man: Beck, Clapton, Page - they're all quite good round that way  Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

Didn't quite work out that way when Bill left did it? taylor made smile

Daryl Jones is not a Rolling Stone: he is a sideman – just like Blondie, Lisa, Bernard, et al.

One of the reasons they decided against Harvey Mandel in ’76 was because they wanted to keep things British – and rightly so. 

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #214 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 2:48pm
Well, call Waddy a sideman and be done with it.

The publicity shots will include just Mick, Keith, and Charlie, and they can airbrush Ronnie down the memory hole.

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #215 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 2:48pm
Honky Tonk Man wrote on Jan 4th, 2010 at 2:45pm:
Daryl Jones is not a Rolling Stone: he is a sideman – just like Blondie, Lisa, Bernard, et al.

Another guitarist - British or not - wouldn't be a Rolling Stone either...
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2010 at 2:50pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #216 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 2:56pm
Mel Belli wrote on Jan 4th, 2010 at 2:48pm:
Well, call Waddy a sideman and be done with it.

The publicity shots will include just Mick, Keith, and Charlie, and they can airbrush Ronnie down the memory hole.

Down to the "core three". Honestly Ron's a nice guy but his contributions over the past 35 years have been laughable and it certainly didn't help the Stones take things further. Yes I know the buck stops at Mick and Keith but having a clown on board cetainly didn't encourage them to try too hard, they should have canned him in 1984 when he went berserk for the first time with his freebasing habit, no one would have missed him.

On the plus side he did "refresh" the band when he joined, that's according to Bill, and he taught Mick how to play the guitar, although Mick could certainly have learnt by himself by copying Keith or getting a real teacher. Time to get serious about music again.
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2010 at 2:57pm by gotdablouse »  
IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #217 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 3:08pm
Nah, this isn’t going to happen: a tour without Ronnie? Why not just hang in the towel? I know many say that Mick, Keith and Charlie are the ‘core’ element and what really counts, but Ronnie has been on board – officially – since ’76 and embodies the great rock ‘n roll spirit of the Rolling Stones more than fatty Mick T or teetotal Mr Boring – Eric Clapton – ever could.

Lets just all close our eyes and pretend that Ronnie is sober, back with the wife and in Mick and Keith’s good books: are we all doing so? Good. 

IP Logged

Mel Belli
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #218 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 3:13pm
What was it that one of my Stones coffee-table books said of Ronnie -- the "most bum notes of anyone in British rock"?

In fairness, I think Ronnie made valuable contributions as late as Voodoo Lounge, including that tour (I'd be satisfied if he could play just this well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNOgarFyvSw).

After that, it was steadily downhill.

I bought into the Licks-era hype that sobriety revived his playing. But it turns out he wasn't even truly sober.
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2010 at 3:22pm by Mel Belli »  

IP Logged

fuman
Ex Member

Reply #219 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 3:24pm
Personally, I don't care who's fat or who's bald, because I go to concerts to listen to music, not to watch the men.
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2010 at 3:26pm by fuman »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #220 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 3:31pm
Honky Tonk Man wrote on Jan 4th, 2010 at 3:08pm:
Nah, this isn’t going to happen: a tour without Ronnie?

Simple gazintas.
Divide a boatload of cash by three, rather than four.

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #221 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 3:50pm
Honky Tonk Man wrote on Jan 4th, 2010 at 3:08pm:
Nah, this isn’t going to happen: a tour without Ronnie? Why not just hang in the towel? I know many say that Mick, Keith and Charlie are the ‘core’ element and what really counts, but Ronnie has been on board – officially – since ’76 and embodies the great rock ‘n roll spirit of the Rolling Stones more than fatty Mick T or teetotal Mr Boring – Eric Clapton – ever could.

Lets just all close our eyes and pretend that Ronnie is sober, back with the wife and in Mick and Keith’s good books: are we all doing so? Good.  

Thanks Honky Tonk Man. I was starting to feel I was the only around who wouldn't want to see the Stones replacing Woody.  Huh

This sort of reminds me of conversations distant relatives have, when one in the family is about to kick the bucket and they're talking about who's getting what Grin Shocked Please people. Woody's not dead or through yet. If the Stones were to give up as easily on one of them just cause they have addiction issues, well...  Blank Frigging Stare Oh no! not you again

That said, I hope the man gets back on his feet soon. There MUST be someone or something that can put some sense into his brain. For his own good above anything else, even above the Stones.

FotiniD  
IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #222 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 3:54pm
Didn't see this on the thread, so apologies if already up. It is VERY rare to get this kind of official statement and I wonder if this is the final public warning for him. Obviously I'm guessing, but I have a feeling, the band is saying, either clean up or you're out for good. It seems like the Stones is the only thing that will give him the necessary jolt because without the band, I honestly can't see him surviving the next year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1240597/Rolling-Stones-NOT-tour-yea...

The Rolling Stones tonight announced they had no plans to tour this year.
The superstars took the extremely rare step of issuing an official statement after intense speculation in the music business they were planning another global jaunt, which had been pencilled in to be announced in April.
The statement read: ‘Following recent UK media speculation, The Rolling Stones would like to make it clear, there are no plans at the moment for the band to tour in 2010.’

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #223 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 4:01pm
No Wood=No Stones

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #224 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 4:01pm

Interesting.

Key words "at the moment"...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 106
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)