Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 ... 106
Send Topic Print
The "All Ronnie" thread (Read 185,745 times)
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Re: The "All Ronnie" thread
Reply #2050 - Apr 23rd, 2015 at 7:31pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #2051 - Apr 27th, 2015 at 1:17pm

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2052 - Apr 29th, 2015 at 6:03pm
Ronnie had a conversation with Bob Harris about his new diary

This is Ronnie backstage before the conversation with Bob

Backstage, Ambassadors Theatre, London - April 29, 2015 © David M. Benett

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2053 - Apr 29th, 2015 at 6:12pm

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #2054 - Apr 29th, 2015 at 6:47pm
Ronnie's looking sharp!

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Mars
Reply #2055 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 8:28am
From Bob Harris twitter account

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2056 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 1:29pm
Annie Nightingale. Wow it really was an Old Grey Whistle Test throwback night!

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #2057 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 2:32pm

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2058 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 9:10pm
The Punchestown Festival, Punchestown Racecourse, Naas, Ireland - April 30, 2015 © and thanks to Clodagh Kilcoyne

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2059 - Jun 3rd, 2015 at 8:40pm
Love the tees and the models

Perverted Charlie Perverted Charlie WOW... Nice tits! WOW... Nice tits! WOW... Nice tits! Perverted Mick Perverted Mick Perverted Mick

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #2060 - Jun 3rd, 2015 at 8:59pm
Charl The Darl on the right, shirley?

She ain't one of those boasters,
But she does the Stones posters

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Happy 40th Anniversary Ronnie
Reply #2061 - Jun 16th, 2015 at 7:17pm

IP Logged

lavendar
Rocks Off Regular

Buffalo,NY
Reply #2062 - Jun 21st, 2015 at 9:15pm
Ron Wood!   Yes , I'm Very Impressed. You were ON at Heinz

IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Right here in the USA
Reply #2063 - Jun 21st, 2015 at 9:28pm
Wasn't he? LOUD and sloppy and slashing and nasty.  He sounded like a gash dirnt Rollin' Stone! Rocked the sitar hard and RULED the pedal steel like a holy roman emperor, but his slide on the MT LP was a thing of terrible beauty.

Definitely one for the books last night.

Were you at the BZ shindig? 

...&&&&
IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Right here in the USA
Reply #2064 - Jun 21st, 2015 at 9:30pm
It was very sweet of Ronnie to have  "SALLY" on his guitar strap.

...&&&&
IP Logged

lavendar
Rocks Off Regular

Buffalo,NY
Reply #2065 - Jun 22nd, 2015 at 3:55pm
FPM wrote on Jun 21st, 2015 at 9:28pm:
Wasn't he? LOUD and sloppy and slashing and nasty.  He sounded like a gash dirnt Rollin' Stone! Rocked the sitar hard and RULED the pedal steel like a holy roman emperor, but his slide on the MT LP was a thing of terrible beauty.Definitely one for the books last night.
needed to be said again! 
I thought Charlie was exceptional too. Oh they were all ON!

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #2066 - Jun 24th, 2015 at 8:08am
FPM wrote on Jun 21st, 2015 at 9:30pm:
It was very sweet of Ronnie to have  "SALLY" on his guitar strap.

Sally is worthy of Ronnie's affection, she was so cute when I saw her in Nashville, all bubbly and happy, always with a big smile. It means a lot to have an upbeat, welcoming personality and to live life with natural enthusiasm. A happy wife is a very good thing for Ronnie!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2067 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 4:13pm
RONNIE WOOD: LIKE A ROLLING STONE

July 27 2015 by Jeff Slate

I first met Ronnie Wood at a gallery preview of his paintings in the late ’80s.

He was still definitely the “new guy” in the Rolling Stones, even if he had cemented his place as indispensable during the Dirty Work sessions as the man who could bring détente to the then-warring Glimmer Twins, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

Wood was funny and warm, and made no secret that, while he enjoyed painting, he needed the money to offset the financial hit he’d taken as one of the dormant Stones.

“I do love painting,” he told me then, as I admired a painting of Keith Richards hanging in the New York City basement gallery space. “But I need it, too. Mentally and financially!”

He then laughed that good-natured laugh he’s known for, slapped me on the back and moved on to one of the other guests.

When I ran into Richards, not long after my encounter with Wood, and asked if the Stones would ever get on the road, the man who had just released an album full of blistering attacks on Mick Jagger looked at the ground for what seemed like an eternity and then answered the question by not answering the question.

“I love playing with Ronnie,” he said, with that long drawl of his. “He’s the glue that holds it all together.”

Soon the Stones were back on the road, first with the Steel Wheels juggernaut in 1989, and then a succession of ever-bigger tours.

I caught a few, but it wasn’t until just a few years ago that I saw Ronnie Wood again, at a party for the launch of Faces 1969-1975, the deluxe, Genesis Publications book chronicling his days in the legendary band with Rod Stewart, Ronnie Lane, Ian McLagan and Kenney Jones. He was in fine form, newly sober and full of life, and no longer the “new guy” in the Stones.

“Yeah, well they’ve given that up now finally,” he told me with a smile when we caught up again, recently, just after Wood had celebrated both his 68th birthday and 40 years in the Stones. “These days there’s a new camaraderie now with the unarguable 40 years. It’s very, ‘Oh well, I suppose he really is one of us after all.’”

Wood has another book with Genesis out – How Can It Be?: A Rock & Roll Diary – based on a diary from his early days as a traveling musician in the 1960s UK R&B band The Birds – and I caught up with him recently, chatting with Wood about everything from his early inspirations, all the way up though the Rolling Stones’ current summer tour.

“You’ve been to the Wick?” Wood asks, excitedly, at the outset, when I tell him I’d visited his former home.

His exploits, especially with Richards, in the 1970s at the house in the London suburb of Richmond, are legendary, and the place is now owned by fellow rock royalty Pete Townshend.

“That’s great. Wow. Yeah, my stamp is still there in the studio downstairs. That’s where I recorded I’ve Got My Own Album to Do. I visited Pete recently and he took me ‘round and showed me what he’d done. He’s still got the glass doors with [a sign reading] ‘Mind Your Head’ above them. We used to walk into that between the control room and the studio all the time! I did all of the paneling on the walls, the cork and the wood, and he’s kept all that. It’s bigger than I remember it, too.”

For his part, Townshend tells me that Wood often shows up on his doorstep, as if he’s still the owner, and expects that, if he ever sells it, he’ll do the same.

As for how his book came about, Wood’s manager was the inspiration.

“My manager said, ‘I’ve got something of yours that’s really precious,’” Wood explains. “I was like, ‘What are you talking about?’ She showed me the diary – my brother had found it while cleaning, I gather – and she said that she thought it was fantastic and should be published.

“I had obviously no idea of doing that. But after I read it, and some of the memories came flooding back, I thought, ‘Actually, that’s not a bad idea! Just leave it as is, dig out some drawings and photos, and do a few more to spice it up a bit.’”

It’s a fascinating time capsule, with the seemingly mundane day-by-day events now taking on historic significance.

“We were rubbing shoulders with all the big boys,” Wood recalls. “The Who, the Stones. They kind of took us under their wing and gave us encouragement. And I kept this little personal record of whether the audiences were a bunch of cretins or went screaming mad.

“We’d get different receptions all over the country, but it was all about the gig at the end of the day and how much we were getting. I used to compare it to the Stones, when they were starting to make it. They’d maybe make 250 pounds at the weekend, and we were getting 75 quid. So I was like, ‘Yeah, we’re getting there! We’re getting there!’”

One of the constant conflicts within the Birds was about the volume on stage.

“Yeah, it’s hilarious,” Wood says, with a hearty laugh. “Especially trying to get through the BBC audition, which we failed. Anything louder than a string quartet just didn’t make it. The Who did okay, though. And they were much louder than us! But they also had “I Can’t Explain” or whatever it was at the time. They had a hit – the BBC couldn’t really turn them down. But if you didn’t have a chalk mark in the charts, and the Birds didn’t, then that wasn’t enough for the BBC.”

The Birds struggled to break out amongst the surge of U.K. bands playing an English brand of American R&B.

Even so, their reputation as a live act is legendary, and the few songs that have been included on various compilations are unique, raw glimpses into what was going on in England at the time beyond the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Who and Small Faces, in which Wood later cut his teeth and became ever more enamored by the rock ‘n’ roll lifestyle.

His next stop was the Jeff Beck Group, which the titular guitar virtuoso formed after leaving the Yardbirds.

“In the Beck Group, Jeff was heavily influenced by the Chicago blues and Vanilla Fudge, bands like that coming out of the woodwork,” Wood recalls. “So we would do a blend of all the influences, plus a little bit of Beach Boys, a little bit of the blues. We put all these things into a melting pot.

“I also learned an aspect during the Beck days of how to look anew at the six strings of the guitar, from playing the four strings of the bass,” Wood says, having been switched by management to bass for the Beck Group gig. “I took the bass to another level, in my opinion.

“I used to hang out with people like Larry Graham and John Entwisle. Great players. It was inspiring and competitive, ” he recalls. “And it was the funk years, too. Players like Stanley Clarke have told me that I was a heavy influence on the way they played, unbeknownst to me. A lot of bass players I meet nowadays love those Truth/Beck-ola days. And I used to take a lot of cues from the drummers, like Aynsley Dunbar, Mickey Waller, as well.

“I learned a lot about the approach to the bass guitar from drummers. So the time I had away from the guitar while I was playing the bass was handy, because I came in knowing the kind of slide aspect and with a new vigor and enthusiasm when I went back on it with the Faces.”

Wood and Rod Stewart, who sang with the Jeff Beck Group, became brothers in arms during those days.

And almost immediately after leaving, they joined the then newly reformed Small Faces – Ronnie Lane, Kenney Jones and Ian McLagan, who Steve Marriott had ditched to form Humble Pie – as the Faces. It was a match made in heaven.

“Those days were glorious,” Wood says, thinking back fondly on the early-’70s heyday as the only band that truly rivaled the Stones for the “greatest rock ‘n’ roll group” title during that era. “We were like brothers. We fought like brothers. We partied like brothers. Our shows were a wild mix of music and drinking, with the audience in on the action. Then they’d join us back at the hotel!”

In retrospect, his tenure with the Stones seems inevitable.

By the mid-70s Wood’s social circle revolved increasingly around the band, just as the Faces began to collapse under the weight of Stewart’s skyrocketing solo career. With the departure of Mick Taylor from the Stones, Wood was asked by Mick Jagger to pick up the torch.

“I always knew I was gonna end up in the Stones,” Wood says, matter of factly. “They were my mates, you know, but I remember being at the Hyde Park show in ‘69, and Mick and Charlie rolled up in this big car full of people. Mick came right up to me and said, ‘Hello Face,’ ‘cuz that’s what he called me then, as I was in the Faces. We talked for a while and then he went, ‘OK, we gotta go and play. See you soon’. I said, ‘Yeah, sooner than you think.’

“I was always certain I would end up in the Stones, and a few years later I did. Mind you, I was with them for ages – I did a 17-year apprenticeship – before they made me a full member! But I was looking for an adventure, and I definitely got that.”

These days, Wood says, the enormous Stones organization rolls along as soon as Jagger and Richards agree it’s time to hit the road.

“The organization behind the band is enormous,” says Wood. “All I do is slot in and play my part.”

“I used everything that came before the Stones as a stepping stone, though,” Wood says of his wild, but ever-busy, days before joining the band. “And I still do today. I’m still improving and still have ambition, which is a major driving force that still keeps me going. Every Stones gig is different and better and changing. It’s been the same throughout my career no matter what I’ve been playing.”

As for advice for young musicians, Wood simply says don’t give up.

“I think with experience, the more wisdom you accrue over the years, you get a feel and more of a confidence to go through with an idea and see it as it is going to come out,” he says, picking up on the earlier thread about his long apprenticeship.

“As a player, you’ll get more of an idea about how a song will last in the future, because when you first have a song, it’s going to go through a lot of changes before it falls into its proper structure that’s going to last for years. You get more of an insight into that.

“There’s no need to play all the time, that’s important, too,” Wood continues. “What you leave out is very important. Then, when you do interject and interplay with each other, it makes more dynamic sense. Also, it creates less cluttering. It just defines the whole song, whatever it may be, if you aren’t treading on each others’ toes too much.

“Bust mostly, I’d tell any young player not to give up,” Wood says, summing up. “And to keep experimenting and trying. Have faith that you too can achieve your dream. You can make it come true.”

On the Stones’ freshly completed Zip Code tour, Wood seems to be playing better than ever.

The band recently performed their 1971 classic Sticky Fingers in its entirety at a one-off show in Los Angeles, in addition to the newly-released deluxe edition of the album, which includes the remastered LP and live recordings from the ’71 tour. Seeing Wood perform today is a master class in sympathetic guitar playing, as he simultaneously serves the song and plays around, and to, the strengths of his longtime foil, Keith Richards.

“I think there’s a new clarity of approach, coming with my five years sobriety,” Wood explains. “That’s an amazing plus for me, because I can play anything without a drink or dope. It’s a wonderful feeling to still feel excited about a show, but I don’t have to reach for false stimulants to get me through. That’s a big plus.

“It’s hard to explain until one does it,” Wood says, “But there comes an even further depth of understanding of songs. It changes all the time, too. Just to keep up with it and keep grips with it and experiment. You still experiment. Amazing new things are coming out, but it’s out of a very focused place.”

As we wrap up, and Wood reflects his 40 years in the Stones, and the 50 years and counting of the Rolling Stones as one of the world’s biggest acts, he seems mystified that anyone cares about the band’s advancing years.

The blues legends that the teenage Wood admired so much, like Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf, Bo Diddley and Elmore James, played until they dropped, and Wood says he and the other Stones see no reason not to follow suit.

“We’re all so different,” Wood says, reflecting. “We lead such different lives. But there’s also this strong sense of camaraderie between us that really comes through in the music.

“We’ve been doing this a long time together and I think that’s helped up appreciate each other’s differences. I think it’s helped it work over the years, and get better, in my opinion. So why should we stop? I certainly hope we keep going. I think we still have a lot of music to make. “

Jeff Slate is a New York City-based solo singer-songwriter and music journalist. He has interviewed and written intimate portraits of everyone from Led Zeppelin and The Clash to Monty Python and rock musicals on Broadway. He is an avid collector of rock ‘n’ roll books and bootlegs and has an encyclopedic knowledge of all things Dylan and the Beatles.

TIDAL is proud to announce the world's first music service with High Fidelity sound quality, High Definition music videos and expertly curated Editorial.

Online version with photos and links :
http://read.tidal.com/article/ronnie-wood-like-a-rolling-stone
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2015 at 4:15pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #2068 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 4:32pm
Ah Woody, bless 'im. He can be as full of it as Keith, but has such a generousness of spirit that it's always a joy to hear him talk, even if he doesn't always get his facts straight.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2069 - Aug 25th, 2015 at 7:01pm
Outside BBC Radio 2, London, England, UK - August 25, 2015 @ and special thanks Alex Huckle

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2070 - Aug 28th, 2015 at 4:32pm
https://www.waterstones.com/events/ronnie-wood-in-conversation/london-piccadilly

Ronnie Wood : In Conversation.
Friday 11th September 18:30 at London - Piccadilly

How Can it be?: A Rock & Roll Diary (Hardback)

Ronnie’s adventures on the road to superstardom were handwritten in his private diary of 1965. Now, celebrating a life in music, Ronnie Wood guides us through the pages of his rediscovered journal. Featuring fascinating recollections of legends such as Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Rod Stewart and Pete Townshend, with his entertaining new commentary, hand-drawn illustrations, and rare photos and memorabilia.

Tickets are £27 which includes a special copy of How Can it Be? A Rock & Roll Diary to be collected at the event. (A booking fee will apply)

The copy will be a first edition and includes a special commemorative bookplate with facsimile signature and self-portrait.

Please note that due to time constraints there will be no opportunity for a public signing.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #2071 - Sep 10th, 2015 at 2:15pm
Ronnie's new video:

https://vimeo.com/125028050

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2072 - Sep 11th, 2015 at 8:32pm

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #2073 - Sep 12th, 2015 at 12:15am
Who was the lady with the disintegrated match (of Ronald's) from 1965?

Noel Fielding did a dandy job.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #2074 - Sep 13th, 2015 at 2:19pm
Edith Grove wrote on Sep 10th, 2015 at 2:15pm:
Ronnie's new video:

https://vimeo.com/125028050

Thanks for posting this!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 ... 106
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)