Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 43
Send Topic Print
Townshend/Who News (nsc) (Read 313,287 times)
Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Re: Townshend/Who News (nsc)
Reply #900 - Feb 14th, 2016 at 10:17am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

http://www.thewholive.net/concert/index.php?id=2106&Jahr=2016&GroupID=1

The Who

Sat, 13 February 2016:
London, The SSE Arena
Setlist

Who Are You
The Seeker
The Kids Are Alright
I Can See For Miles
My Generation
Pictures Of Lily
Behind Blue Eyes
Bargain
Join Together
You Better You Bet
I'm One
The Rock
Love Reign O'er Me
Eminence Front
Amazing Journey
Sparks
Pinball Wizard
See Me Feel Me
Baba O'Riley
Won't Get Fooled Again

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #901 - Feb 14th, 2016 at 10:18am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-to-listen-to/the-who-wembley-arena-review-...

" The Who, Wembley Arena, review: 'high-voltage virtuosity' "

"  The Who onstage at Wembley, February 13, 2016 "

" On May 1, it'll be 50 years since veteran rock icons The Who first appeared at this enduring enormodome next to Wembley stadium. On that occasion, they played alongside the Beatles and the Rolling Stones at the 1966 NME Pollwinners' Party.

Here, they were kicking off the final leg of a world tour they've been billing as their last, warming up for a 28-date trawl across North America, which opens in Detroit on Saturday week.

The band's irascible guitarist and lyricist, Pete Townshend, now 70, jokingly noted in the run-up that The Who Hits 50 Tour was undertaken “to demonstrate that even this particular gang can grow old – not necessarily gracefully, but ungracefully, or whatever it is that we’re doing”.

The show has already been greeted feverishly around the world, for providing the kind of no-nonsense barrage of unassailable rock classics, which, in this heritage-rock era, only the Stones and Paul McCartney can rival.

Last summer, however, it ran into problems. Townshend branded their festival-closing set at Glastonbury as “one of the very worst the band has ever played”. They later claimed their gear had been “sabotaged”.

Come September, their second US jaunt in as many years was postponed, after their rasping singer, Roger Daltrey, 71, was diagnosed with viral meningitis. The American dates were duly rescheduled, with tonight’s show slotted in as a casual loosener – in front of a mere 12,500 devotees.

Their introductory stage backdrop read "Keep Calm, Here Comes The Who Are Coming", and as the opening Who Are You? flew out of the traps, everything indeed seemed to be back working properly, with Townshend literally punching his guitar strings, and Daltrey bringing his familiar growling menace.

"I'm still working off my Christmas pud," noted the former, during an early breather, while the latter charitably deemed the venue "still the same p---hole it always was".

Townshend went on to jest that he couldn't see his set list, and that if he bent over for a closer look, he may never get up again. There was, however, a robust and entirely unwilting muscularity to the opening sequence of Sixties nuggets they pummelled forth, which included The Seeker, The Kids Are Alright, and a sparkling I Can See For Miles.

By "My Generation" - "'before I get old', who f--- wrote that?", quipped Townshend again - The Who were in full flight, powered to astonishing heights by an especially up-for-it Zak Starkey, son of Ringo Starr, on drums.

The hits kept coming - a savage Bargain, You Better You Bet given fresh zip - and, in the shadow of David Bowie's passing, it felt thoroughly appropriate simply to bask in this mighty band's ear-blasting past glories.

A dip into 1973's rock opera, Quadrophenia, reduced its meandering existential agonies to a comparatively lean exhibition of high-voltage group virtuosity, setting the scene for a dazzling home run. It was jumpstarted by an euphoric Pinball Wizard and culminated, around the two-hour mark, with a bruisingly uplifting Won't Get Fooled Again, every punter from eight to 80 punching the air like a victorious revolutionary.

In short, America's in for a treat. As these grizzled septuagenarians milked the ovation for their feats of rockin’ physicality like punch-drunk boxers, there were no hard-and-fast goodbyes. “We hope to see you again soon,” gushed Townshend. Sustained touring may now be off the agenda, but the door appears to be very much open for one-off appearances. Whatever it is that they’re doing, it’s unlikely that The Who, in this form, will give it up voluntarily. "

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #902 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 9:43am

http://www.thewholive.net/review/index.php?showid=2071&reviewid=577&GroupID=1

" The Who delivers a final Detroit hurrah
Detroit Free Press, 28-02-2016 "

" Half a century ago, nobody in America embraced the Who more quickly than Detroit, where the band’s loud, edge-of-chaos rock ‘n’ roll seemed custom-made for the place.

On Saturday night, Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey served it up one last time for the Motor City — albeit in more polished form — as the band embarked on its final round of U.S. touring.

It was a full-bodied, free-spirited show for a capacity crowd at Joe Louis Arena, where the band’s surviving duo led an upbeat journey through the band’s hit repertoire. Detroit was the kickoff of a tour that’s set to run through May, making up for dates canceled in the fall after Daltrey’s debilitating bout with viral meningitis.

The manic energy may be tempered now, the mood more nostalgic than dangerous, but there was plenty of trademark Who on the Joe Louis stage in a show that conjured some of rock’s most iconic imagery: Daltrey’s marching moves and swinging microphone, Townshend’s windmilling guitar strokes and crisp rhythmic riffing.

Forty-nine years after the band’s first southeast Michigan visits — shows in Ann Arbor and Southfield in 1967 — Saturday night was a final hurrah for the Who and a region that promptly gravitated to the band all those years ago.

Will we see the Who again in Detroit?

“Nope,” Townshend, 70, told the Free Press backstage. “We might do occasional shows, but we won’t be touring again.”

The guitarist added: “You know, unlike a sports team, we can’t replace our members. It’s not dissimilar — you get to a certain age, you can do (only) a certain amount. You get to a certain age, and it’s tricky to do the road work.”

The touring grind may be tough, but for two hours onstage Saturday, there were triumphant moments to be had for Townshend, Daltrey and their six-man accompaniment, including longtime drummer Zak Starkey and Michigan native John Corey on keyboards.

Diving in with a tight, pulsing “Who Are You,” the band launched a set that hit most of the requisite touchstones — from a chugging, chiming “The Kids Are Alright” through a rollicking “My Generation” with its obligatory Townshend guitar vamp to a shining stretch of “Tommy” material.

The night wasn’t without the occasional sour note, including an unfortunately bungled “Won’t Get Fooled Again” to close the show. Daltrey started the evening strong but flagged toward the end, turning his back to cough and spit between numbers, handing over the high notes to guitarist Simon Townshend on songs like “Bargain,” and letting the crowd take over parts of “Baba O’Riley.”

Still, Daltrey had his moment in the sun, nailing a soaring “Love, Reign O’er Me” in one of the night’s musical and emotional peaks, complete with Townshend's cinematic guitar work.

The band had spent several days in metro Detroit ahead of the tour opener, with Townshend taking the opportunity to head into Waterford's new 45 Factory studio for a Friday night recording session, where he tracked a new acoustic song for an upcoming project. The '60s-inspired studio was opened in November by engineer Ryan McGuire, who for years has helped outfit Townshend's personal studios via his role with the Ferndale-based gear company Vintage King.

Townshend was a talkative, chipper presence throughout Saturday's set, recalling the '60s era when Detroit represented “real rock ‘n’ roll" and telling the Joe crowd: “We still think of you fondly.”

Backstage, Townshend reminisced about the Who’s early years in Detroit, where “Happy Jack” broke out of the local radio market to become the group’s first big U.S. hit and the band woodshedded at the Grande Ballroom to open its “Tommy” tour. He recounted the group’s first Michigan show — a June ’67 gig at Ann Arbor’s Fifth Dimension for “15 or 20 people” — where an unnamed MC5 member unsuccessfully tried to convince Townshend and his girlfriend to drop acid.

Ahead of Saturday's Joe Louis show, Townshend met with Grande founder Russ Gibb, 84, “teasing him about predicting that Paul McCartney was dead,” a nod to Gibb’s role in the infamous 1969 “Paul is Dead” hoax.

It was that kind of night — loose, warm and fittingly capped onstage by Daltrey as he sent the crowd off with what’s become his go-to maxim: “Be happy, be healthy and be lucky!”

at, 27 February 2016:
Detroit, MI, Joe Louis Arena
Setlist

Who Are You
The Seeker
The Kids Are Alright
I Can See For Miles
My Generation
The Real Me
Behind Blue Eyes
Bargain
Join Together
You Better You Bet
I'm One
The Rock
Love Reign O'er Me
Eminence Front
Amazing Journey
Sparks
Pinball Wizard
See Me Feel Me
Baba O'Riley
Won't Get Fooled Again
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2016 at 7:09pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #903 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 7:06pm

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #904 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 12:17am
Joey wrote on Feb 28th, 2016 at 7:06pm:

whochestra

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #905 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 2:39pm
Joey wrote on Feb 14th, 2016 at 10:17am:
http://www.thewholive.net/concert/index.php?id=2106&Jahr=2016&GroupID=1

The Who

Sat, 13 February 2016:
London, The SSE Arena
Setlist

Who Are You
The Seeker
The Kids Are Alright
I Can See For Miles
My Generation
Pictures Of Lily
Behind Blue Eyes
Bargain
Join Together
You Better You Bet
I'm One
The Rock
Love Reign O'er Me
Eminence Front
Amazing Journey
Sparks
Pinball Wizard
See Me Feel Me
Baba O'Riley
Won't Get Fooled Again

Hope we get a decent live disc this time around. I'm up to here with fucking TOMMY live, and bloody QUADBOLLOCKS live. Uncle Pete! OI! Give us a proper live LP and stop this psychoderelict nonsense. How about English Boy LIVE. I know it's a solo but, so what? What a song?

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #906 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 9:36am

" THE WHO " performed last evening on The Tonight Show :

{ Watch Now }

http://headlineplanet.com/home/2016/03/04/the-who-performs-on-the-tonight-show-s...

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #907 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 10:06am
Joey wrote on Mar 5th, 2016 at 9:36am:
" THE WHO " performed last evening on The Tonight Show :

{ Watch Now }

http://headlineplanet.com/home/2016/03/04/the-who-performs-on-the-tonight-show-s...

moonie and johnny were there

word

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #908 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 11:39am
mojo  ...... got your ticky  ... ?!   

http://www.thewholive.net/review/index.php?showid=2073&reviewid=580&GroupID=1

" The Who

Newspaper Review (New York, NY - Thu, 03 March 2016) "

" The Who Triumph at MSG
Best Classics band, 04-03-2016"

" We’ve been hearing for decades – since at least 1982’s “Farewell Tour” – that The Who would be calling it quits as a touring band. So when Best Classic Bands relayed a quote that Pete Townshend gave to the Detroit Free Press at the long-delayed start of the second phase of The Who Hits 50! tour on February 27th: “We might do occasional shows, but we won’t be touring again” – this time we believed him.

Townshend was just 37 during that ’82 tour; Roger Daltrey and John Entwistle were both 38. Townshend is now 70. Daltrey just turned 72 (imagine that). And Entwistle, sadly, didn’t make it to 58; he’s been gone for nearly 14 years.

So the Hits 50! tour arrived at New York’s Madison Square Garden on Thursday night (March 3rd) and I can happily report that if you are on the fence as to whether you should see this classic rock band perform their career retrospective, do what you can to beg, borrow or steal a ticket. They were that good.

I’ve seen The Who perform live at least a dozen times, the first being the original Quadrophenia tour in 1974 at the very same venue. (Amazingly, as I write this, I realize that was the only time I ever saw them with Keith Moon.) The band augmented their stage show long ago; their current lineup boasts eight members.

After kicking things off with an explosive “Who Are You” (with Townshend’s flourishing windmills punctuating things), the group played four of their earlier hits (see the complete setlist below). Introducing their first U.S. hit, “I Can See For Miles,” Townshend shared how the band had made their U.S. live debut in 1967 at famed DJ Murray the K’s legendary all-day show at the RKO Theater with “4 or 5” sets.

Things began to seriously rock when The Who performed two Who’s Next favorites: “Behind Blue Eyes” and “Bargain.” Then came the familiar sounds of the jaw harp (from keyboard player Loren Gold) and harmonica heralding the start of a personal favorite, 1972’s “Join Together” (which was never included on a Who studio album). I had only heard this song performed once and while their current live version of it is a bit restrained; on the studio version, after Daltrey sings “I want you to joiiiinnn together with the band…” Townshend’s guitar chords scream at the one-minute mark. It’s still a crowd pleaser and I was grateful to hear it again.

This second North American leg of the tour was delayed for months to allow Daltrey to recover from a bout with viral meningitis. I’m happy to report that the man manages to hit the high notes. There’s that moment towards the end of 1981’s “You Better You Bet” when Daltrey’s voice elevates – “When I say I need you, you scream ‘You’d betttter!” – and, bless him, he absolutely nailed it.

Townshend picked up his acoustic guitar and sang one of Quadrophenia‘s easily overlooked gems, “I’m One.” Then Daltrey praised Townshend’s (overlooked?) genius as a musical composer as the band launched into another personal favorite: Quad‘s penultimate track, the instrumental “The Rock.” On the 1973 recording, the song is a showcase for Moon’s tremendous skill on drums, and when the screen behind the stage showed Moonie on the kit, the MSG crowd cheered.

But Moon’s legacy overlooks that of his longtime replacement Zak Starkey, who is somehow not only 50 years old – Ringo’s kid is 50?!? – but has now been performing with The Who for well over 20 years, far eclipsing Moon’s tenure. (If you knew that Moon – a close pal of Ringo – is Zak Starkey’s godfather, raise your hand.)

A lovely extended piano intro from John Cory precedes Daltrey’s showcase on “Love Reign O’er Me.” The vocalist was able to hit that song’s tricky primal scream – “Looooove” – that comes towards the end; maybe not as well as his 28-year-old self did while recording it but solid nevertheless.

Four songs from Tommy and the two war horses, “Baba O’Riley” and “Won’t Get Fooled Again,” triumphantly finished things up. Townshend introduced the band and the crowd’s expectation was that maybe The Who would offer one final gem. “Long Live Rock”? “Magic Bus?” Alas, it wasn’t meant to be and I realized that really may have been the last time I’d see them. Now it’s your turn: Go see ’em.

Greg Brodsky
Go to Concert (Thu, 03 March 2016)  "

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #909 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 12:08pm

Enjoy !!! :

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #910 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 4:45pm
Joey wrote on Mar 5th, 2016 at 11:39am:
mojo  ...... got your ticky  ... ?!   

anyhow
anyway
anywho
anywhere
anybody

developing

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #911 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 7:01am
I saw them for my eighteenth time in Boston Monday.  I was unsure what to expect, the last few shows being mediocre over the years, but if this it they went out on a high note.  It was a GREAT show!  Zak is the greatest living rock drummer.
Who Are You
The Seeker
The Kids Are Alright
I Can See for Miles
My Generation
The Real Me
Pictures of Lily
Behind Blue Eyes
Bargain
Join Together
You Better You Bet
I'm One
The Rock
Love, Reign O'er Me
Eminence Front
Amazing Journey
Sparks
Pinball Wizard
See Me, Feel Me
Baba O'Riley
Won't Get Fooled Again

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #912 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 2:47pm
Got my copy of The Who in Hyde Park yesterday. Although I haven't had a chance to play it as yet.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #913 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 9:41pm

Emotional !!!!!!

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #914 - Mar 15th, 2016 at 12:09am
they certainly made it seem it was the final curtain call, was a bit on the fence about goin but would never forgive myself for passing on the band performing so close. maybe a little soft in some passages but some old magic. the seeker, join together, i m one..the rock and amazing journey. i will never forget moons a cappella bell boy performance in there. god bless em. don't let go the coat........

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #915 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 1:41pm

<    ------   " The Who " to play Coachella ?!   ..... In October ?!   .... !!!!!

http://www.fuse.tv/2016/04/coachella-classic-rock-fest-dylan-stones

" As these acts typically deliver sets lasting two or three hours apiece, the lineup will likely stay close to these six heavy-hitters: The L.A. Times notes that the first night, October 7, will likely feature sets from Dylan and the Stones, with Macca and Neil Young playing on October 8 and Roger Waters and the Who closing out the weekend on October 9. "

« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2016 at 1:50pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #916 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 11:13pm
Gazza wrote on Jun 7th, 2015 at 7:23pm:

Shit Gaz! Kit now looks like a dead ringer for Terence no?

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #917 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 5:09pm

http://www.thewholive.net/concert/index.php?id=2085&Jahr=2016&GroupID=1

The Who

Wed, 27 April 2016:

Toronto, ON, Air Canada Centre

Setlist

I Can't Explain
Who Are You
The Seeker
The Kids Are Alright
I Can See For Miles
My Generation
Pictures Of Lily
Behind Blue Eyes
Bargain
Join Together
You Better You Bet
I'm One
The Rock
Love Reign O'er Me
Eminence Front
Amazing Journey
Sparks
Pinball Wizard
See Me Feel Me
Baba O'Riley
Won't Get Fooled Again

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #918 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 9:38pm

Emotional !!!!!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #919 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 11:29am

IP Logged

MRD8
Rocks Off Regular

Melbourne, Florida
Reply #920 - Apr 30th, 2016 at 4:51pm
Did you go see the KC show?

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #921 - May 1st, 2016 at 10:35am
MRD8 wrote on Apr 30th, 2016 at 4:51pm:

Bob   --  I could not as my family and myself had to attend the annual Warren Buffett " Woodstock for Capitalists " at the C - Link Center here in Omaha  .  Must have been AT LEAST 40K people spread around the Arena / Convention Center all day yesterday  . 

http://www.omaha.com/money/buffett/with-worldwide-audience-warren-buffett-talks-...
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2016 at 10:37am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #922 - May 1st, 2016 at 11:08am
MRD8 wrote on Apr 30th, 2016 at 4:51pm:

http://www.dgmlive.com/tour.htm

Oh no! not you again Are you fucking serious? will ya 2 piss off

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

lavendar
Rocks Off Regular

Buffalo,NY
Reply #923 - May 1st, 2016 at 3:02pm
"The Who" just played Toronto Smiley

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #924 - May 3rd, 2016 at 2:38pm

<  --------------- " The Who  "  to tour Europe this summer  :

https://www.thewho.com/back-tour-2016/

" The band will take their audience on an ‘Amazing Journey’ through their entire career from the days of THE HIGH NUMBERS to classic albums such as WHO’S NEXT, TOMMY, QUADROPHENIA, MY GENERATION, LIVE AT LEEDS up to the present day. "

BACK TO THE WHO TOUR 2016

DATE                              CITY                                       VENUE          

Mon   8/29                 Glasgow, UK                          The SSE Hydro

Wed   8/31               Manchester, UK                     Manchester Arena

Sat     9/3                  Sheffield, UK                           Sheffield Arena

Mon   9/5                 Birmingham, UK                       Genting Arena

Wed    9/7                 Liverpool, UK                             Echo Arena

Sat    9/10         Oberhausen, GERMANY          Koenig Pilsener Arena

Mon    9/12            Stuttgart, GERMANY                  Schleyer-Halle

Wed    9/14            Vienna, AUSTRIA                    Wiener Stadhalle

Sat     9/17               Bologna, ITALY                         Unipol Arena

Mon    9/19                Milan, ITALY                        Mediolanum Forum
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2016 at 2:40pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 43
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)