Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 43
Send Topic Print
Townshend/Who News (nsc) (Read 313,744 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Townshend/Who News (nsc)
Reply #850 - May 13th, 2015 at 5:30am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Is this the Townshend/Who thread ??

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #851 - May 13th, 2015 at 5:00pm
sirmoonie wrote on May 13th, 2015 at 1:30am:
gypsymofo60 wrote on May 13th, 2015 at 1:23am:
So as a proud Brit I say without hesitation Britain fought tenaciously throughout WWII but, without America and Russia zhe  ZHERMANS would have been marching down Whitehall by 1942.                   

If you're going to drink, you need to learn how to do it.  Otherwise, its just ballbaggitry.
[size=24][/size]
Drink? It was 7Am for fuck's sake. If you're going to piss-take the Brits, remember one thing. We, or rather the Brits of the time held off the hun long enough so that we totally diminished their airforce and, operation 'Sealion' was thus cancelled. Drink? What a twat!

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #852 - May 13th, 2015 at 5:34pm
gypsymofo60 wrote on May 13th, 2015 at 5:00pm:
So as a proud Brit I say without hesitation Britain fought tenaciously throughout WWII but, without America and Russia zhe  ZHERMANS would have been marching down Whitehall by 1942.                   

If you're going to drink, you need to learn how to do it.  Otherwise, its just ballbaggitry.
[size=24][/size]
Drink? It was 7Am for fuck's sake. If you're going to piss-take the Brits, remember one thing. We, or rather the Brits of the time held off the hun long enough so that we totally diminished their airforce and, operation 'Sealion' was thus cancelled. Drink? What a twat!

I drink at 7am.  Look, mofo, learn to read, you huff-muffing nitwit.  First, you couldn't figure out what connotation and sense "won" was being used in, and went into an off tangent spazz.  Now you're accusing me, of all the fucking posters on this board, of piss-taking the Brits and not knowing who held off the Huns???  Get a grip, galoshes.  And when you're done getting that grip, try to reconcile all your inconsistent statements. 

(P.S.  The Hun apologists around here get upset when you refer to Huns as Huns.  I'm just helping you out on that one.  Doing you a solid, Chisum.)

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Re: Townshend/Who News
Reply #853 - May 16th, 2015 at 2:24pm
I just caught the Nashville show at the Bridgestone Arena with my son on May 11. The upper level was tarped. I got a pair of Lower deck tickets at the box office for $35 each 2 days before the show. Audience in attendance was pumped. Townsend was outstanding from start to finish. Daltry was great but his voice is shot, still he gave it his all, even yow-ing at the top of his lungs in the beginning of We Wont Get Fooled Again. They rocked the house, it was a great show. They played all of their "hits", 22 excellent songs, rocked them all, but no encore. Joan Jett and the Blackharts opened up, she is one cool rock and roller. My son was totally impressed with The Who and puts them in the league of The Stones and I have to agree, they are seasoned, top quality musicians on a 50 Year mission to prove they still got what it takes. Zack Starkey is really explosive on the drums! Yeah!! Now tell me WHO, who, who, who are YOU?

Setlist:
I Can't Explain
The Seeker
Who Are You
The Kids Are Alright
Squeeze Box
I Can See for Miles
My Generation
Magic Bus
Behind Blue Eyes
Bargain
Join Together
You Better You Bet
I'm One
Love, Reign O'er Me
Eminence Front
A Quick One (While He's Away)
Amazing Journey
Sparks
Pinball Wizard
See Me, Feel Me
Baba O'Riley
Won't Get Fooled Again

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #854 - May 16th, 2015 at 2:34pm
Some fabulous footage from the "Celebration of the WHO concert to Benefit Teenagers with Cancer."show at the Rosemont Theatre, Chicago on Thursday night.

Pete Townshend and Eddie Vedder - Behind Blue Eyes

Pete Townshend and Eddie Vedder - Better Man

Joined by Rick Nielsen and Joe Walsh for 'Wont Get Fooled Again' and 'My Generation'  :

« Last Edit: May 16th, 2015 at 2:35pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #855 - May 16th, 2015 at 2:36pm
Gazza wrote on May 6th, 2015 at 6:11pm:
The Last Internationale have just confirmed they're opening for The Who in Amsterdam and Paris.

Definitely worth going early for. Best new band I've seen live in many years - and on the evidence of their support slot for Robert Plant last November, possibly the best opening act I've ever seen.

I'm hoping their own Euro tour will include Irish dates, but if not, then opening for The Who in Belfast would be a nice substitute.

and so it came to pass.  Belfast and Dublin too.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #856 - May 17th, 2015 at 10:44am
Gazza wrote on May 16th, 2015 at 2:36pm:
[quote author=0E28333328490 link=1251304913/834#834 date=1430953905]The Last Internationale have just confirmed they're opening for The Who in Amsterdam and Paris.

Definitely worth going early for. Best new band I've seen live in many years -

Thanks for posting this...i have been hearing about these cats for a while now...never really checked them out until now. The music out of NYC is sporadic, yet what breaks thru is consistently good. Still a RnR town at heart...

Check out the Mooney  Suzuki if you like these guys...

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #857 - May 17th, 2015 at 11:36am
Gazza wrote on May 16th, 2015 at 2:34pm:
Some fabulous footage from the "Celebration of the WHO concert to Benefit Teenagers with Cancer."show at the Rosemont Theatre, Chicago on Thursday night.

Pete Townshend and Eddie Vedder - Behind Blue Eyes

Pete Townshend and Eddie Vedder - Better Man

Joined by Rick Nielsen and Joe Walsh for 'Wont Get Fooled Again' and 'My Generation'  :

These are fantastic.  Townshend is enjoying himself no matter what he says.  Great seeing Walsh - he and Townshend have been pals for decades.  I had forgotten who Rick Nielsen was until I saw the video.  Who would have though the Who would be covering a Pearl Jam song (maybe this has happened before)?  Great rock and roll keeps flowing along.......

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Re: Townshend/Who News
Reply #858 - May 17th, 2015 at 6:22pm
"  Daltry was great but his voice is shot, still he gave it his all, even yow-ing at the top of his lungs in the beginning of We Wont Get Fooled Again. They rocked the house, it was a great show. They played all of their "hits", 22 excellent songs, rocked them all, but no encore. Joan Jett and the Blackharts opened up, she is one cool rock and roller. My son was totally impressed with The Who and puts them in the league of The Stones and I have to agree, they are seasoned, top quality musicians on a 50 Year mission to prove they still got what it takes. Zack Starkey is really explosive on the drums! Yeah!! Now tell me WHO, who, who, who are YOU?  "

Glad you enjoyed the show Bitch  .  Roger's voice is much stronger now than it was even a few years ago  ( See Super Bowl Halftime Show back in 2010  ) .   My guess is that they will reschedule all of the postponed gigs for 2016 .

Jacky Townshend ™

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #859 - May 17th, 2015 at 8:11pm
I am catching them in Oregon and Massachusetts this year.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #860 - May 18th, 2015 at 7:42pm
stellar performance by the eight member whochestra in philly last night. highlights were the seeker, squeeze box, bargain, join together and a quick one! after keith moon showed up it was blur. dude can drink couldnt keep up as much as i tried. also fantastic warm up from the leatherly ms jett.

don't let go the coat...

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #861 - May 19th, 2015 at 10:02am
happy birthday mr townshend!!!
seventy and counting!!!

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #862 - May 19th, 2015 at 10:04am

<  --------     Happy Happy 70th  Birthday Pete !!!!!!!!

http://thewho.com/

« Last Edit: May 19th, 2015 at 10:09am by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #863 - May 19th, 2015 at 4:51pm
sirmoonie wrote on May 13th, 2015 at 5:34pm:
gypsymofo60 wrote on May 13th, 2015 at 5:00pm:

[size=24][/size]

I drink at 7am.  Look, mofo, learn to read, you huff-muffing nitwit.  First, you couldn't figure out what connotation and sense "won" was being used in, and went into an off tangent spazz.  Now you're accusing me, of all the fucking posters on this board, of piss-taking the Brits and not knowing who held off the Huns???  Get a grip, galoshes.  And when you're done getting that grip, try to reconcile all your inconsistent statements. 

(P.S.  The Hun apologists around here get upset when you refer to Huns as Huns.  I'm just helping you out on that one.  Doing you a solid, Chisum.)
Whoa there Moon, settle petal. Twas all but in jest. Maybe we should all drink at 7AM. Here's lookin' at ya kid. Cheers!

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #864 - May 22nd, 2015 at 4:49pm

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #865 - May 22nd, 2015 at 9:22pm
mojoman wrote on May 22nd, 2015 at 4:49pm:

Isn't that how you celebrated your Bday Mojo?  Better seen on weed! smoking more weed is good for your health really?

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Right here in the USA
Reply #866 - May 23rd, 2015 at 1:17am
mojoman wrote on May 22nd, 2015 at 4:49pm:
JOEY?

http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=818303

Roger Daltrey’s No Weed Zone

There will be no smoking mother nature around Roger Daltrey during “The Who Hits 50 !” tour. Apparently he almost lost his voice earlier this week when a fan smoking a number was too close for comfort.

...&&&&
IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #867 - May 29th, 2015 at 8:57am

https://www.yahoo.com/music/s/townshend-springtseen-daltrey-jam-nyc-event-050227...

"  NEW YORK (AP) — Bruce Springsteen called Pete Townshend "the greatest rhythm guitarist of all-time," told a story about attending his first Who concert as a pimply-faced teenager, and joined Townshend and surprise guest Roger Daltrey onstage for a rocking set.

The rock icons attended the MusiCares MAP Fund benefit in New York City on Thursday night, where Townshend and longtime Who manager, Bill Curbishley, were honored for their charitable efforts.

Springsteen, Daltrey and Townshend joined forces for "My Generation" at the Best Buy Theater in Times Square. They closed the event with "Won't Get Fooled Again," and were joined by Billy Idol and Willie Nile, who both hit the stage for solo sets earlier in the night.

"It's gonna be good. It's gonna be bad, but good-bad," Townshend said before the finale.   "

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #868 - May 29th, 2015 at 9:27am
Joey ?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

KMC
Rocks Off Regular

Bayonne, NJ
Reply #869 - May 29th, 2015 at 11:23am
The Who and Joan Jett rock Mohegan Sun Arena
Posted in Blogs, Concert Reviews, Reviews, Sounds From Across The Pond | Tags: connecticut, Joan Jett, Joan Jett and The Blackhearts, Mohegan Sun Arena, pete townshend, roger daltrey, The Who, The Who Hits 50, Uncasville
May 25, 2015 | John Curley

Rock veterans The Who were terrific at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, CT on Sunday, May 24th, a show that is part of the tour celebrating the band’s 50th anniversary. (Photo by Rick Diamond)
By John Curley
Pete Townshend, 70, and Roger Daltrey, 71, shook off the cobwebs to put on a thrilling show at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, CT on Sunday, May 24th. Their band, The Who, is celebrating their 50th anniversary this year with what Townshend and Daltrey insist will be their last major tour. The songs being performed by The Who on this tour read like a list of the band’s greatest hits, with a few rarely performed songs thrown in as something of a reward to the band’s hardcore fans. The most-recent song in the set list is 1982’s “Eminence Front.” The vast majority of the set consists of songs from the Keith Moon era, unquestionably the band’s heyday. While today’s version of The Who cannot be compared to the band at their peak, when they were quite arguably the greatest live act in rock, seeing them hit the stage with the opening blast of “I Can’t Explain,” their first single (from 1965), still elicits quite a thrill. Age has slowed Townshend and Daltrey a bit, but Townshend still windmills and bashes out power chords with the ferocity of a guitarist five decades his junior while Daltrey continues to whip the microphone around by its lead with reckless abandon.
The Who’s two-hour set was packed with highlights. “I Can’t Explain” sounded crisp and clean, and hasn’t lost any of its bite a half century after its release. “The Kids Are Alright” was fantastic, probably the best live version of the song that they have ever done. The medley of songs from Tommy was spine tingling. And getting to hear “I Can See For Miles,” “Squeeze Box,” and particularly “A Quick One (While He’s Away),” a song that The Who have not performed live for over four decades until this tour, get live airings was fantastic. (Townshend talked to the crowd about how the so-called mini-opera “A Quick One” helped pave the way for the full-length rock operas Tommy and Quadrophenia.) But the top marks for the night have to go to the performance of “Bargain.” I mean, wow! Daltrey’s voice, which he has had problems with on recent tours, sounded very powerful throughout the performance of “Bargain.” It seemed like the entire crowd was up on its feet throughout the song, and they let out a massive and sustained roar when the performance of the song was over.
Backing up Townshend and Daltrey were a very talented group of musicians. Jon Carin, Frank Simes, and Loren Gold were on keyboards and backing vocals. (Simes also serves as the band’s musical director.) Pete Townshend’s younger brother Simon Townshend was on guitar and backing vocals, Pino Palladino played bass, and Zak Starkey (Ringo Starr’s son) was on drums. Simes has worked on the backing vocals with the band to give The Who a vocal richness on stage that matches the studio recordings. It has made a difference in their sound. And, of course, Zak Starkey’s incredible, powerhouse drumming serves as the backbone of the band’s current live sound. Keith Moon, a friend of Starkey’s father, was a big musical inspiration to Starkey when he was a boy, and it shows in Starkey’s frenetic playing.
In addition to Townshend’s windmilling and Daltrey’s microphone twirling, the visual side of The Who’s performance was enhanced by videos for each song that were projected on a large screen behind the band. The best of these was the video used with “The Kids Are Alright” that incorporated scenes from the Quadrophenia film and fit seamlessly with the words and flow of the song.
Townshend and Daltrey seemed in good spirits throughout the show, and both men joked with the crowd quite a bit. While there was no encore, it was a nice touch that Townshend and Daltrey remained onstage for a few minutes after the last song of the set, which was the standard set closer “Won’t Get Fooled Again,” to talk to the crowd some more. Daltrey sounded sincere when he discussed how grateful he was for the fans. It was nice to hear. The one-time Angry Young Men may have softened a bit with age, but they can still put on one hell of a show to rival any band of any age. Go to TheWho.com for tour dates and see them live. You won’t be disappointed.
The Mohegan Sun Arena is not a particularly large venue, with a capacity of about 9000. That relative intimacy certainly was a factor in how powerful The Who’s performance seemed from the audience. It seemed like the crowd was right on top of the band. The Who performed 21 songs during their two-hour set.
Opening band Joan Jett and The Blackhearts got things off to a rousing start with their tight 11-song, 40-minute set. A recent inductee to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Jett, now 56, is a very engaging performer and, as corny as it may sound, it is clear that she really does love rock ‘n’ roll. Her enthusiasm was infectious, as she and her band ripped through what was essentially a greatest-hits set, with one new song, which is titled “Different,” thrown in. All of the hits from the ‘80s were performed: her version of The Runaways’ “Cherry Bomb,” her covers of Garry Glitter’s “Do You Wanna Touch Me (Oh Yeah),” Tommy James and the Shondells’ “Crimson and Clover,” The Arrows’ “I Love Rock ‘n’ Roll” (her biggest hit), and her own “Bad Reputation” and  “I Hate Myself For Loving You.” Prior to performing “Light Of Day,” Jett talked to the crowd about the film of the same name in which she starred with Michael J. Fox and how the song was written for the film by Bruce Springsteen. While Jett and her band performed the song, scenes from the film were shown on the large video screen behind the band. Jett’s star may have dimmed a bit since her hit-laden ‘80s heyday that featured heavy-rotation play of her videos on MTV. But she still rocks with the best of them. And the crowd loved her performance, given their enthusiastic response to it.

The set list for Joan Jett and The Blackhearts was as follows:
Bad Reputation
Cherry Bomb (cover of The Runaways song)
Do You Wanna Touch Me (Oh Yeah) (cover of Garry Glitter’s song)
You Drive Me Wild (cover of The Runaways song)
Light Of Day
Love Is Pain
The French Song
Different
I Love Rock ‘n’ Roll (cover of The Arrows’ song)
Crimson & Clover (cover of Tommy James and the Shondells’ song)
I Hate Myself For Loving You

The Who’s set list was as follows:
I Can’t Explain
The Seeker
Who Are You
The Kids Are Alright
Squeeze Box
I Can See For Miles
My Generation
Behind Blue Eyes
Bargain
Join Together
You Better You Bet
I’m One
Love, Reign O’er Me
Eminence Front
A Quick One (While He’s Away)
Amazing Journey
Sparks
Pinball Wizard
See Me, Feel Me / Listening To You
Baba O’Reilly
Won’t Get Fooled Again

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #870 - May 29th, 2015 at 6:01pm

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #871 - May 29th, 2015 at 6:02pm

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #872 - May 30th, 2015 at 8:32am

Excellent !!!!!!!   ... Thanks Fred   :

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #873 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 4:28pm

<  ------- The Who are saving this Winter for all of the Rescheduled Gigs .  I will be very surprised if Roger's voice makes it through the fall schedule  ( Lots of Dates )    . The Gauntlet has been Thrown Down .

Developing ....................

http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=818498

“The Who Hits 50!” North American tour will now stay on the road through December, thanks to a handful of dates that were postponed because of Roger Daltrey’s swollen vocal cords.

" The band finished the spring leg of its anniversary outing with a May 30 gig in Forest Hills, N.Y. Daltrey and Pete Townshend will be back on the road to kick off the fall portion of the trek Sept. 14 in San Diego.

The Who was forced to call off gigs in Louisville, Ky.; St. Louis and Kansas City, Mo., in May so Daltrey could remain on vocal rest. The shows will now take place Dec. 4 at Louisville’s KFC Yum! Center, Dec. 6 at St. Louis’ Scottrade Center and Dec. 8 at Kansas City’s Sprint Center. 

Two nights of the fall tour have also been moved based on a doctor’s recommendation so Daltrey can have additional time off between gigs for vocal rest. Originally scheduled Sept. 23, The Who’s Oakland, Calif., show at the Oracle Arena is set for Dec. 13. And instead of spending two nights at Toronto’s Air Canada Center in October, the Oct. 21 gig has been rescheduled for Dec. 2.

Here’s the fall itinerary, with the rescheduled dates bolded:

Sept. 14 – San Diego, Calif., Valley View Casino Center 
Sept. 16 – Anaheim, Calif., Honda Center 
Sept. 19 – Las Vegas, Nev., The Colosseum At Caesars Palace
Sept. 21 – Los Angeles, Calif., Staples Center       
Sept. 25 – Portland, Ore., Moda Center      
Sept. 27 – Seattle, Wash., KeyArena At Seattle Center
Sept. 29 – Vancouver, British Columbia, Rogers Arena
Oct. 1 – Calgary, Alberta, Scotiabank Saddledome
Oct. 3 – Edmonton, Alberta, Rexall Place 
Oct. 6 – Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, SaskTel Sports Centre
Oct. 8 – Winnipeg, Manitoba, MTS Centre
Oct. 10 – Minneapolis, Minn., Target Center         
Oct. 13 – Milwaukee, Wis., BMO Harris Bradley Center   
Oct. 15 – Chicago, Ill., United Center       
Oct. 17 – Detroit, Mich., Joe Louis Arena
Oct. 19 – Toronto, Ontario, Air Canada Centre      
Oct. 23 – Pittsburgh, Pa., Consol Energy Center   
Oct. 25 – Newark, N.J., Prudential Center 
Oct. 27 – New York, N.Y., Madison Square Garden Arena
Oct. 29 – Boston, Mass., TD Garden         
Nov. 1 – Washington, D.C., Verizon Center
Nov. 4 – Philadelphia, Pa., Wells Fargo Center
Dec. 2 – Toronto, Ontario, Air Canada Centre       
Dec. 4 – Louisville, Ky., KFC Yum! Center
Dec. 6 – St. Louis, Mo., Scottrade Center
Dec. 8 – Kansas City, Mo., Sprint Center
Dec. 13 – Oakland, Calif., Oracle Arena

Tickets for the rescheduled shows will be honored at the new dates.

Visit TheWho.com for more information. And don’t forget that smoking pot is a no-go at Who shows.   "

« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2015 at 4:33pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Reply #874 - Jun 4th, 2015 at 6:46pm
I can't wait. I'll be at the Portland show.

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 43
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)