Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 43
Send Topic Print
Townshend/Who News (nsc) (Read 313,353 times)
Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Re: Townshend/Who News (nsc)
Reply #25 - Sep 1st, 2009 at 9:35am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
" Where's the GS scooter ? "

left shoe shuffle .........

Look what I just found :

" The Mod(grand)father: Pete Townshend returns to his roots on Fifties scooter at age of 64  "

" He is perhaps the best-known figurehead of the Mod movement in the 1960s.

And it is clear that even in his 64th year, Pete Townshend has not lost his rebellious streak.

The former Who guitarist, once famed for smashing up guitars on stage and hotel rooms off it, is showing his lawlessness in a less extreme fashion nowadays.

Neighbours at his sprawling £15 million mansion on Richmond Hill in Surrey have been surprised to find the rocker eschewing the trappings of fame and fortune to pootle around the town on that most Mod of accessories - a bright red Vespa motorscooter.

Even more surprising to locals has been Townshend's bizarre habit of riding the 50cc bike not, as might be expected, into his garage, but right over the threshold and into the hallway of his home. The curious spectacle was captured by a Mail photographer this week.

As Townshend pulled up outside his house on the Vespa, he simply leaned across to unlock the door, revved the engine up and steamed right on in over the welcome rug.

Who lives in a house like this: Pete simply parks his Vespa inside

Earlier, Townshend, in sunglasses and a bright orange helmet, had left his house on the scooter through the same door before immediately breaking the law and riding 200 meters the wrong way down a one-way street.

What makes the strange parking arrangement even more intriguing is the fact that Townshend keeps a number of exclusive cars - including a blue Ferrari - off-street behind a high wooden gate just a few meters further down the road.

Townshend told the Mail this week that he had so much fun on the 125cc Vespa he uses to get around at his and his girlfriend Rachel Fuller's home in France that he decided to buy one for his English home. 

And of course, the Vespa must bring back golden memories of his Mod heyday when such scooters were iconic symbols of the movement, adorned with mirrors and lights and rode wearing fishtail parkas.

As the guitarist and songwriter for The Who, he wrote more than 100 songs for the band's eleven studio albums, including the rock operas Tommy and Quadrophenia and the singles My Generation and Substitute.

He amassed a £40 million fortune from four decades in the business.

However, Townshend's wife of 40 years, Karen Astley, filed for divorce in April, prompting a fight over his million fortune.

Astley, who had been separated from Townshend for 15 years, hired Fiona Shackleton, the formidable lawyer who represented Sir Paul McCartney in his split from Heather Mills.

Court papers stated Miss Astley found her husband's behaviour 'no longer tolerable'. Whether that included riding motorbikes into the house is not known.

The divorce paves the way for Townshend, 63, to marry girlfriend Miss Fuller, 35.  "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1210279/Pete-Townshend-swaps-rock-s...

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #26 - Sep 1st, 2009 at 9:42am

« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2009 at 9:47am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #27 - Sep 1st, 2009 at 9:56am

This is much cooler ( IMO ) :

... !!!!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #28 - Sep 1st, 2009 at 10:04am

Not even close.
Add two more wheels...

« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2009 at 10:18am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #29 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 2:18pm

Roger Daltrey Promises New Takes on Who Tracks on Fall Solo Tour

9/8/09, 2:57 pm EST

The Who won’t be hitting the road again until next year, but as Rolling Stone reported, Roger Daltrey won’t be staying home during their hiatus. “That’s a long time for me,” says Daltrey, “so I put a little band together. I’m going back to where it all began.” For his first solo shows since 1985, Daltrey and his own band (which includes Simon Townshend, Pete’s brother, on guitar) will be playing theaters in October and November. “Simon’s my mate,” he says. “And like me, he needs to work.”

The set list is still in the works, but Daltrey is promising “different versions of Who songs” — like an acoustic reworking of “Who Are You.” (”Strip away the synthesizers and it’s a blues song,” he says.) He’s also considering rarely performed tracks from Who albums like The Who By Numbers and Face Dances (”I always liked ‘Cache Cache,’ ” he says) as well as select tracks from his own albums, like “Walk on Water” and a few of the Leo Sayer covers from his 1973 album Daltrey.

Fans expecting solo hits like “Avenging Annie” or “After the Fire” may be disappointed: “Some of those might sound dated now,” Daltrey says. But the lineup — and the balance between solo and Who songs — are still in the planning stages. “The show has to be a journey,” he says, laughing. “An enjoyable journey or it could be a bumpy ride!”

When The Who do resume rework next year, Daltrey says he and Townshend are considering playing Tommy or Quadrophenia in full. “I’d like to do a stripped-down show — no staging, no big production, just play the bloody music,” he says. “The music is timeless.” Although Daltrey keeps his voice in shape with vocal warm-ups — and even calls his solo tour Use It Or Lose It — he’s also realistic about his singing future. Of the Quadrophenia songs, he says, “These are the last years of my life that I can sing that material.”

« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2009 at 2:27pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #30 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 2:26pm
"  Although Daltrey keeps his voice in shape with vocal warm-ups — and even calls his solo tour Use It Or Lose It — he’s also realistic about his singing future. Of the Quadrophenia songs, he says, “These are the last years of my life that I can sing that material.  "

Thanks Left Shoe Shuffle !!!!!!

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #31 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 2:34pm

The Quadrophenia material might have already reached it's sell-by date.

According to Roger, 'Sea And Sand' gave him trouble on the last tour...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #32 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 2:49pm
"  'Sea And Sand' gave him trouble on the last tour... "

Sweet Charmed Life did not seem to have a problem with Daltrey singing " Sea and Sand " last tour .  Word

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJACKY CAKES ! ™

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #33 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 2:51pm

'Sea And Sand' was played once - in Boston.

<insert Nokia Theatre image here>
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2009 at 3:12pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #34 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 3:18pm
I sea that Daltry can pound sand as far as this solo tour goes.  Boring post

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #35 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 3:49pm
" I sea that Daltry can pound sand as far as this solo tour goes.  "

... !!!!!

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #36 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 9:20am

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #37 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 9:48am
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/getback/140871/when-singers-cant-sing-their-son...[/url][/url]

" When Singers Can't Sing Their Songs Anymore "

" While The Who is on hiatus, Roger Daltrey is going solo for his "Use It or Lose It" tour starting October 10. "Use It or Lose It" refers to Daltrey's voice, or as bandmate Pete Townshend puts it, "his aging vocal chords." In an interview with Rolling Stone, Daltrey was even more blunt, "These are the last years of my life that I can sing that material," he confessed.
I love The Who. "Quadrophenia" saved my life. Literally saved my life. Daltrey's wail was one of the most gut-wrenching, soul busting sounds in rock.
Was.
I'm sad to say that Daltrey has already lost it. Give the guys props for sticking with it but he ain't the Daltrey of days past. He's old and that youthful wail has turned into a croak. It's painful to hear. It's painful for me to say it out loud. I love the man. I owe him and his bandmates for rescuing my childhood. Still, I can't hide behind the romanticism of my classic rock past.
RELATED GALLERY: See singers who have NEVER been able to sing
The truth is this: singing over-the-top rock is a young man's game. At a certain point, a singer needs to either start making instrumentals or seriously reinvent his style. Sadly, most have trouble shifting gears and insist on singing like a twenty-year-old well into their 60s. Their ears somehow don't hear what the rest of ours hear. Those magic falsettos have crashed to earth.
As evidence, I submit two versions of "Love Reign O'er Me," the epic grand finale from "Quadrophenia." The first is from a 1982 Who concert. It's a tepid performance and Daltrey and Townshend are dressed like understudies for Culture Club. Still, by this point, Daltrey has been singing this song for almost 10 years and his voice is tight and focused.  "

Rubbish !!!!!

Absolute friggin RUBBISH !!!!!

I just viewed the second youtube clip again and Roger sounds majestic !!!!

Does Roger sometimes have an ' off ' night ?!  :

Yes , but Pete MORE than makes up for Rog.'s lack of vocal range these days by playing the friggin HELL out of his guitar . Word .

" Hit Me Ronnie !!!! "

O'kins ! ™

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2009 at 2:21pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

StPeteStone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Madeira Beach, Florida
Reply #38 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 9:49am
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Sep 18th, 2009 at 9:20am:

Pearl Jam's cover of Love Reign O'er Me is very nice.

Now I don't mind choppin' wood, and I don't care if ma money's no good. Ya take what ya need and ya leave the rest, But they should never have taken the very best.
&&...&&...&&...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #39 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 9:50am
" Pearl Jam's cover of Love Reign O'er Me is very nice.  "

Concur .

But Eddie Vedder ain't THE WHO ! 

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #40 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 9:54am
StPeteStone wrote on Sep 18th, 2009 at 9:49am:

Yeah, but Bettye LaVette's kills...
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2009 at 9:56am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

StPeteStone
Rocks Off Regular

Madeira Beach, Florida
Reply #41 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 10:09am
left shoe shuffle wrote on Sep 18th, 2009 at 9:54am:
StPeteStone wrote on Sep 18th, 2009 at 9:49am:

Yeah, but Bettye LaVette's kills...

That was great!

Now I don't mind choppin' wood, and I don't care if ma money's no good. Ya take what ya need and ya leave the rest, But they should never have taken the very best.
&&...&&...&&...

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #42 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 10:42am
Joey wrote on Sep 18th, 2009 at 9:48am:
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/getback/140871/when-singers-cant-sing-their-son...[/url][/url]

" When Singers Can't Sing Their Songs Anymore "

" While The Who is on hiatus, Roger Daltrey is going solo for his "Use It or Lose It" tour starting October 10. "Use It or Lose It" refers to Daltrey's voice, or as bandmate Pete Townshend puts it, "his aging vocal chords." In an interview with Rolling Stone, Daltrey was even more blunt, "These are the last years of my life that I can sing that material," he confessed.
I love The Who. "Quadrophenia" saved my life. Literally saved my life. Daltrey's wail was one of the most gut-wrenching, soul busting sounds in rock.
Was.
I'm sad to say that Daltrey has already lost it. Give the guys props for sticking with it but he ain't the Daltrey of days past. He's old and that youthful wail has turned into a croak. It's painful to hear. It's painful for me to say it out loud. I love the man. I owe him and his bandmates for rescuing my childhood. Still, I can't hide behind the romanticism of my classic rock past.
RELATED GALLERY: See singers who have NEVER been able to sing
The truth is this: singing over-the-top rock is a young man's game. At a certain point, a singer needs to either start making instrumentals or seriously reinvent his style. Sadly, most have trouble shifting gears and insist on singing like a twenty-year-old well into their 60s. Their ears somehow don't hear what the rest of ours hear. Those magic falsettos have crashed to earth.
As evidence, I submit two versions of "Love Reign O'er Me," the epic grand finale from "Quadrophenia." The first is from a 1982 Who concert. It's a tepid performance and Daltrey and Townshend are dressed like understudies for Culture Club. Still, by this point, Daltrey has been singing this song for almost 10 years and his voice is tight and focused.  "

Yes , but Pete MORE than makes up for Rog.'s lack of vocal range these days by playing the friggin HELL out of his guitar . Word .

Joey,Roger Daltry belongs in an old croaks home.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #43 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 10:53am
" ... Roger Daltry belongs in an old croaks home "

S.C.L. ....................

You make Joey weep and shit liquid . WHY ?!

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #44 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 11:00am

Daltry bought a vowel on "Wheel Of Fortune" years ago...
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2009 at 11:01am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #45 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 10:32am
" Yeah, but Bettye LaVette's kills...    "

" It doesn't have any of the volume and orchestration of the original, but does have all the strength and power of Townhend's work. My fave covers include Pearl Jam's (at the Who's Rock Honors concert, not the soundtrack version) and Heart's version in 2008 by Ann & Nancy Wilson.   "

Agree One Hundred Percent !!!!!!!

Roger does the BEST job on all Pete Townshend compositions ( Rog. , John & Keith made those songs come to life )

J'Kins ! ™

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #46 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 11:00am
Joey wrote on Sep 19th, 2009 at 10:32am:
" Yeah, but Bettye LaVette's kills...    "

" It doesn't have any of the volume and orchestration of the original, but does have all the strength and power of Townhend's work. My fave covers include Pearl Jam's (at the Who's Rock Honors concert, not the soundtrack version) and Heart's version in 2008 by Ann & Nancy Wilson.   "

Agree One Hundred Percent !!!!!!!

Roger does the BEST job on all Pete Townshend compositions ( Rog. , John & Keith made those songs come to life )

J'Kins ! ™

Pearl Jam?  Heart?  Joey, are you off your meds?  Much as I love to death John, Keith and Rog as players and singers, Pete needed the Who because he couldn't give a concert by himself.  Lifehouse demos speak for themselves! 

"Not 'was' brilliant. 'Am' brilliant."  - Pete, recently!

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

real wild child
Rocks Off Regular

Mexico City
Reply #47 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 3:16pm
Actually Daltrey can´t sing
They cancelled the show in Mexico 2 years ago because he had laryngitis

So he owes a ticket to me  Ouch!

I don't do as much as everyone thinks but I probably do a bit more than they imagine – Keith Richards, 2006

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #48 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 3:26pm
" So he owes a ticket to me  "

IP Logged

real wild child
Rocks Off Regular

Mexico City
Reply #49 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 3:42pm

Thanks Joey! But I know that wasn´t Pete´s  fault  you made a grown man cry you made a grown man cry you made a grown man cry

" So he owes a ticket to me  "

I don't do as much as everyone thinks but I probably do a bit more than they imagine – Keith Richards, 2006

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 43
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)