Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 
Send Topic Print
Townshend/Who News (nsc) (Read 313,659 times)
Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Re: Townshend/Who News (nsc)
Reply #1050 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 2:16pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Dec 6th, 2019 at 11:26am:
Who by The Who is out now!

https://open.spotify.com/album/2WuaYvGgx9MS1Vj37aBiyU?si=dUQ5HMAiQRynxk4KsBm5TQ

Listening! it's goooooood!

lotsajizz wrote on Dec 6th, 2019 at 12:37pm:
Hey Joey!  I've been listening to new WHO all day!

Better than their last album  ?  I really ENJOYED  ' Wire  & Glass '  .

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/the-who-who-review-919564...

" With a New Self-Titled Album, the Who Have Made Classic Rock Comfort Food . "

" Although it’s been 13 years since their last LP and more than half a century since they formed, Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey still know who they are .
"

" The first Who album in 13 years opens with a perfectly cynical Pete Townshend lyric: “I don’t care/I know you’re gonna hate this song.” But it’s kind of hard to hate something that feels so familiar. Roger Daltrey sings the lyric and the ones that follow, claiming the song isn’t “new” or “diverse,” with the same anger and conviction as the Who’s earliest music, recorded more than half a century ago, and the melody is almost identical to the opening “I don’t mind” of the band’s 1966 single “The Kids Are Alright.” He even takes it a step farther, later in the song, singing, “I don’t mind/Other guys ripping off my song.” But even when Townshend, who wrote the majority of Who hits, is the one ripping himself off, it sounds as authentic as it does ironic.

The fact that the song, and much of the record, feels like Classic Rock Comfort Food may be why the band tiled the album simply Who — their first, official self-titled record (as opposed to The Who Sell Out, Who’s Next, Who Are You and on and on and on). It’s sort of an Abbot and Costello-esque affirmation of their identity. Luckily, Townshend and Daltrey — quite the prickly pair, as their recent Rolling Stone profile showed — can still summon their inner Who-ness in their mid 70s. Even the album cover is an acknowledgement of the record’s innate Who factor; it’s by Peter Blake, who made the Who’s similarly laid-out Face Dances sleeve (as well as Sgt. Pepper’s) and it contains nods to the band’s idols (Chuck Berry and Muhammad Ali) and their past (panels depicting Townshend smashing his guitar, a Union Jack, even Batman and Robin, since they once covered the Adam West Batman theme). It’s a nod to the past but still wholly new.

The Who have only sparingly released new music since the death of drummer Keith Moon in 1978 — Who is only their fourth album since then — but it seems like biding their time has worked in their favor. Despite songs steeped in the band’s once-bragged-about Maximum R&B (witness “Detour,” which could fit on My Generation or Sell Out, and references the band’s “I Can’t Explain”), arena-rock grandeur (“Hero Ground Zero”), and plenty of teenage-wasteland synths (“Street Song,” “I Don’t Wanna Get Wise”), they now have some much-needed perspective. It’s not a rock opera (unlike their previous album, 2006’s Endless Wire, which contained a mini opera) and it’s better for it. Daltrey still has all the tough-guy bravado of his early days, and there is still a dramatic combo of brutality and gentleness throughout Who, but it’s tasteful, and that’s not an easy balance for bands that have been around as long as the Who.

“I Don’t Wanna Get Wise” feels like a distant cousin, once or twice removed, from “My Generation.” For all of the “Hope I die before I get old” arrogance of the band’s breakthrough, Townshend is now writing lyrics about learning lessons from growing old — even if he prefers arrogance. “A snotty young kid was a standing success,” Daltrey sings, “Life teaches us well, but I don’t wanna get ‘wise.'”

At the same time, Townshend has penned a well measured blues song about the horrors of Guantanamo Bay, deceptively titled “Ball and Chain.” “There’s a pretty piece of Cuba, designed to cause men pain,” Daltrey sings amid Townshend’s fluttering guitar lines. And the slow-building “Rockin’ in Rage,” finds Daltrey singing about feeling like a mute if he’s not able to speak his truth, even though he’s getting on in age – “I won’t leave the stage,” he threatens, if he can’t rock in rage. It’s also a song that taps into the tension that’s always simmering below the surface of classic Who songs, but it feels different now. Maybe that has to do with the fact that Daltrey and Townshend didn’t spend any time in the studio together when they made the album, or maybe it’s just something that’s deep within them.

The only missteps are when they venture a little too far from the Who formula. Closing track “She Rocked My World” has a Latin jazz vibe but none of Townshend’s flamenco flourishes and at least one lyric that’s regrettable for any songwriter of any age: “You hear people say, ‘She rocked my world’/But they don’t mean it the way I do.” And “Break the News,” penned by Pete’s brother, Simon, has a sort of Americana vibe more akin to recent pop songs by the Lumineers than the Who.

But when they’re on, they’re really on — and they’ve found a group of pinch-hitter musicians like bassist Pino Palladino, drummers Zak Starkey and Joey Waronker, and keyboardist Benmont Tench that can approximate Moon and late bassist John Entwistle’s contributions. The band may be only half the Who they were when they formed, but Who is worthy of the Who name. Sorry Pete, your fans probably won’t hate these songs. "

« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2019 at 9:12am by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #1051 - Dec 6th, 2019 at 3:32pm
amazon prime delivering tommorow. seriously not even on day of release. moon and i will be listening tommorow gotta make a run to the packy to get more supplies

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #1052 - Dec 10th, 2019 at 6:20pm
Perks quite digs the new Who record.Hope the Stones new record is as good, if it ever is released.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #1053 - Dec 11th, 2019 at 1:30pm
The Who announced overnight that they are playing an all-acoustic club show in Kingston-upon-Thames

To celebrate the release of 'WHO' – The Who's 'best album since 1975….' The Who announce they will play their smallest live show in over 40 years!

The date is set to mark 50 years to the day of their historic Live at Leeds show – 14 Feb 2020. This is a never to be repeated intimate acoustic show at Pryzm, Kingston, UK.

The 500 tickets went on sale this morning and were gone in seconds.  Sad

An early show was added later and sold out in seconds as well. Didnt know about it until after it was gone...didnt see any advance announcement.

Not surprising considering the prices. £13. One ticket per person for the 100 tickets at that price.

There were four other categories which involved buying a ticket plus the new album in various formats with 100 tickets available in each category in which you could buy up to four tickets. The highest price per package was £30.

https://www.banquetrecords.com/the-who/pryzm%2C-early-show/OHWextra140220

I call that a bargain!

« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2019 at 2:07pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #1054 - Dec 11th, 2019 at 6:31pm
JOEY ?...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #1055 - Dec 11th, 2019 at 6:50pm
Two more shows at Pryzm added for Wednesday 12th february

On sale tomorrow at 11 am.

https://www.banquetrecords.com/search?a=The+Who

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Maxmeister
Rocks Off Regular

Locked, cocked and ready
to rock!

Reply #1056 - Dec 11th, 2019 at 7:59pm
Gazza wrote on Dec 11th, 2019 at 1:30pm:
The Who announced overnight that they are playing an all-acoustic club show in Kingston-upon-Thames

To celebrate the release of 'WHO' – The Who's 'best album since 1975….' The Who announce they will play their smallest live show in over 40 years!

The date is set to mark 50 years to the day of their historic Live at Leeds show – 14 Feb 2020. This is a never to be repeated intimate acoustic show at Pryzm, Kingston, UK.

The 500 tickets went on sale this morning and were gone in seconds.  Sad

An early show was added later and sold out in seconds as well. Didnt know about it until after it was gone...didnt see any advance announcement.

Not surprising considering the prices. £13. One ticket per person for the 100 tickets at that price.

There were four other categories which involved buying a ticket plus the new album in various formats with 100 tickets available in each category in which you could buy up to four tickets. The highest price per package was £30.

https://www.banquetrecords.com/the-who/pryzm%2C-early-show/OHWextra140220

I call that a bargain!

The best I ever had.

Sorry, in a weird mood this evening. I just had to do it.

Rick

Always rocking and rolling.

Always know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #1057 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 3:42pm

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

CS
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Hell
Reply #1058 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 2:43pm
Live debut of two songs by "The Two" “She Rocked My World” and “Break The News.”

IP Logged

CS
Rocks Off Regular

Hell
Reply #1059 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 2:44pm

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #1060 - Feb 15th, 2020 at 3:51pm
CS wrote on Feb 14th, 2020 at 2:44pm:

LOL, love it, Roger reading the lyrics and fucking it up, this is Rock at 76

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #1061 - Feb 15th, 2020 at 7:07pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Feb 15th, 2020 at 3:51pm:
CS wrote on Feb 14th, 2020 at 2:44pm:

LOL, love it, Roger reading the lyrics and fucking it up, this is Rock at 76

they should should release a complete 76 show

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #1062 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 11:07am

https://www.thewho.com/the-who-postpone-their-uk-ireland-tour/

" After serious consideration, it is with much regret that THE WHO have postponed their UK and Ireland tour, due to start next Monday March 16th in Manchester at the Manchester Arena and finishing at Wembley SSE Arena on April 8th. The fans’ safety is paramount and given the developing Coronavirus situation, the band felt that they had no option but to postpone the shows.

The dates will be rescheduled for later in the year. All tickets will be honoured.

Singer Roger Daltrey assures fans that the shows will “definitely happen and it may be the last time we do a tour of this type, so keep those tickets, as the shows will be fantastic.”

Pete Townshend said the band, ”haven’t reached this decision easily, but given the concerns about public gatherings, we couldn’t go ahead.” He added that “if one fan caught Coronavirus at a WHO concert it would be one too many.”

Unfortunately, THE WHO will also be unable to appear at the Royal Albert Hall on March 28th as part of the annual Teenage Cancer Trust shows, but intend to reschedule that show also, with more news to follow. "

The postponed shows are:

March 16 – Manchester Arena
March 18 – Dublin 3 Arena
March 21 – Newcastle Metro Radio Arena
March 23 – Glasgow SSE Hydro Arena
March 25 – Leeds First Direct Arena
March 28 – London Royal Albert Hall (Teenage Cancer Trust show)
March 30 – Cardiff Motorpoint Arena
April 1 – Birmingham Resorts World Arena
April 3 – Nottingham Motorpoint Arena
April 6 – Liverpool M&S Bank Arena
April 8 – London SSE Wembley Arena

« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2020 at 11:10am by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #1063 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 4:14pm

https://www.thewho.com/the-who-announce-rescheduled-uk-and-ireland-tour-dates/

" THE WHO ANNOUNCE RESCHEDULED UK AND IRELAND TOUR DATES .  "

" THE WHO are pleased to announce they have rescheduled their UK and Ireland tour dates for March 2021.

The band wish to thank the fans for their patience and support.

Roger Daltrey assured fans last week that the shows “Maybe the last time we do a tour of this type, so keep those tickets, as the shows will be fantastic”.

All tickets for the original dates remain valid.

THE WHO MARCH 2021

Friday 5 March 3 Arena, Dublin
Monday 8 March M&S Bank, Liverpool
Wednesday 10 March SSE Hydro, Glasgow
Friday 12 March Utilita Arena, Newcastle
Monday 15 March First Direct Arena, Leeds
Wednesday 17 March Resorts World Arena, Birmingham
Monday 22 March SSE Arena, Wembley
Wednesday 24 March Motorpoint Arena, Nottingham
Saturday 27 March Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff
Monday 29 March Manchester Arena, Manchester

The Who’s appearance on 28 March 2020 at the Royal Albert Hall in aid of the Teenage Cancer Trust has yet, along with all other TCT concert dates, to be rescheduled. We shall post that information here as soon as Teenage Cancer Trust have rescheduled. "

Quarantined at Home With Keith Moon   ..........    That's Right !!!!!!!   .......   We Booze !!!!!!!!!!!!      ***   " I LOVE YOU ALL !!!!!!!!  "  ***       J.  " Snuggles "  Fly ®  :

« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2020 at 4:43pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #1064 - Jul 1st, 2021 at 8:44pm
Lick the image to listen!

54 years ago today! A gesture of support after Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were jailed on drug charges © The Who

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #1065 - Jul 13th, 2021 at 9:25pm
I'm so pissed! Roger was going to do an AMericam tour in August with the Who touring band. Had tix. Then he had to cancel when the ravel bewteen the UK and US became too difficult.  Waka Jawaka Oh no! not you again

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

CS
Rocks Off Regular

Hell
Reply #1066 - Jul 14th, 2021 at 9:27pm
Great pix here

EXCLUSIVE: Never-before-seen images of iconic band The Who on the 50th anniversary of their launch party for their famous fifth album Who's Next
On July 15, 1971, The Who had a launch party for what was then their upcoming fifth album called Who's Next
The bash was held at drummer Keith Moon's futuristic pyramidal house, which rock n' roll photographer Alec Byrne said looked 'like someone's James Bond lair,' about an hour outside of London
The photographer took several images of the famous quartet - Roger Daltrey, Pete Townshend, John Entwistle and Moon - at the party, which reportedly later included elaborate fireworks, George Harrison and police
By DUSICA SUE MALESEVIC FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 17:55 EDT, 13 July 2021 | UPDATED: 12:38 EDT, 14 July 2021

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9773465/Unseen-photographs-Roger-Daltre...

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #1067 - Feb 7th, 2022 at 9:19pm
The Who Hits Back!
The 2022 North American Tour
The Who are hitting the road again on a 28-date North American tour, kicking off the first leg in Fort Lauderdale, Florida on 22 April and running through to 28 May.

After a summer hiatus, The Who Hits Back! tour resumes with the second leg from 2 October to 5 November. The Who will be accompanied by an orchestra on all these dates and we look forward to seeing you at these great venues!

22-Apr      Hard Rock      Ft. Lauderdale, FL
24-Apr      Vystar Veterans Memorial Arena      Jacksonville, FL
30-Apr      New Orleans Jazz Festival      New Orleans, LA
03-May      Moody Center      Austin, TX
05-May      American Airlines Center      Dallas, TX
08-May      Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion      The Woodlands, TX
10-May      Paycom Center      Oklahoma, OK
13-May      Fedex Forum      Memphis, TN
15-May      TQL Stadium      Cincinnati, OH
18-May      TD Garden      Boston, MA
20-May      Wells Fargo Center      Philadelphia, PA
23-May      Capital One Arena      Washington, D.C
26-May      Madison Square Garden      New York City, NY
28-May      Bethel Woods      Bethel, NY
02-Oct      Scotiabank Arena      Toronto, ON
04-Oct      Little Caesars Arena      Detroit, MI
07-Oct      UBS Arena      Elmont, NY
09-Oct      Schottenstein      Columbus, OH
12-Oct      United Center      Chicago, IL
14-Oct      Enterprise Center      St. Louis, MO
18-Oct      Ball Arena      Denver, CO
21-Oct      Golden 1 Center      Sacramento, CA
23-Oct      Climate Pledge Arena      Seattle, WA
26-Oct      Moda Center      Portland, OR
28-Oct      Honda Center      Anaheim, CA
01-Nov      Hollywood Bowl      Los Angeles, CA
04-Nov      The Park      Las Vegas, NV
05-Nov      The Park      Las Vegas, NV
Tickets go on-sale Friday 11th February
at 10:00am local time

And don’t forget – Official Who Fan Club members get ticket access 48 hours before general on-sale. Join today to secure

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #1068 - Sep 15th, 2023 at 11:35am

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)