Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Happy Birthday Charlie! (Read 3,964 times)
Strange Skies
Rocks Off Regular

Let's do some living after
we die

Austria
Happy Birthday Charlie!
Jun 1st, 2009 at 5:37pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Mr. Wang Dang Doodle: Charlie Watts!!!!!

really?

SmileyCharlie, I would like to wish you an absolutely fabulous Happy Birthday!!

68 years, I can't believe it! And your still out there kickin' and keeping up the beat!

Have a wonderful celebration today and may the coming year be a great one and may you always be healthy.
Let's go get drunk Here's to many, many, many more days like this!  We love ya!
All the best!  Wink

...&&&&
IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: Happy Birthday Charlie!
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2009 at 5:43pm
my favorite Stone!

Charlie Watts is God

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF4xag2kH8E

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2009 at 5:55pm
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! CHARLIE. Smiley piss off

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2009 at 5:58pm
Woody & Charlie have their Birthday on the same day? that must have been a celebration if it happened when they were touring.

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

platter
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2009 at 6:01pm
happy birthday charlie watts.

really?

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2009 at 6:03pm
happy birthday to everyone ever born...and Charlie Watts Fuck you Gazza, Will ya? piss off

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2009 at 6:47pm
I think Charlie's birthday is tomorrow....but it's tomorrow already somewhere, so..... Wink

A VERY happy birthday to premier drummer and all around "cool guy" Charlie Watts! On June 2, that is... Grin

Keep on rockin'! We love you.....Smiley

Grin Smiley Smiley

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #7 - Jun 1st, 2009 at 7:52pm
"If It Ain't Got That Swing"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1_6z9oqet8  really?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #8 - Jun 1st, 2009 at 10:55pm
have a wonderful birthday chuck!!!!

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #9 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 12:46am
Happy Birthday!  Smiley piss off really? Shit! you made a grown man cry

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #10 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 5:28am
HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHARLIE!!!!

Simply, The Best!!!!
Wishing you happiness, good health and a wonderful Birthday!
God Bless You!

LJ.

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #11 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 6:49am
Happy Birthday to Charlie Watts  a truly Great Drummer.

20060408_a3.jpg (139 KB | )
20060408_a3.jpg

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Lazy Bones
Rocks Off Regular

Canada
Reply #12 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 7:42am
Warmest birthday greetings, Sir Charles!

IP Logged

Irina
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #13 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 8:52am

Happy Birthday Charlie Smiley

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #14 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 9:46am
Hi Charlie.  Happy Birthday from Charlie Parker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qEBDR5KG-8

Remember to keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your feet on the ground, your eye on the ball, your ear to the ground, your finger on the pulse, your head on your shoulders, the pedal to the metal, a song in your heart, your hand on the helm and the bull by the horns

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #15 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 11:26am
Happy Happy Birthday Charlie !!!!!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #16 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 11:41am

Remember to keep your nose to the grindstone, your shoulder to the wheel, your feet on the ground, your eye on the ball, your ear to the ground, your finger on the pulse, your head on your shoulders, the pedal to the metal, a song in your heart, your hand on the helm and the bull by the horns

IP Logged

Lazy Bones
Rocks Off Regular

Canada
Reply #17 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 12:19pm
Happy Birthday Charlie Watts!
By Craig Hlavaty in Classic Rock Corner, Miles-tones
Tuesday, Jun. 2 2009 @ 11:20AM

Charlie Watts, drummer of the Rolling Stones, turns 68 years young today. The "Wembley Whammer" has been drumming for the Stones since 1962, when he was recruited from his day job at a London advertising firm to play for a group of nicotine-stained, drunken, blues-obsessed teenagers.

Watts doesn't get much credit for how cool he actually is, considering he is in a band with a gaggle of miscreants and drug addicts. One can always count on Watts to be the sober, short-haired one in the background, maintaining some amount of decorum throughout the debauchery. After all, he is the oldest active Stone, since former member Bill Wyman left in the mid-'90s.

Aside from his duties with the Stones, Watts is a much respected jazz drummer, going on numerous tours over the years and recording with scene greats. The vegetarian drummer also has helped Mick Jagger design some of the band's stage shows. You could blame him or praise him for the monstrous "Steel Wheels" set-up in 1989.

1964-charlie-watts.jpg
morethings.com
Along the way, Watts is said to have been intensely devoted to his wife Shirley. In the midst of the Stones' heyday of sex and drugs, the drummer routinely turned down the sexual advances of various groupies and hangers-on that littered the backstages, planes and hotels the band occupied. He did take his turn at booze and drug-addiction during a mid-life crisis in the '80s, but he soon snapped out of it. Watts and his wife will celebrate their 45th anniversary this year.

There's a hilarious tour story that dates back to the '80s. It is said that a drunken Jagger rung up Watts, who was staying in an adjacent hotel room, asking for "his drummer." Watts proceeded to get out of bed, shave, shine his shoes, put on his best three-piece suit, and make his way to Jagger's room. At the doorway, Watts smashed Jagger in the face with his fist, declaring "Don't ever call me your drummer again. You're my fucking singer!"

Any man who could punch Jagger in the face with impunity is all right in Rocks Off's book.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2009/06/happy_birthday_charlie_watts.php

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #18 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 12:43pm
HAPPY BIRTHDAY C-MAN!!!

IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Reply #19 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 12:50pm
Happy Birthday Charlie!

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #20 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 3:42pm
Happy 68th Sir!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #21 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 3:44pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Jun 2nd, 2009 at 12:43pm:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY C-MAN!!!

Great work! Nice piece of art/cartoon... Who is the author? Is Tim Cook?  I wanna use it as a third header today!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Tumbled
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #22 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 4:14pm
Charlie!
Charlie!
Charlie!
Charlie!
Charlie!
Charlie!
Charlie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3FUA0Hj7fI

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #23 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 6:06pm
Happy Birthday Charlie Watts (Chawlie)!
by greggp

Tue Jun 02, 2009 at 06:55:02 AM PDT

This is the second in my series of diaries about some of the influential drummers of the modern jazz and rock 'n' roll era, which will appear on the anniversary of their births. You may have seen my diary on John Bonham from last Sunday. If not, here it is: Happy Birthday Bonzo I also did a diary on the last year's anniversary of his death, but I decided I would rather focus on the positive.

Today it's Charlie Watts, drummer for the Rolling Stones, born on June 2, 1941. And, don't worry, there will be a cooking tip later.

greggp's diary :: ::
If you're a fan of the movie Pulp Fiction, you probably remember the scene where Mia Wallace asks Vinnie Vega whether he's a Beatles or an Elvis man (she declares him an Elvis man). I would have to say that I guess I'm an Elvis man by default, because I'm of the age when it really wasn't the choice: to me, you were either a Beatles man or a Stones man.

Elvis was o.k., but I really became aware of him after he was in the Army, and when he got out, his music had gone in a generally less rockin' direction (with the notable exception of my very favorite Elvis song, "Little Sister". I was much more into the jazz of Dave Brubeck and John Coltrane, and I really liked Buddy Rich's work with the small combo on "Super Rich." So when the Beatles hit the U.S., it sort of passed me by; I really didn't "get" them. But then, my sister, who was at U.C. Riverside, told me about another band she had recently seen at a concert in San Bernardino called the Rolling Stones (which I have subsequently learned was their first U.S. appearance anywhere - how lucky was she?). She even bought me their first U.S. release, "England's Newest Hit Makers."

Quite suddenly, I "got" rock 'n' roll, and a lot of what I "got" was the groove of the drummer, Charlie Watts. That guy didn't do a lot of flashy stuff, but that beat he laid down was just different. I liked every moment of the record, but I would say there are two particular songs that really spoke to me: "(Get Your Kicks on) Route 66" and "Walkin the Dog."

It isn't like I hadn't heard those songs before. I was a Nat King Cole junkie from the first moment my mom played the old Trio 78s, and I thought Rufus Thomas was kinda cool too. But the Stones version of Route 66 was not the song I knew, and Walkin' the Dog suddenly lost that "cute, funny" factor when the Stones played it.

Those songs have pretty much the same basic "boogie" 4-beat that you can trace back to Gene Krupa's "Drum Boogie" (it's too late to do Gene this year, and he just happens to share the day with MLK Jr., so he may get lost on the diary list), and Don Raye's "Down the Road Apiece (incidentally another song the Stones covered). That beat was still just a little syncopated when Gene played it, and throughout the 50s, that beat slowly lost that syncopation. For example, you can still hear a little of it on Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode," Chuck is playing very straight, while the drummer has still got that "hitch" in the beat. Then a little later, Eddie Cochran's "Something Else" has almost lost the hitch completely, and it's pretty much gone from "At the Hop" by Danny and the Juniors.

By the time the Beatles played a 4 beat, the rock beat had lost that syncopation, perhaps helped along by MORE COWBELL - just listen to "You Can't Do That"; that song is driven by a relentless cowbell pounding on 1 and 3.

The difference in beats really began to come down to the bass drum pattern. In the big band dance music, the rule was "4 on the floor," but the bass was never really out front unless there was a drum solo. In fact, there's an old Ozzie and Harriet episode where Ozzie is coaching Ricky about playing with a big band, and he says "now don't play the bass drum too loud or the beat will be mushy," and for that kind of music, Ozzie was right.

The be-bop era got away from the bass drum, and focused more on the hi-hat as timekeeper. Rock and roll drumming brought the bass drum back, but in a different way ("I'll give it an 80 Dick; you can dance to it".

The plain vanilla 4-beat rock pattern is bass on 1 and 3, closed hi-hat cymbals playing straight eighth notes, and the snare on 2 and 4. In the early 60s, the "discotheque" beat became popular, where the bass plays 1, and then an accent note on the and of 2 (BOOM, CRACK, boom-BOOM, CRACK), think "Rag Doll" by the 4 Seasons, for example.

Ringo changed that beat to an accent after the bass on 3 (BOOM, CRACK, BOOM-boom, CRACK), such as on "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band."

Charlie Watts combined those beats into a discotheque-style accented 1, and a Ringo 3, such as on "Honky Tonk Women." And, he did it in such a calm, understated way, that you hardly noticed.

I noticed, though. Charlie put down a groove on Route 66 that just drove the band from that first ruff on the snare drum to that last cymbal crash. And then, there's Walkin the Dog. That was the song that really did it for me. The beat just glides along, and when Charlie moves from the hi-hat to the ride cymbal on the guitar solo, it hovers, and just when you think it can't get any better, he slips right back to the hi-hat, as Mick Jagger comes in on that last verse. I know it seems like nothing now, but compared to that sloshy, half-open hi-hat pounding Ringo was doing, it was night and day to me.

I'll admit it wasn't all that smooth; I'd say "Honest I Do" was not his best work (although to be fair, it's hard to play a slow, Jimmy Reed style, country-blues shuffle without rushing or dragging) and I've never been that crazy about "Start Me Up," but overall, Charlie has just improved on that beat, even in spite of those awful 70s recording techniques that made everyone's drums (except Bonzo's) sound like phone books falling into a giant vat of oatmeal. Just when I thought he was done, Charlie put down that infectious beat on "Slave."

Like Bonzo, Charlie plays THE rock and roll snare drum. That's the good old Ludwig Supra-Phonic model 402, with the seamless spun aluminum 6-1/2"x14" shell, and the chrome plating that should never have been put on in the first place. Those of you who know something about metal probably know that it's a terrible idea to chrome plate aluminum, and even if it's done perfectly, the chrome will probably "pit" and flake off. It doesn't matter: no one can see it behind the other drums anyway, and it's the sound that matters. I have one, and I just decided to have the chrome stripped off. I don't miss it.

And then there are rest of the drums, from the beautiful Sky Blue Pearl Ludwigs in the early years (I understand he stripped off the finish in about 1968), to the black Gretsches, to the natural finish 57 Gretsch drums with the rather poor natural refinish, it's nice to see someone who knows what he wants, and sticks with it. Charlie could have any brand of drum or cymbal he wants, yet he just keeps on playing 50-year-old drums he bought.

I think it's in character with another notable thing about Charlie - he's loyal to his drums, and he's been married for 45 years, to the same woman. Which other internationally famous rock and roll star can say that? Charlie would never make it as a Republican political candidate.

Now for a cooking tip. Here's an INSANE way to broil a steak without a broiler.

Heat your oven to its highest setting (550) for about 30 minutes, until the oven is blazing.
Put a cast iron skillet on the stove at the highest setting, until the seasoning in the skillet begins to smoke.
Throw a nice ribeye or New York steak, seasoned as you like it (don't waste your money on sirloin) on for about 1 minute a side.
Immediately move the whole skillet onto the top rack of the oven and close it quickly.
Cook for 4-5 minutes, then quickly open the oven, flip the steak, close the oven and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
Eat.
This process will likely fill your kitchen with a heavy steak-scented fog that will drive every pootie and woozle in the area crazy. I also suggest you use a splatter screen on the skillet for the whole process (take it along from the stove top to the oven) or your whole kitchen will be a grease-splattered mess (but it makes selling your spouse ont the idea of a big gas grill for the backyard much easier). Did I mention this is INSANE? Well, this IS a diary about a drummer by a drummer.

Happy Birthday Charlie Watts. "Chawlie's doin' all right tonight, innhe?"

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/6/2/737884/-Happy-Birthday-Charlie-Watts-...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #24 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 7:12pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Jun 2nd, 2009 at 12:43pm:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY C-MAN!!!

That is SWEET!! Thanks for posting this... Grin

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)