Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Stones "to tour US later this year"- Daily Express (Read 42,942 times)
ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: Stones "to tour US later this year"- Daily Exp
Reply #50 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 4:59pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Joey wrote on Feb 5th, 2009 at 4:24pm:
" Yes, I did. He's the other tour this year besides U2, who I actually like. "

What about Paul McCartney's upcoming world tour ?!

This tour has been "upcoming" for 2 years now. When is going to happen?

Well?

"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest.&&&&http://www.soundcloud.com/thesameoldsauce
TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #51 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 6:01pm

Well ?!

www.MACCAREPORT.com

it ain't bringing JB back..........

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 8:42pm
" Yes, I did. He's the other tour this year besides U2, who I actually like. "

Well ?!

www.MACCAREPORT.com

Sorry, I'd rather have hernia surgery again than see either the "boss" or Macca.

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 9:09pm
Not anymore!

IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #54 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 9:18pm
Joey wrote on Feb 5th, 2009 at 9:16pm:
" Not anymore "

*** SIGH !!!! ***

www.MACCAREPORT.com

The best big event this year is the Jesus Lizard reunion but I am not letting myself get excited in case it doesn't play here, they are only doing about 30 shows.

"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest.&&&&http://www.soundcloud.com/thesameoldsauce
TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #55 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 4:55am
The most logical thing would be for them to say, yes, this is the last time.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #56 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 11:20am
Logically, it need not be said. We all know it'll be the last time. Let's not kid ourselves.

IP Logged

Saint Sway
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #57 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 2:16pm
Get the tarps ready Ronnie!!!!!

"On saturday night we dont go home&&We bacchanal, there aint no dawn"&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #58 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 2:22pm
Not if it's the last time. Ain't no real fans staying home this time unless their oxygen tanks are too heavy.

IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #59 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 2:34pm
Quote:
Not if it's the last time. Ain't no real fans staying home this time unless their oxygen tanks are too heavy.

10% unemployment in California, 7.5% nationwide and growing. "Real fans" might have nothing to do with it when you know they aren't lowering their prices. Everyone has had plenty of time to say their farewells since they have been touring more than ever the last decade or so.

Besides, in 1997 Keith said it was the last one before the next 5. That means we get one more after the next one.

TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #60 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 2:36pm
In 2010 they'll turn 67. If they tour after that, I'll buy your bus ticket to the Hollywood Bowl. Deal?

IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #61 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 2:45pm
Quote:
In 2010 they'll turn 67. If they tour after that, I'll buy your bus ticket to the Hollywood Bowl. Deal?

You only need Mick and Keith to call it the Stones, regardless of the opinions of the fans. If they are alive and can still perform, even marginally, you have a tour.

If this tour happens, I am not even sure it will be full scale as I thought they needed to do a new album for Universal too. If that's the case, you have a short cash grab No Security type tour with an album/tour a year or so later.

TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 2:49pm
Possible but not likely.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #63 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 3:14pm
ijwthstd wrote on Feb 6th, 2009 at 2:45pm:
Quote:

You only need Mick and Keith to call it the Stones, regardless of the opinions of the fans. If they are alive and can still perform, even marginally, you have a tour.

If this tour happens, I am not even sure it will be full scale as I thought they needed to do a new album for Universal too. If that's the case, you have a short cash grab No Security type tour with an album/tour a year or so later.

I agree. No way will there be a new Stones studio album released in 2009 in time for a tour.

If they do go on the road - and I seriously doubt they will, THIS year anyway - it'll be a quick one. There's no need for them to do so, no new product to promote and the market is likely to still be pretty weak at least into 2010.

Will they bother rehearsing for a month or more just to go on the road for 6-7 weeks and do 20 shows?

Cant see it. They're going to be breaking the habits of a lifetime to do anything like that.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #64 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 4:52am
Gazza Wrote:

"I agree. No way will there be a new Stones studio album released in 2009 in time for a tour."

Gazza. Why do you feel this way? I thought we agreed you were going to stop being 100% pessimistic as far as your outlook on future Stones activity for your New Years Resolution Smiley. Ok on a more serious note, ...We have absolutely no idea what they have going, or may have in previous material to form a base for an album?

I seriously can't see them touring without an album. Universal surely won't go for that concept and I think they'd put enormous pressure on them to make an album if they planned on touring (not that enormous pressure from any lable would totally matter to a group of their stature but still that may be a "no-no" move for them if they were to push for that concept right now) . Sure, we do not know "exactly" what that contract states ...however, it is more than logical to think that Universal surely wouldn't go for a tour starting in 2009 with no new album. Remember that was a major part of the deals purpose in the first place... =new album/albums

If they did not put out an album, they wouldn't even get started on a new record until some time in 2010! I am sure this would never fly with Universal. Besides ...I think they certainly WANT to record an album. Otherwise why would they sign an entire new record deal with a new album in that contract righty right?

They certainly didn't NEED a "new album clause" in a Stones record deal ...geez they have loads of other ones to offer as a lable's selling inventory.

The answer is simple: They want to record a new one. They certainly aren't in any sort of financial hard spot forcing them to do such.

If they tour, they'll record an album for it. It only makes sense.

Ian

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #65 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 5:35am
Ian Billen wrote on Feb 7th, 2009 at 4:52am:
Gazza Wrote:

"I agree. No way will there be a new Stones studio album released in 2009 in time for a tour."

Gazza. Why do you feel this way? I thought we agreed you were going to stop being 100% pessimistic as far as your outlook on future Stones activity for your New Years Resolution Smiley. Ok on a more serious note, ...We have absolutely no idea what they have going, or may have in previous material to form a base for an album?

I seriously can't see them touring without an album. Universal surely won't go for that concept and I think they'd put enormous pressure on them to make an album if they planned on touring (not that enormous pressure from any lable would totally matter to a group of their stature but still that may be a "no-no" move for them if they were to push for that concept right now) . Sure, we do not know "exactly" what that contract states ...however, it is more than logical to think that Universal surely wouldn't go for a tour starting in 2009 with no new album. Remember that was a major part of the deals purpose in the first place... =new album/albums

If they did not put out an album, they wouldn't even get started on a new record until some time in 2010! I am sure this would never fly with Universal. Besides ...I think they certainly WANT to record an album. Otherwise why would they sign an entire new record deal with a new album in that contract righty right?

They certainly didn't NEED a "new album clause" in a Stones record deal ...geez they have loads of other ones to offer as a lable's selling inventory.

The answer is simple: They want to record a new one. They certainly aren't in any sort of financial hard spot forcing them to do such.

If they tour, they'll record an album for it. It only makes sense.

Ian

Your last line answers the question you asked of me.  Its now February 7th.

Record a new album in time for a tour to start by, say, Sept-Oct 2009?

Not a prayer.

Agree with you about the Universal thing. They very well might make a record sometime this year, but I cant see them releasing one AND touring behind it in 2009.
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2009 at 5:37am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #66 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 2:02pm
Gazza wrote on Feb 6th, 2009 at 3:14pm:
Quote:

I agree. No way will there be a new Stones studio album released in 2009 in time for a tour.

If they do go on the road - and I seriously doubt they will, THIS year anyway - it'll be a quick one. There's no need for them to do so, no new product to promote and the market is likely to still be pretty weak at least into 2010.

Will they bother rehearsing for a month or more just to go on the road for 6-7 weeks and do 20 shows?

Cant see it. They're going to be breaking the habits of a lifetime to do anything like that.

They can put a show together in 2 weeks. If it's arena only, less production preparation too. Live Nation has been bribing bands right back out on the road when previous plans called for an album first - Fleetwood Mac, No Doubt and possibly Aerosmith.

There are 2 sides of the coin, the economy may be bad but also maybe some bands are seeing the urgency to tour now while there is still some money to be made.

TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #67 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 2:06pm
The economy will be back on track by next spring, maybe a bit later if this stimulus package actually takes effect. The Stones are meeting in March, they can record over the summer & mix in the fall (if they still indeed MIX!) & then gear up a tour for the Spring of next year. Don't forget they use the U2 crew & U2 is touring soon.

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #68 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 2:48pm
Quote:

No Charlie.
No Stones.

You'll NEVER see a Jagger/Richards Tour ala Page/Plant.
EVER

LJ.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #69 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 2:57pm
As I recall the ABB album was recorded in a few weeks time at MICK's place in France, just MICK & KEEF putting the songs together. Then the studio mixes took a few months and the whole deal was done in much less than a year's time, so in 6 months or so there could be a new, completed album project, IF they put their effort into it. And some people will say ABB aint worth shit, and sounds like it was thrown together, but it's decent enough with 6 or 7 songs which I feel are Stones-worthy:
1. Laugh I Nearly Died
2. Back of My Hand
3. Oh No Not You Again
4. Rough Justice
5. This Place is Empty
6. Infamy
7. Streets Of Love

And so my point is, IT IS POSSIBLE for a tour starting at the end of 09!

IP Logged

jostorm
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #70 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 3:02pm
Of course they will tour in 2009 to help Ronnie in his self-inflicted financial crisis !!!!

What they omitted to say is that they will tour only private clubs for the likes of Deutsche Bank and other not-so-ailing financial establishments....

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #71 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 3:16pm
LadyJane wrote on Feb 7th, 2009 at 2:48pm:
Quote:

No Charlie.
No Stones.

You'll NEVER see a Jagger/Richards Tour ala Page/Plant.
EVER

LJ.

You got it! They pull that shit, I ain't going!

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #72 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 4:55pm
Gazza Wrote:

"Your last line answers the question you asked of me.  Its now February 7th.

Record a new album in time for a tour to start by, say, Sept-Oct 2009?

Not a prayer. "

Actually I think an arena tour would make the most sense right now. Possibly a tour that would start in Oct-Nov. Stadiums are a bit of a stretch right now, due to the economy, especially with other main acts touring.

-Again, I am just looking at what they have "said" recently (both Keith and Ronnie about recording).

-The record deal.

-And the fact that it is now four years since their last album and they are not exactly getting any younger. Universal wouldn't be keen at all on this concept of starting to record, then a tour without a finished product to release in which a tour would help sell it.. I can't see them touring again without new material.

*Really, starting to record, then breaking to tour, then recording after makes not a whole lot of sense to a band in their circumstance. I am not seeing it.

Given the circumstances ....If they already started (which they very well could of) there would be no problem in getting an album out for a tour in the late fall if they got down to work.  That is 10 months from now. They could already have several songs written or ready to be worked on as we speak.

I am not being too gung-ho about it. I am simply saying given the circumstances, a few reports, and their recent comments you can't rule out an album in the late fall with a tour. In fact, I'd go as far to  say it is very much more probable, and all the more likely they'll tour behind a new release versus touring without one. I don't see why in 10 or 11 months they couldn't have something ready (especially if they have some songs written already). They really only need four or five weeks to rehearse for a tour. I think they only had enough time for three weeks worth of rehearsals for the B2B tour? ...Am I correct on the previous statement? .... (which was rather short and pressing....but still four or five weeks should do).

*By the way ...why am I getting extreme Deja Vu right about now ..

Ian
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2009 at 5:07pm by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #73 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 5:37pm
Bitch wrote on Feb 7th, 2009 at 2:57pm:
As I recall the ABB album was recorded in a few weeks time at MICK's place in France, just MICK & KEEF putting the songs together. Then the studio mixes took a few months and the whole deal was done in much less than a year's time, so in 6 months or so there could be a new, completed album project, IF they put their effort into it.

they started it just after Charlie's cancer diagnosis - late summer 2004. They recorded in dribs and drabs after that and were still recording in spring 2005 (Ronnie added his parts around the week that he played his solo show at Drury Lane - mid March 2005)

However, and this partly is a response to what Ian says above - we KNEW a new record was in the works as far back as autumn 2004. The tour wasnt announced until 10 May 2005 and began in late August 2005. So there was actually a full year between it being known they were going to make a record and a tour starting.

Every time the Stones have toured behind a new * album for as long as I can remember - whilst we maybe only got a few months notice of a tour, it was common knowledge for a few months before any announcement that they were going to make a record. Even BTB, while they didnt record it until spring 1997, it was common knowledge that Mick and Keith had been working on songs in late 1996.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest that any work has been undertaken with a view to a new record being made.

* I exclude the Licks tour from that because they didnt make a new album - prior to them announcing the tour on May 7 2002, whilst we knew a tour was on the cards, there was no definite word on a new release, so there was a bit of confusion about whether there would be a new album (there had been no indication to suggest they'd been recording) or whether they would be touring behind a boxed set of unreleased material. The deal between Universal and ABKCO to issue '40 Licks' was only finalised a day or two before the press conference, which was when they confirmed that they would release it - at that point, the compilation didnt have a name and they said that they would record some new songs for it as well, which were then recorded later that month.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #74 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 5:50pm
Ian Billen wrote on Feb 7th, 2009 at 4:55pm:
I am not being too gung-ho about it. [bI am simply saying given the circumstances, a few reports, and their recent comments [/by]ou can't rule out an album in the late fall with a tour. In fact, I'd go as far to  say it is very much more probable, and all the more likely they'll tour behind a new release versus touring without one. I don't see why in 10 or 11 months they couldn't have something ready (especially if they have some songs written already). They really only need four or five weeks to rehearse for a tour. I think they only had enough time for three weeks worth of rehearsals for the B2B tour? ...Am I correct on the previous statement? .... (which was rather short and pressing....but still four or five weeks should do).

*By the way ...why am I getting extreme Deja Vu right about now ..

Ian

The Stones always take at least a month to rehearse for a new tour

What reports and comments do you mean? I havent read any interviews with Mick or Keith lately which would indicate they'e about to make a new record or go on the road. If its some off the cuff remark Ronnie may have said, I wouldnt take it seriously.

I agree with you that they'd probably wait - and Universal would probably want them to - until they have a new studio album ready before they go on tour.

I also agree with you that they could have something ready in 10-11 months - but who embarks on a tour over Christmas? If the Stones are to play even 20 shows in 2009 that means they would have to be on the road no later than mid October. If it was a longer tour, you're talking about a month earlier if they're going to play 30 shows, etc. If they aren't on the road by September/mid October 2009, then they wont be touring in 2009 at all.

From past form, if they were to have a new album out by the autumn, they'd need by now to have the songs pretty much ready to record. There's been no indication of any inclination in the short term to make a new album. They'd really need to get cracking on it urgently.
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2009 at 5:52pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)