Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Poll Poll
Question: Which is Joshie's favorite Beatles song?

Revolution 9:15    
  4 (12.9%)
You Really Got a Hold on Deuteronome    
  1 (3.2%)
You've Got to Hide Your Love Yahweh    
  6 (19.4%)
Nowhere Menorah    
  5 (16.1%)
You're Going to Lose that Goy-l    
  14 (45.2%)
Israel Be Back    
  1 (3.2%)
Esau Her Standing There    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 31
« Last Modified by: Starbuck on: Feb 6th, 2019 at 10:36pm »

Pages: 1 ... 228 229 230 231 232 
Send Topic Print
The all Macca thread (Read 99,207 times)
Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Re: The all Macca thread
Reply #5725 - May 14th, 2015 at 8:00am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

"   May 13, 2015 -- Macca Report News

Paul plays private concert for the star-studded Robin Hood Foundation benefit

May 12th - Jacob Javits Center - New York City, NY

CONCERT SET LIST

1. Jet
2. Got To Get You Into My Life
3. Save Us
4. All My Loving
5. Let Me Roll It/Foxy Lady Coda
6. Paperback Writer
7. My Valentine
8. Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five
9. The Long And Winding Road
10. Maybe I'm Amazed
11. I've Just Seen A Face
12. I'll Follow The Sun
13. We Can Work It Out
14. Another Day
15. And I Love Her
16. Blackbird
17. Here Today
18. New
19. Lady Madonna
20. Can't Buy Me Love
21. Eleanor Rigby
22. Something
23. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
24. Band On The Run
25. Let It Be
26. Hey Jude

Encore
27. Another Girl
28. Birthday
29. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End

May 13, 2015 -- NY Post (Page Six)

Paul McCartney plays private concert for Sting, Oprah, execs

Paul McCartney played a private concert with a crowd that included Wall Street executives and boldface names that included Sting and Oprah.

The concert on Tuesday night was part of the Robin Hood Foundation's annual benefit. Founded in 1988, the organization has raised more than $2 billion to combat poverty in New York's five boroughs.

McCartney played for about two hours, with a set list that included "Jet" and "Maybe I'm Amazed" as well as a smattering of Beatles classics like "Can't Buy Me Love." Others in the crowd of hundreds included tennis great John McEnroe.

May 13, 2015 -- The Mirror (UK)

Oasis reunion should happen says Paul McCartney who calls Gallaghers 'cool guys'

Oasis are The Beatles' biggest fans but we never knew the feeling was mutual. Now Paul McCartney says the brothers Gallagher should put their feelings to one side for the sake of their music

Paul McCartney has weighed in to the Oasis reunion rumours.

Oasis have long modelled themselves on Macca's legendary band The Beatles, covering a number of their songs including I Am the Walrus and Liam stating John Lennon was his hero.

Macca said: "I don't know if they will ever make up. It would be good because I think everyone likes brothers to like each other ­ and make up. It's a pity because they are very good together. Like many brothers, they are crazy. But it would be nice if they got together."

And the Hey Jude legend even offered fatherly advice to the Burnage brothers.

He said: "My advice to them? Just get together and make some good music! But they have got to want to do it. I think a lot of people would like them to do that. They are pretty cool guys!"

http://themaccareport.com/news/report.htm

« Last Edit: May 14th, 2015 at 8:02am by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

nankerphelge
Rocks Off Regular

Maybe being bad is more
fun than being good...

Sweet Virginia
Reply #5726 - May 14th, 2015 at 8:51am
WHat you doing for Memorial Day Joey?

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #5727 - May 26th, 2015 at 9:36pm
Read Previously Unknown George Harrison Letter From 1966

Penned during 'Revolver' sessions, letter reveals that The Beatles pulled out of planned Stax sessions due to financial issues

BY ANDY GREENE May 25, 2015

A previously unreleased letter George Harrison wrote about recording with the Beatles is going on sale. Werner OTTO/ullstein bild/Getty

A previously unreleased letter that George Harrison wrote to Atlanta DJ Paul Drew in May of 1966 reveals that the Beatles seriously contemplated recording at Stax in Memphis with producer Jim Stewart before the plan was derailed by financial issues. "We would all like it a lot," Harrison wrote by hand, "but too many people get insane with money ideas at the mention of the word 'Beatles,' and so it fell through!"

Word of the proposed Stax sessions has circulated before, but it was always said they pulled out due to security issues. It was also never known they contemplated working with Jim Stewart as opposed to George Martin, the only producer they'd ever worked with until the end of their career three years later.

The letter was recently put on sale by Los Angeles-based rock collectibles dealer Jeff Gold, who acquired it from Drew's widow shortly after he passed away in 2013. "When I read the Stax part I was like, 'What the hell is this?'" says Gold. "I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about this stuff, and I knew it was a major revelation."

The letter, which was postmarked May 7th, 1966, was written when the Beatles were in the early stages of recording Revolver. "The album we are making now should be out around October," Harrison wrote. "But I hear Capitol will make an intermediate album with unused tracks from Rubber Soul, a few old singles and about two or three of the new tracks we have just cut…Well I am off to the studio any minute, as soon as John and Ringo arrive." That "intermediate" album would eventually be released as Yesterday and Today.

"The general assessment is that Capitol did pretty much whatever they wanted with Beatles records," Gold says. "To see that George had a very specific understanding of what Yesterday and Today was going to be before it came out was kind of a revelation too. It surprised me."

Drew was a powerful radio DJ and program director who traveled with the Beatles on their 1964 and 1965 world tour and grew close to the group. Harrison began his letter by thanking him for sending over records by Edwin Starr and Mrs. Miller, the latter a largely forgotten American singer who released off-key rendition of songs like "Downtown" and "Moon River."

Gold is selling the letter for $20,000, and he estimates it will move quickly. "It's just so special," he says. "More people collect the Beatles than anyone else. Bob Dylan is right up there, as are The Rolling Stones and Jimi Hendrix. It depends on what you find, but the Beatles are the most widely-collected artist."

Jeff Gold

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/read-previously-unknown-george-harrison-l...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #5728 - Jun 1st, 2015 at 5:05am
Paul McCartney Has Given Up Marijuana
By Dave Lifton

Jim Dyson, Getty Images

After having spent decades (and a few days in jail) as one of the world’s most famous users of marijuana, Paul McCartney claims that he has given it up. In a new interview, he says that he quit in order to be a better role model to his descendants.

“I don’t do it any more,” he tells the Daily Mirror. “Why? The truth is I don’t really want to set an example to my kids and grandkids. It’s now a parent thing.”

According to numerous histories about the Beatles, McCartney was first turned on to pot in August 1964, when Bob Dylan visited them in their New York hotel room (although George Harrison said they first tried it in Hamburg). In July 1967, the Beatles were among many members of British society who signed their names to an advertisement in the Times calling for the legalization of marijuana, declaring that the “law against marijuana is immoral in principle and unworkable in practice.”

He notes that there’s a difference between his life then and now, adding, “Back then I was just some guy around London having a ball, and the kids were little so I’d just try and keep it out of their faces.”

So what does McCartney, who turns 73 in June, do for a buzz these days? “Instead of smoking a spliff I’ll now have a glass of red wine or a nice margarita. The last time I smoked was a long time ago.”

Read More: Paul McCartney Has Given Up Marijuana | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/paul-mccartney-marijuana/?utm_source=sailthru&utm...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Egon
Rocks Off Regular

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLLING
STONES

A Dutchy in Marseille, France
Reply #5729 - Jun 8th, 2015 at 4:43am

Let the Good times Rolling Stones! - Proud member of Rocks off since 2001 ...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #5730 - Jun 8th, 2015 at 8:03am

<   ---- Glad You Had a Great Time Baby Egon !!!!

" Les très rock'n roll Band on the Run et Back in the USSRpréparent le moment le plus spectaculaire de la soirée : un show pyrotechnique et explosif sur Live and Let Die, la musique qu'il a écrite pour un James Bond. Ça décoiffe ! Pour finir, il nous sert Can't Buy me Love, Yesterday, et un déchaîné Helter Skelter en rappel. Le 18 juin, Paul McCartney fêtera son anniversaire. On envie son enthousiasme et son optimisme qu'il nous fait partager en chansons. Happy birthday Paul !   "

http://www.laprovence.com/article/spectacles/3437755/paul-mccartney-a-envoute-la...

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #5731 - Aug 3rd, 2015 at 10:20am
August 1, 2015 -- Macca Report News EXCLUSIVE!!!

Paul at Lollapalooza !!! A night of magic and surprises

July 31, 2015 - Lollapalooza - Grant Park - Chicago, IL

SOUND CHECK - July 30, 2015 (day before Lolla)
1. Honey Hush
2. Honey Don't
3. Matchbox
4. Blue Suede Shoes (lots of guitar riffs and an extended jam)
5. Sing The Changes
6. Another Girl
7. Letting Go
8. Save Us
9. Miss Ann
10. My Valentine
11. Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five (Paul screams at end in full voice!)
12. Every Night
13 .On My Way To Work
14. Alligator
15. San Francisco Bay Blues
16. We Can Work It Out
17. Live And Let Die (no fireworks, testing lasers)
18. Blue Moon (Frank Sinatra version) Paul teaching band the chords

SOUND CHECK NOTES

Paul arrived at Chicago's Grant Park at 7:40pm in a black SUV directly from the airport. The band arrived in Chicago on Tuesday and was shuttled to Grant Park in a small bus from their hotel 90 minutes ahead of Paul's arrival. His vocals were flawless. At times the sound volume from the stage was lower or raised during the songs. The sound check lasted an hour and 15 minutes.

CONCERT SETLIST (COMPLETE)

1. Magical Mystery Tour
2. Save Us
3. Got To Get You Into My Life
4. Let Me Roll It/Foxy Lady Coda
5. Paperback Writer
6. My Valentine
7. Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five
8. Maybe I'm Amazed
9. I've Just Seen A Face
10. FourFiveSeconds
11. We Can Work It Out
12. And I Love Her
13. Blackbird
14. Here Today
15. Queenie Eye
16. Lady Madonna
17. Eleanor Rigby
19. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!
19. Something
20. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
21. Band On The Run
22. Back In The U.S.S.R
23. Let It Be
24. Live And Let Die
25. Hey Jude

ENCORE
26. Hi Hi Hi
27. Can't Buy Me Love
28. Get Back (with Britney Howard of Alabama Shakes)
29. Helter Skelter
30. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End

THE CONCERT

A crowd estimated to be over 100,000 filled the area in front of the Samsung Galaxy stage inside Chicago's Grant Park to see Paul McCartney. The show began on schedule at 7:45pm with a shortened version of the the pre-concert video rolling on enormous video screens surrounding the stage. At 8pm Paul appeared on stage to the deafening roar of the crowd.

Also at times the volume of the music would be lower than usual and then it would be boosted up again. Same issue happened at the sound check the day before.

The Lolla crowd was comprised of mostly 20 and 30-somethings. Macca was a must see for them and did not disappoint. He had the crowd in the palm of his hand. Though not familiar with his solo songs, the rowdy audience did enjoy them. The Beatles songs had them singing loudly and Wings songs, "Hi Hi Hi", and "Nineteen Hundred And Eighty-Five" got a very enthusiastic reaction. He responded with "Thank you Lollapaloozans!" Many under 30 concertgoers, wore Beatles and Wings T-shirts.

Paul's voice throughout the concert was stellar. The opener, "Magical Mystery Tour" started out with rough vocals, but by the middle of the song his voice had cleared. During the very emotional "Maybe I'm Amazed" and "Hear Today" Paul struggled to keep his composure and his vocals reflected that pain.

By the end of the concert the Lolla crowd was buzzing about how outstanding Paul's performance was. Several 20-somethings remarked that Paul' blew away most of the artists they had seen at other concerts who were younger than him. They marveled at how well his voice held up throughout the show and how young he looked. Many were talking about how incredible the experience was and that they couldn't believe a 73-year-old man could sing like that! Some were talking about wanting to see Ringo's concerts after seeing Paul's.

CONCERT HIGHLIGHTS

After reading the signs, Paul started strumming the acoustic guitar. Then he sang the first verse of "FourFiveSeconds," Rhianna's #1 hit that he co-wrote. The audience knew the song and started singing along. After the refrain he seque nicely into "We Can Work It Out."

Paul told some of his usual concert stories, but when he did his introduction to "Here Today," a song about an imaginary conversation with the late John Lennon, a nearby stage was blasting dance music. It was so loud that it clearly annoyed Paul. He none-the-less began to strum the opening chords as the dance music continued to blast. Then he stopped and said, "Oh, by the way, you'll notice here, we got like, the disco going on over here. I intended this. What I'm doing is kinda, it's like... it's a crazy mash-up with this song and whatever shit they're playing." That brought the house down, roaring with laughter and clapping in agreement. Paul did a wave in the direction of the offensive music stage and then started the song again.

Afterwards, he sat down at the Magic Piano to play "Queenie Eye" and said, "OK, now we got some amplification. We can blast them off the planet!" People giggled and clapped.

"Live And Let Die" had an amazing fireworks show exploding behind the stage. It was timed perfectly during the song, which ended with an explosion of dazzling fireworks cascading upwards like a reversed waterfall.

PHOTO: MJ KIM

For "Get Back" Paul called on stage a "special guest", Britney Howard from Alabama Shakes, who played right before Paul, on the same stage. During the song, Britney sang a verse and also sang on the chorus. She also played some smoking guitar leads.

When the song paused, Paul said, "Hey Britney do you want to get back?" She answered with, "Let's get on back home, Paul." He asked again, "Do you want to get back? She answered, "We're all trying to get back home Paul."

"Me too baby!!!" said Paul.

They continue with him singing "Get Back!" and Britney doing the answer backs. When the song ended he asked the crowd, "How 'bout that Britney?" The audience erupted in applause. He added, "She wants to get back (pauses) to Alabama!"

After "Hey Jude" Paul and the band took their bows, exited the stage and came back a couple of minutes later waving giant flags. When the crowd saw Paul waving the US flag they started chanting "USA! USA! USA!"

The concert continued with "Hi, Hi, Hi" and ended with the Abbey Road Medley.

Paul said his goodbyes to the Lolla crowd and exited the stage at 10pm. Fireworks began shooting upwards behind the stage for about a minute or so.

August 1, 2015 -- Paul McCartney Twitter (photos MJ Kim)

Paul tweets to Lollapalooza crowd

Thank you Chicago! A night and a skyline like no other,

Hey Lollapalooza you were unbelievable!

August 1, 2015 - Chicago Sun-Times

Lollapalooza Day 1: Paul McCartney closes out the night in grand style

Paul McCartney, the legend, can handle anything, including the competing beats of electronic dance music.

McCartney, 73, ran onto stage Friday night with the energy of a far younger man as he closed out day one of Lollapalooza. He toyed with the crowd, who knew every word and sang along.

He brought out the nostalgia, playing "Paperback Writer" with a guitar he used to originally record the song. He made jokes about the blaring electronic dance music coming from the closest stage, where McCartney could see a dramatic light show ahead of the city's sweeping moonlit skyline.

"My song will be a mashup of this song, and whatever s*** they're playing over there," he said to laughs and cheers. The sound bleed became a problem for the crowd, but McCartney took it with a grain of salt, even playing "Something" on a delicate and quiet ukulele as dance beats continued from afar.

McCartney brought out Alabama Shake's Brittany Howard for a performance of "Get Back," - as his set came to a close.

Beatles fans, young and old, danced around the park grounds, grinning ear-to-ear. McCartney's performance seemed to be one of the most universally liked sets the festival has seen in 11 years.

"This is so cool I'd rather take a moment to drink it in myself," McCartney told the crowd, before playing hit after hit, including "Maybe I'm Amazed," I've Just Seen A Face," "Blackbird," "Let It Be," and "Hey Jude.

Howard, Alabama Shake's frontwoman wowed a large daytime crowd, soaking up rays at the stage where McCartney would soon close out the night. Howard screams. She shrieks. Her vocal range stretches word by word and seems intrinsically linked to the emotional lyrics of her songs. She wore a beautiful long-sleeved dress - and was probably burning up.

But she didn't show it. Instead she showed thousands how strong of a guitarist she is, and how unique of a voice she has. Friday's performance was a win for the band, who was forced to cancel their performance in 2012 amid a massive downpour that led to the festival's evacuation.  '

IP Logged

MRD8
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Melbourne, Florida
Reply #5732 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 5:57pm
This one hour of highlights from Lollapalooza was up on DIME today:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=536003

Paul McCartney
Lollapalooza
Samsung Galaxy Stage
Grant Park
Chicago, Illinois
July 31, 2015

Lineage: "Live" Webcast -> FFmpeg -> .flv -> Avidemux 2.6.8 (cut) -> mkvmerge GUI (join) -> .mkv (no transcoding)
Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1280x720 16:9 2340 Kbps 29.97 fps
Audio: AAC 128 Kbps 44.1 KHz stereo

Setlist:
Magical Mystery Tour
Got to Get You into My Life
My Valentine
Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five
Maybe I'm Amazed
We Can Work It Out
Here Today
Lady Madonna
Live and Let Die
Hey Jude

Encore:
Hi, Hi, Hi
Get Back (with Brittany Howard)
Golden Slumbers
Carry That Weight*
The End

TRT = 58 mins 29 secs (highlights only)
(*= A few seconds are missing due to a break in my capture.
A second capture was started and later merged with the original
at the 56:31 mark)

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #5733 - Aug 22nd, 2015 at 8:33am
" August 21, 2015 -- PM.com

Paul Gets Back 'Out There' In Toronto

PAUL McCARTNEY TO GET BACK 'OUT THERE' IN OCTOBER
October 17 at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto

Fresh off an undeniably historic headline performance at this year's Lollapalooza hailed without exception as the biggest and best in the festival's 25 year history, Paul McCartney has confirmed the first new North American arena date on the universally acclaimed 'Out There' tour.

On October 17, Paul will return to Toronto's Air Canada Centre for the first time since 2010 on the 'Up And Coming' tour.

Fans registered with PaulMcCartney.com by 8am (EDT / 1PM BST) on Monday 24th August will be eligible to purchase pre-sale tickets for Paul's Toronto concert through the website. By registering fans will also gain accesss to exclusive content including free audio downloads, GIFs, puzzles and be eligible to purchase advance tickets for all future concert dates.   "

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #5734 - Aug 25th, 2015 at 8:15am
" August 24, 2015 -- PM.com (updated 1pm)

Paul gets back 'Out There' in Columbus

PAUL McCARTNEY TO GET BACK "OUT THERE" IN OCTOBER

NEW NORTH AMERICAN DATES CONFIRMED

October 13: Columbus, Ohio - Nationwide Arena
October 17: Toronto, Canada - Air Canada Centre

Fresh off an undeniably historic headline performance at this year's Lollapalooza hailed without exception as the biggest and best in the festival's 25 year history, Paul McCartney has confirmed another new North American arena date on the universally acclaimed 'Out There' tour.

Paul will return to Columbus, OH nearly 10 years to the day since his last appearance in the Ohio capital city to headline the Nationwide Arena on October 13. October 17 will see Paul back at Toronto's Air Canada Centre for the first time since 2010 on the 'Up And Coming' Tour.

Fans registered with PaulMcCartney.com by 8am (EDT / 1PM BST) on Thursday 27th August will be eligible to purchase pre-sale tickets for Paul's Columbus concert through the website. By registering fans will also gain accesss to exclusive content including free audio downloads, GIFs, puzzles and be eligible to purchase advance tickets for all future concert dates.

Register with PaulMcCartney.com by clicking HERE!

Tickets for the newly announced Columbus date will be on sale Monday, August 31 at 10am EDT

In Columbus, American Express® Card Members can purchase tickets before the general public beginning Thursday August 27 at 10am EDT through Sunday August 30 at 10pm EDT

In Toronto, American Express® Card Members can purchase tickets before the general public beginning Tuesday August 25 at 10am EDT through Thursday August 27 at 10pm EDT

August 24, 2015 -- Macca Report News EXCLUSIVE!!(updated 10am)

Paul McCartney 'Out There' North America shows/dates

Columbus, OH - October 13th - Nationwide Arena (to be confirmed) NOW CONFIRMED!
Detroit, MI - October 21st - Joe Louis Arena (to be confirmed)
Toronto, Canada - October 17 - ACC (confirmed)
Buffalo, NY - October 22 - First Niagra Center (unconfirmed)

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #5735 - Aug 25th, 2015 at 9:48am
Joey ?

IP Logged

FPM
Rocks Off Regular

Right here in the USA
Reply #5736 - Aug 26th, 2015 at 1:58am
Looks like I'm finally going to see Paul McCartney.  State College is 45 minutes away.

...&&&&
IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #5737 - Aug 26th, 2015 at 5:03am
FPM wrote on Aug 26th, 2015 at 1:58am:
Looks like I'm finally going to see Paul McCartney.  State College is 45 minutes away.

Looks, like I'll be leaving town for a couple of days!!!  Oh no! not you again you made a grown man cry

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #5738 - Aug 26th, 2015 at 5:52am
50 Years Ago: Beatles LSD Party Inspires ‘She Said She Said’
By Frank Mastropolo August 24, 2015

At a drug-fueled party on Aug. 24, 1965, during a break in the Beatles‘ North America tour, John Lennon and George Harrison each took his second LSD trip. Ringo Starr tried the psychedelic drug for the first time, but Paul McCartney, wary of its effects, chose to abstain.

Before the day ended, Harrison would learn more about Indian music. He had started to develop an interest in it during the filming of Help! He would soon incorporate into his music and popularize in the West. Lennon would be inspired to write “She Said She Said,” the iconic song from Revolver.

The crush of fans and police around the Beatles’ rented Beverly Hills mansion made it difficult for the band to leave. Instead, celebrities like Roger McGuinn and David Crosby of the Byrds and actor Peter Fonda came over and spent the day tripping with the three Beatles. (In 1965, LSD was still legal in California.)

Harrison and Starr discussed the band’s drug use in The Beatles Anthology. Though they had been smoking marijuana for a year after being introduced to it by Bob Dylan, LSD was unknown to half of them. A few months earlier, Harrison and Lennon had taken their first acid trip at a dinner party thrown by Harrison’s dentist, who had slipped it into their drinks. The two were profoundly changed by the experience.

“John and I had decided that Paul and Ringo had to have acid, because we couldn’t relate to them any more,” said Harrison. “Not just on the one level — we couldn’t relate to them on any level, because acid had changed us so much. It was such a mammoth experience that it was unexplainable: it was something that had to be experienced, because you could spend the rest of your life trying to explain what it made you feel and think. It was all too important to John and me. So the plan was that when we got to Hollywood, on our day off we were going to get them to take acid. We got some in New York; it was on sugar cubes wrapped in tinfoil and we’d been carrying these around all through the tour until we got to L.A.”

“I’d take anything,” added Starr. “It was a fabulous day. The night wasn’t so great, because it felt like it was never going to wear off. Twelve hours later and it was: ‘Give us a break now, Lord.’”

“Paul felt very out of it, because we are all a bit slightly cruel, sort of ‘we’re taking it, and you’re not,’ Lennon told Rolling Stone. “But we kept seeing him, you know. We couldn’t eat our food, I just couldn’t manage it, just picking it up with our hands. There were all these people serving us in the house and we were knocking food on the floor and all of that. It was a long time before Paul took it.”

McGuinn told the Daily Telegraph that a conversation he had with Harrison would influence the development of psychedelic rock. “We went in and David, John Lennon, George Harrison and I took LSD to help get to know each other better,” he said. “There was a large bathroom in the house and we were all sitting on the edge of a shower passing around a guitar, taking turns to play our favorite songs. John and I agreed ‘Be-Bop-A-Lula’ was our favorite ’50s rock record.

“I showed George Harrison some Ravi Shankar sounds, which I’d heard because we shared the same record company, on the guitar. … You can hear what I played him from the Byrds’ song ‘Why.’ I had learned to play it on the guitar from listening to records of Ravi Shankar.”

Harrison has said, however, that it was Crosby who first mentioned Shankar’s music. With the amount of drugs consumed, it’s easy to understand the confusion.

Though the Kinks and the Yardbirds also experimented with the sitar at the time, the Beatles’ “Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown),” which was recorded in October 1965, was the first Western rock song released to feature the sitar.

Listen to the Beatles Perform “Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)”

“I went and bought a sitar from a little shop at the top of Oxford Street called Indiacraft — it stocked little carvings and incense,” said Harrison. “It was a real crummy-quality one, actually, but I bought it and mucked about with it a bit. We were at the point where we’d recorded the ‘Norwegian Wood’ backing track and it needed something. We would usually start looking through the cupboard to see if we could come up with something, a new sound, and I picked the sitar up — it was just lying around. I hadn’t really figured out what to do with it. It was quite spontaneous: I found the notes that played the lick.”

In 1965, four years before his starring role in the film Easy Rider, Peter Fonda was hardly a household name. It was his friendship with the Byrds that allowed Fonda to attend the party, and he unintentionally influenced a future Beatles song.

“This was the second time they had taken LSD, and George was having a tough time,” Fonda tells Empire magazine. “David Crosby comes up to me, and I don’t know why Crosby thought I wasn’t loaded, but he said, ‘You have to go down and help George.’ Why am I the tour guide? I went down and I said, ‘George, don’t worry about it. This is a drug that makes you feel like dying and your brain doesn’t want to do that, so it’s trying to stop and that’s the conflict so just let it go and ease out.’

“Then I said, ‘I know what it’s like to be dead, because a month before I turned 11, I shot myself in the stomach by accident and I died three times on the operating table while my heart stopped, so I’m still here to tell you the story.’ I was trying to tell George, ‘Don’t worry about it, just let, let the drug take you down the trip.’ And John was sitting right there, looking at me as I told George several times, ‘It’s okay, George, I know what it’s like to be dead.’

“We didn’t want to hear about that!” Lennon told Playboy. “We were on an acid trip and the sun was shining and the girls were dancing and the whole thing was beautiful and ’60s, and this guy — who I really didn’t know; he hadn’t made Easy Rider or anything — kept coming over, wearing shades, saying, ‘I know what it’s like to be dead,’ and we kept leaving him because he was so boring! And I used it for the song, but I changed it to ‘she’ instead of ‘he’. It was scary. You know, a guy … when you’re flying high and [whispers] ‘I know what it’s like to be dead, man.’ I remembered the incident. Don’t tell me about it! I don’t want to know what it’s like to be dead!”

Read More: 50 Years Ago: Beatles LSD Party Inspires 'She Said She Said' | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/beatles-she-said-she-said/?utm_source=sailthru&ut...

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #5739 - Dec 28th, 2015 at 2:36pm
Joey ?

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #5740 - Feb 14th, 2016 at 8:01am
The Story of the Beatles’ First U.S. Concert

By Dave Lifton February 11, 2016

On Feb. 11, 1964, two days after their appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, the Beatles made their U.S. concert debut in Washington, D.C. Earlier that day, they had arrived from New York by train at Union Station in the middle of a snowstorm.

The show took place at the Washington Coliseum, about a mile north of the U.S. Capitol building. The seating plan for the arena was in its configuration for boxing, with the Beatles setting up on the unroped ring in the middle. This meant that the group were only facing 25 percent of the 8,092 fans in attendance at any given time. In between songs, they moved the amplifiers, microphones and Ringo Starr‘s drum riser one-quarter turn clockwise.

Former Vice President Al Gore, who was 15 years old and the son of a U.S. Senator, attended the concert. “The acoustics in the arena combined with the absolute frenzy of enthusiasm made it virtually impossible to understand a single word that they sang,” he told the Washington Post. “You had to listen carefully to get the general flow of the song, and of course everybody knew all the words prior to the concert. We all loved their music, but clearly there were a lot of people in that crowd who loved it even more than I did because they couldn’t stop screaming.”

But it wasn’t just the screaming of the fans that affected the group. “We had been asked somewhere what is your favorite sweet, and we said jelly babies,” said Paul McCartney. “So the fans took to throwing them onstage, and this had reached Washington. In England, they’re soft and always in the shape of babies. What do you call them? Jelly beans. They’re hard. They stung, and we’re playing in the round, and they’re being thrown from everywhere. It was very unsettling. After that, we said the time has come for us to tell people we hate these damn things. They were only trying to be cute; throw the cute bits at the cute boys, that will be fun. But if you caught one of those in the eye, that was none too pleasant.”

In the 35-minute set, the Beatles played 12 songs: “Roll Over, Beethoven,” “From Me to You,” “I Saw Her Standing There,” “This Boy,” “All My Loving,” “I Wanna Be Your Man,” “Please Please Me,” “Till There Was You,” “She Loves You,” “I Want to Hold Your Hand,” “Twist and Shout” and “Long Tall Sally.” Footage of “I Saw Her Standing There,” “I Wanna Be Your Man” and “She Loves You” were featured in the Maysles’ documentary The Beatles: The First U.S. Visit.

Following the concert, they attended a reception thrown in their honor at the British Embassy that didn’t go particularly well. “In the early-’60s there was still a huge disparity between people from the North of England and ‘people from Embassies,’ Ringo said in Anthology. “But we went. God knows why. Maybe because we’d suddenly become ambassadors and they wanted to see us, and I think Brian [Epstein] liked the idea that it was big time.”

Tensions between the upper-crust diplomats and the working class Beatles got even worse when an attendee cut off a piece of Ringo’s hair. “I walked out, swearing at all of them,” John Lennon said. “I just left in the middle of it.” As they were leaving, the ambassador’s wife apologized for the behavior of the guests.

Tickets ranged from $2-4, which, in today’s dollars, would be between $15-30. Opening acts were the Caravelles, Tommy Roe and the Chiffons.

Read More: The Story of the Beatles' First U.S. Concert | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/beatles-first-u-s-concert/?utm_source=sailthru&ut...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #5741 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 9:10pm

This track is about ... " The Beatles !!!!!  "  :

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #5742 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 9:13pm

" Paul McCartney Announces First Live Shows Of 2016 "

" European summer festival headline appearances confirmed:

Sunday 12th June ­ Pinkpop, Netherlands"

"  ...  Thursday 30th June ­ Rock Werchter, Belgium

Paul McCartney has confirmed he will headline two European festivals this summer.  In June he'll perform at Pinkpop in Netherlands and Rock Werchter in Belgium.

These appearances follow a year that saw Paul headline both Firefly and Lollapolooza in the US as well as closing the Roskilde festival in Denmark.

Speaking about performing at Pinkpop Paul said:
"I love a festival audience and we plan to close Pinkpop with a massive party. I've not done a festival in the Netherlands before so it will be an exciting new experience for me and for the audience, so we can all rock out together. Get ready Pinkpop we're on our way. See you in June."

Pinkpop organizer Jan Smeets said:
"I am very proud that Sir Paul McCartney, one of the world's greatest artists will play at Pinkpop. His first Dutch festival show ever. An artist who was never on our wish list because we never thought it would even be possible! A Beatle at Pinkpop, it's almost unbelievable."

And on Rock Werchter Paul commented:
"We've been having so much fun at different festivals around the world in recent years and I can't wait to get to Belgium with the band for our first festival there. I've heard such great things about Rock Werchter so I know it's going to be a big night of rock'n'roll and partying to remember."

Rock Werchter boss Herman Schueremans said:
"The number 1 on my wish list. Paul McCartney is one of the last really big names to be missing from our rich festival history. Sometimes such a high profile visit is purely a matter of luck. The artist must be performing and the diaries have to fit. This time it all worked out. Every generation has its McCartney classic. He has inspired so many musicians, and is still doing so today. I am looking forward to the concert."

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2016 at 9:15pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #5743 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 9:20pm
gazza?

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #5744 - Feb 16th, 2016 at 5:01pm

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #5745 - Feb 16th, 2016 at 8:19pm
Unbelievable, not letting Sir Paul in!
What an unwise decision!
Unbelievable Drumming here!

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #5746 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 11:39am

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #5747 - Mar 30th, 2016 at 8:33pm

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #5748 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 1:50pm

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Bluzdude
Rocks Off Regular

I'm here-that's all that
matters. Rocks Off Rules!

Los Angeles
Reply #5749 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 1:04am
Hey Sweetcharmedlife, I see he recently added a date near your new abode

...It's great to be here...It's great to be anywhere!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 228 229 230 231 232 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)