Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
In memory of Tom Layhue (TomL, Sai Wong, Willie Dixon)
With Sir Moonie, Fleabit Peanut Monkey, and Nanky © NFI but thanks!r!

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Poll Poll
Question: Most Important Music Festival

« Created by: TenThousandMotels on: May 29th, 2008 at 10:12am »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Most Important Music Festival (Read 2,369 times)
TenThousandMotels
Ex Member

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Most Important Music Festival
May 29th, 2008 at 10:12am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
One vote. Guests welcome.

IP Logged

TenThousandMotels
Ex Member

Re: Most Important Music Festival
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2008 at 10:18am
I almost wanted to vote for Powder Ridge. Only because I had a few friends that went down from Maine for that. And I've had to listen to their "war stories' for the last 35 years.
Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

IP Logged

TenThousandMotels
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 29th, 2008 at 10:22am
TenThousandMotels wrote on May 29th, 2008 at 10:18am:
I almost wanted to vote for Powder Ridge. Only because I had a few friends that went down from Maine for that. And I've had to listen to their "war stories' for the last 35 years.
Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

"Powder Ridge was an accident waiting to happen, and it happened."

Tickets were sold by mail at a price of $20 for the whole weekend. The announced line-up of musicians was stellar:

Day 1: Eric Burdon & War, Sly and the Family Stone, Delaney & Bonnie, Fleetwood Mac, Melanie, Mountain, J.F. Murphy and Free Flowing Salt, Allan Nichols, James Taylor
Day 2: Joe Cocker, Allman Brothers, Cactus, Little Richard, Van Morrison, Rhinoceros, Ten Wheel Drive, Jethro Tull, Tony Williams Lifetime, Zephyr
Day 3: Janis Joplin, Chuck Berry, Bloodrock, Savoy Brown, Chicken Shack, Grand Funk Railroad, Richie Havens, John B. Sebastian, Spirit, Ten Years After

From Wkipedia
Drugs were openly sold and commonly consumed at the festival. The famed rock doctor William Abruzzi (also at Woodstock) was there to treat bad LSD trips, and said there were more bad trips at Powder Ridge per capita than at any other music festival he'd ever worked. He attributed some of the problems to the barrels of "electric water" that were available for free public consumption; people were invited to drop donations of drugs into these barrels, creating drug cocktails of unknown strength and composition.

William Manchester[6] writes:

One of the more sensational scenes, attested to by several witnesses, occurred in a small wood near some homes. A boy and a girl, both naked and approaching from different directions, met under the trees. On impulse they suddenly embraced. She dropped to her knees, he mounted her from behind, and after he had achieved his climax they parted—apparently without exchanging a word.

« Last Edit: May 29th, 2008 at 10:32am by TenThousandMotels »  

IP Logged

TenThousandMotels
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 29th, 2008 at 10:51am

IP Logged

fishook
Rocks Off Regular

Chicago
Reply #4 - May 29th, 2008 at 11:34am
I voted other.  Here's why. 

I didn't see the Woodstock movie until college -- it just blew me away[and parts of it still do], especially Alvin Lee's performance, and then the watermelon that lands at his feet.  It changed my way of viewing rock.

Of the list posted, I would have been also tempted to vote for Live Aid.  I missed watching the show at the time because of work / school commitments, although I caught a minute or so of Albert Collins / Bo / Thorogood.   Later on, when I realized how great the line-up was, and realized what I had missed, I did not hesitate when the first Farm Aid show was announced for Champaign, Illinois a couple of months later.  Drove to the first Farm Aid, and have seen 6 more of them since, as well as Atlantic's 40th Anniversary, and the Welcome Home show in D.C.

But I voted other, because my answer would be the (stationary) Lollapalooza that has relocated to Grant Park, Chicago since 2005.  It is a pleasure to be able to park at my office and then see twelve hours of music, bands old and new, for approximately $70 per day.   

to live outside the law you must be honest

IP Logged

Wild Bill
Rocks Off Regular

Peace, love y abrazos

East Ozarks
Reply #5 - May 29th, 2008 at 11:49am
Are you experienced?  Have you ever been experienced?  I have.

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #6 - May 29th, 2008 at 12:29pm
I voted for the one that I would have wanted to attend the most---Monterey. An amazing weekend.

I think Isle of Wight would have been my second favorite to attend.

Woodstock is history, of course.

The Newport Folk Festival of '65 was groundbreaking as well.

But it's Monterey for me...

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #7 - May 29th, 2008 at 12:54pm
Sioux wrote on May 29th, 2008 at 12:29pm:
I voted for the one that I would have wanted to attend the most---Monterey. An amazing weekend.

I think Isle of Wight would have been my second favorite to attend.

Woodstock is history, of course.

The Newport Folk Festival of '65 was groundbreaking as well.

But it's Monterey for me...

ditto

Monterey. before the flood.
Isle of Wight 70. hendrix's and the morrison's swansong plus the who at their peak. +taste, tull, tya

Watkins Glen the Band, The Dead, The Allmans.  what a jam. a friend of mine went. she doesnt remember much except being topless.......

Altamont. Da Stones, CSNY, Santana, Airplane, Burrito's. must have been a great show if you weren't hanging around the bikers.........
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2008 at 12:59pm by mojoman »  

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #8 - May 29th, 2008 at 1:03pm
This was kind of big in my day-

1983 US Festival
Schedule of Performers
in order of appearance:
[source: Festival program]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday May 28th:
Divinyls [11:20 - 11:50 am],
INXS [12:20 - 12:55 pm]
Wall of Voodoo [1:25 -2:40]
Oingo Boingo [2:40 - 3:40]
The English Beat [4:10 - 5:10]
Flock ofSeagulls [5:40 - 6:40]
Stray Cats [7:10 - 8:20]
Men At Work [8:50 -10:00]
The Clash [10:30 - midnight].

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday May 29th:
Quiet Riot [12:10 - 12:50 pm]
Motley Crue [1:20 - 2:20]
Ozzy Osbourne [2:50 - 4:00]
Judas Priest [4:30 - 5:40]
Triumph [6:10 - 7:20]
Scorpions [7:55 - 9:10]
Van Halen [10:00 - midnight]

Monday May 30th:
Little Steven & The Disciples of Soul [9:15 - 9:50 am]
Berlin [10:15 -10:50 am]
Quarterflash [11:15 - 11:50 am]
U2 [12:20 - 1:10 pm]
Missing Persons [1:40 - 2:40]
Pretenders [3:10 - 4:10]
Joe Walsh [4:40 - 5:50],
Stevie Nicks [6:20 - 7:30]
David Bowie [8:00 - 10:00 pm]

Saturday June 4th: Country Day:
Riders In The Sky [11:30 am - 12:15 pm], Thrasher Brothers [12:45 - 1:25pm]
Ricky Skaggs [1:45 - 2:20]
Hank Williams Jr. [2:50 - 3:50]
Emmylou Harris & The Hot Band [4:35 - 5:35]
Waylon Jennings [6:10 - 7:10]
Alabama [7:45 - 9:15]
Willie Nelson [10:00 - midnight]

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 29th, 2008 at 5:24pm
i wasn't at any of the mentioned concerts,  but if i had a choice it would be altomont and woodstock

everybody say ow

:funny

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #10 - May 29th, 2008 at 5:43pm
Other.

The '89 Moscow Music Peace Festival
- Cinderella
- Gorky Park
- Scorpions
- Skid Row
- Mötley Crüe
- Ozzy Osbourne
- Bon Jovi

Russia says "da" to metal, and a slew of hair bands reward them by punching a giant hole in the Soviet ozone layer in two day's time...
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2008 at 7:05pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #11 - May 29th, 2008 at 5:58pm
These pols would be great if they actually were comprehensive and not stuck in the 60's for the most part. SouthbySouthwest happens every year, and that's just one. There's yearly festivals all over this country, not to mention the world! Are they not important?

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #12 - May 29th, 2008 at 6:03pm
Pdog wrote on May 29th, 2008 at 5:58pm:
These pols would be great if they actually were comprehensive and not stuck in the 60's for the most part. SouthbySouthwest happens every year, and that's just one. There's yearly festivals all over this country, not to mention the world! Are they not important?

Bonna who?
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2008 at 6:05pm by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #13 - May 29th, 2008 at 6:21pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on May 29th, 2008 at 6:03pm:

Bonna who?

Isn't that the female singer for the all girl U2 tribute band?

IP Logged

Riffhard
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #14 - May 29th, 2008 at 6:53pm
I voted for Altamont, but not because it was the best, or the most comprehensive as far as the acts go. I voted for it rather because of what it did socially to the whole scene. It was the one festival where the balloon was fully burst on the whole fool minded notion of Flower Power and Free Love. It demonstrated more than any other rock and roll festival that hippiedom was a goddamned sham. Too bad really, because the ideology of the hippies, while incredibly naive and full of false promises, was at the very least fun for a time.

Altamont put a big stake through the heart of the whole peace, love, and flowers bullshit. The fact is that Woodstock '69 was the exception, and by no means the rule when it came to groovy, peaceful, flower power schtick. What started in LA with the rise of the Manson Family, ended 9 months later on the hills of Altamont Speedway. The veil was lifted on a false hope of hippiedom and the swinging 60's bowed out with pool cues and blood. Altamont underscored this sea change of societal shifts more than any other event. So to me Altamont is the most important festival, albeit for all the wrong reasons.

Riffy

...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&"When all government...in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided...” Thomas Jefferson&&&&"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows us that as a government grows, liberty decreases." — Thomas Jefferson&&&&&&&&We're not old men.We don't bother about petty morals--Keef&&&&Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth. &&-- George Burns&&&&&&I ain't no leftist!-Bob Dylan&&&&"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #15 - May 29th, 2008 at 7:06pm
Pdog wrote on May 29th, 2008 at 6:21pm:

Bonna who?

You're thinking of Vono Box.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #16 - May 29th, 2008 at 7:10pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on May 29th, 2008 at 7:06pm:
Pdog wrote on May 29th, 2008 at 6:21pm:

Bonna who?

You're thinking of Vono Box.

is that the kind of box she had?

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #17 - May 29th, 2008 at 10:33pm
Riffhard wrote on May 29th, 2008 at 6:53pm:
I voted for Altamont, but not because it was the best, or the most comprehensive as far as the acts go. I voted for it rather because of what it did socially to the whole scene. It was the one festival where the balloon was fully burst on the whole fool minded notion of Flower Power and Free Love. It demonstrated more than any other rock and roll festival that hippiedom was a goddamned sham. Too bad really, because the ideology of the hippies, while incredibly naive and full of false promises, was at the very least fun for a time.

Altamont put a big stake through the heart of the whole peace, love, and flowers bullshit. The fact is that Woodstock '69 was the exception, and by no means the rule when it came to groovy, peaceful, flower power schtick. What started in LA with the rise of the Manson Family, ended 9 months later on the hills of Altamont Speedway. The veil was lifted on a false hope of hippiedom and the swinging 60's bowed out with pool cues and blood. Altamont underscored this sea change of societal shifts more than any other event. So to me Altamont is the most important festival, albeit for all the wrong reasons.

Riffy

Riffy, this is very well stated and thought out. I think I agree that it's the most important festival, for the wrong reasons. I think Monterey was the most important festival for the right reasons.  Smiley

IP Logged

Riffhard
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #18 - May 29th, 2008 at 10:51pm
Sioux wrote on May 29th, 2008 at 10:33pm:
Riffhard wrote on May 29th, 2008 at 6:53pm:

Riffy

Riffy, this is very well stated and thought out. I think I agree that it's the most important festival, for the wrong reasons. I think Monterey was the most important festival for the right reasons.  Smiley

Fair enough Sioux. I tend to agree. Monterey had it all. The coming out party for Jimi with his iconic sacrifice of his guitar with the Ronson lighter fluid, a blistering set by The Who, Brian Jones in his minstrel getup holding court, and Otis Redding laying down some of the most serious soul that the 60's ever saw. A brilliant festival by all accounts,and as you so rightly pointed out, for all the right reasons.

Riffy  
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2008 at 11:05pm by Riffhard »  

...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&"When all government...in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided...” Thomas Jefferson&&&&"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows us that as a government grows, liberty decreases." — Thomas Jefferson&&&&&&&&We're not old men.We don't bother about petty morals--Keef&&&&Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth. &&-- George Burns&&&&&&I ain't no leftist!-Bob Dylan&&&&"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #19 - May 29th, 2008 at 10:59pm
And don't forget the frenzy that Janis Joplin started! I can still see Mama Cass in the audience, with her mouth open. She knocked everybody's socks off!

Yes, Brian was the King of the Festival... Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)