Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oh No - Crystal skulls 'are modern fakes' (Read 1,016 times)
open-g
Rocks Off Regular

Silence is golden, Duct
tape is silver

Berlin
Oh No - Crystal skulls 'are modern fakes'
May 22nd, 2008 at 1:24pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Crystal skulls 'are modern fakes'

By Paul Rincon
Science reporter, BBC News

Crystal skull (British Museum)
The skulls were made with tools not available to Pre-Columbian cultures
Two of the best known crystal skulls - artefacts once thought to be the work of ancient American civilisations - are modern fakes, a scientific study shows.

They are the focus of the story in the latest Indiana Jones film.

But experts say examples held at the British Museum in London and the Smithsonian Institution in Washington DC are anything but genuine.
Their results show the skulls were made using tools not available to the ancient Aztecs or Mayans.
Archaeologists say the work, published in the Journal of Archaeological Science, should end decades of speculation over the origins of these controversial objects.

A team including Margaret Sax, from the British Museum in London, and Professor Ian Freestone, from Cardiff University, used sophisticated techniques to work out how the two skulls had been made.

There seems to be the assumption that if it is roughly worked, it is more likely to have been made by a traditional society. That's untrue of course
Prof Ian Freestone, Cardiff University
"There are about a dozen or more of these crystal skulls. Except for the British Museum skull and one in Paris, they seem to have entered public awareness since the 60s, with the interest in quartz and the New Age movement," Professor Freestone told BBC News.

"It does appear that people have been making them since then. Some of them are quite good, but some of them look like they were produced with a Black & Decker in someone's garage."

He added: "There seems to be the assumption that if it is roughly worked, it is more likely to have been made by a traditional society. That's untrue of course, because people were quite sophisticated. They might not have had modern tools, but they did a good job."

The researchers used an electron microscope to show that the skulls were probably shaped using a spinning disc-shaped tool made from copper or another suitable metal.

The craftsman added an abrasive to the wheel, allowing the crystal to be worked more easily.

Modern technology

This "rotary wheel" technology was almost certainly not used by pre-Columbian peoples. Instead, analysis of genuine Aztec and Mixtec artefacts show they were crafted using tools made from stone and wood.

The British Museum skull was worked with a harsh abrasive such as corundum or diamond, whereas X-ray diffraction analysis showed that a harsh abrasive called carborundum was used on the artefact in the Smithsonian.

Carborundum is a synthetic abrasive which only came into use in the 20th Century: "The suggestion is that it was made in the 1950s or later," said Professor Freestone.

Who made the fake skulls is still a mystery, but some point the finger of suspicion at a 19th Century French antiquities dealer called Eugene Boban.

"We assume that he bought it from, or had it made from [craftsmen] somewhere in Europe," said Professor Freestone, a former deputy keeper of science and conservation at the British Museum

Anonymous donation

Contemporary documents suggest Mr Boban was involved in selling at least two of the known crystal skulls - the one held in London and another in Paris.

The London skull was probably manufactured no more than a decade before being offered up for sale.

Despite the findings, a spokeswoman for the British Museum said the artefact would remain on permanent display to the public.

The skull held by the Smithsonian was donated to the museum anonymously in 1992, along with a note saying it had been bought in Mexico in 1960.

Nothing is known of its history before that date, but like the British object, it was probably manufactured shortly before being purchased.

The researchers were not able to determine where the quartz used in the skulls was quarried. But locations with suitably large deposits include Brazil, Madagascar and, possibly, the Alps.

Professor Freestone said the work did not prove all crystal skulls were fakes, but it did cast doubt on the authenticity of other examples: "None of them have a good archaeological provenance and most appeared suspiciously in the last decades of the 20th Century. So we have to be sceptical," he explained.

The findings are likely to be a disappointment to enthusiasts and collectors; the skulls have become a part of popular culture, appearing in numerous films and novels.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7414637.stm

...Ouch!

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Re: Oh No - Crystal skulls 'are modern fakes'
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2008 at 1:32pm
I think 15 years ago I would have been 1st in line for the new Indy movie but now, I feel zero excitement for it.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2008 at 2:27pm
" I think 15 years ago I would have been 1st in line for the new Indy movie but now, I feel zero excitement for it "

What ?!

... !!!!!!!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

open-g
Rocks Off Regular

Silence is golden, Duct
tape is silver

Berlin
Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2008 at 3:45pm
I'm surprised that the cristal skulls from Indiana Jones actually exist  Blank Frigging Stare
I don't care if they're from the 60ies or ancient - I thought it would be pure fiction anyhow and now you read about it on the science section of the BBC Smiley

who'dve  thunk that^^

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #4 - May 25th, 2008 at 3:58pm
just this minute got back from seeing it.

it sucked, like Mr Sucky sucking on a big ice lolly.

George Lucas and his pal Spielberg need to go away and never make another movie, ever again.

These guys have ruined yet another much loved franchise, with their CGi, aliens, zero-script and continuity errors.

Cate Blanchett plays a character straight out of an Austin Power's movie.
It's fvcked her career, in my eyes.

Lucas and Spielberg, are too rich, too bored and too lazy...they clearly believe in their own publicity, consider themselves, untouchable gods of film making.
How wrong they are.
go away.
stop.
don't come back.

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2008 at 4:42pm
speilberg is one of the best filmakers of all time. 

i will see this when it comes out on dvd

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)