Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jaggers voice - help (agreement) needed (Read 3,004 times)
corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Aussie land
Jaggers voice - help (agreement) needed
May 22nd, 2008 at 8:22am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I am a long time non-fan of the ealy stuff. Well, not so much a non-fan, just that i think better was to come.

To me, the Stones "truly" began with JJF. I mean, it's a no brainer. The alternate tunings. The incredible lyrics - So much more esoterical than previous offerings. The toughness.

But....

The key is Jagger. His voice is so different from prior offerings. Consider She's a rainbow (Getting MASSIVE airplay here in Oz due to a commercial, and i might say, so so so ripe for some sort of re-mix), Ruby, We love you, LSTNT, Dandelion etc.

To me, something happened to Jagger's voice in the relatively short period.

I wonder if it was Jimmy Miller?
I wonder if it was just Jagger's voice "maturing" - toughening up.
But there is no doubt - his vocal styling changed with JJF

Any thoughts?

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Re: Jaggers voice - help (agreement) needed
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2008 at 8:38am
I'd say it was a combination of his voice maturing and him developing his own style. He sounds incredibly young on those recordings from 63-67. His sound and style DID change around '68, definitely.

I can't agree with your thoughts on the Stones beginning with JJF though.

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2008 at 9:02am
No, i dont expect anyone to do that. It's just "me". And i know i dismiss alot of important work. I dont dismiss it. I just think post 68 Stones is kind of the achetypal Stones. And JJF was the catalyst.

I have no references handy, but i wonder the time diff between recording JJF and the single prior. What are we talking about? way less than a year. Way less.

Thanks for your input.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

speedfreakjive
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2008 at 9:43am
to me JJF marked the moment when The Rolling Stones transformed from a great pop band to a great rock band, much more to my taste

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2008 at 9:50am
" Any thoughts? "

yes ....................

*** YES !!! *****   .........

Corgi is ' The King !!!!  ' 

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2008 at 12:26pm
probably the cigs and liquor that gave it that rough sound.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 22nd, 2008 at 12:37pm
Word on the street that Maroon 5's lead singer is due for a similar voice change!

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2008 at 1:20pm
Very interesting.  I don't agree with your thesis at all - to me the Rolling Stones begin the first beat of "Not Fade Away", but you argue your point well.  To think that Satisfaction occurred "pre-Rolling Stones", though, might be a serious fallacy with your argument.  

What's problematic about the linear transition from She's a Rainbow (September 67??) to JJF (May 68???) is that it's pretty obvious that there is a straight line between the run of singles starting with, say, Paint It Black up to Mother Baby that JJF is of a piece with and the We Love You/She's a Rainbow/Satanic Majesties thing (even Let's Spend the Night/Ruby Tuesday) is kind of a digression from that.

One could also argue that in addition to Jagger's voice gaining, I don't know, its true sneer, that it is the ascendency of Keith Richards as primary musical mastermind, Jones' slide into musical and band member irrelevance, and a more complete and organic synthesis of the innovations of the Beatles and Dylan into the Stones original R&B sound that finally launched the beast that was JJF.  I would argue that Jagger's voice starts to take on its mature dimension with Aftermath, which is another arguable point for when the Stones "begin".

I never play JJF as a DJ, because of all the baggage it carries as an überhit (I mostly use w/pre-JJF Stones cuts when I spin), but I played it last Saturday night, as a climax to a bunch of "garage" singles by 1968 bands.  Even following a particularly hot monster of a song, JJF annihilated it completely, in terms of sound/energy/genius.  The place went apeshit.  That was great.
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2008 at 1:30pm by Nasty Habits »  

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #8 - May 22nd, 2008 at 8:03pm
I can't discount the pre- JJF years. There's some real genius, especially as you get closer to TSMR, and some on there as well.
I love the early singles, when they started writing their own songs...

IP Logged

Glimmer Twin
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #9 - May 22nd, 2008 at 9:03pm
speedfreakjive wrote on May 22nd, 2008 at 9:43am:
to me JJF marked the moment when The Rolling Stones transformed from a great pop band to a great rock band, much more to my taste

I agree.  Great way to put it.  And I can't help to think that Jimmy Miller was important to make them a great rock band.

IP Logged

Riffhard
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #10 - May 22nd, 2008 at 9:25pm
I see your point corgi, but I too love the pre-JJF stuff for the very reasons that Nasty attributes the ascension of the Stones (Jagger/Richards) as we know them now. Specifically, I loved the elements that Brian brought to so many of those early releases. His steller work on the marimbas on Under My Thumb, the brilliant recorder on Ruby Tuesday, his sitar work for PIB, his synth work on 10,000 Light Years. The list goes on, but I always loved the early stuff for the sheer eclectic nature of it. All in large part because of one Mr. Brian Jones.

That said I do agree that JJF really marked the moment that the direction of the band sans Brian was headed. From that moment on it was clear that Keith was fully at the helm with regards to the musical direction of the band. Jagger obviously was the other major player, but the early Brian era was audibly coming to an end and JJF signaled that change in direction more so than any other song of that time.

At least that's the way I hear it.

Riffy

...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&...&&&&"When all government...in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided...” Thomas Jefferson&&&&"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows us that as a government grows, liberty decreases." — Thomas Jefferson&&&&&&&&We're not old men.We don't bother about petty morals--Keef&&&&Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth. &&-- George Burns&&&&&&I ain't no leftist!-Bob Dylan&&&&"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce

IP Logged

texile
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #11 - May 22nd, 2008 at 9:46pm
i agree with corgi....
although i appreciate the early stuff in a historical sense -
the stones really kicked in around 68 when keith and mick were both developing their own styles..
jagger acquired that snarl and growl - an edgier vocal ....

but corgi, the real question is:
when did he lose that voice?
i say with she's the boss.

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #12 - May 22nd, 2008 at 10:26pm

Now, for me and my taste, I just don't agree with this at all.  The early Stones records are the essence of rock 'n' roll - they create the rock 'n' roll band (much more than the Beatles did) as a concept on those first five albums and their attendant singles, they kick the living shit out of most of the songs they cover, ratcheting up the jittery white-boy quotient and adrenalizing the swing, they ramp the blues into something that Caucasians could relate to, and baby, that IS rock and roll.  They launched about a million garage bands, who were all definitely playing rock and roll music, and the Stones caused riots, not just hysterical girl riots but violent boy-type, Guns and Roses stadium destroying riots, because people were freaking out so hard at their massive awesome rock and roll.  All before they even really started writing their own songs exclusively.  Seriously, I consider Out of Our Heads and NOW! as major and important rock 'n' roll statements as I do Let It Bleed or Sticky Fingers, if not Beggar's and Exile.

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #13 - May 22nd, 2008 at 10:31pm
Nasty Habits wrote on May 22nd, 2008 at 10:26pm:

Now, for me and my taste, I just don't agree with this at all.  The early Stones records are the essence of rock 'n' roll - they create the rock 'n' roll band (much more than the Beatles did) as a concept on those first five albums and their attendant singles, they kick the living shit out of most of the songs they cover, ratcheting up the jittery white-boy quotient and adrenalizing the swing, they ramp the blues into something that Caucasians could relate to, and baby, that IS rock and roll.  They launched about a million garage bands, who were all definitely playing rock and roll music, and the Stones caused riots, not just hysterical girl riots but violent boy-type, Guns and Roses stadium destroying riots, because people were freaking out so hard at their massive awesome rock and roll.  All before they even really started writing their own songs exclusively.  Seriously, I consider Out of Our Heads and NOW! as major and important rock 'n' roll statements as I do Let It Bleed or Sticky Fingers, if not Beggar's and Exile.

I agree, I agree, I agree!! Beautifully stated.  Smiley

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #14 - May 23rd, 2008 at 1:27am
JJF
....the sound, Jaggers vocals, and even the video is when, in fact, The Rolling Stones became "The Stones" as we now know them.

From Jaggers dance, singing, and attitude to Charlie's drums   ....Jumpin Jack Flash is when The Stones became 100% Stones.

Before this it was a build-up. You can see them evolving and hear it in their music coming in pieces, step by step, not fully 100% until the release and video of Jumpin Jack Flash.

*"Satisfaction" was the birth of The Stones per say and Jumpin Jack Flash is when they became fully all in place as we know them now.

Ian
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2008 at 1:32am by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #15 - May 23rd, 2008 at 5:40am
Pretty well put Ian. I'm also sure their "maturity" was due to the extraordinary times in which they existed in. As i've said many times when bagging the Beatles, they may have been ultra hip in 67, but the satin pirate suits looked pretty lame by 68 compared with Jimbo's leather pants and Hendrix's sexual guitar antics and the "dirty hippy" type of "every-man" that was coming from the U.S, particularly the West Coast. It's almost hard to comprehend the change in everyone, let alone the Stones, from 67 - 69 or so. And it was a natural evolution for our band, i feel. From the 70's on i feel they became more a trend band. Maybe that was Jagger trying to stay "modern", i dont know.

And as the 70's moved on, Jagger developed a whiny vocal style that i adored. Mainly on SF, Exile & GHS. After that, i think he was playing around a bit, most evident (i reckon) on SG where he's not really being himself, but acting different parts (which i guess, is what a singer should do). However, by Emotional Rescue, he was fooling even himself. He was being all things, but Jagger. Cockney rebel. Max Romeo. Trans Atlantic dude. Then, by Dirty Work - well, wtf was he on that! Growling and snarling so much it was ridiculous. Over pronouncing things. He seemed to be putting in too much effort instead of just singing. Also, by DW, i think he was trying to "toughen" up his voice to appear more aggressive, macho & "with it" against the new onslaught of heavy metal shriekers.

But yeah, JJF - cool shit.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #16 - May 23rd, 2008 at 6:01am
I respectfully disagree  you made a grown man cry

For me, the first album is the most played and the first four easily compare to the so-called "Big 4".  They never rocked any harder than they did on "Route 66".

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

speedfreakjive
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #17 - May 23rd, 2008 at 9:21am
Nasty Habits wrote on May 22nd, 2008 at 10:26pm:

Now, for me and my taste, I just don't agree with this at all.  The early Stones records are the essence of rock 'n' roll - they create the rock 'n' roll band (much more than the Beatles did) as a concept on those first five albums and their attendant singles, they kick the living shit out of most of the songs they cover, ratcheting up the jittery white-boy quotient and adrenalizing the swing, they ramp the blues into something that Caucasians could relate to, and baby, that IS rock and roll.  They launched about a million garage bands, who were all definitely playing rock and roll music, and the Stones caused riots, not just hysterical girl riots but violent boy-type, Guns and Roses stadium destroying riots, because people were freaking out so hard at their massive awesome rock and roll.  All before they even really started writing their own songs exclusively.  Seriously, I consider Out of Our Heads and NOW! as major and important rock 'n' roll statements as I do Let It Bleed or Sticky Fingers, if not Beggar's and Exile.

you make good points, but IMO they at least had more of a pop sensibility before JJF, hence the absence of a great album before Beggars Banquet, where there were great singles but not great albums, very good albums, but not great like Let It Bleed and Exile.
BTW I was referring to the sound of the band, which surely undeniably 'rocked up' from 1968 onwards, with more distortion on guitars, more aggressive vocals etc

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #18 - May 23rd, 2008 at 5:20pm

you make good points, but IMO they at least had more of a pop sensibility before JJF, hence the absence of a great album before Beggars Banquet, where there were great singles but not great albums, very good albums, but not great like Let It Bleed and Exile.
BTW I was referring to the sound of the band, which surely undeniably 'rocked up' from 1968 onwards, with more distortion on guitars, more aggressive vocals etc
[/quote]

I agree. Prior to Beggars, the Stones were, IMO, a great singles band. In fact, thats what most of the better groups were - evan the Beatles. Rubber Soul is when they made the leap to producing truly great LP's.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #19 - May 23rd, 2008 at 5:27pm
" Word on the street that Maroon 5's lead singer is due for a similar voice change "

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)