Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
B2B LOVE (Read 5,059 times)
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

New York
B2B LOVE
May 18th, 2008 at 2:48pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
After many years of rearranging and testing, and regretting that the quality (or lack thereof) of my life allows me time for such trivial matters, I have finally stumbled upon an acceptable Bridges To Babylon running order:

ASMB
Gunface
You Don't Have To Mean It
OOC
SOM
Already Over Me
Too Tight
Thief In The Night
How Can I Stop

The deleted:
Flip The Switch is a good tune but the lame lyrics cannot be overlooked
Low Down isn't bad but not necessary
Juiced sounds a bit forced and is 2 minutes too long
Always Suffering just sounds too clean

Still, a very good, if overproduced album overall - best post-TY effort IMO.

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Re: B2B LOVE
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2008 at 5:15pm
Quote:
After many years of rearranging and testing, and regretting that the quality (or lack thereof) of my life allows me time for such trivial matters, I have finally stumbled upon an acceptable Bridges To Babylon running order:

ASMB
Gunface
You Don't Have To Mean It
OOC
SOM
Already Over Me
Too Tight
Thief In The Night
How Can I Stop

The deleted:
Flip The Switch is a good tune but the lame lyrics cannot be overlooked
Low Down isn't bad but not necessary
Juiced sounds a bit forced and is 2 minutes too long
Always Suffering just sounds too clean

Still, a very good, if overproduced album overall - best post-TY effort IMO.

already over me
always suffering
and
how can i stop
top anything from dirty work.

period.

You rock!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2 - May 18th, 2008 at 5:22pm
I like the whole album - maybe Lowdown, Already Over Me and Juiced are a bit short of being top notch, but they only really suffer by comparison.

cant understand why so many dislike 'Always Suffering'. I think its excellent.

Best Stones album post Tattoo You and the 1-2 Keith finale is a masterful bit of sequencing.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2008 at 5:40pm
Always Suffering and Already Over Me boast some classic Jagger vocals and are two of my favorite Stones tunes of the past 20 years.  Hell, I even love Might As Well Get Juiced. The only song I'm not that crazy about from Bridges To Babylon is Lowdown.

What can I say, B2B just has a special place in my heart.  Cool

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2008 at 6:37pm
Could never understand why ya all don't like this album..

Of course it doesn't stand up to Sticky, Bleed, or Exile

But the best in the "Modern Era"

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Tampa Bay
Reply #5 - May 18th, 2008 at 7:08pm
I absolutely can't stand might as well get juiced and don't like the drums in thief in the night. Other than that It's a great album, but the choruses of already over me and always suffering sound a bit too similar.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2008 at 7:48pm
[quote author=Gazza link=1211140103/0#2 date=1211149364

Keith finale is a masterful bit of sequencing. [/quote]

thief in the night never really grabbed me....
how can i stop
well
thats another story

don't go postal on me now gazza...........

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - May 18th, 2008 at 8:20pm
Always liked that album.  Haven't spun it in years, will have to go give it a good listen.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Aussie land
Reply #8 - May 19th, 2008 at 7:11am
Might as well get juiced is my fave track off B2B. It's Little Red Rooster meets drum n bass. It's the blues on exstasy.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #9 - May 19th, 2008 at 8:23am
Good record.  It's no Dirty Work, but it's much more interesting than boring old by-the-numbers Voodoo Lounge.  I prefer Already Over Me to Always Suffering, though.   Just by the virtue of the fact that two of its numbers absolutely killed (and took on a new life of their own) live is to me proof that it is more of a "real" Stones LP than any of the Steel Wheels and late projects.  It's too long, so it loses its shape by the end, but it's almost coherent, which is more than I can say about any post-DW Stones LP.  If you don't count Stripped, the best of them.

IP Logged

mmdog
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #10 - May 19th, 2008 at 9:37am

I've always dug Juiced also.  I wonder if people would dig the Flip The Switch lyrics more if they realized they were penned by Keith?

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #11 - May 19th, 2008 at 10:41am
Good question.  Personally I've never had a problem with the Flip the Switch lyric.  Think it's one of the more interesting of the "modern" era in fact.  Everybody seems to cringe over the turkey and the stuffing line, but come on, it's weird, but it's no "Sharks will cry".   Within the context of the song it just seems to mean "I ate/lived well, even well enough to leave a legacy, so I don't care if I die or not".   "I'm not going to burn in hell/I've cased the joint and I know it well" and "What would it take to bury me?/I can't wait to see" are badass blues brags in an honorable tradition.  At least the song is about something (death) other than the norm (sex). 
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2008 at 10:48am by Nasty Habits »  

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #12 - May 19th, 2008 at 10:49am
Gunface is a gem.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #13 - May 20th, 2008 at 6:38am
"I like Lowdown too, especially the longer version on Marko's "Pirates of the Vaults."   "

Aha, does it mean there are some B2B outtakes I missed ? I was one of the dudes who sent $50 to that Dutch thief at the time B2B was released in September 2007...

Anyway, yes, best modern Stones album by a country mile, for all the reasons above. I don't like "Always Suffering" either, especally the chorus that sounds a bit ''common' and to some extent it spoils the otherwise stellar Already Over Me too.

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #14 - May 20th, 2008 at 9:03am
Yes, I think there's an alt version of "Juiced" on that set too.  I'd email you an mp3 but my hard drive is in storage at the moment.  Can anyone help gotda?

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #15 - May 20th, 2008 at 9:06am
Thanks, it it on the tracker, maybe ?
Are these maybe from the so-called B2B Remixes ?

IP Logged

Honky Tonk Man
Rocks Off Regular

Blackwater, Hampshire
Reply #16 - May 20th, 2008 at 9:12am
Always really like Bridges To Babylon. Some interesting ideas - mostly pulled off. Keith's How Can I Stop is absolutely glorious and Flip The Switch is their greatest rocker since the 1970's. It was riff-tastic on the BTB tour!  Grin

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #17 - May 20th, 2008 at 10:44am
Has Anybody Seen My Baby? shocked the shit out of me the first time I heard it in the parking lot of my favorite pizzaria.  I didn't like the rap part, but quickly fell in love with the song soon after. I read a review once and the writer proclaimed that if the single had been released at the right time, it would have been the song of the summer 1997.  I tend to agree. 

I do not like Might As Well Get Juiced, but everything else on the album is tops. Why no Keith on Saint of Me?

All the raging guitars on Lowdown and Flip the Switch were up my alley in 97, and the album never left my side for two or three years.  When I get a new Stones album it stays in my current rotation for a very long time.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Scottfree
Rocks Off Regular

Ohiya
Reply #18 - May 20th, 2008 at 11:35am
I love Keef's dirty solo on Always Suffering......

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #19 - May 20th, 2008 at 12:04pm

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #20 - May 20th, 2008 at 12:27pm
Thanks ! Yes based on the names these are the versions that quickly came out afte B2B on the "Remixes" CDs, not sure we ever found out what the source was, it was suspected at at time that it was an outside hand that tweaked the released tracks.

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #21 - May 20th, 2008 at 12:50pm
Steel Wheels wrote on May 20th, 2008 at 10:44am:
Has Anybody Seen My Baby? shocked the shit out of me the first time I heard it in the parking lot of my favorite pizzaria.  I didn't like the rap part, but quickly fell in love with the song soon after. I read a review once and the writer proclaimed that if the single had been released at the right time, it would have been the song of the summer 1997.  I tend to agree.  

I do not like Might As Well Get Juiced, but everything else on the album is tops. Why no Keith on Saint of Me?

All the raging guitars on Lowdown and Flip the Switch were up my alley in 97, and the album never left my side for two or three years.  When I get a new Stones album it stays in my current rotation for a very long time.

If I remember correctly, Keith refused to be on Saint of Me because he wouldn't play w/the Charlie drum loop.  In retrospect, Mick should have realized that this was NOT a dance floor track but a classic rock radio/AAA/baby boomer winner, and he should have compromised, as the dance remix 12" of Saint of Me is one of their worse releases EVER (containing as it does Any Way You Look at It and several REALLY grim Saint of Me's).  It has long been my theory that a non-looped Saint of Me, released as a first single, would have solidly and smartly launched this record and paved the way for Anybody Seen My Baby as the second single.   

IP Logged

Poplar
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #22 - May 20th, 2008 at 1:44pm
threw this album on a few weeks ago (for the 1st time in ages).  enjoyed it.
"juiced" and "suffering" are the weakest tracks, imho.
i'll never forget the boys rolling up to th B@B presser in the car, carrying the boombox, singing the "oh, yeah - oh, yeah" line together.  they were lovely that day.  not unlike the Bigger Bang presser w/ that kick ass Brown Sugar.

We're fresh out of beer,&&could you answer the phone?&&well if you call this bliss&&well i'm leaving home

IP Logged

Rocks Off Regular

New York
Reply #23 - May 20th, 2008 at 8:12pm
Nasty Habits wrote on May 20th, 2008 at 12:50pm:
If I remember correctly, Keith refused to be on Saint of Me because he wouldn't play w/the Charlie drum loop.  In retrospect, Mick should have realized that this was NOT a dance floor track but a classic rock radio/AAA/baby boomer winner, and he should have compromised, as the dance remix 12" of Saint of Me is one of their worse releases EVER (containing as it does Any Way You Look at It and several REALLY grim Saint of Me's).  It has long been my theory that a non-looped Saint of Me, released as a first single, would have solidly and smartly launched this record and paved the way for Anybody Seen My Baby as the second single.  

Good point. Your observations on Stones albums are always interesting and well developed. Now write that book, will ya?!

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #24 - May 20th, 2008 at 9:18pm
LOL!  Look for We Pissed It Away Anywhere, Man:  How the Rolling Stones Sold Their Birthright for a Mess of Pottage in the 90s and All I Got Was This Lousy Concert T-Shirt by Nasty Habits coming to a web publisher near you!

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #25 - May 21st, 2008 at 12:07am
I was never "crazy" about B2B per say, but I did think it was a good album for the most part.

It was not a disappointment. It has a "twisty" or...sort of winded turns type of run to it as it plays along is the best way I can describe how the album plays. The production is definately all over this album and shows different approaches to creating or more to the point, recording a Stones tune.

The album has a cold, personal, introspective feel where as Voodoo Lounge had warm, warm summer nights fell all over it. VL had a "lets have a great time guys....it's the Stones" feel to it. Voodoo Lounge was a very lets get together together and party album where-as Bridges seemed to be for the purpose of listening to it by yourself, and on a colder rainy fall night.

These releases took two totally different directions in feel and style. B2B has Gunface. A true gem. A problem with B2B may be in that it lacks a true "playing together as a band" characteristic that is always a nice Stones quality. Again though B2B was an over all quality release that had some interesting stuff. 

Not the all time greatest album for me but I did enjoy it enough. I thought the album was a good album, just not my favorite Stones stuff is all. I was not nuts over it. It has it's own place on the shelf and I appreciated that in it. I thought it showed a complex side to the Stones, in a good way.

Ian
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2008 at 12:13am by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Reply #26 - May 21st, 2008 at 8:41pm
It's a Stones album. It's GREAT!!!!! What the fuck?

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Reply #27 - May 21st, 2008 at 8:41pm
ALSO A GREAT TOUR

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

gotdablouse
Rocks Off Regular

Paris, France
Reply #28 - May 22nd, 2008 at 6:36am
True, I'd go all the was as to say it was the last "real tour" before they became an oldies act, ah that friggin' 98 UK Tax affair...without that they would have never dared to tour in 1999 with no new album, on the plus side we got to see them in Arenas again, couldn't believe my luck in 04/1999 in San Jose when I was 20 feet away from the B-stage for Midnight Rambler...

IP Logged

CatsBanquet
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #29 - May 23rd, 2008 at 4:43am
I like  when they take some risks with "juiced" & the 3 Keith's songs.
I prefer "saint of me" to "shine a light" as rock/gospel.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)