Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Besides Altmont, Did the Stones ever stop?...Ian (Read 4,713 times)
Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Besides Altmont, Did the Stones ever stop?...Ian
May 18th, 2008 at 6:07am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I have an interesting question that may even be a bit of trivia. Of all the shows Stones have performed over the years was there ever a concert in which they had to stop performing for whatever reason and actually stop the show permanently? Such as say sudden illness or technical issues which prevented the show from going on any further?

We all know at Altmont this happend....and we all know what happened there.... Yikes! But was there ever another show in which they actually had to pull-out after actually hitting the stage and starting their set for one reason or another? Or was Altmont  the single, only one in which such a scenario occurred?

I have no recollection of any other show this happened.

Ian
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2008 at 6:10am by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Rhode Island
Re: Besides Altmont, Did the Stones ever stop?...I
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2008 at 6:59am
What about the bomb threat in Virginia last tour?  Further, at Altamont they did NOT cancel the show.  They stopped and started a couple of times but went on to finish the show.  The debut of Brown Sugar, for instance, was AFTER Meredith Hunter's death.
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2008 at 7:01am by lotsajizz »  

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2008 at 7:13am
i bet some of the early 60's shows were cut short or off because of over zealous fans or rowdy people throwing chairs and the like.

good question tho.  and i forgot all about that bob scare deal in virginia.

Ouch!

IP Logged

JoneseygirlUK
Rocks Off Regular

Flossie Jones rules Dahlings!!

Coventry U.K
Reply #3 - May 18th, 2008 at 7:18am
Gered Mankowitz records in his book Satisfaction that two concerts were stopped by sherriffs in America during the 1965 tour.This was due to health and safety concerns and very enthusiastic audiences leaping on stage.They would give the audience a couple of chances then pull the plug altogether.

IP Logged

cabledogg2
Rocks Off Regular

Maryland , USA
Reply #4 - May 18th, 2008 at 8:09am

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #5 - May 18th, 2008 at 8:57am
Ian Billen wrote on May 18th, 2008 at 6:07am:
I have an interesting question that may even be a bit of trivia. Of all the shows Stones have performed over the years was there ever a concert in which they had to stop performing for whatever reason and actually stop the show permanently? Such as say sudden illness or technical issues which prevented the show from going on any further?

We all know at Altmont this happend....and we all know what happened there.... Yikes! But was there ever another show in which they actually had to pull-out after actually hitting the stage and starting their set for one reason or another? Or was Altmont  the single, only one in which such a scenario occurred?

I have no recollection of any other show this happened.

Ian

As Jizzy said, they finished the show at Altamont. In fact, aside from the interruptions, it was a longer show than what they normally played on that tour. They never even left the stage, but two songs were restarted.

Plenty of shows in the mid 60's were abandoned. Several of them very famous ones, and some of them have been filmed.

The most obvious one I can think of from 1964 was the infamous Kurhaus show at Scheveningen near The Hague (their first show overseas) on 8.8.64. There's plenty of riot footage of that one. It lasted about 4 songs.

Similarly the show in Blackpool on 25.7.64 saw the Stones run for their lives after the crowd rioted (not helped by Keith kicking one of them in the face for spitting at Brian) and a show here in Belfast six days later which ended after 4 songs when the police ordered the Stones to stop as the crowd's behaviour was out of control. Several girls were carried out of the Ulster hall in straightjackets. Yet, the Stones played a show 30 miles north in Ballymena later the same evening which passed off without incident.

The 1966 Royal Albert Hall show was also abandoned after about 20 minutes due to a riot (immortalised in the 'Have You Seen your Mother' promo video), - for some reason the 'Got Live if you want it' LP was trumpeted by Decca as having been taken from that show, which wasnt the case for the most part. The RAH banned rock concerts for a very long time after that incident.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

TenThousandMotels
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2008 at 10:06am
Those were some cool riots.

I like the story of that concert in Boston that almost didn't even get started.  The one where the State cops picked them up at the State line.

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #7 - May 18th, 2008 at 10:20am
TTM, please report in on the show last night, post haste!

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

TenThousandMotels
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 18th, 2008 at 10:27am
Nellcote wrote on May 18th, 2008 at 10:20am:
TTM, please report in on the show last night, post haste!

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

See closed poll.
smoking more weed is good for your health

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #9 - May 18th, 2008 at 11:39am

Keith's on stage electrocution - Sacramento '65.

Interesting stuff Ronnie!
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2008 at 11:41am by left shoe shuffle »  

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #10 - May 18th, 2008 at 11:52am
what a surprise...the gimme shelter movie makes me believe they cut the show short because of all the madness.  i always thought they played 4-7 songs...at the most.
does anyone know the full setlist?

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #11 - May 18th, 2008 at 11:55am
Quote:
what a surprise...the gimme shelter movie makes me believe they cut the show short because of all the madness.  i always thought they played 4-7 songs...at the most.

www.rocksoff.org/setlistspage.htm

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #12 - May 18th, 2008 at 12:04pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on May 18th, 2008 at 11:55am:
Quote:
what a surprise...the gimme shelter movie makes me believe they cut the show short because of all the madness.  i always thought they played 4-7 songs...at the most.

www.rocksoff.org/setlistspage.htm

thanks.  i guess i should look beyond my nose once in awhile.

carry on.

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #13 - May 18th, 2008 at 12:13pm
I came to realize at the Va Concert how professional Mick Jagger is.  Blank Frigging StareI thought the concert was over, I did not think the Stones were coming back on. Think about it, THE ROLLING STONES, were held up cause some dumb ass Kiss my undercover ass phoned in a bomb threat. They ,The Stones,   had every right to say, ok It's over  Retarded postfor you bumpkins, were off to NC. As it was we missed Keith's set Are you fucking serious?. Don't get me wrong that was a great disappointment missing anything you made a grown man cry. I hope some day some how the asshole  Kiss my undercover asswho did that pays........I'm stilled pissed off about missing those songs. You guys know how much goes into going to a show. My feeling is someone did not have tickets or their girlfriend or boyfriend went with someone else :funny.

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #14 - May 18th, 2008 at 3:44pm
Yep, ONLY in Virginia.... Roll Eyes Angry Well, maybe not. But we had been making national news for stupid things {one was the $50 computer "giveaway" that resulted in a major stampede that injured a lot of people. Stupid, stupid. They really thought only 500 people would show up for those 500 computers.... Roll Eyes} And this is our dumbass... Kiss my undercover ass Embarrassed

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

tookthatname
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #15 - May 18th, 2008 at 8:33pm
one thing i noticed right away at the virginia show, well in the chat for the virginia show, was that they told ronnie to get mick, not keith to get mick. I think keith would have wanted to fight someone, or gone to the mic and said the wrong thing, well maybe not wrong but unprofessional before getting mick. It was handled well in that way

thanks to stonesdoug for calling that show in
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2008 at 9:21pm by tookthatname »  

IP Logged

BONOISLOVE
Rocks Off Regular

The world
Reply #16 - May 18th, 2008 at 10:11pm
Interesting stuff Ronnie!

IP Logged

vox12string
Rocks Off Regular

Australia
Reply #17 - May 18th, 2008 at 10:37pm
1989 Aug 31, Philadelphia, the first stadium gig after the big sleep, power went off during Shattered, stayed off for 10 mins but they continued after that. Didn't do Shattered for the rest of Steel Wheels

IP Logged

smokeydusky
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #18 - May 19th, 2008 at 12:56am
vox12string wrote on May 18th, 2008 at 10:37pm:
1989 Aug 31, Philadelphia, the first stadium gig after the big sleep, power went off during Shattered, stayed off for 10 mins but they continued after that. Didn't do Shattered for the rest of Steel Wheels

1969 Oakland -- electrical problems.  Resumed with acoustic set.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #19 - May 19th, 2008 at 1:50am
Wow, very good info here. Thank you Gazza for all the facts, as well as everyone eles.

How could I of forgotten those earlier Stones 60's shows they had to stop on. I remember the cops pulling the curtains shut after a basic riot in the B&W footage.

Also I did not know The Stones finished the show at Altmont. The movie gave the indication the show was cut short...  This is why I always thought that it was. I realize they kept playing after Meridith Hunters death (they didn't really see what happened) but did not know they finished the whole show.

Maybe it seemed more humanitarian in that having the editing to impose the idea they cut that show short.

Thanks everyone.

Ian
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2008 at 1:52am by Ian Billen »  

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #20 - May 19th, 2008 at 6:24am
>How could I of forgotten those earlier Stones 60's shows they had to stop on. I remember the cops pulling the curtains shut after a basic riot in the B&W footage.

yep - thats the Kurhaus show in the Hague in August 1964 that I mentioned. Theres actually an audience recording of that show. Totally unlistenable of course.

>Also I did not know The Stones finished the show at Altmont. The movie gave the indication the show was cut short...  This is why I always thought that it was. I realize they kept playing after Meridith Hunters death (they didn't really see what happened) but did not know they finished the whole show.

Yeah - in the film you can see them finishing with Street Fighting Man and then splitting for the helicopter (which was filled way beyond what would be deemed to be a safe capacity). Thats basically how the show finished. The Meredith Hunter incident actually took place during the 7th song (Under My Thumb) - they played eight more songs after it. To their credit, as many an act would have understandably fled. Its not really highlighted in the film, but the Grateful Dead were supposed to also perform towards the end of the bill (just before the Stones) but withdrew after hearing about the trouble that had gone on during the day.

« Last Edit: May 19th, 2008 at 6:57am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #21 - May 19th, 2008 at 6:52am
Their first gig in Athens back in 1967 was eventful... Just four days before the coup, Mick trying to hand out flowers to the crowd, police considering the red carnations a provocative move and all hell breaking loose before the gig was finished...

FotiniD  
IP Logged

tookthatname
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #22 - May 19th, 2008 at 6:32pm
In Cleveland on the Steel Wheels tour there was a intense but quick storm (tornadoes, hail, winds that nearly flipped my car driving a few blocks from the stadium) earlier in the day. tore up the "soft" (banners etc,) part of the stage, but it cleared up for show time.

Wonder if there were ever any pauses or delays for weather at any shows
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2008 at 7:25pm by tookthatname »  

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #23 - May 19th, 2008 at 9:46pm
tookthatname wrote on May 19th, 2008 at 6:32pm:
In Cleveland on the Steel Wheels tour there was a intense but quick storm (tornadoes, hail, winds that nearly flipped my car driving a few blocks from the stadium) earlier in the day. tore up the "soft" (banners etc,) part of the stage, but it cleared up for show time.

I am guessing your joking here.     ...Come now, we all know better.

Ian

IP Logged

tookthatname
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #24 - May 19th, 2008 at 10:07pm
Ian Billen wrote on May 19th, 2008 at 9:46pm:

Ian

not joking at all.

I grew up 1 block from Lake Erie. about the same distance as the stadium, but east of it.you get really bad storm fronts that come off the lake every so often. usually its just te front thats like that and the actual storm isn't. but for 15 minutes to 1/2 hour all hell breaks loose.

actually a storm just as bad came through the same weekend a year later. the suburb just east of cleveland was without power for a week. i was hitchhiking trying to get away from it and the wind was so bad that i was hanging on to a freeway sign to keep from being blown away. ran to a bar to wait it out. when i came back out the freeway sign was gone.
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2008 at 10:37pm by tookthatname »  

IP Logged

tookthatname
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #25 - May 20th, 2008 at 12:11am
maybe i should have made it clearer, the bad part of the storm was about 7 or 8 hours before the show

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #26 - May 20th, 2008 at 3:54am
tookthatname wrote on May 19th, 2008 at 10:07pm:

Ian

not joking at all.

I grew up 1 block from Lake Erie. about the same distance as the stadium, but east of it.you get really bad storm fronts that come off the lake every so often. usually its just te front thats like that and the actual storm isn't. but for 15 minutes to 1/2 hour all hell breaks loose.

actually a storm just as bad came through the same weekend a year later. the suburb just east of cleveland was without power for a week. i was hitchhiking trying to get away from it and the wind was so bad that i was hanging on to a freeway sign to keep from being blown away. ran to a bar to wait it out. when i came back out the freeway sign was gone.

I see. It was colder that day. I was at the show but live over an hour away. I gotta say where we were all day the sky's were completely blue. I even remarked that there was not a cloud in sight. Anyway, the show was nothing short of being total raucous power Stones.

Ian

IP Logged

tookthatname
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #27 - May 21st, 2008 at 3:27pm
Ian Billen wrote on May 20th, 2008 at 3:54am:
tookthatname wrote on May 19th, 2008 at 10:07pm:

Ian

not joking at all.

I see. It was colder that day. I was at the show but live over an hour away. I gotta say where we were all day the sky's were completely blue. I even remarked that there was not a cloud in sight. Anyway, the show was nothing short of being total raucous power Stones.

Ian

HHmmm... I remember probably one of the 2 bad shows i ever saw them do. so cold Ronnie was having trouble playing because he was wearing gloves. they didn't catch a groove till 2000/light years - sympathy.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)