Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89
Send Topic Print
Anything Dylan  on RO... Part 5d (Read 511,973 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Anything Dylan  on RO... Part 5d
Reply #2125 - Oct 14th, 2016 at 3:14pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Bob Dylan Won The Nobel Prize In Literature. Here’s What He Wrote About New Orleans

OCTOBER 13, 2016  by: SAM D'ARCANGELO

Bob Dylan, the influential singer-songwriter who was declared the voice of a generation on too many occasions to count, has been awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature. In its citation for the honor, the Swedish Academy noted that Dylan, “created new poetic expression within the great American song tradition.”

The decision marks the first time the award has been bestowed upon someone whose primary artistic output is musical. Past winners have all been writers in the traditional sense, from T.S. Eliot, William Butler Yeats and George Bernard Shaw to Ernest Hemingway, Pablo Neruda and Jean-Paul Sartre. It also marks the first time that an American has recieved the honor in 23 years, with the last being Toni Morrison in 1993.

While Dylan is best known for his varied—yet almost always beautiful—songwriting, he has proven himself to be a very capable writer in the traditional literary sense as well. Most New Orleanians, and other lovers of the Crescent City, are probably familiar with his line, “There are a lot of place I like, but I like New Orleans better.” It’s a sentiment shared by countless people in this town, but it’s only small part of a much larger passage on New Orleans from Dylan’s 2004 memoir, Chronicles, Volume One. Today seems like as good a day as any to take a look at the full passage, which captures the city’s glory in a way that few others could equal.

From Chronicles, Volume One:

“The first thing you notice about New Orleans are the burying grounds – the cemeteries – and they’re a cold proposition, one of the best things there are here. Going by, you try to be as quiet as possible, better to let them sleep. Greek, Roman, sepulchres- palatial mausoleums made to order, phantomesque, signs and symbols of hidden decay – ghosts of women and men who have sinned and who’ve died and are now living in tombs. The past doesn’t pass away so quickly here. You could be dead for a long time.

The ghosts race towards the light, you can almost hear the heavy breathing spirits, all determined to get somewhere. New Orleans, unlike a lot of those places you go back to and that don’t have the magic anymore, still has got it. Night can swallow you up, yet none of it touches you. Around any corner, there’s a promise of something daring and ideal and things are just getting going. There’s something obscenely joyful behind every door, either that or somebody crying with their head in their hands. A lazy rhythm looms in the dreamy air and the atmosphere pulsates with bygone duels, past-life romance, comrades requesting comrades to aid them in some way. You can’t see it, but you know it’s here. Somebody is always sinking. Everyone seems to be from some very old Southern families. Either that or a foreigner. I like the way it is.

There are a lot of places I like, but I like New Orleans better. There’s a thousand different angles at any moment. At any time you could run into a ritual honoring some vaguely known queen. Bluebloods, titled persons like crazy drunks, lean weakly against the walls and drag themselves through the gutter. Even they seem to have insights you might want to listen to. No action seems inappropriate here. The city is one very long poem. Gardens full of pansies, pink petunias, opiates. Flower-bedecked shrines, white myrtles, bougainvillea and purple oleander stimulate your senses, make you feel cool and clear inside.

Everything in New Orleans is a good idea. Bijou temple-type cottages and lyric cathedrals side by side. Houses and mansions, structures of wild grace. Italianate, Gothic, Romanesque, Greek Revival standing in a long line in the rain. Roman Catholic art. Sweeping front porches, turrets, cast-iron balconies, colonnades- 30-foot columns, gloriously beautiful- double pitched roofs, all the architecture of the whole wide world and it doesn’t move. All that and a town square where public executions took place. In New Orleans you could almost see other dimensions. There’s only one day at a time here, then it’s tonight and then tomorrow will be today again. Chronic melancholia hanging from the trees. You never get tired of it. After a while you start to feel like a ghost from one of the tombs, like you’re in a wax museum below crimson clouds. Spirit empire. Wealthy empire. One of Napoleon’s generals, Lallemaud, was said to have come here to check it out, looking for a place for his commander to seek refuge after Waterloo. He scouted around and left, said that here the devil is damned, just like everybody else, only worse. The devil comes here and sighs. New Orleans. Exquisite, old-fashioned. A great place to live vicariously. Nothing makes any difference and you never feel hurt, a great place to really hit on things. Somebody puts something in front of you here and you might as well drink it. Great place to be intimate or do nothing. A place to come and hope you’ll get smart – to feed pigeons looking for handouts”

https://www.offbeat.com/news/bob-dylan-won-nobel-prize-literature-heres-wrote-ne...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #2126 - Oct 15th, 2016 at 8:20am
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bob-dylan/2016/empire-polo-grounds-indio-ca-2bfd74...

Desert Trips #2 has the same setlist as 3! with minor change-up for the encore.

Instead of Masters Of War...they played
Like a Rolling Stone
and
Why Try To Change Me Now, a Cy Coleman cover

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #2127 - Oct 16th, 2016 at 11:46am
I'm hoping the Nobel win means that he'll put away his Frank Sinatra fantasia (as he already did at Desert Trip) and pull out one or two more world-class albums.  If that mission keeps him off the road for a while...maybe that's a good thing.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2128 - Oct 22nd, 2016 at 12:01pm

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #2129 - Oct 30th, 2016 at 10:15am

Just because....

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #2130 - Nov 5th, 2016 at 9:25am
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/587622/lifestyle/artandculture/a-vision-of-...

A vision of America: Bob Dylan's London art show

Bob Dylan, music legend and Nobel laureate, is also a prolific painter whose works depicting the landscapes and culture of the United States are now the focus of a major London exhibition.

Around 200 paintings by the US singer-songwriter, produced by the 75-year-old in the last two years, are on show from Saturday at the Halcyon Gallery in the British capital's plush Mayfair district.

The collection of oil, acrylic, and watercolour paintings reveals a different side to Robert Allen Zimmerman, an icon of 20th century US popular music, whose poetic lyrics earned him the Nobel Prize for literature last month, to much surprise.

Dylan announced last week that he would travel to Stockholm to receive the prize, making the timing of this exhibition all the more apt.

"It's a great honour for us hosting the exhibition and for him to have received that honour at the same time," Paul Green, president of the Halcyon Gallery, told AFP.

Dylan began exploring the visual arts in the early 1960s. He designed the cover of the 1968 album "Music from Big Pink" by Canadian roots-rock group The Band.

More recently, his works have been exhibited in Milan and New York.

"Dylan has been passionate about art since he first moved to New York and was taken by his girlfriend Suze Rotolo around museums," said Green.

Since then he has not stopped painting, using his numerous tours to sketch out the homeland which he describes so often in his songs.

'The Beaten Path'

The exhibition, entitled "The Beaten Path", retraces the singer's travels across the four corners of the United States, from its supercities to its immense expanses of desert.

"The common theme of these works having something to do with the American landscape — how you see it while criss-crossing the land," Dylan explains in a written introduction to the exhibition.

More specifically: "staying out of the mainstream and travelling back road, free-born style".

In San Francisco, Dylan chose to paint a seafood seller in Chinatown, rather than the city's endless Victorian houses or its skyscrapers.

"The San Francisco Chinatown street stands merely two blocks away from corporate, windowless buildings. But these cold, giant structures have no meaning for me in the world that I see or choose to see," explains Dylan.

One picture shows the Manhattan Bridge in New York City, whose imposing metal structure rises up between two red brick buildings.

Another features Roy's motel, on the famous Route 66 in the middle of California's Mojave Desert, which Dylan brings to life with cartoon-like brushstrokes.

And there is the little doughnut shop, whose red and yellow front window leaps out of the canvas thanks to the striking use of acrylics.

One of the standout works of the exhibition shows an "endless highway" — a clear allegory of the artist's life: always on the road, between two towns, two hotels.

"This is the largest painting that Dylan has ever undertaken, it's monumental on every scale," said Green.

"This is the never-ending road... almost a rollercoaster of Dylan's life." — Agence France-Presse
- See more at: http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/587622/lifestyle/artandculture/a-vision-of-...

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2131 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 10:36am
Massive Bob Dylan Archive Opens in Oklahoma

Tulsa collection available to researchers, with planned public center in the works

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/massive-bob-dylan-archive-opens-in-oklaho...

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2132 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 10:49am

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2133 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 10:51am

IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #2134 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 2:34pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Apr 5th, 2017 at 10:49am:

Well, third album in a row after "Tempest" that sucks big time to be honest. But hey, he moves in mysterious ways, doesn't he? Imagine him going back to his roots, just like the Stones did with their last album. That COULD be awesome too.

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2135 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 8:39pm
Tumbling Dijs wrote on Apr 5th, 2017 at 2:34pm:
Well, third album in a row after "Tempest" that sucks big time to be honest

Grin  LOL

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #2136 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 9:47pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Apr 5th, 2017 at 10:36am:
Massive Bob Dylan Archive Opens in Oklahoma

Tulsa collection available to researchers, with planned public center in the works

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/massive-bob-dylan-archive-opens-in-oklaho...

what would woody say

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2137 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 9:51pm

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #2138 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 5:25pm

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2139 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 6:04pm
Really looking forward to this.  Some fabulous shows from that period. Minor gripe is that I'd have liked more songs from the amazing run of 14 shows at the Warfield in San Francisco in November 1980, but still its an amazingly comprehensive set.

If you order it from his official site, you get a bonus (2-CD) show from San Diego in November 1979.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #2140 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 7:25pm
Gazza wrote on Sep 21st, 2017 at 6:04pm:
Really looking forward to this.  Some fabulous shows from that period. Minor gripe is that I'd have liked more songs from the amazing run of 14 shows at the Warfield in San Francisco in November 1980, but still its an amazingly comprehensive set.

If you order it from his official site, you get a bonus (2-CD) show from San Diego in November 1979.

think i have one with jerry garcia from the warfield. yes that would have been nice

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2141 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 11:24am
Each time I watch this one I almost cry, really emotional, really great, love it, highly recommended

This is the speech. I watched it today for the first time

IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #2142 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 5:37pm
Not being a real great fan of Bob Live, yet 2 great versions of "Slow Train" and 2 great versions of "I Believe In You"
Also "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" is great, and "Making a Liar Out of Me (Rehearsal). This is just after a first listen. Hope I find more gems.

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #2143 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 10:07pm
I'm no believer, but I respect a good harmonica once in a while. 

IP Logged

KMC
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Bayonne, NJ
Reply #2144 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 6:12pm
Another Albert Grossman ripoff

We know Dylan dropped Grossman eventually for ripping him off.
Here's an interesting story of Grossman doing the same to another artist.
I didn't go back through the entire Dylan thread to see if it was mentioned before, but this was new to me.

http://www.unz.com/isteve/paul-pena-the-blind-composer-behind-steve-millers-jet-...

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2145 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 7:12pm

It’s Bob Dylan like you’ve never seen him. Featuring Michael Shannon as the Preacher, Trouble No More: A Musical Film premieres February 26 at 10PM

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2146 - Oct 20th, 2018 at 6:12pm
Bob Dylan’s ‘Blood on the Tracks’ as a rock opera? Jesus Christ...

Donald Clarke: The Who’s ‘Tommy’, ‘Quadrophenia’, Pink Floyd’s ‘The Wall’, Lloyd Webber. Enough
Fri, Oct 19, 2018, 06:00

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/bob-dylan-s-blood-on-the-tracks-as-a-rock-ope...

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2147 - Apr 20th, 2019 at 12:54pm
Check the video...

"This was right after he tripped over a monitor and almost took a nasty fall. "

Bob Dylan Warns Fans Taking Photos at Concert: ‘We Can Either Play or We Can Pose’

BY JACK PHILLIPS
April 19, 2019 Updated: April 19, 2019

https://www.theepochtimes.com/bob-dylan-slams-fan-in-concert-we-can-either-play-...

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2148 - May 30th, 2019 at 4:59pm
First Listen: Bob Dylan, 'The Rolling Thunder Revue: The 1975 Live Recordings'

Stream a 10-track sampler from the 14-disc box set
May 30, 20195:00 AM ET

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/30/727499115/first-listen-bob-dylan-the-rolling-thun...

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2149 - Jun 3rd, 2019 at 5:40pm
Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story By Martin Scorsese

Trailer

Netflix (june 12)

https://www.netflix.com/title/80221016

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)