Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 ... 89
Send Topic Print
Anything Dylan  on RO... Part 5d (Read 512,698 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Anything Dylan  on RO... Part 5d
Reply #2050 - Oct 24th, 2015 at 7:21pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
The setlists are very static. Usually its just song 13 that gets changed.

Still, on each of the two nights I got to see him play six songs I'd never seen him perform prior to this week. Even though last night was my 44th Dylan show. The Sinatra covers were really good and were well received. (two of them havent even been released yet). 'What'll I Do' and 'Autumn Leaves' were especially excellent.

Only three songs - She Belongs to Me (1965), Blowin In The Wind (1963) and Tangled Up in Blue (1975) were songs he'd written before 1997 (Lovesick was the only other pre-2000 song). Not exactly pandering to the warhorse element, good for him. Those four , 'Long And Wasted Years' (which is a real showstopper now) and the two covers mentioned earlier were my highlights. The third verse of 'Tangled Up In Blue' has been almost entirely rewritten as well. I've never heard 'She Belongs to Me' as magnificent as this - a stunning arrangement. 'Lovesick' is a blazing number to close the show.

Whoever cleared the phlegm out of Bob's throat deserves a Grammy for services to music. Its done wonders for his voice. These were the best Dylan shows I've seen in about a decade.

« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2015 at 7:30pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #2051 - Oct 24th, 2015 at 7:27pm
"cleared the phlegm out of his throat deserves a Grammy"...
How do you come up with this stuff Gazza.??!! LOL

I must admit though that he did sound much better when I saw him this year

IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #2052 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 4:43pm
Gazza wrote on Oct 24th, 2015 at 7:21pm:
The setlists are very static. Usually its just song 13 that gets changed.

Still, on each of the two nights I got to see him play six songs I'd never seen him perform prior to this week. Even though last night was my 44th Dylan show. The Sinatra covers were really good and were well received. (two of them havent even been released yet). 'What'll I Do' and 'Autumn Leaves' were especially excellent.

Only three songs - She Belongs to Me (1965), Blowin In The Wind (1963) and Tangled Up in Blue (1975) were songs he'd written before 1997 (Lovesick was the only other pre-2000 song). Not exactly pandering to the warhorse element, good for him. Those four , 'Long And Wasted Years' (which is a real showstopper now) and the two covers mentioned earlier were my highlights. The third verse of 'Tangled Up In Blue' has been almost entirely rewritten as well. I've never heard 'She Belongs to Me' as magnificent as this - a stunning arrangement. 'Lovesick' is a blazing number to close the show.

Whoever cleared the phlegm out of Bob's throat deserves a Grammy for services to music. Its done wonders for his voice. These were the best Dylan shows I've seen in about a decade.

Gonna see him 2 november in Eindhoven. Always wondered Gazza. If you had to choose between Dylan and the Stones, who would you pick?? I often thought about it, and I still don't know.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2053 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 6:42pm
I'd pick Bruce Springsteen, actually.

Do you mean as a live act?  Bruce. No question.

For a body of work, I think Dylan's hard to beat, to be honest. They're my three favourite artists though and its not a competition. I guess it just depends on the mood I'm in.

15-20 years ago I may have leaned more towards the Stones, but whereas the other two have continue to make records and develop and evolve as artists, the Stones have chosen to coast and go into a form of creative autopilot. A bit of a shame IMO as I think there was so much potential for them to go into interesting places as a studio band and a live act.

But having said all that, I've seen the Stones more times than any other act (50 shows) - with Dylan its 44 and Bruce is, I think, 37.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #2054 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 7:26pm
http://www.iol.co.za/tonight/music/dylan-leaves-london-crowd-on-its-feet-1.19349...

Bob Dylan played the 2 713 show of his 'Never Ending Tour' at London's iconic Royal Albert Hall on 21October.

The 74-year-old musician began the run of shows in 1988 and has vowed to carry on performing until his last breath and at his concert he displayed his adventurous approach to music and proved his command of the stage has not diminished.

Dylan is, of course, the man who revolutionised music and his classic songs are the most intelligent, adventurous and life-changing ones the rock world has ever seen. But you would not know that from his Royal Albert Hall show last night. Instead last night the world's most mercurial performer showed yet another side of his multi-faceted personality.

Dylan transformed himself into a croaking blues crooner, showcasing heavily his latest left-field album 'Shadows In The Night', a 10-track LP on which he covers 10 traditional pop standards made famous by Frank Sinatra.

But of course Dylan always does the unexpected and the unusual. This policy has often caused the fans heartache and misery. They can't understand why Bob can't faithfully play those great classic songs - full of the most exquisite poetry - that made him a legend.

I, too, had that problem until I came to terms with the fact these songs are his own creations and he can play them anyway he wants and that this zany troubadour is always looking for new challenges and musical expressions.

So last night we got a thimbleful of his greatest works interwoven like fine jewels among the Sinatra offerings and his lesser own compositions.

Among the Sinatra songs that Dylan delivered were 'The Night We Called It A Day', 'Autumn Leaves', 'Full Moon and Empty Arms' and 'What'll I Do'.

Other songs included his own more recent compositions such as the venomous 'Pay In Blood' - which saw Dylan spit out the lyrics like a mature Liam Gallagher - 'Scarlet Town' and 'Early Roman Kings' (all from 'Tempest') and he opened with 'Things Have Changed', which seemed as though Dylan wanted to put an exclamation mark on his new style.

Most songs were delivered in Dylan's new musical voice which rendered the songs, warm, friendly and highly melodic - in complete contrast to those performances where he would often mash, mangle and shred his most-loved tunes.

These songs performed by an incredibly tight and musically sophisticated five-piece band managed the impossible of turning the Royal Albert Hall into a small smokey blues club. Even if you were hundreds of metres from Dylan you would have felt just a few yards away from him.

His adoring disciples loved every minute and every note - with almost everyone adhering to the strict no photo or recording policy - and Dylan, who looked as cool as ever in white Nashville Skyline hat and long black frock coat, loved the respect they showed him.

Among the morsels of Dylan classics that he treated us to were his re-interpretations of 'She Belongs To Me', 'Tangled Up In Blue' and 'Blowin' In The Wind'. The latter, his world- changing protest song, was delivered in a rather jolly and jumpy waltz tempo many distant roads away from the original.

But it was a very poignant moment. The older fans in attendence and the folk that know their Dylan history would have realised that this harked back to the kind of protest songs that he would have wowed the audience with at his first Royal Albert Hall performance back in 1965 - a concert which changed the musical landscape forever.

IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #2055 - Oct 26th, 2015 at 2:27pm
Gazza wrote on Oct 25th, 2015 at 6:42pm:
I'd pick Bruce Springsteen, actually.

Do you mean as a live act?  Bruce. No question.

For a body of work, I think Dylan's hard to beat, to be honest. They're my three favourite artists though and its not a competition. I guess it just depends on the mood I'm in.

15-20 years ago I may have leaned more towards the Stones, but whereas the other two have continue to make records and develop and evolve as artists, the Stones have chosen to coast and go into a form of creative autopilot. A bit of a shame IMO as I think there was so much potential for them to go into interesting places as a studio band and a live act.

But having said all that, I've seen the Stones more times than any other act (50 shows) - with Dylan its 44 and Bruce is, I think, 37.

Of course, Bruce Springsteen, didn't see that coming LOL. Besides a couple of early songs, and of course "The Seeger Sessions", which is in my cd top 10, I have nothing with Bruce. To much muscles and posing I suppose. In fairness I must say I don't really know his work from the last 10-15 years very well.

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2056 - Oct 27th, 2015 at 7:18pm

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2057 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 10:27pm

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2058 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 8:25pm

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2059 - Nov 8th, 2015 at 10:18am
Dylan had a very pleasant and warm reunion with Mick Taylor (and his girlfriend, Marlies) last night backstage at his show in Amsterdam.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #2060 - Nov 8th, 2015 at 7:56pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Nov 2nd, 2015 at 8:25pm:

Lest anyone wonder...the complete nearly 8 minute track is on disc 9 track 17 (one of about 15 versions/cuts/takes of the song)

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2061 - Nov 14th, 2015 at 1:55pm
Enjoying a second listening of my 3-LP 180-gram vinyl of the Cutting Edge, also with 2CD with the same track list and a great booklet

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2062 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 6:32pm
If you forked out the crazy money for the 18-CD Cutting Edge, they've now made some bonus material available as a free download.....

And it's a mere 16-hour, 208-song collection on mp3 of Dylan's available concert recordings from 1965 which comprise this year's "Copyright Extension Collection".

In fairness, its nothing that hasnt been already bootlegged and the quality supposedly isnt an upgrade, but still....

... ... ...
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2063 - Dec 30th, 2015 at 5:40pm
Gazza wrote on Aug 9th, 2015 at 7:23am:
Brilliant!

That little pub "The Slaughtered Lamb" where you & I spent a couple of hours back in 2002 is just to the right of that photo, right on the corner. Is it still there?

I checked again and yes, it still there, this is a proof and as you can see I'm wearing the Rocksw Off t-shirt

Best wishes to all the Dylan fans here!

Joey? Voodoo?

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2064 - Jan 22nd, 2016 at 9:31pm
David Bowie walking the Soho with a Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #2065 - Jan 23rd, 2016 at 1:33am
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Jan 22nd, 2016 at 9:31pm:

nice salute to the photographer!!

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #2066 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 1:37pm

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2067 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 5:42pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Jan 22nd, 2016 at 9:31pm:

Its a copy of UNCUT with a free magazine that has a mock up of the H61 cover.

... ... ...
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #2068 - Mar 7th, 2016 at 2:37pm
new album and tour

http://bobdylan.com/on-tour/

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Check out Dylan and his '76 band doing Shelter From The Storm
Reply #2069 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 8:36pm
This is awesome live music.  Sounds like he's being backed up by the Clash.

He doesn't mess around, he's involved.

Spirit of '76.  Keep on truckin'.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Re: Check out Dylan and his '76 band doing Shelter From The Storm
Reply #2070 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 10:47pm
filmed for NBC special from fort collins colorado may 76. this needs to be released on blue ray!!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2071 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 1:07pm
"Hard Rain" Tv special. One of my favourite shows ever. That version of 'Idiot Wind' performed with his estranged wife in the wings (fresh after a heated confrontation pre-show)  is one of the most rancourous performances of any song you'll ever see

http://videosift.com/video/Bob-Dylan-Idiot-Wind-1976
« Last Edit: Apr 16th, 2016 at 1:09pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #2072 - Apr 18th, 2016 at 5:38pm
Nice find Gazza.  What a show, he's just got an edge to him there.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2073 - May 13th, 2016 at 9:10pm
http://wxrt.cbslocal.com/2016/05/13/keith-richards-on-desert-trip-concert-sharin...

Keith Richards On Desert Trip Concert, Sharing Stage With Bob Dylan “I’d Work with Bob in Hell or Heaven. I Love Him.”
May 13, 2016 3:49 PM By Marty Rosenbaum

https://cbswxrt2.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/keith-richards-946.jpgw=640&h=360&c...

For Keith Richards, the most astonishing aspect of the upcoming Desert Trip concert is simply coordinating travel plans for the artists.

Richards sat down for an interview with Rolling Stone and gave his thoughts about the event. He said, “I can’t believe we’re all going to be stuck in this little town together, I mean, never have we ever all in the same place at the same time.”

He elaborated revealing why the artists playing Desert Trip are able to connect with multiple generations. “It’s the songs. And I guess a genuineness about the feeling, about how people feel about music,” Richards said.

Even though the Rolling Stones have a pretty high stature themselves, Richards is still enamored with his fellow artists on the bill. On Bob Dylan (who will be sharing the stage with The Rolling Stones), “I’d work with Bob any[where]. I’d work with Bob in hell or heaven. I love him.”

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #2074 - May 14th, 2016 at 7:01am
I guess we can expect to hear the Stones & Dylan doing "Like a Rolling Stone" on the stage together. That would be awesome!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 ... 89
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)