Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 ... 89
Send Topic Print
Anything Dylan  on RO... Part 5d (Read 512,543 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Anything Dylan  on RO... Part 5d
Reply #1975 - Aug 27th, 2014 at 7:31am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Lo and behold.. North American tour dates...31 of 'em.

http://www.bobdylan.com/us/home#us/upcoming-dates

Tickets on sale, 5 or 6 September depending on venue

Oct 17-19 Seattle, Wa - Paramount
21 Portland, Or - Keller Auditorium
24-26 Los Angeles - Dolby Theatre
28-30 Oakland, Ca - Paramount

Nov 1 Denver - Bellco Theatre
4-6 Minneapolis - Orpheum
8-10 Chicago - Cadillac Palace Theatre
12 Cleveland - State Theatre
14 Boston - Orpheum
15 Providence - Performing Arts Centre
17-18 Toronto - Sony Centre
21-23 Philadelphia - Academy of Music
25 Washington - DAR Constitution Hall
26 Newark, NJ - Performing Arts Center
28-29, December 1-2 New York - Beacon Theatre

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #1976 - Aug 27th, 2014 at 1:21pm
Gazza wrote on Aug 27th, 2014 at 7:31am:
Lo and behold.. North American tour dates...31 of 'em.

http://www.bobdylan.com/us/home#us/upcoming-dates

Tickets on sale, 5 or 6 September depending on venue

Oct 17-19 Seattle, Wa - Paramount
21 Portland, Or - Keller Auditorium
24-26 Los Angeles - Dolby Theatre
28-30 Oakland, Ca - Paramount

Nov 1 Denver - Bellco Theatre
4-6 Minneapolis - Orpheum
8-10 Chicago - Cadillac Palace Theatre
12 Cleveland - State Theatre
14 Boston - Orpheum
15 Providence - Performing Arts Centre
17-18 Toronto - Sony Centre
21-23 Philadelphia - Academy of Music
25 Washington - DAR Constitution Hall
26 Newark, NJ - Performing Arts Center
28-29, December 1-2 New York - Beacon Theatre

academy dates werent on pollstar thats great because its real close. neil young will be there a couple nights in october. developing

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #1977 - Sep 7th, 2014 at 7:55pm
Gazza wrote on Aug 26th, 2014 at 4:05am:
Ka-fucking-boom!!!

The Basement Tapes Complete: The Bootleg Series Vol. 11(Deluxe Edition)

Deluxe Edition, 6-CD's !!! 138 songs and lavish book, etc.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Basement-Tapes-Complete-Bootleg/dp/B00MXILU3S/ref=sr_1...

Released November 4, around the same time as the already announced 'Lost on the River' various artists set of previously unrecorded Basement Tapes lyrics produced by T-Bone Burnette

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-River-The-Basement-Tapes/dp/B00MRKX8LE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=...

Shit!! I was about to preorder it in vinyl and WTF

"The Basement Tapes Raw is a 3 LP set of highlights from the complete 6CD box set collection."

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #1978 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 11:21am
Yes, only the 'highlights' are available on vinyl.

I guess the market for a box of about 12 LP's mostly full of  demos or Bob and the Band generally fucking about is deemed to be pretty limited

The 2-CD/3-LP version is aimed more at the wider public.

... ... ...
IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Champaign, IL.
Gazza I've been thinking about yer post about Dylan's not dark yet post for 2 years now..
Reply #1979 - Oct 20th, 2014 at 6:53pm
I agree with you that that song is not finished and could be his anthem.

Like thru and thru also.

Just wanna say both are great songs and so heart felt.

Just wish both of them could of been anthems.

Been drinking wine and listening to them both over and over tonight.

Heavy  cheers my brother...
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2014 at 8:33pm by Unholy Trinity »  

IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Rocks Off Regular

Champaign, IL.
Re: Gazza I've been thinking about yer post about Dylan's not dark yet post for 2 years now..
Reply #1980 - Oct 20th, 2014 at 7:30pm
I hate to say but I think Dylan's last 3 or 4 albums are better than the Stones...

Again I hate to say that since I think Stones are the greatest...

But Dylan is fucking Great in his old age and just getting better.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Gazza I've been thinking about yer post about Dylan's not dark yet post for 2 years now..
Reply #1981 - Oct 20th, 2014 at 8:12pm
What kinda hooch you drinkin' ?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #1982 - Oct 20th, 2014 at 9:24pm
steel driving hammer wrote on Oct 20th, 2014 at 7:30pm:
I hate to say but I think Dylan's last 3 or 4 albums are better than the Stones...

Again I hate to say that since I think Stones are the greatest...

But Dylan is fucking Great in his old age and just getting better.

I agree.

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #1983 - Nov 4th, 2014 at 11:34pm
Just returned from the Orpheum tonight from the first of Dylan's three shows here in Minneapolis. Largely unimpressed. Maybe it's me, but a good performer has to have some energy, and Bob's show lacked it completely. His band is very good, but almost too jazzy for my tastes.

But, as my friends and I were discussing on the way to the train station, it's $#@!in' Bob Dylan, and he can do whatever he wants!

Highlights for me included High Water, Simple Twist of Fate and She Belongs to Me. And of course, I can say that I have seen Dylan sing Blowin in the Wind again.....

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #1984 - Nov 7th, 2014 at 8:23am
Bob Dylan Wanted to Make an Album With the Beatles and Rolling Stones
"Keith and George thought it was fantastic," writes producer Glyn Johns. "Paul and Mick both said absolutely not."

Bob Dylan, circa 1965.
Val Wilmer/Getty

In his new memoir, Glyn Johns writes that Bob Dylan wanted to make an album with the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

BY ANDY GREENE | November 7, 2014

Few figures in rock history have a more impressive résumé than Glyn Johns. Throughout the 1960s the producer/engineer worked on albums by the Rolling Stones (Beggars Banquet, Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed), the Beatles (Let It Be, Abbey Road), the Who (Who's Next, Quadrophenia, The Who By Numbers), the Band (Stage Fright), Neil Young (Harvest), Eagles (Desperado, On the Border), the Clash (Combat Rock) and too many others to mention. His new book Sound Man hits shelves on November 13th and is full of amazing anecdotes from his 50-year career.

Perhaps the most surprising story comes from his brief encounter with Bob Dylan at a New York airport. Johns was traveling with Rolling Stone founder Jann Wenner, who had just completed his groundbreaking interview with Dylan. "[Dylan] asked me about the Beatles album I had just finished and was very complimentary about my work with the Stones over the years," Johns writes. "In turn, I babbled about how how much we had all been influenced by his work."

Dylan then dropped a bomb. "He said he had this idea to make a record with the Beatles and the Stones," John writes. "And he asked me if I would find out whether the others would be interested. I was completely bowled over. Can you imagine the three greatest influences on popular music in the previous decade making an album together?"

Johns quickly began working the phones. "Keith and George thought it was fantastic," he writes. "But they would since they were both huge Dylan fans. Ringo, Charlie and Bill were amicable to the idea as long as everyone else was interested. John didn't say a flat no, but he wasn't that interested. Paul and Mick both said absolutely not."

Needless to say, the plan didn't go forward. "I had it all figured out," writes Johns. "We would pool the best material from Mick and Keith, Paul and John, Bob and George, and then select the best rhythm section from the two bands to suit whichever songs we were cutting. Paul and Mick were probably, right, however I would have given anything to have given it a go."

Johns doesn't give the exact timeframe for this story, but he does indicate that Wenner was in the process of editing his interview with Dylan when they met at the airport. That would likely place this sometime in the summer of 1969. At the time, Dylan was just beginning to work on Self Portrait and was gearing up for his comeback performance with the Band at the Isle of Wight.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bob-dylan-album-with-beatles-and-rolling-...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #1985 - Nov 8th, 2014 at 4:34pm
Highlights from The Bootleg Series Vol. 11 (IMHO after a couple times listening)

A Fool Such As I
Baby Ain't That Fine
Be Careful of Stones That You Throw
Big River [Take 2]
Cool Water
I Don't Hurt Anymore
Rock, Salt and Nails
Song for Canada
Still in Town
Waltzing with Sin

Disc 4-6 terrible sound quality. Don't expect to find any hidden gems there.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #1986 - Nov 8th, 2014 at 8:38pm
Disc 6 is the one with lesser quality - hence the reason its listed as a bonus disc.

Many of the songs on Disc 4 are the same versions that were released on the original album. Cant see how they're 'terrible sound quality'

Disc 5 is the real find, for me. A reel that wasnt known of before, recorded AFTER Dylan cut 'John Wesley Harding' and which extends the sessions into 1968. The first ever version with The Band of 'Blowin' In The Wind', a lovely 'One too Many Mornings' similar to the live '66 arrangement and a fantastic cover of "Satisfied Mind" which Bob would cover with less success on 'Saved' in 1980. A lot of critically raves for 'Wild Wolf' (although admittedly it hasnt really registered with me THAT much yet) and stuff like 'Mary Lou' and '900 Miles' are terrific.

I'm a huge fan of The Basement Tapes sessions - so this is like manna from heaven for me, and is the one Bootleg Series release I've wanted above all others. It exceeds expectations.

I've always maintained that Dylan never SANG better than he did on these sessions, and this set absolutely vindicates that.

I really wish we'd got a fully developed take of 'I'm A Fool for You" - I've always loved that song. To the songs youve listed I'd add Roisin Le Beau. The French Girl, Belshazzar (check out Robbie's guitar licks!), the Auld Triangle and Joshua Gone Barbados to the list of excellent covers.

My favourite of all the covers though is Bob's take on 'I Forgot to Remember To Forget'.  Bob outsings Sun-era Elvis. And THAT is quite an achievement, in my eyes.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Mr. Yeats
Rocks Off Regular

Nothing beats fun for
a good time.

Reply #1987 - Nov 8th, 2014 at 10:08pm
Nice one, Gazza. Gonna take me a bit to be able to afford it, but I'm well looking forward to it. One of my fave Dylan era's. Cheers for the review.

Here comes everybody.

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #1988 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 9:37am
"The Dictator's" Larry Charles recalls directing Bob Dylan
Posted by: Colin Covert under Music Updated: May 18, 2012 - 8:36 PM

Do you hear what I hear? Director Larry Charles. Photo: Associated Press

Long before he helped Sacha Baron Cohen create Kazakh TV's empty talking head Borat or Admiral General Aladeen of "The Dictator," Larry Charles was a prolific TV writer with no plans to tackle movies.

Then in 2001 he got a call to meet with Bob Dylan. Much to Charles' surprise, the encounter put him at the helm of Dylan's film comeback,  "Masked and Anonymous," co-starring Jeff Bridges, Penelope Cruz, Mickey Rourke, John Goodman, Jessica Lange, Christian Slater and Val Kilmer.  In a phone interview this week Charles shared the story.

"If you can believe it he was actually interested initially in doing a TV series, like an HBO series. He wanted it to be a comedy, so I went to a meeting with him. I thought, I'll have one meeting with him and I can tell all my friends I had a meeting with Bob Dylan, how cool would that be? I thought that would be the end of it but instead we totally hit it off right off the bat.

"The first thing he did, and this gives an illustration of how his mind works, he had this box on the table. He opened it and dumped out the box. It was all these little scraps of paper, stationery from all around the world. And on each scrap of paper was an aphorism or a line or a name of somebody. He dumped it out and said, 'I don't know what to do with all this.'

"I started looking and I said, 'This can be a line of dialog. And this could be the person's name who says the dialog.' He was like, 'You can do that?' I said, 'Yeah.' And I realized that's how he writes songs. He has all these fragments and he weaves the fragments until they become poetry. It's kind of automatic writing or the cut-up technique William Burroughs used. That's how we started to write that script actually. It was a very organic, very stream of consciousness process.

"At the same time he was very naive about the filmmaking process. the first day of shooting we had this big crane shot that had to come down in this large crowd in an abandoned bus station and find him at a counter, waiting. It was a big shot and this was my first day of shooting a movie. So I was all uptight as well.

"As we started to rehearse the shot I was hearing music over the headphones that I was wearing. And I was like, 'Where's that music coming from, we can't have music here.' The crew was scrambling around, looking for the music outside. We couldn't find the music.

"I looked in the monitor and saw Bob waiting. I thought, 'Oh God, this is my first day, he's going to get fidgety, he's going to get irritable. So I decided I wouldOf mood music and mixed signals tell him we're having a little technical difficulty, there's some music playing and we've got to find the music and turn it off.

"As I walked towards him the music got louder and louder and louder. And as I walked up to him I realized the music was emanating from him. And I thought, 'God, he really is a genius, the music just comes out of his pores.'

"Then I saw he had a little earphone in his ear and I said, 'Bob, what is that?'

"He's like, 'Johnny Depp told me to do it. he told me to listen to music while I was shooting.'

"I said, 'I don't think he meant to listen to music while we are shooting. I think he meant in between takes.' Turned out he had Johnny Depp's DJ out in the parking lot in a tent pumping music to him to get him in the mood to shoot. But he was pumping the music while we were shooting. There were certain lessons that needed to be learned like that."

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/blogs/152114935.html

IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #1989 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 4:14pm
Gazza wrote on Nov 8th, 2014 at 8:38pm:
Disc 6 is the one with lesser quality - hence the reason its listed as a bonus disc.

Many of the songs on Disc 4 are the same versions that were released on the original album. Cant see how they're 'terrible sound quality'

Disc 5 is the real find, for me. A reel that wasnt known of before, recorded AFTER Dylan cut 'John Wesley Harding' and which extends the sessions into 1968. The first ever version with The Band of 'Blowin' In The Wind', a lovely 'One too Many Mornings' similar to the live '66 arrangement and a fantastic cover of "Satisfied Mind" which Bob would cover with less success on 'Saved' in 1980. A lot of critically raves for 'Wild Wolf' (although admittedly it hasnt really registered with me THAT much yet) and stuff like 'Mary Lou' and '900 Miles' are terrific.

I'm a huge fan of The Basement Tapes sessions - so this is like manna from heaven for me, and is the one Bootleg Series release I've wanted above all others. It exceeds expectations.

I've always maintained that Dylan never SANG better than he did on these sessions, and this set absolutely vindicates that.

I really wish we'd got a fully developed take of 'I'm A Fool for You" - I've always loved that song. To the songs youve listed I'd add Roisin Le Beau. The French Girl, Belshazzar (check out Robbie's guitar licks!), the Auld Triangle and Joshua Gone Barbados to the list of excellent covers.

My favourite of all the covers though is Bob's take on 'I Forgot to Remember To Forget'.  Bob outsings Sun-era Elvis. And THAT is quite an achievement, in my eyes.

Well, I'm a sucker for good audio quality. No matter how good a song is, if the sound quality is not good, I throw it away. I forgot to mention "Bonnie Ship the Diamond" and "The Hills of Mexico". Two songs I like, but only had once in very poor quality. So I'm happy to have them now in at least a better quality. Besides that, It keeps amazing me how different people who love the Stones, can think  so differently about specific songs, whether it's the Stones or other artists. I've listened to the tracks you added, but for now they don't work for me. But that's the beauty of music Isn't it? I'll listen to them some more, and who knows I change my mind. LOL

IP Logged

Tumbling Dijs
Rocks Off Regular

The Stones in a club is
still the ultimate rush.

Reply #1990 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 4:42pm
I forgot to mention the poor sound quality of the original "Basement tapes", but I guess you won't agree with me on that one.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #1991 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 7:11pm
Tumbling Dijs wrote on Nov 9th, 2014 at 4:42pm:
I forgot to mention the poor sound quality of the original "Basement tapes", but I guess you won't agree with me on that one.

Well, to a point but I wouldnt call them 'poor'. They were never supposed to be released anyway. The 1975 album is a strange beast sonically - mono reproduced as 'collapsed stereo' by Robertson to make them sound like sort of 'authentic'.

The SA-CD reissue from about five years ago is a nice upgrade.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #1992 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 7:15pm
Tumbling Dijs wrote on Nov 9th, 2014 at 4:14pm:
Gazza wrote on Nov 8th, 2014 at 8:38pm:

Well, I'm a sucker for good audio quality. No matter how good a song is, if the sound quality is not good, I throw it away. I forgot to mention "Bonnie Ship the Diamond" and "The Hills of Mexico". Two songs I like, but only had once in very poor quality. So I'm happy to have them now in at least a better quality. Besides that, It keeps amazing me how different people who love the Stones, can think  so differently about specific songs, whether it's the Stones or other artists. I've listened to the tracks you added, but for now they don't work for me. But that's the beauty of music Isn't it? I'll listen to them some more, and who knows I change my mind. LOL

It could just be that I'm personally more into country and traditional folk than I am into blues. Dont get me wrong, I do like it, but maybe not as much as some Stones fans would be

... ... ...
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #1993 - Nov 24th, 2014 at 4:08pm
Bob Dylan Plays Concert for One Insanely Lucky Superfan

"I was smiling so much it was like I was on ecstasy," says Fredrik Wikingsson. "My jaw hurt for hours."

Simon Rudholm

Fredrik Wikingsson at the Philadelphia Academy of Music watching Bob Dylan in concert.

BY ANDY GREENE | November 24, 2014

Yesterday afternoon around 3:00 p.m. 41-year-old Bob Dylan superfan Fredrik Wikingsson walked into Philadelphia's Academy of Music, took a seat in the second row and prepared to watch his hero play a concert just for him. "At this point I still thought I was about to get Punk'd," he says. "I thought some asshole would walk onstage and just laugh at me. I just couldn't fathom that Dylan would actually do this."

This wasn't Punk'd, and within 10 minutes of Wikingsson taking his seat, the lights dimmed and Dylan took the stage alongside his touring band. Playing to an audience of one, they abandoned their usual repertoire and played Buddy Holly's "Heartbeat," Fats Domino's "Blueberry Hill," Chuck Willis' "It's Too Late (She's Gone)" and a blues jam that Wikingsson  has been unable to identify. "I was smiling so much it was like I was on ecstasy," he says. "My jaw hurt for hours afterwards because I couldn't stop smiling."

The incredible concert was part of an ongoing Swedish film series Experiment Ensam (Experiment Alone), where people experience things completely alone that are usually reserved for large crowds. Past films focused on a lone people at comedy clubs or karaoke bars. The filmmakers thought a lot bigger for this one and made arrangements with Dylan's camp for the private show, paying him an undisclosed amount of money. "I have no idea how much it was," says Wikingsson. "But it was probably more than he gets for a normal gig."

Wikingsson's friend Anders Helgeson is the director of Experiment Ensam, and when he told him about the Dylan concept he begged to be the subject. "I had an endless series of meetings where I managed to convince people my extreme fandom made me the best candidate for the enviable task," he says. "I'm very passive and I always picture myself as the guy that wouldn't be able to save himself on a sinking ship. I'd just lay down and die. I have no real ability to grab the moment, but when I heard about this I thought, 'For once, I have to stop everything in my life and go for something.'"

The day before the show, Wikingsson, a popular TV personality who lives in Stockholm, walked around New York's Greenwich Village with a camera crew and visited famous Dylan landmarks. On show day, he found himself so nervous he wasn't able to eat. "I was a fucking wreck," he says. "Part of me was thinking, 'Maybe this won't happen and it'll be for the best. I don't want to impose on Mr. Dylan. I don't want him to stand there and be grouchy, just hating it.'"

When he walked into the theater, he had the surreal experience of being able to pick any seat in the house. He went with a seat in the middle of the second row. "I thought the first row might freak him out," Wikingsson says. "I was like a guy picking the next-to-most expensive bottle of wine in a restaurant, which is a very Swedish thing to do. I figured the second row would be ideal. Malcolm Gladwell would probably have all sorts of theories about this."

The light dimmed 10 incredibly anxious minutes after he walked in. "It was completely dark and empty," Wikingsson says. "Then a guy walks onstage and started talking to the lighting guy. Turns out it was Dylan and he nodded at me. There wasn't any ceremony at all. He just started talking to his bassist and drummer about how they were going to start the first song."

Dylan's set list has remarkably rigid over the past year, centering largely around songs released in the past 15 years. Covers are remarkably rare, so Wikingsson was delighted when the show began with "Heartbeat." "I liked Buddy Holly before I liked Dylan," he says. "I felt like Christmas morning."

He broke out into applause when the song finished. "Nobody took notice of me," he says. "I figured that maybe it just sounded phony or weird. During the second song, 'Blueberry Hill,' I realized I had to say something. It was just too weird. I screamed out, 'You guys sound great!' That caused Dylan to burst out laughing. Now, I have two kids and their births were great, but him laughing onstage at some lousy fucking comment of mine was unbelievable."

At the end of "It's Too Late (She's Gone)" Dylan performed a harmonica solo. "I always detest people that that automatically holler and applaud every time he breaks out the harmonica," says Wikingsson. "But I found myself almost weeping when he played the solo. He could have just ended the song without the solo, he wanted it to be great."

The show wrapped up with a blues song. "It's still a big mystery to me," says Wikingsson. "This will probably be a embarrassing for me because it might be a well-known blues song. I'm sure when I get the tapes I can figure out what it was. When the show ended Dylan said, 'Swing by anytime.' He was highlighting the fact this was a weird thing that will never happen again. It was just so fucking great."

Dylan played a public show that night, but Wikingsson decided to not go. "It would be weird and nothing could top this," he says. "To be honest, I went to a karaoke bar with the production guys and sang my throat out. I selected all Dylan songs, but they just had these crappy Byrds versions."

Wikingsson's private Dylan show was filmed by eight cameras, and a 15 minute documentary of the event will hit YouTube on December 15th. "Fans might detest the fact that I'm sitting there," he says. "But it's going to be really cool and great looking. The sound was just incredible."

He's also going to talk at great length about the experience on his popular English language podcast The Filip and Fredrik podcast.

Now that the whole experience is behind him, Wikingsson has one final dream: "I want Dylan to released an official Columbia EP of the concert called Songs for Fredrick."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bob-dylan-plays-concert-for-one-insanely-...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #1994 - Nov 24th, 2014 at 7:03pm
Great gesture, but on the downside, this puts paid to his "must win gross" hopes for yet another year

... ... ...
IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Rocks Off Regular

Champaign, IL.
Reply #1995 - Nov 25th, 2014 at 7:50am
Anyone know the release date for his 2015 album please?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #1996 - Nov 25th, 2014 at 7:57am
No one does. There's not even a confirmed track listing yet, although this post (the bit in bold below) from expectingrain.com comes from someone who claims to have heard it and knows what was recorded.

Of the songs listed, "Stay With Me" has been closing most of Bob's most recent shows, and "Full Moon and Empty Arms" was posted on bobdylan.com early in the summer at a time when the album appeared to be approaching a release date, and then was pulled soon after

These are most of the tunes recorded by Bob and his current band (with guitarist Dean Parks added for a few tunes) during the sessions at Capitol recorded during Jan/Feb this year:

All Or Nothing At All
All The Way
Autumn Leaves
Come Rain Or Come Shine
Didn’t He Ramble
Full Moon And Empty Arms
I’m A Fool To Want You
It Had To Be You
Maybe You’ll Be There
Melancholy Baby
On A Little Street In Singapore
Polkadots and Moonbeams
Skylark
Some Enchanted Evening
Stay With Me
Stormy Weather
That Lonely Old Sun
That Old Black Magic
The Night They Called It A Day
What’ll I Do
Why Try To Change Me Now
Young at Heart

I have no idea what made the cut for the final released version of Shadows In The Night nor do I know the actual release date. But some of this stuff is flat out amazing!
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2014 at 8:01am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

steel driving hammer
Rocks Off Regular

Champaign, IL.
Reply #1997 - Nov 25th, 2014 at 10:33am
Thanks Gazza, yer the Man of all Seasons...
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2014 at 11:15am by steel driving hammer »  

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #1998 - Nov 25th, 2014 at 7:30pm
Edith Grove wrote on Nov 24th, 2014 at 4:08pm:
Bob Dylan Plays Concert for One Insanely Lucky Superfan

"I was smiling so much it was like I was on ecstasy," says Fredrik Wikingsson. "My jaw hurt for hours."

Simon Rudholm

Fredrik Wikingsson at the Philadelphia Academy of Music watching Bob Dylan in concert.

BY ANDY GREENE | November 24, 2014

Yesterday afternoon around 3:00 p.m. 41-year-old Bob Dylan superfan Fredrik Wikingsson walked into Philadelphia's Academy of Music, took a seat in the second row and prepared to watch his hero play a concert just for him. "At this point I still thought I was about to get Punk'd," he says. "I thought some asshole would walk onstage and just laugh at me. I just couldn't fathom that Dylan would actually do this."

This wasn't Punk'd, and within 10 minutes of Wikingsson taking his seat, the lights dimmed and Dylan took the stage alongside his touring band. Playing to an audience of one, they abandoned their usual repertoire and played Buddy Holly's "Heartbeat," Fats Domino's "Blueberry Hill," Chuck Willis' "It's Too Late (She's Gone)" and a blues jam that Wikingsson  has been unable to identify. "I was smiling so much it was like I was on ecstasy," he says. "My jaw hurt for hours afterwards because I couldn't stop smiling."

The incredible concert was part of an ongoing Swedish film series Experiment Ensam (Experiment Alone), where people experience things completely alone that are usually reserved for large crowds. Past films focused on a lone people at comedy clubs or karaoke bars. The filmmakers thought a lot bigger for this one and made arrangements with Dylan's camp for the private show, paying him an undisclosed amount of money. "I have no idea how much it was," says Wikingsson. "But it was probably more than he gets for a normal gig."

Wikingsson's friend Anders Helgeson is the director of Experiment Ensam, and when he told him about the Dylan concept he begged to be the subject. "I had an endless series of meetings where I managed to convince people my extreme fandom made me the best candidate for the enviable task," he says. "I'm very passive and I always picture myself as the guy that wouldn't be able to save himself on a sinking ship. I'd just lay down and die. I have no real ability to grab the moment, but when I heard about this I thought, 'For once, I have to stop everything in my life and go for something.'"

The day before the show, Wikingsson, a popular TV personality who lives in Stockholm, walked around New York's Greenwich Village with a camera crew and visited famous Dylan landmarks. On show day, he found himself so nervous he wasn't able to eat. "I was a fucking wreck," he says. "Part of me was thinking, 'Maybe this won't happen and it'll be for the best. I don't want to impose on Mr. Dylan. I don't want him to stand there and be grouchy, just hating it.'"

When he walked into the theater, he had the surreal experience of being able to pick any seat in the house. He went with a seat in the middle of the second row. "I thought the first row might freak him out," Wikingsson says. "I was like a guy picking the next-to-most expensive bottle of wine in a restaurant, which is a very Swedish thing to do. I figured the second row would be ideal. Malcolm Gladwell would probably have all sorts of theories about this."

The light dimmed 10 incredibly anxious minutes after he walked in. "It was completely dark and empty," Wikingsson says. "Then a guy walks onstage and started talking to the lighting guy. Turns out it was Dylan and he nodded at me. There wasn't any ceremony at all. He just started talking to his bassist and drummer about how they were going to start the first song."

Dylan's set list has remarkably rigid over the past year, centering largely around songs released in the past 15 years. Covers are remarkably rare, so Wikingsson was delighted when the show began with "Heartbeat." "I liked Buddy Holly before I liked Dylan," he says. "I felt like Christmas morning."

He broke out into applause when the song finished. "Nobody took notice of me," he says. "I figured that maybe it just sounded phony or weird. During the second song, 'Blueberry Hill,' I realized I had to say something. It was just too weird. I screamed out, 'You guys sound great!' That caused Dylan to burst out laughing. Now, I have two kids and their births were great, but him laughing onstage at some lousy fucking comment of mine was unbelievable."

At the end of "It's Too Late (She's Gone)" Dylan performed a harmonica solo. "I always detest people that that automatically holler and applaud every time he breaks out the harmonica," says Wikingsson. "But I found myself almost weeping when he played the solo. He could have just ended the song without the solo, he wanted it to be great."

The show wrapped up with a blues song. "It's still a big mystery to me," says Wikingsson. "This will probably be a embarrassing for me because it might be a well-known blues song. I'm sure when I get the tapes I can figure out what it was. When the show ended Dylan said, 'Swing by anytime.' He was highlighting the fact this was a weird thing that will never happen again. It was just so fucking great."

Dylan played a public show that night, but Wikingsson decided to not go. "It would be weird and nothing could top this," he says. "To be honest, I went to a karaoke bar with the production guys and sang my throat out. I selected all Dylan songs, but they just had these crappy Byrds versions."

Wikingsson's private Dylan show was filmed by eight cameras, and a 15 minute documentary of the event will hit YouTube on December 15th. "Fans might detest the fact that I'm sitting there," he says. "But it's going to be really cool and great looking. The sound was just incredible."

He's also going to talk at great length about the experience on his popular English language podcast The Filip and Fredrik podcast.

Now that the whole experience is behind him, Wikingsson has one final dream: "I want Dylan to released an official Columbia EP of the concert called Songs for Fredrick."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bob-dylan-plays-concert-for-one-insanely-...

well he missed a wonderful evening. absolutely charming old world venue for new old world music. spellbinding

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #1999 - Dec 2nd, 2014 at 6:57am
Looks like we're getting a 'Copyright Extension' limited edition boxed set for the third year in a row.

From the steve hoffman forums via Expecting Rain

Bob Dylan Public Domain, 50th anniversary recordings (1964) will be a one off pressing limited to 1000 across Europe. The format will be a 9 piece LP Vinyl in a slipcase.
Release date 8th Dec (this is likely to move back one week)

Have to say I'm surprised the Stones havent been obliged to do this kind of thing too.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 ... 89
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)